Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Any Sonic Fans? How Do You Feel About How The Internet Treats The Series?

OmegaBeamOfficial

Sonic is awesome!

sig-4699827.sonic_x_mlp_by_mafilix-d8x2e

sig-4699827.maxresdefault.jpg

To be honest, I don't know much about the way Sonic is being treated on the interent, other than what I hear from this forum. I'm more of a casual Sonic fan who has played SA2B to death, and I loved the short movie of the first appearance of Metal Sonic. Sonic Heros was okay, and Sonic and the Secret Rings was a little fun. I remember when I first played the demo of the first SA. It was one of the times I was most deeply impressed and awed by a video game. 

Wow, I LOVE the Mane 6 and Sonic character pairing pics you've done there, they're so cool! Trust me, if you don't know, you're better off not knowing, at this point they could make a Sarah Mclachlan advertisement against Sonic abuse.

I used to be a Sonic fan, but ever since I got into Xenoblade Chronicles, I lost every last bit of admiration I had for the hedgehog, so I don't blame people for hating him anymore.

Forgive me for sounding arrogant, but what the heck does Xenoblade have to do with Sonic? 

So getting into a new game or game serious means you have to suddenly hate what you used to like, or lose any admiration or enjoyment it ever gave to you? :confused:

That makes absolutely no sense at all.

There are several games I love more than any Sonic game, but that in no way diminishes how i feel about the Sonic games I used to and still do love.

Agreed, I think he should elaborate a bit more.

While Sonic is my favourite gaming franchise, I can definitely agree that there are better games out there.

I just needed a change, that's all.

Yes, but getting into a different series and then automatically disliking the last one doesn't exactly sound good. That'd be like if I played Metal Gear Solid, then started playing Dead Rising and then decided I didn't like Metal Gear Solid anymore.

I'm an old skool Sonic fan; the first game I played was on the Master System. I don't really care about what anyone else thinks about the franchise; my main issue is with the crapness of games such as Sonic '06

loading and loading and loading and loading and loading and loading and loading and loading and loading and loading and loading and loading and loading and loading and loading and loading...

and the lack of humour of some fans who fail to realise that there's nothing wrong with gentle parody. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm both a huge fan of Sonic and MLP:FiM. They are my two favorite universes ever!  :kindness:

As for the hate against Sonic... I don't know, I saw some sure, but still less than for MLP. 

The Sonic franchise deceived (again) a lot of people with the Boom game on Wii U (cartoon and 3DS versions are good however), and it's not surprising if some people have the tendency to consider Sonic as really bad or even dead after all these years. (especially if they didn't play the series a lot)

Regardless, the job Aaron Webber and others are doing for Sonic is actually really great! They're combining all the old memes and critics about the series to make good parodies on the official Sonic accounts. It shows that, even with pretty bad periods, the Sonic community is able to laugh it off and still hope for and build a better future for Sonic. 

It's sort of a Pinkie Pie attitude I would say.  :)

If you have cooked baked bads, don't worry, laugh it off with your friends and retry again!

There are so much positivity in this community, like in MLP:FiM's : fangames, good people and future games which will continue the series. There will be bad and good games, objectively, but it's like everything. There will be always good stuffs to discover and retain. 

We're fans, so we won't be completely negative about our series if we still like it, no matter what others say.  :bedeyes:

Trust me, the amount of things I've seen... And that's not even the worst...

I'll be honest, I played the demo for Sonic Boom Rise Of Lyric... And then never bought the whole game because of it. However I do sort of think the 3DS game was OK, and the show's pretty great, I can't wait for Season 2.

Now that you mention it, I'm starting to feel like I was a little harsh on Sonic social media. I do still follow it and immediately, Aaron Webber does get a laugh out of me quite often, like with the Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3 scenario.

The pinkie pie comparison is incredible. Regardless, I hope for the best, for both Sonic and MLP.

