Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How many seasons do you expect the show to have?

pnylvr

I know this question comes up periodically (okay, ridiculously frequently), and I wanted a feel for what people expect. 

Personally, I imagine there will be at least one post-movie season, possibly more, simply because Hasbro would probably see it as a waste to have a movie and not push the interest in the toys as much as possible afterwards (maybe even hoping to get new viewers of the show?). Nine seasons? Ten? Even more? It wouldn't surprise me. 

As long as the toys continue to sell, Hasbro will continue renewing the show for additional seasons. Then again, they might finally take the lagging ratings into consideration, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Who knows. But if season 7 was planned as the final season with the film being the series finale I imagine it would have been informed to us, not just for pleasing the fans but for marketing to get most amount of people to watch. But I guess they could they still inform later closer to season 7... But if we get a teaser/trailer and there is nothing about it being the finale season I do not think it will be.

If it wasn't for Starlight as a main character, then 7 seasons would've been the max but with her having her own episodes, I feel that it could last up to 9-10 seasons since the writers can come up with some new material or something different that they couldn't do with the Mane 6. I just don't think fans want to see the exact same stuff every year so having some other pony in the show makes it have more variety rather than recycling the same stuff from previous seasons. I knew that a change had to happen and this was the case right here.

• Brohoof 2

If it wasn't for Starlight as a main character, then 7 seasons would've been the max but with her having her own episodes, I feel that it could last up to 9-10 seasons since the writers can come up with some new material or something different that they couldn't do with the Mane 6. I just don't think fans want to see the exact same stuff every year so having some other pony in the show makes it have more variety rather than recycling the same stuff from previous seasons. I knew that a change had to happen and this was the case right here.

Some of us can't handle change.

I kind of wanted season 6 to be the final one, but seeing how season 7 is happening before the movie is released than I assume that it could be the final one and that the film will be the grand finale.

As many as it needs. As long as the fandom is there, they have stories to tell and the ratings are good I imagine it will continue.

Hasbro knows it has hit upon magic with it, and despite people hoping the show ends and we get a spin off or a G5 that does not mean they will be so eager to do it. After all, they could do something new, and have it be a complete and utter disaster, since for them to make a true successor they would have to do something quite a bit different to avoid it being labeled G4.1 or something and getting the same complaints over and over. And if they do change it up, premise, art style and what have you, there is no guarantee the fans will accept it and support it the way they do the current series. And if the show bombs and creates a huge backlash, then they cannot so easily say "Our bad' and bring back G4 or something.

As long as the show sticks to what it does well, and keeps expanding the world, the plots and the characters.. I would be fine if they continued on indefinitely. I never want anything I truly enjoy to end... and if the show did become something that no longer interested me for whatever reason, then I would just quit watching it and not demand it end just because I no longer am into it.

Maybe if things start to get desperate and the writers are running out of ideas, will they turn to the fandom? Maybe hold a contest to see who can write the best episodes on their own, and the winners get to be hired? I mean that's strongly doubtful that it would ever happen, but this plan would work out well!

I mean perhaps the problem is, DHX is hiring already experienced writers that although don't know anything about the show. These people have to study the show, study the scripts, and some have never seen the show before. The fandom knows everything about the show! The fandom could save the show! But like I said... that idea ain't happening.

With its current format, I expect only one more season that serves the purpose of wrapping the mane six up. If the show's format changes, such as becoming a Guardians of Harmony show with emphasis on adventure episodes, then I could see it getting more seasons, though I truly hope that doesn't happen. 

Season 6 ultimately confirmed to me that the mane six simply don't have anywhere else to go. That's why there were so many episodes that regressed them or made them re-learn lessons that they either already knew, or should have known. The writers don't know how to keep moving them forward, so they moved them backwards instead. This sort of thing is only going continue, especially as more new writers keep entering the fray each season and completely disregard the past development the mane six have received. 

Where can the writers take Rainbow Dash now that she's finally fulfilled her lifelong dream (I would say that she needs a much more satisfying Wonderbolt episode than Newbie Dash, though)? Where can they take Rarity now that she has opened two successful businesses in two of the most high-profile Equestrian cities? There really isn't much else for Twilight to accomplish other than seizing Celestia's throne (which could happen, but I kinda doubt it), and Applejack, Fluttershy, and Pinkie have never had goals to work towards in the first place. The writers had six seasons to develop goals for them, but they never did, so now all three of them are simply in stagnation. 

If the show were to keep its current format, I would think it would need an entirely new blank slate of new characters (or even old ones) to work with. But that's a slippery slope in itself. This change may not go over well with the fandom (since change rarely does), and the show could potentially lose its popularity. 

I honestly can't help but feel that the show is nearing its end in one way or another. 

I think that there will be at least 8 seasons. The reason being the movie: I don't quite understand the argument that I have seen being made several times that the movie would mark the end of this generation. That wouldn't make any sense, since the movie will probably get more people into the show, and it would be a huge waste not to capitalize on that.

• Brohoof 1

I think that there will be at least 8 seasons. The reason being the movie: I don't quite understand the argument that I have seen being made several times that the movie would mark the end of this generation. That wouldn't make any sense, since the movie will probably get more people into the show, and it would be a huge waste not to capitalize on that.

I completely agree with this. Obviously Hasbro can do whatever it likes, but i imagine they will want to capitalize upon the movie and the possible influx of new interested people.

7 would be a good spot I feel, with maybe an 8th half season afterwards. Could wrap it up either Mad Men style or Game of Thrones style that way(as in the number of seasons). ;)

Though, the movie makes things a little harder to predict, I imagine even if the movie is meant to be an ending(which it probably isn't), if it is successful enough there will probably be another one of those at least, perhaps even after the show wraps up to maybe have an epilouge of sorts. :huh:

Honestly? I'm surprised Hasbro kept it up after five.  :wacko:  (Good surprised!) I don't have a number in mind, so long as the quality stays decent. I'd like at least another one or two, however. I would like it to have a definite ending, though (i.e. all the characters are where they need to be, and there are no loose ends).

Edited by ashi

As long as the toys continue to sell, Hasbro will continue renewing the show for additional seasons. Then again, they might finally take the lagging ratings into consideration, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

I would say 10 seasons and after that they're gonna change it up for another demographic. I am fine actually with how far the show has gone. Many shows don't see past 5 seasons. Regular Show has one finale season before it gets canceled, but Regular Show started in 2007.

I would say 10 seasons and after that they're gonna change it up for another demographic. I am fine actually with how far the show has gone. Many shows don't see past 5 seasons. Regular Show has one finale season before it gets canceled, but Regular Show started in 2007.

It takes a special kind of show to last longer than five seasons, and not the kind that can rely on pop culture, celebrities, and a successful video game franchise to keep things going.