Register now to remove this ad.
Red Cedar

[Ponyville] Applebucking To A Different Beat (Private)

43 posts in this topic

Link to OOC thread.

rWUdzLw.png

@@Randimaxis

After another satisfying *crack* of her hooves against the trunk of a tree, Applejack paused long enough to take a deep breath. She'd been out of the orchard for a few days, but for good reason. After the Zap Apple harvest, Granny Smith had needed all the help she could get turning them into jam. It was one of the things Sweet Apple Acres was famous for, after all - that, and cider. And now that the jam was made, Filthy Rich had his store's allotment for the year, and cider season was coming up soon, she had been working double time to get as many apples shaken off the trees as she could, without wearing herself out again, anyway.

Still, a little help would have been nice...

1 person brohoofs this

@Red Cedar

Dig it, foaly.

The big shindig in Ponyville was done, finished, fait accompli - and by the looks on the faces of those who had swung low, sweet chariot to grab an earful of Groovi's word soup, it had been done well.  There hadn't been a lot of ponies, but even a small crowd was STILL an audience, and performing made Groovi's heart soar.

However, she'd REALLY had her mental radar settled on the one place where she'd always wanted to visit, but had always been spinning the scene too hard to waltz on by: Sweet Apple Acres, home of the best cider in Equestria, as well as one of Groovi's favorite things...

Dig it; as a foal, there'd only been one thing in all of creation that had tickled her giggling fancies in such a way as to cease the released screech from her little-bitty voice, and that had been the sweet treat of Zap Apple Jam.  It'd been, like, a delicacy due to its seasonal rarity, but that taste had never left her - even after she'd come of age.

Now, she'd finally tripped the path fantastique to the country headlands, and there was the thick, wavy hair of mother earth, symbolized by row after row of beautiful apple trees, with a cute little apple cart as a timely barrette.  

Whoa... craaaaaaaaazy, foaly.  Who'd just leave an apple cart all the way out here by its lonesome self?  Groovi walked over to it and gave it the ocular once-over, amusing herself by addressing the cart directly.

"Faaaaaaar ouuuuuuut, foaly... though the chance to speak to spokes might be spooky to others, but dig it, putting THIS cart before THIS horse might actually turn out to be fun.  Though materialistic possession isn't exactly a hobby of mine, I glean that others are keen on that scene, if you know what I mean, so I gotta wonder... where's your owner, foaly?"

Groovi had gotten so preoccupied with the cart that she hadn't even looked around to see if an owner was nearby - she'd just started talking to the cart, as if it were simply another pony.

rWUdzLw.png

With another basket of apples balanced carefully on her back, Applejack trotted out of the orchard towards where she'd left her apple cart, only to perk up at the sight. There by her cart was another earth pony, with a sky blue coat, speaking animatedly to... was there somepony else?

Nope. The other pony was definitely trying to have a discussion with Applejack's cart.

Sure, Applejack had seen others have words with inanimate objects before, but this pony was actually animated about what she was saying to the cart, it appeared. Almost wondering if she should be interrupting, she came up slowly into the other pony's view.

"Howdy," she said amiably. "Was there something I could do for y'all?"

1 person brohoofs this

@Red Cedar

Groovi's eyes widened, and she stepped a bit closer to the cart.

"Whoa... talking carts?  Craaaaaa-ZY."

That's about the point where she noticed she was no longer alone - and what a visitor that Fate had brought her!  Only one cutie mark could harken the stark reality of this identity, indubitably, and it thrilled Groovi to her core that she wasn't just another pony placing an order... she had the chance to actually SPEAK to one of the workiest workers who ever worked at work!

"Wow... like, here I am in the presence of an Equestrian legend, no less!  The tide of Fate has washed me ashore on this isle of aisles of future smiles, and I think it'd be tops to stay for a while... if, of course, the big Apple doesn't find my core rotten."

She gave a slightly embarrassed smile, but turned and took a step or two in Applejack's direction.

"Dig it, foaly - in the grand scheme, there's so many amazing things this existence brings when it sings about how it swings like a playground set.  But out here on the eternal playground, reference tools are, like, monumentally appreciated, and that's far out - so I announce my frame of reference as Smooth Groove, but you can hang me in your cosmic gallery as 'Groovi', can you dig it?"

