Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is coffee bad for you?

Heavenly Inexplicit

I'm just curious, because if it's not healthy then I don't want to drink it anymore.

I've been told that it's okay to drink in small doses, and that's what I've been doing.

But if there's no real health benefit other than making me feel good for a few hours then I don't see any point in drinking it.

Thanks in advance!

I'm just curious, because if it's not healthy then I don't want to drink it anymore.

I've been told that it's okay to drink in small doses, and that's what I've been doing.

But if there's no real health benefit other than making me feel good for a few hours then I don't see any point in drinking it.

Thanks in advance!

I have been addicted for years, and I don' drink fast food coffee. I buy organic coffee from local places, yes there is a difference in health quality. However the main issue with coffee is adrenal fatigue, not just the caffeine. Coffee should also NEVER be drank on an empty stomach, always eat something before hand. 

Edited by SunsetBaconDrive
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I have been addicted for years, and I don' drink fast food coffee. I buy organic coffee from local places, yes there is a difference in health quality. However the main issue with coffee is adrenal fatigue, not just the caffeine. Coffee should also NEVER be drank on an empty stomach, always eat something before hand.

Thank you for the information.

But is the difference in health quality positive or negative?

Edited by Heavenly Sun

There are some studies that say coffee is actually healthy for you. With most anything, don't go overboard and you'll be fine. 

I drink a couple cups a day - I used to drink about 6 a day but that was way too much, plus with the amount of calories from milk and sugar I might as well have been drinking soda. I found my happy number, and I'm sure you can find yours. 

(pst...for more coffee fun:  https://mlpforums.com/topic/133357-coffee-drinkers-unite/page-19 )

• Brohoof 2

It's meant to have several health benefits, in moderation - granted it is best without sugar, as that adds a large negative to its healthy-ness.

There is some evidence to show that it can provide some protection against liver cancer, Parkinson's, heart disease and even type II diabetes (obvs when taken without the aforementioned sugar). Though, I've not read the actual studies, this is all hear-say, so can't vouch for the accuracy of everything.

But, having too much does start to provide negatives such as headaches, high blood pressure, sleep issues (insomnia) and can affect your digestive system. So, like all things, moderation is key.

• Brohoof 3

A couple studies say it reduces the risk of Alzheimer's , so that's a thing..

*Googles*

"It is responsible for a number of bioactivities and a number of compounds accounting for these effects. Few of the significant bioactivities documented are antioxidant activity, anticarcinogenic activity, antimutagenic activity etc."

-"Coffee and health: a review of recent human research." Critical reviews in food science and nutrition

Apperantly It also slows aging and reduces risk of cancer....which is good! 

• Brohoof 4

As long as you don't drink too much, you're fine, it might actually be benefitial. Though I used to drink 2-3 cups a day and that gave me a LOT of sleeping problems, so avoid doing that.

Too much of anything is bad for you, but it's fine to enjoy it in moderation. I'm a fairly regular drinker of coffee, though I prefer tea personally, but both contain respective amounts of caffeine. My only suggestion would be to avoid drinking too late at night or if you're suffering from an illness, because as a stimulant it will naturally keep your body more active and prevent you from shutting off. Also, like all drugs, it eventually wears off and can leave you wanting more in order to counter the withdrawal effects.

I wouldn't say it is inherently bad for you. If it was, it wouldn't be one of the most consumed and enjoyed beverages in the world today. A couple of cups a day won't kill you, just don't go guzzling gallons a day and you'll be fine. ^_^

• Brohoof 2

I avoid caffeine now as I know it makes my anxiety 10x worse. If you have problems with anxiety then I would not recommend it, at all.

I like the taste of coffee so I will occasionally drink decaf coffee. I'm aware it still contains caffeine but there's a LOT less compared to a regular cup of coffee. 

Edited by Kayleigh
  • Brohoof 1

Thank you for the information.

But is the difference in health quality positive or negative?

Dunkins, Starbucks, Green Mountain, Newman's and Folgers are all grown at low altitude. Coffee is ripe and grown right at higher altitudes. The big corporations get their coffee from poorly maintained swamp/marshes, because it is cheaper and faster for them. The coffee grown at higher altitudes is better for you.. But the negative effects on your hormones are still present. I read that coffee is meant to be consumed as the actual plant... Not to be roasted.

Edited by SunsetBaconDrive
  • Brohoof 1

As Dark Horse said:

Too much of anything is bad for you

It's not a risk to your health. However, drinking way too much of, well, anything that has caffeine in it, can cause problems with your heart, etc. So, if you drink a couple everyday, you'll be alright. :D

Edited by Guest

Dunkins, Starbucks, Green Mountain, Newman's and Folgers are all grown at low altitude. Coffee is ripe and grown right at higher altitudes. The big corporations get their coffee from poorly maintained swamp/marshes, because it is cheaper and faster for them. The coffee grown at higher altitudes is better for you.. But the negative effects on your hormones are still present. I read that coffee is meant to be consumed as the actual plant... Not to be roasted.

As Dark Horse said:

It's not a risk to your health. However, drinking way too much of, well, anything that has caffeine in it, can cause problems with your heart, etc. So, if you drink a couple everyday, you'll be alright. :D

The natural antioxidants in coffee are great for your health but adding processed sugar and artificially made creamer outweighs the benefits.

Thanks for the answers. This eliminates any worries I had concerning my coffee consumption.

• Brohoof 1

Everything has its pros and cons, so moderation is the key to pretty much anything. I used to drink insane energy drinks every day and eventually I built up an intolerance to them and they were making me sick. The caffeine levels were high but my heart rate and blood pressure weren't the problem; it was just making me queasy.

I think the problems were with some of the ingredients unique to what I was drinking and not a matter of caffeine levels, because I switched to coffee and haven't had any problems with it at all.

I drink two or three cups a day with lots of sugar and I'm doing fine.  

• Brohoof 1

When it comes to anything containing a chemical that can become addictive.. the key is in moderation. With caffeine specifically, getting addicted to it can lead to heart problems if you consume enough of it over time. Caffeine, like many substances, your body can build a tolerance for, so the more you consume, the less it will affect you in time, as your body adjusts to the effect. If you stick to one or two cups max, you usually don't run the risk of having any negative side effects. That said, it also depends on your body mass partly. If you drink more than you normally do, you may feel more awake, but when you go for your second cup the next day, you may notice you're less awake than you were the day before after cup #2. This is where the slippery slope comes in. If you end up getting addicted to caffeine, there are mild withdrawal effects when you don't get any in your system, usually irritability and fatigue, sometimes headaches as well. Generally coffee isn't bad for you though, unless you have heart problems to begin with, it's not really a huge problem.

I used to drink energy drinks, loaded with caffeine, and I ended up having chest pains from them, so I stopped buying them. I highly recommend never touching those things.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 years later...

It can stain your teeth, and the caffeine in it is known to cause a temporary boost in your energy but a long term effect of actually lowering your energy after high doses and long term use. The later negative effect of coffee that I mentioned can be prevented at a cost, you simply just have de-caffeinated coffee at the cost of not having an immediate energy boost due to lack of caffeine. The former negative effect is something that occurs long term and isn't really severe unless you care about your teeth's appearance. Aside from those two negative effects though, there is nothing else that I am aware of that would make coffee bad for you.

It really depends on the person. For some people it is, for some people it's actually good for them.

As for me, coffee is no good. soda honestly is better than coffee for me. Coffee actually wears me down, but I'm hyper af when I drink a lot of soda.

Edited by Ayyngel Dust