^ This

A couple of bad games won't ruin the franchise for me. I like Sonic because of the memories I have with him and the fun I had playing those older games. A lot of people just want to focus on the bad parts of it like it is all that matters, when actually it is pretty easy to just laugh them off and move on. Sonic 06 for example, is regarded not just as a horrible Sonic game, but as one of the worst games ever made period. And you know what, that is OK, because there are still some amazing games and I imagine at some point Sega will get him back where they need to, and if not the old games are timeless and will still be there to relive by anyone who is a true fan and wants to revisit them.

I don't have much to say about this one, other than things that have been replied to others, but I will quickly say this is a very valid point, and I don't appreciate when someone gives up hope on an entire franchise over a couple of bad eggs in the carton.

I'm an old skool Sonic fan; the first game I played was on the Master System. I don't really care about what anyone else thinks about the franchise; my main issue is with the crapness of games such as Sonic '06

loading and loading and loading and loading and loading and loading and loading and loading and loading and loading and loading and loading and loading and loading and loading and loading...

and the lack of humour of some fans who fail to realise that there's nothing wrong with gentle parody. 

I'm totally fine with parody, I wasn't trying to say parody is bad, in fact, I encourage it. But what I'm not OK with is outright blunt insulting the Sonic franchise and It's fanbase as a whole. The way I see it, there's a certain level you can go to, and depending on the person's expectations and or views, the level, or line between parody and bashing can be very different.

• Brohoof 2

Wow, I LOVE the Mane 6 and Sonic character pairing pics you've done there, they're so cool! Trust me, if you don't know, you're better off not knowing, at this point they could make a Sarah Mclachlan advertisement against Sonic abuse.

Just to clarify, the pictures are not mine. The first one is from Mafilix.

http://mafilix.deviantart.com/art/Sonic-X-MLP-539268942

Don't know who drew the other one.

I'm sure you didn't mean that. Just want to clarify, for the sake of the lurkers.

Edited by ChB
  • Brohoof 1

P.S You saying you like Shadow The Hedgehog is fine, It's your opinion and I can respect that, I hope I didn't offend you, but I was trying to list games that in general are disliked by the majority of the community.

No, no it's fine. I was just clarifying that I did like that game very much. 

• Brohoof 2

The classics were really good games, no doubt about it, I'll always prefer the adventure games though, guess I'm just more of a fan of 3D games. But without those Genesis games, no-one would know who he is.

I do have a soft spot for Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, and Sonic Heroes as I do see those as excellent games despite not having aged very well.

• Brohoof 2

I'm a brony, but I will always be a Sonic fan first. I can't help it. Sonic was practically the only friend I had when I was little(#wastedchildhood). To answer your question, the way the internet portrays Sonic is no issue to me, because it's the internet. I mean, it's not like bronies or any other fan base gets shit on either.

P.S. I like Sonic 06. I still want that Silver spinoff game.

• Brohoof 3

Just to clarify, the pictures are not mine. The first one is from Mafilix.

http://mafilix.deviantart.com/art/Sonic-X-MLP-539268942

Don't know who drew the other one.

I'm sure you didn't mean that. Just want to clarify, for the sake of the lurkers.

Oh, right, well, just to clarify further, I don't have anything against those adverts, I'm just poking fun.

No, no it's fine. I was just clarifying that I did like that game very much. 

Well, that's swell. Keep fighting the good fight.

As a Sonic fan since I could walk... I don't care. It's just the internet needlessly bashing on a franchise due mostly a few hiccups on Sega's part and the majority of the fandom being... Well... Less than pleasant individuals. 

I've always found that bad fans isn't the majority, but it is still a problem. Perfect example - SammyClassicSonicFan

I do have a soft spot for Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, and Sonic Heroes as I do see those as excellent games despite not having aged very well.

Yeah, Heroes especially.

Personally I think the classics are long since obsolete and I wish the creators would stop trying to renew the series by bringing it back to that old and tired formula. :P

Well, they are also bringing out a new 3D game to appeal to people who aren't that into the classics so I think It's OK. However, I have to disagree with it being obsolete, when Sonic is brought up, the classic games are usually the first things that come to mind.