She took a slight bow, then grinned at her fellow earth pony.

"By the basket on your back-set, I'd be willing to believe you're probably kicking up a storm, right?  How many little red and green spheroids have you relocated from the acres where the Apple's sweetest?  Like, in storage, dig?"

rWUdzLw.png

@@Randimaxis

Applejack could almost feel her cheeks getting redder at being referred to as an "Equestrian legend". No matter what had happened to her and her friends, she had never felt like it was anything any pony with a little gumption couldn't have done in her place.

After that, though, things became a little less clear.

She asked if Applejack could... dig something? Well, she had no new trees to plant today, so there wasn't going to be any of that. Applejack thought that she caught that the other pony's name was "Groovi". or something like that. And what they hay was a "sphereoid"?

Not even when she had been living in Manehatten had she heard another pony talk so much without her being able to pick up any of it.

Applejack placed the basket in the cart, then looked apologetically to the other pony. As honesty was the best policy in Applejack's mind, she decided to admit it. "Uh, look, I'm a might sorry, but I didn't hardly get a word of what y'all just said. Could you run that by me again?" she asked.

Edited by Red Cedar
1 person brohoofs this

@Red Cedar

Groovi had come across this problem before - another pony who couldn't flow with her mental river.  Mind you, it wasn't so much as a disappointment as it was a little surprising; after all, with as many Countryisms as she had, the blue mare would've thought she'd be able to keep up.

"Oh.  Yeah.  Sorry - sometimes the brainpan overflows, and I forget that not every pony can change that oil."

She cleared her throat and tried again.

"So, like... I dig that you're out here bucking apples... but there's a UNIVERSE of 'em out there, and you're just one lone pone; I guess the tune I'm spinning is one where I ask you where all your help is at?  It can't be just you out here with the kicks and the gathering... could it?"

Groovi looked around at all the trees, an endless sea of them, then back at AJ.  

"You've GOT help... right?"

rWUdzLw.png

Applejack smiled as Groovi was now starting to speak something more like her language. She nodded. "Of course, I have help!" she said, enthusiastically. "Couldn't much do the whole thing myself. Believe me, I tried once, and I got so tuckered out it felt like I was spinnin' faster than a wagon wheel down a canyon wall."

Pointing with her hoof, she added, "I've got my kin out here with me. Hey, Big Macintosh! Apple Bloom!" she called, then looked out past her hoof. Blinking, she stepped this way and that, trying to see around one tree or another as far as she could, then blushed again.

"Uhm, they must be on the back forty." she explained.

1 person brohoofs this

@Red Cedar

"Whoa... only, like, THREE?  A gathering of three against a sea of apple trees?"

With what she saw before her, Groovi got the impression that this job MIGHT be done by the time Luna grew a beard... but it did give her a bit of an idea.  She shook the bewildered look from her muzzle, then turned her focus back to Applejack.

"Like, there's so many of them, and only the one - check it - THREE of you at work?  Wow, foaly... that's a blue note on the saxophone of life.  But dig THIS, right - maybe there's another set of hooves available for a bit of shuck-and-jive among the busy bees of this hive?  Though you're a peach, you look plum tuckered, you dig?  So how do you spell relief?"

She grinned and crossed her front hooves.  "Those letters are G-R-O-O-V-I, foaly... and best news is?  This kitten doesn't want a ball of bits for the hits, right?  She'd rather dip her whiskers into the cream of creation that is..."

She leaned in close for dramatic effect, within breathing distance of AJ; her eyes half-lidded in distant memory of the delicious taste.

"... ZAP... APPLE... JAAAAAAAM, can you dig it?"

She backed up, licked her lips, and wiggled her eyebrows.

"How's THAT story, morning glory?  Can you get behind it?  Do you DIG that, Honest AJ?"

rWUdzLw.png

Applejack found herself leaning back involuntarily as Groovi leaned forward to talk to her. Apparently this pony's concept of personal space was missing along with her grammar. "Well, Yeah, it's been the three of us for years. Not all the apples get ripe at the same time, you know, or we really would be more tired than a sow at a hog calling contest." she said.

