Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Smartphones with replaceable batteries

SaburoDaimando

Ever since a few years ago, I've been noticing a number of Smartphones having more and more embedded batteries, and there are less phones now that have replaceable batteries(Like the LG V10).  I've heard the whole "Embedded Batteries has a longer charge life."  But what if the battery dies out for good and I have to replace it?  Then unless I knew how to pry the whole phone open, I would be out of luck.

That and the whole Galaxy Note 7's recent problems.

But I still wonder why we don't seem to mind the end of replaceable batteries?  It was a huge convenience to swap out the battery if it died out for good, or if you need a 2nd shot of power to get through the day.

I still rock my Galaxy S3. I've gone through a couple batteries, and even though it's the device's end of the road soon, it lasted way longer than what other people's phones do it seems. Part of it is I'm super cheap and don't like unnecessary expenses, and the second is I like being able to use a device until it bites the dust. Throwing out a phone and replacing it because of all things, the battery, seems silly to me. That's why I do not like embedded phones, because a quick battery swap can extend the life of your phone for years.

• Brohoof 1

I have an ASUS ZenFone 2, which I am so-so happy with. Honestly, I do worry about it though since it runs non-normal hardware (Intel Atom-based instead of ARM-based).

I think that the "non-removable" battery thing is bad, but they do it so you must send it in to the repair center, or buy a new phone, meaning more $$$ for the company.

I'm almost certain it's so that people have to buy new phones.  Of course you could take it in to replace it but that can be risky.  My phone has a easily replaceable battery though and that thing is quite new so some companies are building replaceable ones at least. 

I'm almost certain it's so that people have to buy new phones.  Of course you could take it in to replace it but that can be risky.  My phone has a easily replaceable battery though and that thing is quite new so some companies are building replaceable ones at least. 

Considering with what happened with the Galaxy Note 7, that alone may be my sole reason why replaceable batteries need to be a standard again in Smartphones.  Especially if the battery was the real problem and not the phone.

Thing is that gadget producers think that you will use your phone 2-3 years and one battery is usually enough fot it's life cycle. In case if your battery dead you still can change it in service center like broken screen glass and any other part of your device.

Ponyshrug.gif

Thing is that gadget producers think that you will use your phone 2-3 years and one battery is usually enough fot it's life cycle. In case if your battery dead you still can change it in service center like broken screen glass and any other part of your device.

sig-4692105.Ponyshrug.gif

But that usually costs more money to have someone replace the battery for you.  Especially if its an iPhone.

But that usually costs more money to have someone replace the battery for you.  Especially if its an iPhone.

Yes, it does. Original battery for iPhone would cost money too. And if you bought iPhone, just deal with the fact that Apple knows better than you. On the market a lot of other models with replaceble batteries by the way.

Yes, it does. Original battery for iPhone would cost money too. And if you bought iPhone, just deal with the fact that Apple knows better than you. On the market a lot of other models with replaceble batteries by the way.

Not as much as there use to be, considering that replaceable batteries are becoming rare when it comes to Smartphones.  LG has been doing a good job with having replaceable batteries in Smartphones since the G3.

I think its partially a dirty marketing ploy. Phones have got to the point where incremental upgrades arent as dramatic as they once were. By locking access to the battery, it allows phone manufacturers to use battery life as a technical specification rather than simply allowing users to hot swap out batteries should this be required for their daily use.

Also in the long game, batteries degrade. So one day whether you like it or not, you will have to upgrade just so your phone will make it through a day on a single charge. Im not sure why nobody is really talking about this, but it was one of the reasons I picked the G5 over the S7.

Edited by Celtore

I think its partially a dirty marketing ploy. Phones have got to the point where incremental upgrades arent as dramatic as they once were. By locking access to the battery, it allows phone manufacturers to use battery life as a technical specification rather than simply allowing users to hot swap out batteries should this be required for their daily use.

Also in the long game, batteries degrade. So one day whether you like it or not, you will have to upgrade just so your phone will make it through a day on a single charge. Im not sure why nobody is really talking about this, but it was one of the reasons I picked the G5 over the S7.

Glad you chose the LG G5 over the Samsung Galaxy S7.  

The only Samsung phone I know of that has a replaceable battery is the Samsung Galaxy Note 4, and at least that doesn't explode as if it were in a Michael Bay film.

I'm sure the battery in my ZenFone is removable somehow. There's a plastic part going over the middle of the battery, with the microSD and two SIM card slots (it's a global unlocked phone) on it.

Anyone else have a ZenFone? If so, can you tell me how to remove the battery out of reference?

I'm sure the battery in my ZenFone is removable somehow. There's a plastic part going over the middle of the battery, with the microSD and two SIM card slots (it's a global unlocked phone) on it.

Anyone else have a ZenFone? If so, can you tell me how to remove the battery out of reference?

Nice to bring that up.  I took alook at the phone, and noticed the removeable cover of the ZenFone, and the fact that you can replace the battery with an Asus brand.

I still have my Galaxy S5 and its battery performance has declined lately but I do have a spare that should last me a while longer. I wouldn't mind a phone with an embedded battery as long as the battery is well-made and doesn't start acting up quickly.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...

So far I have only had one phone need a battery replacement, but something inside died so the cell antenna quit. If the antenna wouldn't have, it definitely would have needed a new battery. That was a Note 8. Had to charge it twice a day. Managed to get the back 95% off before breaking it...which once it was open changing the battery wasn't that bad, but it was pointless then.

Now this note 9 I'm on has to last quite a while...as I see nothing of interest on the market for me.

I have more complaints with how to get the phone open and shut again...even the replaceable battery kind seemed...like you weren't supposed to open and shut it much.

I actually think phones with replaceable batteries hold a charge longer. The phone I used to have before I broke it, I only had to charge like 2 times a week. My new S21, I have to charge 3 or 4 times a week. Granted, the charging on the new phone is faster, but still it's less convenient.