Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

animation Why does it feel like there are more anti-anime going around?

cider float

And the magic of anything on the screen whether it's a movie or anime, making people feel there is more going on with just a few slides of animation is actually an animator skill I think a lot of people are forgetting that.

Or just plain laziness on the animators' part.  :P

If you look at older movies in comparison to all this CGI stuff they can make people feel using sounds and music and they did a pretty good job of that, this skill has been lost nowadays.

Personally, I think that a lot of movies nowadays do a better job at accomplishing the "movie magic" than older movies. Older movies felt a lot more rigid, slow, and less focused on fluid animations. (Just look at shows and movies like MLP:FiM, Ice Age, Big Hero 6, How to Train a Dragon, Zootopia, etc. to see current examples of animations that good "movie magic"). But I can't blame them, as the technology wasn't as good back then. :derp:  But the fact that most animes still stick to this outdated (jittery and not fluid) animation style baffles me. Just look at the background characters in any given scene in animes; they barely move their lips, let alone their bodies. Seems pretty lazy to me. It appears more akin to watching a slideshow rather than a high-production animation. Nonverbal speech is a huge part of communication; nonverbal speech makes up at least 90% of speech, according to experts in the field of communication. 

Edited by ElementalFluttershai

(edited)

Or just plain laziness on the animators' part.  :P

Personally, I think that a lot of movies nowadays do a better job at accomplishing the "movie magic" than older movies. Older movies felt a lot more rigid, slow, and less focused on fluid animations. (Just look at shows and movies like MLP:FiM, Ice Age, Big Hero 6, How to Train a Dragon, Zootopia, etc. to see current examples of animations that good "movie magic"). But I can't blame them, as the technology wasn't as good back then. :derp:  But the fact that most animes still stick to this outdated (jittery and not fluid) animation style baffles me. Just look at the background characters in any given scene in animes; they barely move their lips, let alone their bodies. Seems pretty lazy to me. It appears more akin to watching a slideshow rather than a high-production animation. Nonverbal speech is a huge part of communication; nonverbal speech makes up at least 90% of speech, according to experts in the field of communication. 

High production animation, that's just a term you are specifying when animation like art is not set to what is better than another... there really doesn't need to be details fixed into entertainment. If people can be happy just playing pong rather than CoD then that's all that matters. The importance of good animation is not in how good your technology is it's just how well you can show the story, it's not just about animation also I've noticed western cartoons are not as good in music and sound placement as well. Western cartoons also aren't that great in setting the mood overall.

If people can make an cartoon that people can enjoy watching with a limited crew and with low quality technology that's all that matters. Yes non-verbal speech is important in real life when you interact with people but it doesn't necessarily carry over into animation.

Edited by cider float

High production animation, that's just a term you are specifying when animation like art is not set to what is better than another... there really doesn't need to be details fixed into entertainment. If people can be happy just playing pong rather than CoD then that's all that matters. The importance of good animation is not in how good your technology is it's just how well you can show the story, it's not just about animation also I've noticed western cartoons are not as good in music and sound placement as well. Western cartoons also aren't that great in setting the mood overall.

If people can make an cartoon that people can enjoy watching with a limited crew and with low quality technology that's all that matters. Yes non-verbal speech is important in real life when you interact with people but it doesn't necessarily carry over into animation.

Well, like I mentioned earlier, some things appeal to others and not to myself, so as long as it appeals to its intended audience, then it is doing its job. Personally, I think anime is rather overrated, but that is just my opinion. :P  But as far as the lazy animation, the cliche, "cringey" stories and plotlines; awkward gestures, and strange voice acting goes, I still firmly believe that is true for (most) animes. 

But on a more personal note, the "anime" art style simply doesn't appeal to me, so that alone means that I won't watch anime on my own accord. But if I'm watching it with others, then that is fine; it is entertainment nonetheless. :P (i.e. if I'm bored, I'll watch it. :crackle: )

Edited by ElementalFluttershai

They're clearly young and immature people, nothing worth regarding really. They'll wise up.

They probably hate it, or pretend to because of the negative stereotypes of anime fans. I bet that a lot of them are unconsciously pretending.

I don't think that you have anything to worry about, unless you're the type of fan that people like to hate.

Edited by Heavenly Sun

Well, like I mentioned earlier, some things appeal to others and not to myself, so as long as it appeals to its intended audience, then it is doing its job. Personally, I think anime is rather overrated, but that is just my opinion. :P  But as far as the lazy animation, the cliche, "cringey" stories and plotlines; awkward gestures, and strange voice acting goes, I still firmly believe that is true for (most) animes. 