Still, if she got what Groovi was saying - and that was a big if - perhaps a deal could be reached.

"So, y'all are wantin' to work the orchard in exchange for some Zap Apple Jam, huh?" she repeated, just to make sure she got the proposal straight. "Y'all ever worked on a farm before?"

1 person brohoofs this

@Red Cedar

The blue mare smiled widely.

"This honeybee's never had even a taste of the farm life, dig?  But hey - the only way to know how to play, they say, is to do a thing.  And never has the song of sincerity cut closer to the serious bone - that's opposite the humerus - than this mare's willingness to BE on the scene, dig it?"

Groovi then closed her eyes, shook her head, and said, "Uh... that's a resounding yes, Apple-licious, on the work in trade... but a no on the 'previous farmwork' gig, y'dig?  But here, fetch this jig..."

She started to pace a bit, swinging her tail as she counted off her points.

"This filly's in GOOD shape, thanks to exercise and an almost unicycle-balanced diet... and she's prone to travel, so these hooves are made for walkin'... plus, the soup kitchens she's worked in taught her about the heat, which this mare certainly CAN take... and the volunteer work with foals just proves that her zest for stress is less when put to the test."

She stopped pacing, and turned back to face AJ.  "But Zap Apple Jam... mare, that SENDS me, dig it?  So yeah - I won't shirk the work, 'cause honest earning's my quirk, foaly.  So, shall we agree, and I'll shake the hoof that rocks the apple tree?"

rWUdzLw.png

Applejack appeared to contemplate Groovi's proposal for a moment. She could certainly appreciate a pony who wanted to put in an honest day's work, but there was that little matter of experience - or the complete lack thereof. Still, Groovi was an Earth Pony, and that usually meant at least some kinship with the land, even if only on an instinctive level. Perhaps Groovi had enough to work with.

Finally, Applejack smiled. "All right, y'all got yourself a deal," she said, raising her right hoof in agreement. "But fair warning, if y'all have never done anything like this before, then tomorrow you're gonna be more sore than the slowest clown at the rodeo. Bein' in good shape is one thing, but it's doin' it over and over that keeps you able."

1 person brohoofs this

@Red Cedar

A smile poured across her muzzle, lighting it up like fireworks.

"Craaaa-ZY - the pain train dancin' a little jive across the muscles is good for the soul, foal!"

She wasn't sure if it was meant to be a deal-sealer, but she reached out and thumped hooves with Applejack.  She might not know much about the farm, but she could dig a firm brohoof in confirmance.

Groovi looked up into the trees.  Being closest to where the cart was, they were already seen to - but there were plenty more where they came from.

"I think these orbical apploids are already cart-crowding; can I impress upon the tour guide to this tour de force that it'd be stellar to get more apples in your cellar?  Dig it - show me the way, AJ, whaddya say?"

rWUdzLw.png

Applejack smiled. Groovi was nice, but she had a strong suspicion she was going to have a headache by the end of the day from trying to interpret her. But the bit about the apple cellar she caught, and she had to agree, the cart was full enough as it was to warrant a trip.

"Well, all right then. Why don't you hitch yourself on up to the cart and follow me." she said.

It wasn't a far trip from the edge of the orchard to the cellar, just around the barn. Applejack opened the doors, revealing a staircase leading underground, and then retrieved a basket of apples from the cart, balancing it on her back. "Grab a basket and follow me." Applejack said to Groovi. "Just be careful. My friend stumbled down the stairs once and got more banged up than a pinata at a quintuplet cutecenara."

1 person brohoofs this

@Red Cedar

Groovi didn't find the cart too heavy; with her physical regimen, it was just like a good, solid lift - but with purpose aside from muscular development.  She took her time and enjoyed the scenery, the air, and the general groove of the whole place.  She could DEFINITELY dig this scene.

At the cellar door, the mare gave a bare stare under there and grinned.

"Submersibility is copacetic, Miss Jack - let us bring these apples that've grown on high a bit more down to earth, can you dig it?"

She took a basket off the cart and after carefully balancing it on her back, she descended the stairs.  A few steps in, and she took a slow draw of basement air through her nostrils.

