Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Should Thorax go by prince or king?

ggg-2

I like King Thorax personally. Yeah, Queens and Kings have been built up as "evil", but I really wish Celestia and Luna had been allowed to be queens like they were supposed to be, and even then the prince/princess moniker might be by pony standards, and Changelings likely have a different titling system. 

• Brohoof 1

I like the sound of King Thorax. Besides, does anyone associate the title "king" with evil? I know I don't. If anything, "prince" sounds more evil to me. Think Machiavelli. 

In FIENDship #2, Tirek's parents were explicitly called "King" and "Queen," and they were some of the most-reasonable people ever.

Tirek has PARENTS?! WHAA?! In all seriousness, I didn't know that...but then again, how else would he and Scorpan be born? :)

Anyways, @@ggg-2, I think you should put a spoiler in the title, since the finale hasn't aired in the US yet.

Tirek has PARENTS?! WHAA?! In all seriousness, I didn't know that...but then again, how else would he and Scorpan be born? :)

His father was a centaur and his mother was a gargoyle--I assume she is one--with Tirek resembling the former and Scorpan the latter.

I say they should shake things up and call him overlord.

Lord or Overlord does sound better than being Prince or King.

Overlord sounds synonymous with "dark lord" I don't know why I have that in my mind. But it's there. Simply "Lord" would make sense to me though, depending on his position in society. Or they could call him "Rainbow Lord" to signify that he's happy inside. And also a lord.

Why should he go by either?  He's not royalty, after all.  And the changelings deserve a leader who's title doesn't imply sovereignty.  Why not something like "guardian", or maybe even something more gracious and benevolent sounding, like "conservator".

To that end, I've always been opposed to the whole "princess" thing.  It doesn't make any sense, and it's annoying.  What is royalty, anyway?  What makes a person royal?  Because they're parents were royal?  And so on and so on all the way back?  Whooptie-f*ckin-do.  Why does that mean that this person's blood is more special than anyone else's?  It doesn't.  That's why the president's children don't automatically get to be president.  And then there's the fact that Twilight is obviously of no royal bloodline.  Cadence probably isn't, either.  The Sisters certainly aren't, because they were appointed as princess by Starswirl as adults.  They weren't referred to as "princesses" before that.  (This is from their Journal.)  We've come to accept that in Equestria, the term doesn't just apply to lineage, but it's an appointed position as well.  Why not get rid of this confusion and just use a better term, like "guardian"?  Well, we all know it's because of the stigma attached to the word princess, and how that resonates with the target audience.

Well, here's the thing: I LOVE princesses.  Probably as much as little girls.  But what is it about princesses that we love?  Is it their "royal" blood?  No.  We love them for their charm, beauty, grace, charisma, and, let's face it, their privileged, fantasy lifestyles.  Who doesn't want to live in a castle and have galas and balls with fancy clothes?  (Well, AJ, that's who.)  But you get my point.  I'd like to add that there's nothing wrong with liking or wanting these things, so long as it doesn't warp one's sense of happiness or self-esteem in the real world.  But the point is that the term "princess" is actually fairly meaningless.  Even in the iconic and ubiquitous world of Disney Princess, the definition is very flexible.  Cinderella and Belle are of no royal blood; they're only "royalty" in the end by marriage.  Why not drop this silly term in FIM, where its definition is useless, unnecessary, and confusing, and replace it something more apt?  Think about it--if the alicorns of Equestria were called "guardians", would they suddenly lack any of the qualities that we love so much in princesses?  No.  They'd still be charming, beautiful, graceful, charismatic, and have privileged, fantasy lifestyles.  In addition to making more logical sense within the show lore, it would also have the affect of teaching children that anyone can be special, not just the highborn.

• Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...

Personally I've called him "Emperor Thorax" but that's just me~ Though, I find king more suitable given 'queen' Chrysalis has been basically overthrown. (and i know i'm late to this topic oops)

King Thorax is 20% more badass than just Prince Thorax, I dont want him to be on par with that useless "prince" Blue Blood. Please show, call him King Thorax.

If you take comics as canon, he's far from useless.