But on a more personal note, the "anime" art style simply doesn't appeal to me, so that alone means that I won't watch anime on my own accord. But if I'm watching it with others, then that is fine; it is entertainment nonetheless. :P (i.e. if I'm bored, I'll watch it. :crackle: )

I find western cartoons with more cliche stories and cliche characters. If you're looking at certain anime yeah they do seem to echo similar things, I still find that anime creators put more thought into the stories and academic references in anime though. Lot of anime does seem to have similar art styles but not always, there is subtle differences. As for voice acting not much of a problem for me, I mean weird that you would be concerned with voice acting when it's the animation what seems to make or break what you watch, I honestly don't see what is a good or bad voice actor unless the bad voice actor is so bad you start hearing lots of bloopers just being left there.

• Brohoof 1

People are bored of hating on Bronies so now they are going after Anime watchers.  People need something to hate on it seems so maybe they are going after Anime now.

• Brohoof 1

People are bored of hating on Bronies so now they are going after Anime watchers.  People need something to hate on it seems so maybe they are going after Anime now.

I suppose so. What have they done to deserve this. 

• Brohoof 1

Well you are just going to find people who hate something just so they can hate something, happens to every fandom, some more then others but the hate it there. I myself had a falling out with anime, I use to watch a lot of it but was never what someone might call crazy about it. I never had any merch or anything and still have very little of any fandom. However for me there was nothing wrong with anime nor is there now, my taste just changed. I still like anime just selectively, I don't just watch anime for anime sake. I need a particular interest in the plot, characters or other things that lead anyone into liking anything. Of course I am still a fan of my childhood anime such as Inuyasha and Rurouni Kenshin and still consider myself to be a anime fan.

I haven't really noticed the dislike of anime much, maybe it's because of my selective nature. I don't really spend much time on the Internet searching for anime or doing anything in the community but seldomly. Honestly I don't care what they think, if I enjoy something I am going to continue to even if they wanna waste time complaining about my enjoyment on the Internet.

Anime seems rather overrated, to be honest. Personally I am somewhat "anti-anime;" not in a "hater" sense, but rather I don't see why its so special and thus will criticize it for its lack of quality thereof. I tried watching a few, such as Naruto, Sword Art Online, and Pokemon, but I find them lacking in the animation, voice acting, plotline execution, and comedy

You picked some very bad anime, all of those have poor character development, very poor story, with very poor animation. Not to mention a lot of the rougher members of the anime fan base congregate around some of those.

Try "Durarara" yes strange name but hear me out! This one is pretty much the opposite of everything you said you didn't like. Animation is really nice, characters are complex, interesting and develop throughout the story in a realistic way, storyline is well plotted with lots of truly surprising twists. Very little, if any, cringy comedy scenes and the series is only around 26 episodes. It's a quality anime. I am very selective about my anime so trust me I am not making this recommendation lightly.

post-38650-0-03701500-1476571643.jpeg

Edited by PonyOfWar

• Animation feels lazy
  • Dubbed voice acting feels awkward, cheesy, and rather fake. And while yes, subbed is supposed to be better, I don't see why I'd go through all the extra effort to read subtitles; that is just work! xD
  • Plotlines feel cheesy, awkward, and less thought out.
  • Lastly, the comedy feels extremely cheesy and awkward.
  • tons of really annoying cliches
  • main characters are mostly super perfect
  • always some really, really bad dialogue

These comments trigger me. It's just the same as saying that all American movies are bad because many follow certain stereotypes.

Animation quality varies a lot depending on which show you watch. Of course the animation is going to be trash when you watch shows like Naruto. Look at One Punch Man for example. That show has amazing animation quality. Look at any film from Studio Ghibli.

About dubs.. Again, this varies a lot depending on the show you watch. Look at Cowboy Bebop, look at Hetalia, those shows have excellent dubbing. Either way you can't blame the show for this issue, blame the voice actors who did the dubbing. It's like saying you don't like a certain movie because the remake was bad. Reading subtitles doesn't take any effort when you're used to it and it's not something you should blame the anime for, it's your problem.

