Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler About the result of the season finale...

pnylvr

Two questions I have about the new changeling forms:

1) What do you call the new forms? Personally I like ColorChangelings or neo-changelings as new names, but I was wondering if anyone had a name for them.

2) Are the forms intended for a new toyline, Rainbow Power-style? They seem too garishly colored to be purely a stylistic choice.

1.  I like to think of them as "Ascended Changelings".

"this is a changeling.

And this is what is known as a Changeling that has Ascended BEYOND a changeling. Or you can call this Changeling 2.

And this is... is to go even further beyond!"

• Brohoof 4

"this is a changeling.

And this is what is known as a Changeling that has Ascended BEYOND a changeling. Or you can call this Changeling 2.

And this is... is to go even further beyond!"

Chrysalis checks her watch as Thorax screams for 10 minutes. 

• Brohoof 1

It'll be interesting going forward, for sure. Wouldn't it be funny if, despite his new status, Thorax's voice and personality/awkwardness remained unchanged?

I still call them changelings. I mean, it is what they are still. Reformed Changelings I guess can be another term but it doesn't roll off the tongue that well. That or Fabulous Changelings. Fabulings.

About the toys, it is possible. The use of such bright colors could mean they wanted a more happy looking form of the changelings themselves. I myself am fine with the new design, but I am in the same ballpark as AV, the colors are just...off. Too many bright colors colliding with each other with little consistency. The older colors meshed together so very well and I would have preferred them keeping those colors for the new design, but it is what it is I guess.

I'm not too sure how I feel about the new designs, I liked the black and blues. Now they seem too... pony, for lack of a better word. it makes them feel less unique. However, a possible silver lining is I am hoping that this means Changelings will be more prominent in the next season. Hell, I'd settle for them just showing up in the background like Crystal Ponies have been.

Although, I noticed Thorax never said a word after he became the new Changeling King. Maybe it's nothing, but I'm hoping that doesn't mean we won't be seeing much more of him, cause he was my favorite part of this entire finale.

Edited by PoisonClaw

1.  I like to think of them as "Ascended Changelings".

2.  I wouldn't be surprised if they became a new toy line.

This is starting to make me think they're deliberately making characters change into something to sell something.

Pity they didn't make a Rapidash Twilight when Twilight became that.

1) Here's some names:

- Blinglings

- Vomitlings

- Haberlings

- Colorlings

- Goodlings

- Weirdcolorschemelings

- Gaylings

- Toylings

- Buttwinglings

2) I mean, I'd like to say yes and make the character designers innocent, but I just don't believe girls (or their parents, rather) will want to buy bug toys.

That new form the changelings took --  It looks "permanent" to me.  I wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't shapeshift anymore once adopting said form.

Why would they bother? Now that Thorax is opening up relationships with Celestia to further improve friendship between Changelings and ponies, I don't think they need the shape-shifting powers anymore.

If I had the power to shapeshift all my life, I would not be amused at seeing their new form in the mirror every morning.

Plus shifting has a certain freedom associated with it.

I was asking the same question. Will they retain those shapeshifting powers, or since they're now "complete", will they lose it?

That's a question that might be answered in Season 7.

1) What do you call the new forms? Personally I like ColorChangelings or neo-changelings as new names, but I was wondering if anyone had a name for them.

Finally, now that I can see the finale after top bolt.  I like the name 'Neo-changelings' but I get the feeling that wouldn't exactly work and we would need a new name entirely.  Because literally, they just all evolved past their Queen!! Holy fudge, an evolutionary process was just shown here wit the changelings. That's crazy interesting to me.

It'll be interesting going forward, for sure. Wouldn't it be funny if, despite his new status, Thorax's voice and personality/awkwardness remained unchanged?

I really hope it is left unchanged. If they change his voice and personality, then there is pretty much nothing left of the real Thorax and it will be like they killed him off. =(

TINO - Thorax In Name Only. =/

Finally, now that I can see the finale after top bolt.  I like the name 'Neo-changelings' but I get the feeling that wouldn't exactly work and we would need a new name entirely.  Because literally, they just all evolved past their Queen!! Holy fudge, an evolutionary process was just shown here wit the changelings. That's crazy interesting to me.

