Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Creepy crawlies. (spiders etc)

Midnight Scribbler

Arachnophobics be warned, there will be spider pics. xD

I thought I'd start a thread for all those of you who aren't as terrified of our little crawly comrades. I for one actually love bugs and spiders, and I know I'm not alone there. I thought I'd start a thread to see if anyone else has some cool pictures they took of bugs/spiders etc. I have a couple of my own. And of course, it's the right time of year for creepy stuff. Cause spoopy night, you know. xD

So many people instantly react to spiders and anything small and fast with the instinct of burning, swatting or generally flipping their lids until it's flat and unmoving. I can't blame anyone who lives in a part of the world where actually dangerous bugs are, but I can't say I have the same reaction. Mostly I find them too fascinating to be scared of them. In fact, I actually find jumping spiders to be completely adorable.  :wub:

Hugs?
giphy.gif

I've actually spent time researching a lot, and interacting with a lot of bugs, and I've learned a lot of ways you can deal with them without needing to smush them into a fine paste. In fact many carnivorous bugs are better to have around, cause they deal with pests you'd rather not have in your home.

For those of you who think I'm strange for liking spiders..

F2C7X4G.gif

So, anyone else out there not afraid of bugs?  :catface:

• Brohoof 3

I'm sorry but I am afraid of bugs, having lived in the Midwest and having been dined on extensively by quite a few of them. I will admit, some bugs are okay, even spiders (from a distance). I think Tarantulas are majestic and amazing to look at because they're almost too unreal to be believed. And the first spider you show under the spoiler there is kind of cute, like he's reaching out for a hug. I'll give that one a passing grade too. 

I don't mind Scorpions, Mantises or Crickets, and I love Ladybugs, Butterflies and Fireflies. But you can keep Mosquitoes, Ticks and Chiggers; smashing them with a newspaper is too good for them. 

I know some bugs eat others and that's fine, but I'd rather leave it up to toads and bats to do the clean-up work; they're not so icky to me. 

• Brohoof 3

Kind of like bugs a fair bit myself, I've spent time ogling the odd wolf spider or mantis. They're quite cleverly designed tiny predators & the lil' fuzzy ones are cute too. If one hops on me, I'm still gonna freak out of course, but their fun to follow around. Don't know why butterflies get such free publicity, like they were fairies. You stare one in the eyes and they're just as creepy as any spider. Plus, spiders eat all the nasty lil' buggies too, like mosquitos and flies.

And if there is ANY species that's ever existed that I'd want to personally wipe off the planet, it'd be those disease-ridden, buzzing menaces! Bah! Flies! How a species can exist when they're too stupid to not hit the same place seven times in succession or to not literally fly right into the mouth of a bigger animal! Spiders might be a favored species of mine solely because of fly-control! That, and Miss Muffet.

Oh, and speaking of violence towards insects. My mother hates them so much that once, when we had to deal with locust/grasshopper swarms back in Texas, she bought some special amoeba thing that infected them until they burst. Talk about inhumane! Effective & natural, but still vicious.

• Brohoof 1

@@Dreambiscuit,

lol actually you pointed out one of the main reasons I love spiders. They eat all the pests I don't like. Aka flies, mosquitos etc. Parasites are always gross, even for me. I don't mind bugs, but the blood suckers.. well they just suck.

Speaking of which, if you ever find one of these guys, don't kill it.

This is a pseudoscorpion. It has no stinger, and doesn't bite.. it does however hunt bed bugs, which do bite.

pseudoscorpion_on_finger.jpg

@@Widdershins,
That sounds pretty nasty, though not so much when you compare it to how most bugs consume other bugs. They get pretty vicious, and most can't eat their prey whole, so their meals stay alive while they get eaten most times. Bugs have it rough, hence why they're so plentiful.

• Brohoof 3

I actually find spiders fascinating and try not to kill them as much as possible. However, I live in a place where Black Widows are common and sharing households isn't exactly safe. I honestly wouldn't kill them if they weren't so dangerous. There's also a different spider around here that's said to paralyze you if bitten by one, so that one must go as well. (I don't know what the name of it is, but they're a lot more common here than Black Widows.)

Screw centipedes though, those monsters eat spiders.

Ah god, I've been afraid of spiders since I was a little kid but the weird thing is that Spiderman used to be by far my favorite superhero of all time, lol. I kind of had to deal with it, though it helped me out with my fear quite a bit actually. Don't get me wrong, I still do not enjoy being with a spider or bugs overall, I will kill them in an instant, but before I'd run away screaming, lol.