What I like about the Sonic series is that it has no problem with poking fun at itself

And laughing at MLP while doing so

1.JPG2.JPG

I never knew about those posts existed, these are pretty funny XD

That second one... Sega you beautiful, beautiful people...

Principal Eggman. Oh, great. Next It'll be Principal Elise won't it?

In regards to that first one. You know people are gonna want to see a race. ^_^

I believe an animation exists of that. Speaking of which...

Like this? I found this a few years ago and it's what got me into Dash x Sonic fancanon.

I almost forgot about this, but I love these videos! I forgot the name of the creator though...

That was priceless. I lol'ed.

Triple LOL

This is my favorite Sonic song:

Crush 40 is bae

I'm a brony, but I will always be a Sonic fan first. I can't help it. Sonic was practically the only friend I had when I was little(#wastedchildhood). To answer your question, the way the internet portrays Sonic is no issue to me, because it's the internet. I mean, it's not like bronies or any other fan base gets shit on either.

P.S. I like Sonic 06. I still want that Silver spinoff game.

Well, I didn't like 06, but I have to say a Silver spinoff sounds awesome. I liked the idea of Silver as a character, and thought the whole physic abilities could be so interesting, It's just a shame that they never really expanded on it beyond boxes and bullets, with bad controls. I wanna see SIlver get his own game, one where you can do the kind of things he does in Generations.

Not sure if I'm a sonic fan but I loved playing Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 for the Sega Dreamcast. I don't follow any Sonic stuff online so I have no idea what's currently going on with the series.

I loved those games myself, some of the best in the series I think.

I don't care about the haters. Sonic is cool af! I love me some Sonic Advance 2.

Never played the Advance games myself, maybe I'll look into them.

I have a big personal issue with a Sonic franchise, when I was a kid I was a huge fan of it, but my High-Functioning Autism got better of me and made me do the most cringiest stuff ever, I can't look back at Sanic in the same ways ever again.

I also believe that the franchise as a whole is very flawed, replaying Sonic Adventure 1 which used to be my favorite game as a kid was a terrible experience, the game is full of glitches, terrible animations, you name it. It was kind of fun, but its flaws for such a high franchise were really baffling.

Then I played Sonic Adventures 2 for the first time few years ago and my god was it nothing but dreadfull. It was boring, the level desing was too narrow. I hated the controls, I hated playing as other characters. I hate Knuckles stages with the entirety of my heart.

And those are considered the better days of Sanic and it just went all down from there. When I played Sonic 06, I just left the franchise forever, no other franchise could recover from this travesty that was that game.

What the franchise turned into is purely on Sega, they put out terrible products with laughable story telling and writting while taking itself 100% seriously. It does not help that Chris-Chan tends to be connected to it more of often than not, which does not quite help. Sega just shows us that they have no idea, at all, where to take the franchise, once it seems like they have a good formula (Colors, Generations) they abbandon it as quickly as possible to give us more of abominations (That Wii U game, I forgot its name).

Overall, Sonic as a game franchise, with its mechanics and such, it held an interesting promise, but it is under terrible incompetent developer who made some of the worst decision for a franchise during gaming. It's easy to see why interent sees Sonic as a joke and Sega is HUGELY responsible for that.

I know how you feel man, my Autism caused me problems as a kid as well.

I still like to think the game is still fun, even with the glitches it has. I excuse it a little more because it was during the start of 3D platformers and the Dreamcast system, and while I think the game is a little buggy, It's no 06 or Boom.

Well, I'll respect your opinion on that. Personally, the only thing I really hated about the game were the Knuckles and Rouge stages, plus the insane difficulty of getting all the emblems.

