Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Combat Readiness of the Wonderbolts?

Vlazamal

It's been very unclear as to the role of a Wonderbolt. But however, can they be used in combat, and how effective would they be?

Also, if we were to deploy the Wonderbolts to Syria, could they defeat ISIS?

Judging by both the "Spike Want" episode as well as the Season 4 finale, the Wonderbolts are completely incompetent as a military force.  If they can't take down a lone dragon rampaging through the heart of a small town, let alone a magic-sucking tyrant, how would they be able to take on a rogue state?

I think the Wonderbolts first and foremost purpose is entertainment by providing aerobatic displays.  In order to fulfill this role they clearly have to be good fliers, and as such they are occasionally called upon to help out in ways beyond their primary function, although in such cases, as has already been mentioned, they seem to have a history of being ineffective.

I suppose you could liken them as being something akin to WWE wrestlers, what they do is certainly difficult and strenuous in it's own right, but if you put one of those entertainment wrestlers into the ring with an actual sport wrestler, even though some of the skills may carry across, I expect they'd get dismantled in short order.

The Royal Guard appears to be the only actual military in Equestria, and of course their track record is less than exemplary as well, again they are probably more focused on ceremonial duties than actual military skills.