The key to not fearing something lies in understanding it. For me, I never really was afraid of bugs. As a kid, I was kind of creeped out by spiders, because I knew they could bite, and at that age, I wasn't aware of the fact that my part of the world has no deadly or dangerous species of spider. Or any insect for that matter.

Most bites happen due to accidental contact, even with the most dangerous insects. They definitely aren't out to hunt you, because you're many hundreds of times their size. I could definitely understand wanting to kill black widows and the like, however I would probably still find myself bottling and releasing them out in the woods. They're not likely to return once you relocate them. Most spiders, once disturbed from their web (for those that spin webs) Usually don't return when they feel that place is threatening.

Another thing to keep in mind is their body language. Different spiders have different movements, but one trait that usually stands for all of them, if you see their forelegs raised straight up, they're about to attack whatever comes within reach. This is a bad time to poke at them with anything, cause they'll grab whatever it is, and likely bite it. This pose only happens when they feel threatened by something poking at them, or when they're about to catch something to eat.
This is actually kind of neat, cause you can see the fangs ready under the head there. This one is a wolf spider, generally harmless.

"Come at me bruh"
spider3.jpg
*images courtesy of Google. xD

These spiders on the other hand, you should be very cautious of. They're native to Australia, but I've heard they inhabit parts of the southern USA like around Texas. This is the Brown Recluse, it's the most venomous spider in the world, and can kill if it bites. Note the violin shaped marking on its head. They're generally nocturnal, and hide in dark places during the day. Usually they squeeze into crevices to stay hidden from potential dangers. If you see one of these, be very cautious about how you deal with it, cause they're extremely fast as well.

brown-recluse-spider-view.jpg

I'll post some of my own pics next. :)

• Brohoof 2

The key to not fearing something lies in understanding it. For me, I never really was afraid of bugs. As a kid, I was kind of creeped out by spiders, because I knew they could bite, and at that age, I wasn't aware of the fact that my part of the world has no deadly or dangerous species of spider. Or any insect for that matter.

Most bites happen due to accidental contact, even with the most dangerous insects. They definitely aren't out to hunt you, because you're many hundreds of times their size. I could definitely understand wanting to kill black widows and the like, however I would probably still find myself bottling and releasing them out in the woods. They're not likely to return once you relocate them. Most spiders, once disturbed from their web (for those that spin webs) Usually don't return when they feel that place is threatening.

Another thing to keep in mind is their body language. Different spiders have different movements, but one trait that usually stands for all of them, if you see their forelegs raised straight up, they're about to attack whatever comes within reach. This is a bad time to poke at them with anything, cause they'll grab whatever it is, and likely bite it. This pose only happens when they feel threatened by something poking at them, or when they're about to catch something to eat.

This is actually kind of neat, cause you can see the fangs ready under the head there. This one is a wolf spider, generally harmless.

"Come at me bruh"

sig-4698475.spider3.jpg

*images courtesy of Google. xD

These spiders on the other hand, you should be very cautious of. They're native to Australia, but I've heard they inhabit parts of the southern USA like around Texas. This is the Brown Recluse, it's the most venomous spider in the world, and can kill if it bites. Note the violin shaped marking on its head. They're generally nocturnal, and hide in dark places during the day. Usually they squeeze into crevices to stay hidden from potential dangers. If you see one of these, be very cautious about how you deal with it, cause they're extremely fast as well.

sig-4698475.brown-recluse-spider-view.jp

I'll post some of my own pics next. :)

Ive seen that type of spider before :)

and no I didn't poke it.

• Brohoof 1

Spiders terrify me, but I do have a strange fascination with them too. Could be my own fear fueling that. Certain spiders scare me more than others, like wolf spiders, which are terrifying. XD Jumping spiders are the ones that I have a major fascination with though, because they can actually see stuff, unlike most spiders and they are believed to be the most intelligent spiders out there. They actually will examine their environment when traversing it and it almost seems like they have a curiosity with everything and it is kinda cute. X3 Jumping spiders are the only ones I could see as cute. The more I watch videos of them, the more they fascinate me.

Tarantulas also fascinate me but never would I get even close to run. I would run away crying. XP

• Brohoof 1

I sure don't like Skulltulas from the Legend of Zelda.