Plotlines and Dialogue. Once again... Like every other show, movie, game or whatever, they're all different. I'm a little bit confused though.. Flutter, you said that you watched Naruto... but then you say anime isn't very well thought out..? Naruto's storyline is very well thought out. Events that occur after hundreds of episodes ties together with things that happened at the beginning. The story of Madoka Magica is amazing and involves complicated concepts that never would be seen in American cartoons. The anime Monster is amazingly put together and doesn't rely on clichés, nor is the main character perfect, nor does it have unnatural or bad dialogue. Just like in MANY OTHER ANIME SHOWS.

the "anime" art style simply doesn't appeal to me

There's no such thing as the anime art style. Shows have different art styles. Does this look the same as everything else to you?

Your arguments just don't work. You simply haven't seen enough anime to comment on the matter. Even if you had seen a huge amount, it's unfair to give them all the same rating. You can't say anime is overrated, just like you can't say movies are overrated.

Avatar is a cartoon and not an anime

Avatar is an anime. Just like Dragon Ball is a cartoon. Anime and Cartoon is technically the same thing, western people just use the word anime to describe Japanese animation. A Japanese person would use the word anime for all animated content no matter of its origin. Avatar is anime, Powerpuff Girls is anime, Shrek is an anime.

• Brohoof 1

Change has usually always been very unpopular in human history, their is usually a side for everything if that side if given enough power to up rise and show their bark. It's obvious Anime would be targetted, everything is target in the hate wagon, there isn't much on this planet of ours that doesn't have at least one person that feels the need to disagree and hate on something. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of haters among us here in this very chat, we all hate something and that hate transfers to someone who loves something we hate, they're then effected by our hate and so go onto hate something that they hate. The cycle in endless, and the discussion of peoples hate for things is pointless, people will always have hate in them for something, we're a complex species. 

Edited by Lunar Echo
  • Brohoof 1

I just think it is "hip" to hate things.

Thank you for this post there is always going to be haters everywhere. Best thing to do is if you enjoy it well thats awesome! Enjoy things cause you love it. Screw what other people think, yeah they are entitled to their own opinions but don't let their "hate" make you feel bad that you enjoy it. That's why I don't like to look at ratings and such you know? Try something out for yourself and base that on how much you loved it yourself.

Avatar is an anime. Just like Dragon Ball is a cartoon. Anime and Cartoon is technically the same thing, western people just use the word anime to describe Japanese animation. A Japanese person would use the word anime for all animated content no matter of its origin. Avatar is anime, Powerpuff Girls is anime, Shrek is an anime.

Please do not go down that road.

Not only did I already address that very definition (I stated in that post that "Avatar is not an anime by Western standards" or something equivalent. Please read everything before responding), but is completely and totally irrelevant. Do you know why? Because the people who want to claim Avatar is an anime are not going to call The Powerpuff Girls or Shrek anime. They are speaking from their own created definition that has absolutely nothing to do with the Japanese definition, and is attempting to expand our Western definition of anime to include Western animation that imitates the style of Japanese animation - which is a very problematic definition, because there is no such thing as an "anime style".

Japanese animation is very diverse, sometimes to the point that it imitates Western animation. When it does that, these same people claiming that Avatar is an anime because of the 'anime style' will still refer to those anime that look like cartoons as 'anime', and not 'cartoons'. The reason being? They're following the standardized definition in the west that anime means Japanese animation... Their definition then is full of contradictions.

To put it simply, anime can not be defined by style, because then are we going to exclude Japanese animation that does not follow the 'style' that some people believe defines 'anime'? So lets keep things simple, shall we?

Edited by Envy

We call each other weeaboos in class ironically despite none of us really being fans of anime in general (I mean, we have seen a handful but none of us are qualified as anime fans). We do it because it's funny.

If I was an anime fan I'd probably laugh if someone calls me a weeaboo. It's such a funny word that I don't really care if they actually have ill will towards me or not. weeaboo seems like an insult that anime fans made themselves imo.  :twi:

Edited by FlootahBabby

Please do not go down that road.

Not only did I already address that very definition (I stated in that post that "Avatar is not an anime by Western standards" or something equivalent. Please read everything before responding), but is completely and totally irrelevant. Do you know why? Because the people who want to claim Avatar is an anime are not going to call The Powerpuff Girls or Shrek anime. They are speaking from their own created definition that has absolutely nothing to do with the Japanese definition, and is attempting to expand our Western definition of anime to include Western animation that imitates the style of Japanese animation - which is a very problematic definition, because there is no such thing as an "anime style".

Japanese animation is very diverse, sometimes to the point that it imitates Western animation. When it does that, these same people claiming that Avatar is an anime because of the 'anime style' will still refer to those anime that look like cartoons as 'anime', and not 'cartoons'. The reason being? They're following the standardized definition in the west that anime means Japanese animation... Their definition then is full of contradictions.