Actually, the better days of Sonic were during the classic era, I'm not gonna say they were the only good ones, I previously said I love the Adventure games, Heroes, Unleashed and Generations, but the classics were when he thrived the most in the public eye. Also, I think 06 NEARLY killed the franchise, but it didn't. It still has quite a lot of fans nowadays, again, Colors, Generations and Lost World were all either mixed or very positively recieved, the series has seriously come back up from the hole it was dug into in the time of 06. Too bad Boom happened, but that didn't affect the franchise nearly as much as 06 did, and I consider it the lesser of two evils.

The stories in Sonic games and media is very hit and miss honestly. Some plots are absolute garbage to me like Shadow the Hedgehog, and I don't really like how lighthearted and super kid friendly they've gone with plots recently, but for me, they need to hit a middle ground between seriousness and comedy, I think the Adventure games did that really well, even if the writing's not that great, trust me, It's certainly no telltale game, but I don't think It's terrible at least, maybe mediocre is the word I'd use. I've touched on SEGA not actually trying to expand on the gameplay they already had, they did it for three games from 2008-2011 but then Lost World changed everything again. I'd also like to point out that for all the flak it deserves, the Wii U game (Boom) wasn't actually developed by SEGA.

You make an interesting thought provoking argument, and I salute you for that.

I am a Sonic fan myself.

As for the way the series is often treated on the Internet, the first thing to note is that it's the Internet being the Internet. Second off, if I may critique the series and the fanbase, a lot of it is self-inflicted.

On the one hand, Sega is making a bad name for itself because of rushed development cycles, their insistence on starting over every time instead of building upon what works, and how out-of-touch the developers and the people running the show are with the fanbase. On the other, the fanbase has developed a reputation for being unpleasable and immature, and you can't deny that there are a lot of cases of this in the Sonic fandom. It is notoriously one of the most severe cases of "broken base" in all of media, with too many people having too many ideas about where the next game should go.

That said, there are some talented people in this fanbase putting Sega to shame at their own game. If you look at fan games like Green Hill Paradise, Act 2 or Sonic World, you'll be able to see some of the best of the fanbase, making the games that many feel that Sega should have already made. Then there are projects like Freedom Planet, which took a lot of lessons learned from Sonic and other classic game series and broke away from a fan game into a separate, original project. It's become successful enough to garner attention from many gaming publications and spawn a sequel currently in development.

With the Sonic fanbase, you get a large mixed bag of people that you would get in any fanbase. It's best to ignore what random jokers on the Internet say and form your own judgment. It doesn't mean we can't look at this fanbase with a critical eye and see what it can do better, though.

• Brohoof 3

I am a Sonic fan myself.

As for the way the series is often treated on the Internet, the first thing to note is that it's the Internet being the Internet. Second off, if I may critique the series and the fanbase, a lot of it is self-inflicted.

On the one hand, Sega is making a bad name for itself because of rushed development cycles, their insistence on starting over every time instead of building upon what works, and how out-of-touch the developers and the people running the show are with the fanbase. On the other, the fanbase has developed a reputation for being unpleasable and immature, and you can't deny that there are a lot of cases of this in the Sonic fandom. It is notoriously one of the most severe cases of "broken base" in all of media, with too many people having too many ideas about where the next game should go.

That said, there are some talented people in this fanbase putting Sega to shame at their own game. If you look at fan games like Green Hill Paradise, Act 2 or Sonic World, you'll be able to see some of the best of the fanbase, making the games that many feel that Sega should have already made. Then there are projects like Freedom Planet, which took a lot of lessons learned from Sonic and other classic game series and broke away from a fan game into a separate, original project. It's become successful enough to garner attention from many gaming publications and spawn a sequel currently in development.

With the Sonic fanbase, you get a large mixed bag of people that you would get in any fanbase. It's best to ignore what random jokers on the Internet say and form your own judgment. It doesn't mean we can't look at this fanbase with a critical eye and see what it can do better, though.

