Register now to remove this ad.
Red Cedar

[Ponyville] Applebucking to a Different Beat

29 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Red Cedar said:

"So, how'd y'all get into the fancy poetry, anyway? It's sure like nothin' I ever heard before."

To that, Groovi gave the farm-mare a cool smile.

"Like, dig this - my folks were, like, super-encouraging, y'know?  Told me to be the best me that I could be, y'see, so I did my best to try to figure out what WAS the cotton filling of my own personal soul-pillow, right?  There was a LOT to try... but eventually, I found that I had a knack to back the track of that sweet song of sonnet that abides while the years slide aside for a work that brings me pride... mare-oh-mare, what a scene!  It's like there's a meal-kitchen in my brain-pan, dig, and they're makin' up a special order of word soup..."

She finished picking up the errant apples, and moved to the next tree, another satisfying strike on the trunk as she spoke.

"... and I just LOVE serving it to other pones, foaly - to watch as they listen to the rhythm of the words, savoring the ideas that spring from within as my mouth moves down the road of sharing, headed for that funky last stop, known as 'Satisfactionville' - population YOU, foaly!"

She began to gather the next batch of errant apples, then she stopped and looked at AJ directly, a slight blush on her muzzle.

"I mean, uh... I do it because it, like, makes me happy - and because other pones absolutely DIG it, y'know?  And hey, when what you love to do and what they love to hear both coincide... hey, that's just a cosmic well of happiness, can you dig it?"

rWUdzLw.png

@Randimaxis

Applejack tried not to smile in the wake of Groovi's colourful description of how she came to speak like she did. "Word soup" was definitely an apt way of putting the whole thing, in her mind. In the end, though, she couldn't deny her much more succinct way of putting it, either - that it made her happy.

Applejack nodded, smiling. "Yeah," she said in agreement. "I can dig it like an outhouse."

A moment after she said it, her smile faded a little, and she started to look a little sheepish. "That... didn't come out as well as I thought it would. Sorry."

[SMOOTH GROOVE]

On 7/2/2017 at 1:42 AM, Red Cedar said:

"That... didn't come out as well as I thought it would. Sorry."

The smile that crossed Groovi's muzzle at Applejack's words lit up her face like a neon sign.

"'Eyyyyyy... no need to apologize - if anything's keen, Stringbean, it shows you have a touch of the wild poet in yourself, foaly... even if the subject stinks."

She giggled, then strolled over to the next tree, gauged it, then tossed another kick and brought down a number of apples, one of which bounced right off her noggin, knocking her beret off and into the dirt.  However, all Groovi did was blink, then laugh heartily before turning to address the tree itself.

"Whoa... guess I should expect a smack back for that kick, eh Miss Tree?  I can dig it."

Carefully picking up the beret and hanging it on a corner of the apple cart, Groovi went back to work picking up the apples that had fallen.  As she did, she cast her sweet blue pools at the Queen of Apples once more.

"So, like... I'm pretty sure your own folks were the ones who spun your record-of-life on this particular turntable-" she gestured to the orchard surrounding them, "so tell me, foaly... swing that thing and give that bell a ring to sing the praises of how you got to be King!  Or," her smile took on a sheepish look, "mind if I ask about how it was that YOU got to be in charge of this whole she-bang?"

rWUdzLw.png

@Randimaxis

Applejack's smile returned as it seemed that her terrible turn of phrase didn't raise as big a stink as its namesake. She paused as she watched Groovi take on another tree, just to make sure she kept her form correct in order to keep herself from getting injured, when the apple decided not to fall too far from itself and struck her on her hat. Applejack smiled a little, since it wasn't like she hadn't been hit with plenty of apples in her time. "That's a hazard of the job, I'm afraid," She said. "'Course, that's why I wear the hat. Y'all might want to take a look up before you decide which side to kick."

Applejack then trotted over to the next tree, spreading around baskets underneath, taking the time to check which spot would mean the least risk of getting struck by wayward falling fruit. "Well, yeah, it's in my blood, all right. Granny would joke our blood's half cider," she said with a chuckle. "But I can't honestly say I'm the one in charge. Granny still owns the farm and my siblings and I divide up the work pretty evenly." Turning her back to the tree, she then reared up and unleashed another strike against its trunk, loosening a rain of apples, including one that bounced off her flank and into a nearby basket.

"Heh, two points!" she said with a grin.