"Aww mare, that SENDS me - most cellars are musty, crusty and just a bit rusty with their air; this one has flair, 'cause the apples' scent is to share."

Indeed, the smell of apples was FAR better than the usual dry and mouldy scent of air that had been trapped in a typical basement.  Groovi reached the ground and followed AJ to where she wanted her prizes stashed.

"Dig it - I can see that four is the score for your family here... why not more?  The number of hooves rocking the apple tree cradle could be at a higher register; I'm sure that there's pones out there who'd rush to assist in the split of a lick, foaly... is there some cosmic mandate that states to the Fates that all those hooves have to, y'know, relate?"

She blinked, then gave a smiling sigh.

"What I mean is, like, this is THE Sweet Apple Acres, dig it?  Keeping it in the family is choice, but I'd think Ponyville would help out in a jiffy - so why DON'T they?"

rWUdzLw.png

Applejack smiled as she put down her basket of apples on one of the cellar's many rows of shelves. Groovi certainly seemed to like this part of the job. "Well, this cellar's new, but we always give it a good cleaning between harvests. No good keeping apples for weeks in a cellar that smells like spiders." she explained. It was a point of pride for her that they did everything they could to keep their apples in top form before they were eaten.

Groovi's next comments were a little confusing though. Was she asking about more family members? And rocking the cradle? Was Groovi asking why Applejack didn't have foals? That was a bit presumptuous, to say the least.

Er... nope. She was asking why more folks in Ponyville didn't help on the farm because it was such an institution in this town. "Oh, they have helped!" she assured Groovi. "My friends have helped me out of a bind here on the farm more'n once, and I'm mighty grateful they did. But we can handle it when things are running smoothly, and everypony else has their own jobs to do as well." She smiled as she walked past Groovi, up the stairs for another basket.

1 person brohoofs this

@Red Cedar

She put on a wry smile as Groovi set the basket down carefully in what looked to be the right place, then headed back for the next one.

"I dig your clean sweep vibe, foaly - but I'll bet the spiders keep the other bugs out, if you can feel that look through that kooky looking glass.  But maybe THEY will glean the keen stream when they find the smell of ponies a bit less obscene, know what I mean?"

She let loose a giggle; she hoped AJ was the type that didn't mind a little good-natured ribbing.

"But check this scene - don't you ever find the time to set aside for releasing the yolk and, like, sailing the cosmic sea as a leaf in a brook?  Or," she checked herself, "don't you ever take a day off, even if only one day a week?  A constant groove is copacetic, foaly... but allowing the lean mean cider machine the S.A.A. is a moment to catch that elusive breath helps to fan the fires higher.  This way, when you get in that rare pinch, you'll be READY to grow that inch, can you dig it?"

She made her way up and took hold of the next basket, making sure she had it balanced properly.

"But still... just the four of you take care of ALL of this on a daily basis?  I am officially handing you the entire box of funky crayons, mare - because you can color me impressed.  The Apple Universe keeps on turnin', and the stars in its' skies are brightly burning!"

rWUdzLw.png

Applejack, for the life of her, couldn't figure out what Groovi meant about the smell of ponies. Anyway, she didn't have time to figure out if the bugs in her cellar didn't like the fact that she wouldn't have a shower until that evening when the work was done. There were more baskets to stack.

Her other question was quite a bit more clear, though, although she had to smirk at Groovi's mention of throwing off the yoke. Applejack couldn't help but think that Groovi would be amused if she learned that her brother wore one like she wore her favourite hat. "Well, we try to keep rested when we can. I learned the importance of that the hard way, I can tell you. Tried to tackle the whole harvest myself when my brother got hurt one year. It wasn't pretty. I was loopier than a grasshopper with one rear leg by the time I gave up and asked my friends for help." She took a breath as though remembering the weight that was lifted off her that summer when Twilight and her friends did come and help her, after she'd overcome her stubborn refusals. "I get a day off now and then, but the thing is, when you're working a farm, your work schedule is mostly told to you by the trees and the weather schedule from Cloudsdale. If you don't git 'er done in time, the apples fall anyway, and not into the baskets where you want 'em." Placing her basket on the shelf, she went back up for the last one on the cart. "We get our big break over the winter, when nothin's growing."