I agree on the first point, that SEGA should stop rushing their games, and hope they've learned their lesson after Sonic 06. Now It's not like good games can't be made in a short time (Majora's Mask was made in a year and that game was amazing!) but it depends on the skill, time and money needed to make the game. They were trying to cram so much stuff into Sonic 06 and yet release it in such a short amount of time which is where the problem lies. Thankfully, I also think SEGA has been starting to listen to people more, what with situations like the Sonic Twitter/Facebook. I know what you're talking about with the more immature fans, people like SammyClassicSonicFan for example, and the problem of people being split into different groups because the games appeal to different people is why I think SEGA should find one formula and stick to it, while changing, adding and removing things here  and there to try and stop dividing everyone, to stop things like what happened with the transition from Generations to Lost World.

Fan games are awesome and can sometimes be even better than the official products, but I've yet to see a fan game based on Sonic hit that high of a note for me. But It's good to see that now SEGA's been beginning to sort of collaborate with people who DO know how to do that, like Christian Whitehead. Sonic Mania is basically looking like an officially licensed fan game, and it might as well be that. I also love Freedom Planet and have a high respect for it, it really shows the amazing kind of things SEGA's games insipre, and sometimes Freedom Planet even outshines Sonic with certain aspects, so yes, I think some fresh gameplay would help SEGA if they did the same, even if Freedom Planet 2 is making some... Questionable changes.

• Brohoof 1

What does "bae" stand for?

Personally, the only thing I really hated about the game were the Knuckles and Rouge stages, plus the insane difficulty of getting all the emblems.

+1. In retrospect, I appreciate its variety, but when I first played, I really disliked Pumpkin Hills and Aquatic Mines. As for emblems, I only got two of the hidden costumes. Double Kudos to all those who got Green Hill Zone 3-D.

You can imagine how frustrated I was with the Knuckles part of Cannon's Core, when I didn't have the Water Necklace :lol:

Edited by ChB
  • Brohoof 1

I forgot to point out that the newest issue of Game Informer has an article called Where Sonic Went Wrong. It talks about how the sonic franchise has fallen, why, and how it's trying to build itself back up. I must admit I wasn't a fan of the game where Shadow had a gun and rode a motorcycle or the game that Sonic turns into a werehog. Even the game that Sonic was wielding a sword seemed like a strange idea.

But I did learn some interesting things from the article. For instance the reason Sonic Adventure 1 had 6 stories and Sonic Adventure 2 told only 2 stories was due to the fact that the team behind the sonic games was cut back from 120 people to 11.

• Brohoof 1

In retrospect, Sega was heavily pressured by the company and fans alike to release Sonic '06 before it could be properly finished. So the blame there is to be shared.

But I thought those were just rumours.

What does "bae" stand for?

+1. In retrospect, I appreciate its variety, but when I first played, I really disliked Pumpkin Hills and Aquatic Mines. As for emblems, I only got two of the hidden costumes. Double Kudos to all those who got Green Hill Zone 3-D.

You can imagine how frustrated I was with the Knuckles part of Cannon's Core, when I didn't have the Water Necklace :lol:

Hidden costumes? Water necklace? What in Equestria are those?

I forgot to point out that the newest issue of Game Informer has an article called Where Sonic Went Wrong. It talks about how the sonic franchise has fallen, why, and how it's trying to build itself back up. I must admit I wasn't a fan of the game where Shadow had a gun and rode a motorcycle or the game that Sonic turns into a werehog. Even the game that Sonic was wielding a sword seemed like a strange idea.

But I did learn some interesting things from the article. For instance the reason Sonic Adventure 1 had 6 stories and Sonic Adventure 2 told only 2 stories was due to the fact that the team behind the sonic games was cut back from 120 people to 11.

From 120 people to 11? Wow, that's quite a decrease! I think It's been building back up quite nicely though, even after Boom happened... I understand the controversy over Sonic characters using handguns, and how motorcycle's are practically pointless for Sonic characters other than racing games, but I don't see how the Werehog and swordplay are bad concept's. If anything I enjoyed the Werehog stages.

• Brohoof 1