So much nerd rage. lol I always kill those things. xD

@@Kyoshi,

Jumpers are my personal fav out of the arachnids, mostly because they're all generally harmless to us, and as you pointed out, their intelligence and curiosity for their environment. The two main eyes on the front of their head are kind of cone shaped, and they scan like little spotlights over things. They have a very limited field of view, but an extremely clear image of the spot they can see.

This one is kind of creepy because it's semi-transparent, however you can actually see its eyes working. The cones behind those shiny globes move constantly.

vgtfcijy6thvmozqr7yg.gif

And now for some things I found. :D

First up, a large golden orb weaver, or garden spider. This one was in the tall grass near my house.

T8IuM6H.jpg

And for size comparison.
qky4F6y.jpg

Next is the praying mantis I found on the wall of my house. I've seen these everywhere, but they're relatively rare compared to most bugs.

D8RK88z.jpg

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind bugs/spiders.The only thing I REALLY don't like is wasps. Mainly because of our cat. If they get in the house I spray them with hairspray and smash them. Nuisance bugs like flies, clothes moths, or mosquitoes.get smashed as soon as possible also because they suck.

I think bugs look cool in general, especially close up. If I find something really cool I try and get a good picture like this fishing spider some lady brought to my work.

post-24370-0-78117900-1474729803_thumb.jpg

Or this Mantis at my uncle's house.
post-24370-0-53926100-1474729847_thumb.jpg
  • Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

@@Cirrus.,
Any parasitic biting bugs I usually squash because they're actually hazardous disease spreaders. Awesome shots btw! Those are really good ones. That spider must be a momma, with that package she's hanging onto.

@@DaringDo-While,
If that first one isn't shopped.. holy smokes that colour. lol It's the Rainbow Dash of the arachnids.
The last one, I can see why you like, that colour pattern is really nice. Always wanted to handle a tarantula, but I've never had the chance. I'd love to get a real good look at one up close.

@Midnight Scribbler, I actually find jumping spiders to be adorable, too!  And watching them doing their thing is REEEEEEEEALLY cool!  They're like little extreme climbing/jumping masters!

Other spiders are fascinating; living in Georgia, I've actually happened across a few Black Widows here - they are actually quite nifty, really.  I give 'em a LOT of respect, but still nifty.

Tarantulas?  NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE.  (Sorry - I'm only SO brave.)

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis,

You just have to be careful to make note of their body language.

If they're doing this:

1lasiodora_cristata_defence.jpg

It's time to leave it be, cause it will try to bite whatever comes close enough to grab. That said, in this position, it's telling you to back off, and bites are usually dry, they only usually use their venom when they're attacking prey to eat.

If they're just sitting flat with all 8 legs on the ground, they can usually be coaxed onto your hand by booping their back end lightly (not too often though, cause they do have a temper if you pester them of course.) xD

As long as you're careful to watch their movements, the chances of getting bit are very slim. Unless you're really poking at them or squishing them, you're usually safe.

@Midnight Scribbler, you are a meanie for that picture... *shuddergiggle*

But no, I used to have a very extreme arachnophobia.  I conquered it myself with learning and research... but I could never get over tarantulas.  Yes, they're cool and beautiful... but I am chock full of NOPE over those things.

OTHER bugs, however...

I used to keep antlions in a cup, fed them ants.  They were pretty cool to me as a kid.

post-34233-0-58787700-1478746499_thumb.jpg

It looks horrific... but it's only about the size of my pinkie nail.  They dig little holes in sand, and trap prey by flinging sand on whatever falls in the hole until it hits the bottom - then BAM!  They get 'em with those mandibles!

Coolest bugpets on earth, in my humble opinion.

lol wasn't intending to creep you out there. xD Though that's exactly the thing you have to watch for. Front legs up means "I'mma bite"
I will say though, cudos for breaking your fear for the most part. I know how it is to be irrationally afraid of something. Cept for me, it's high places. Heights scare the absolute sense out of me, to the point where even watching videos of people in high/precarious places makes me have vertigo almost. xD

Antlions are neat. I've seen them in the dunes at the beaches around where I live. one of my personal fave insects is the honey bee, for more than one reason. They're amazing colony insects, mostly docile, and of course, they produce the main ingredient for the elixer of the gods (mead) lol But mainly I have great respect for their importance in the pollination of our crops, and many other plants. Some moths are cool too, cause of how gigantic they can get.

• Brohoof 1

dfdf

That spider must be a momma, with that package she's hanging onto.

That's the only reason why the spider cooperated for the picture. That kind of spider usually runs very fast. The camera lens bezel is actually touching the spider's front leg.

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 1