1 person brohoofs this

@Red Cedar

Groovi watched Applejack do her job, and paid special attention to HOW the fair mare was doing what she did, there.

"For sure, foaly... even if you're a pegasus and control the clouds, those seasons keep being, like, seasonal.  The world keeps turning, even if the paddlewheels in the riverboats of our existence fall short - I dig it."

She followed AJ back up the stairs, eager to see what else had to be done.

"So Winter's wisp of weather wears wily and well this way, but can you dig the possibility of indoor growing?  It's like, you could have a small batch of plants inside to hide from the herbicide of snow, and position their pots to soak up the solar goodness in style.  It might be kinda funky to try it the first time, but once you ring in the swing of the thing, then it'll be fun-KAAAAY, foaly..."

She thought it'd be an interesting enterprise for a farm pony; growing food during times when food was stored and not grown - winter-fresh food did sound kind of groovy to her blue ears.

rWUdzLw.png

Applejack climbed the stairs of the cellar one last time, closing the doors behind herself and Groovi, then moved to a stack of empty baskets, loading several onto the now emptied cart. She smirked as she listened to Groovi's solutions for greater harvests. "Well, it's not a bad idea," she said, "I know of a few farms that do it that way. But, y'all may have noticed that we mainly grow trees here. That would be one hay of a big greenhouse." she added with a sweep of her hoof. "And trees tend to be on a fairly set yearly schedule as far as blooming and flowering and then growing fruit. I don't think it'd work even if we could find more glass than Prince Blueblood's private mirror factory. The rest of what we grow here is just for ourselves, anyway. Apples are our bread and butter."

Once she got the cart loaded with baskets again, she nodded to it again. "If y'all hitch yourself up again, let's go see how ya do at apple bucking."

1 person brohoofs this

@Red Cedar

Groovi gave a dismissive wave.  "Hey, chances are you're right, and I buy it 'cause you're bright, dig?"

She made her way over to the cart and harness and began getting re-hitched.  She took a moment to look around at the sound ground - for sure, there'd be WAAAAAAY too much room needed for a greenhouse.  Besides, it already seemed like the take-no-flak Applejack already had her hooves full; a greenhouse would potentially DOUBLE that.

She got the harness fastened, and started pulling; it was heavier when it was full, but full OR empty, Groovi had the muscle to move her bustle.  As she started following AJ, she grew a ponderous look.

"I dig this scene, foaly - hard work'll make somepony honest, just 'cause they don't have time for lies, can you dig it?  Besides, you do all your talking with your muscle... and the strength of THAT convo brooks no argument, eh?"

rWUdzLw.png

After rolling Groovi's last statement over in her mind a few times, Applejack couldn't deny it was a compliment. She smirked a little, nodding. "Well, a pony tends to believe more in what you can do when you show 'em rather than just tell 'em, that's for sure." she agreed. "And like you said, ain't got time for not doin' it."

Approaching the next group of trees in line for a good swift kick, Applejack nosed several baskets out of the cart and onto her back and then placed them around the trunk of the tree. Standing to one side, she looked back to Groovi. "Okay, when it comes to applebucking, the trick is to stand not too close and not too far away from the tree, so you can kick it with your legs straight out behind you. If you get it at the wrong angle, y'all can hurt your leg real bad. So, watch this and see how it goes," she said, then took a breath and steeled herself.

Applejack kicked her hindquarters up just enough to bring most of her weight onto her front hooves, then uncoiled like a striking snake, her rear hooves giving a satisfying, solid slam against the tree's trunk, causing it to shudder all the way up its core and out its boughs, and soon the baskets were filled with a rain of dislodged apples.

"And that's how it's done," she said, relaxing herself again on all four hooves. "Why don't y'all give it a try on the next tree?"

1 person brohoofs this

On 2/20/2017 at 0:59 AM, Red Cedar said:

"Why don't y'all give it a try on the next tree?"

Groovi nodded, then turned to gaze at the maze of trees that went on for days... it was quite a beautiful day, and the lush, fruit-laden trees swayed gently in the breeze.  Moving up to the trunk of one, she slowly turned and, gingerly, gave a slight test tap with a rear hoof, gauging the distance carefully.