As a biochemistry major, no, this is not an example of evolution.  Evolution is the process of gradual change over time of a population through natural selection that results in a species well suited for survival in its ecosystem.  What we saw instead has more in common with New Age concepts of ascended consciousness than it does the scientific theory of evolution.  Not only was the jump from Changeling to Neo/Ascended Changeling complete in a matter of seconds, but this new species does not seem to demonstrate any sort of revolutionary adaptation to their environment.

Edited by Hazard Time

What we saw instead has more in common with New Age concepts of ascended consciousness than it does the scientific theory of evolution.  Not only was the jump from Changeling to Neo/Ascended Changeling complete in a matter of seconds, but this new species does not seem to demonstrate any sort of revolutionary adaptation to their environment.

Huh. See, I was thinking it was a form of metamorphosis that the whole species went through together.  But I guess that doesn't make much sense.

Huh. See, I was thinking it was a form of metamorphosis that the whole species went through together.  But I guess that doesn't make much sense.

Metamorphosis is also a possibility, especially because, when Thorax first changed, for a brief moment, he had turned into a chrysalis.  While not biologically sound as this doesn't seem to be a part of their life cycle, it wouldn't really hurt as much to label the process as such.

• Brohoof 1

As a biochemistry major, no, this is not an example of evolution. Evolution is the process of gradual change over time of a population through natural selection that results in a species well suited for survival in its ecosystem. Instead, the changelings exhibited the ability to change simply by sharing their love, which barely took a few seconds. On top of that, this new form does not seem to demonstrate any sort of adaptation to their environment that would increase the survival of their species. If anything, this event has more in common with New Age concepts of ascended consciousness than it does the scientific theory of evolution.

I'll admit, I was using the term completely out of it's actual definition. Evolution isn't a good choice of words here on my part.

It was more or less an attempt to describe a very fast and abrupt change that occurred, but not really due to an adaption to the environment based on survival in an ecosystem. But as stated, poor choice of words, apologies for that 

The thing is this, this kind of abrupt change is what I was trying to get at.  What exactly just occurred here? Looking into it, I can see what you mean with a new age paradigm but I want to also question, what exactly just happened to the changelings here with their physical and genetic forms ?  Yes I can see a new belief occurring here, but does that mean Changelings no longer need to feed on love as a form of nourishment ? (I acknowledge it was never really understood how Changelings are able to actually gain nutrients by feeding on love).  Surely there must be some other biological changes that occurred along with their new forms ? Granted, I'm working on the presumption that with their new forms, they no longer need love to feed themselves.

Edited by pony.colin
  • Brohoof 1

The thing is this, this kind of abrupt change is what I was trying to get at.  What exactly just occurred here? Looking into it, I can see what you mean with a new age paradigm but I want to also question, what exactly just happened to the changelings here with their physical and genetic forms ?  Yes I can see a new belief occurring here, but does that mean Changelings no longer need to feed on love as a form of nourishment ? (I acknowledge it was never really understood how Changelings are able to actually gain nutrients by feeding on love).  Surely there must be some other biological changes that occurred along with their new forms ? Granted, I'm working on the presumption that with their new forms, they no longer need love to feed themselves.

This is the part where we get into headcanon territory as the show staff have not provided a biological explanation of how changelings are able to gain nourishment from immaterial concepts such as emotions.  My best guess is that they're magical beings, and thus, sustain themselves in magical ways.  Before they ascended/metamorphosed, they functioned as parasites, replacing loved ones and absorbing the love generated by their "host".  Post-ascension/metamorphosis, however, and it seems as if they're now capable of generating their own love and sharing it among themselves, rending their old parasitic ways obsolete.

• Brohoof 1

As a biochemistry major, no, this is not an example of evolution.  Evolution is the process of gradual change over time of a population through natural selection that results in a species well suited for survival in its ecosystem.  What we saw instead has more in common with New Age concepts of ascended consciousness than it does the scientific theory of evolution.  Not only was the jump from Changeling to Neo/Ascended Changeling complete in a matter of seconds, but this new species does not seem to demonstrate any sort of revolutionary adaptation to their environment.

Don't give me that, I've seen pokemon, This is clearly evolution! :P

maxresdefault.jpg

• Brohoof 1