To put it simply, anime can not be defined by style, because then are we going to exclude Japanese animation that does not follow the 'style' that some people believe defines 'anime'? So lets keep things simple, shall we?

I did read your post and what I said still stands. Western standards or not, the real definition is animation, whether it's Japanese or American. I don't like to think that the western way of defining "anime" is correct, even outside Japan. I know Japanese animation is diverse, I even mentioned it in my previous post. If people call shows anime specifically because it looks Japanese I'd say they lack knowledge. Someone needs to explain for them that "anime" does not have a specific kind of appearance.. As I pretty much did in my previous post as well. Show this person something with an unique style – Cat Soup for example – to prove your point and they might learn something. If someone call non-japanese shows anime or call an anime a cartoon because they know its meaning, I don't see the problem. Either way I don't think you should start a flame war over such a thing since they're actually right, just not in the way they think.

They're just sick of seeing it everywhere, I doubt they care at all about the content. This is applicable to all online fandoms. The other thing is it's just exponential growth once the big studios and content creatures figure out marketing. Take Love Live, pretty standard idol franchise, but the power of marketing is why it's so ridiculously popular. 

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

There is a difference between weebs and fans of Anime in general. I'll shill for this guy again because I think he's funny. He made a guide to this. I would say if you don't fit more than half of the traits he describes here, then you're not a weeaboo.

There will always be an anti "x" movement or sentiment towards a particular group, some for legitimate reasons, some not so.

Most often times it is a mix of both, however people have a tendency to oversimplify the big picture.

It is likely that it seems there is more anti-anime sentiment going about due to just the fact that more and more people are becoming aware of it and thus more people are hating it, but more are also watching it.

*End ramble* 

Anime seems rather overrated, to be honest.

Personally I am somewhat "anti-anime;" not in a "hater" sense, but rather I don't see why its so special and thus will criticize it for its lack of quality thereof. I tried watching a few, such as Naruto, Sword Art Online, and Pokemon, but I find them lacking in the animation, voice acting, plotline execution, and comedy.

1. Animation feels lazy and "slide-show" esque, lacking fluid, flashy motions compared to MLP:FiM or most other american TV shows (I'm referring to background and foreground animation–not the fighting animation. The fighting animation in SAO looks pretty epic). In addition, the anime puppet-style animation for the mouth lip-synching and facial expressions just looks totally weird and cringey.
  2. Dubbed voice acting feels awkward, cheesy, and rather fake. And while yes, subbed is supposed to be better, I don't see why I'd go through all the extra effort to read subtitles; that is just work! xD  (Personally, I'd never watch anything with subtitles).
  3. Plotlines feel cheesy, awkward, and less thought out. And the story arc style just doesn't appeal to me. I love multi-parters, but only if they're 4 parts or less. Anything more feels overkill. The only kind of story arc I am okay with is a light type as seen in Season 4 of MLP:FiM.
  4. Lastly, the comedy feels extremely cheesy and awkward. 

I won't call others "weaboo" or other derogatory names like that, but I get why they are getting the hate. They brought it on themselves, by acting all weird, creepy, and obsessed (a problem with any fandom, to be fair). The difference with anime is that many like it for the "sexy anime girls" or "cute anime boys." (I'm generalizing here.) And society sees how they obsess over that. Its made worse with those creepy body pillows (dakimaura?).

I agreed with you, that body blanket is a bit too much and weird....and yeh i can see why some would go watch anime bec of cute boys or girls. because heck, anime these days are getting more cheesy, glamorous, perverted and i dont even want to make a listen how new anime these days are getting stupider and less appealing..

However I would disagreed that the plot of the some anime are not cheesy.  There are plenty of really good and hard core anime with a very good plot that is not corny. ( example, Deadman wonderland, tokyo ghoul, attack on titan, Skullman, bleach, hunterxhunter ects)Right now for me, Berserk, one of the hardcore anime the plot is great bec it ties with the history's' wars.  However i get the part that sometime, the shows focus on one main character and overpraise  them. which is one of my peeve for an anime shows.The animations in the anime is not lazy either. some anime have a really good animation graphic like one punch man or attack on titan. But i do agreed on the English dubbed, it sounded weird and make the anime look bad. The only time i would watch dubbed it full metal alchemist.

but yeh overall some anime these days sucks...

Edited by satrox