"So, like - you won't giggle if I miss the middle?  I mean, foaly... you've been at this so long, you've got the strong to know what's wrong... and I don't want to sing a painful song; I'd rather get along, dig?  So if you see that I'm about to float an air-kick, tell me true and I'll cease to do."

She plotted the course her hooves would take, then lined herself up c a r e f u l l y... and, drawing up her hind legs, she let go with a kick.

*thunk*

She barely gave enough force to stir the leaves.

Blushing a bit, Groovi gave an abashed look to the stalwart AJ.

"... like, I guess I need to add F-O-R to my C-E, if I want even the chance to dance this stance.  Like, I'm... well, like, I'm kinda afraid to bruise the dog, 'cause I don't wanna hurt that bark, y'dig?"

Groovi sighed and turned back to face AJ, blushing a bit.

"Can I ask for a replay of your leg-play? I'm sure I can dig it if you just hand me another spade, yeah?"

rWUdzLw.png

@Randimaxis

Applejack hadn't expected much out of Groovi's first attempt, but even so, she'd seen stronger kicks from a gopher digging a burrow. Still, as Groovi had suggested, maybe she just needed another demonstration. "Well, yeah, that looked all right, but if you don't put everything into it, you'd barely tickle a squirrel's toes. So, take another look."

Turning to line herself up with the tree herself, she took another deep breath before again lifting up onto her forehooves and striking with all her tensed muscles into the trunk of the tree, which was soon raining down its bounty again. "Don't be afraid to give 'er all ya got. The tree can actually take a lot without gettin' seriously hurt, and it'll heal itself up by next Spring if it does. Try 'er again," she said, placing new empty baskets around the tree.

1 person brohoofs this

30 minutes ago, Red Cedar said:

"Don't be afraid to give 'er all ya got. The tree can actually take a lot without gettin' seriously hurt, and it'll heal itself up by next Spring if it does. Try 'er again,"

Groovi listened as the wisdom flew from the mare's mouth straight into her brain-pan.  She took on a thoughtful look and then nodded accordingly.

"Okay, foaly... I can dig it.  Sway in the breeze; invincible knees..."

She suddenly closed her eyes and her entire posture smoothed out.  She then began to walk small circles, all the while speaking slowly and lowly, sweetly and indeed-ly... yet as she wove her vocal tapestry, she continuously wove her way around Applejack, the cart, and the tree in question she'd been sent to try.  Reaching the apex of her hauntingly strange soliloquy, she then lined up perfectly straight and let go with a considerably harder kick.

"They move, smooth through the tune of the swoon when they bend

but the honor of steel they feel when they kneel cannot send

them beyond the roots of their fruits, to end with mighty feet

cast to the sky, what an eye, my oh my, and I sigh, complete

knowing that these stalwart hosts shall never lose that beat."

*THONK*

This time, a decent rain of apples came down; though there were still a half-dozen still hanging from the branches, Groovi had definitely upped her game... in only the way that an outta sight nightlight like Groovi might. She opened her eyes, looked back at the results of her crazy jam, and gave AJ a shy smile.

"Hey, well... maybe I can get the hang of this swang-thang after all, right?  That is totally digable, mare - that really sends me."

She started to move about, picking up the apples that hadn't hit the buckets and lightly tossing them in.

rWUdzLw.png

@Randimaxis

Applejack couldn't help but raise an eyebrow at Groovi's pre-kick ritual. Certainly she had her own little quirks when she was getting ready for a rodeo, but spontaneously composing poetry was not among them. Still, it seemed to give her the motivation needed to give the tree a much better strike, and a satisfying number of the apples were dislodged from the branches this time. "Now that's more like it!" she said encouragingly.Helping to pick up the few strays, she then lifted the baskets onto the cart. "Keep doin' it like that and we'll have 'er done in no time."

With that, she started towards the next trees. "Y'all take that side of the row, and I'll take this one." she said. Spreading the baskets around the base of her next tree, she looked up. "So, how'd y'all get into the fancy poetry, anyway? It's sure like nothin' I ever heard before."