Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Opinions On The Nintendo Switch?

OmegaBeamOfficial

I just thought I'd post this because I wanna hear what other ponies have to say about it, and I like the idea. I love the concept of being able to take home console games into the portable realm, It's something that seemed like science fiction before, but now It's actually happening! I can't wait to see what games are coming out for it, considering the large list of publishers that are going to support it. What do you guys think?

• Brohoof 3

I just watched the trailer and I liked how it switched out from the console to portable. I'm also impressed with the amount of third party companies willing to work with Nintendo. I never thought I'd see an elder scrolls game on a nintendo system.

• Brohoof 2

I personally think it's an awesome concept.

This is my reaction to the reveal trailer:

Also, I knew there was something fishy about NVidia's silence about their Tegra GPUs, and they already released a press release based on them letting Nintendo use their Tegra GPU architecture. I freaking knew it! :D

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/ Edited by Jonny Music
  • Brohoof 3

I just watched the trailer and I liked how it switched out from the console to portable. I'm also impressed with the amount of third party companies willing to work with Nintendo. I never thought I'd see an elder scrolls game on a nintendo system.

WAIT, THEY'RE PUTTING ELDER SCROLLS ON THERE?

Sorry, my inner fanboy got the best of me...

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Yeah, they showed off Skyrim in the trailer.

Oh, cool. I was joking about the inner fanboy thing, I've never actually played the Elder Scrolls games myself, I just needed something to say to justify my shock. Though I hear It's pretty mature, I'm hoping Nintendo doesn't censor it, otherwise, I probably won't choose the Switch to experience Skyrim for the first time on...

Edited by OmegaBeamOfficial
  • Brohoof 1

I'm going to be honest right off the bat and say that I don't like the name. I don't know why but it just doesn't roll off the tongue and sounds kind of silly. As for the actual package... guess those rumours turned out to be true. I'm liking the concept and appreciate Nintendo wanting to go in a different direction, but they'll need to do everything in their power and then some to keep third party developers interested and continue to support this hybrid. I've been a Nintendo fan since around 1989. Heck, I was a Sage on the NSider Forums. And yet, I'm remaining neutral towards the Switch.

The Wii U was a disaster and this system's existence is because the Wii U failed, prompting a change of course. Have Nintendo learned from their mistakes? That is a question that will be answered within the next year. Will I purchase this system? The answer to that is yes and most likely on day one, but Nintendo need to do a lot to convince those who feel they abandoned them.

• Brohoof 2

I'm going to be honest right off the bat and say that I don't like the name. I don't know why but it just doesn't roll off the tongue and sounds kind of silly. As for the actual package... guess those rumours turned out to be true. I'm liking the concept and appreciate Nintendo wanting to go in a different direction, but they'll need to do everything in their power and then some to keep third party developers interested and continue to support this hybrid. I've been a Nintendo fan since around 1989. Heck, I was a Sage on the NSider Forums. And yet, I'm remaining neutral towards the Switch.

The Wii U was a disaster and this system's existence is because the Wii U failed, prompting a change of course. Have Nintendo learned from their mistakes? That is a question that will be answered within the next year. Will I purchase this system? The answer to that is yes and most likely on day one, but Nintendo need to do a lot to convince those who feel they abandoned them.

True, I actually like the name NX better. But hey, you can always count on Nintendo to innovate in new and interesting ways. I wouldn't agree the Wii U was a disaster though, it just had low sales and is underrated in my opinion, there are a lot of great games on there, and the gamepad Isn't as intrusive as I thought it would be.

I'm unsure if Nintendo would change anything on Skyrim. Did they censor anything in the Wii U version of Mass Effect 3?

I played Mass Effect 3 on Xbox so I wouldn't know.

Whichever one has the most s*** I'm interested in, basically.

Well, I guess you have a while to wait then. Sony and Microsoft still need to reveal their stuff.

• Brohoof 1

Having Skyrim on the go is pretty awesome

There's definitely some good and bad there, they didn't show any specs or a price point, they haven't said if it has a unified account system, and we still don't know anything the battery life. On the other hand, it does look like a cool idea, the advertising on that video alone is better than the entirety of the Wii U's marketing, porting Splatoon and Mario Kart is a good idea imo(and hopefully means we'll get a SSB4 port too), we're getting an actual new Mario game and not a spin off or a NSMB, so that's nice AND NO REGION LOCKING! HALLELUJAH

Some of my worries are still there, most of the 3rd parties they have aren't different from what we're usually getting, aside from a few exceptions like Epic, Take 2 and Bethesda, but part of me feels like Skyrim's all it's getting from Bethesda, or that Take 2 doesn't include Rockstar, and considering Nintendo's past experience with 3rd parties I wouldn't be surprised. On the other hand, the fact that they got them on board at all is a bit impressive

I need to know more, and I hope we get some kind of Direct in the next few weeks, but right now, I'm cautiously optimistic

• Brohoof 3

Having Skyrim on the go is pretty awesome

There's definitely some good and bad there, they didn't show any specs or a price point, they haven't said if it has a unified account system, and we still don't know anything the battery life. On the other hand, it does look like a cool idea, the advertising on that video alone is better than the entirety of the Wii U's marketing, porting Splatoon and Mario Kart is a good idea imo(and hopefully means we'll get a SSB4 port too), we're getting an actual new Mario game and not a spin off or a NSMB, so that's nice AND NO REGION LOCKING! HALLELUJAH

Some of my worries are still there, most of the 3rd parties they have aren't different from what we're usually getting, aside from a few exceptions like Epic, Take 2 and Bethesda, but part of me feels like Skyrim's all it's getting from Bethesda, or that Take 2 doesn't include Rockstar, and considering Nintendo's past experience with 3rd parties I wouldn't be surprised. On the other hand, the fact that they got them on board at all is a bit impressive

I need to know more, and I hope we get some kind of Direct in the next few weeks, but right now, I'm cautiously optimistic

I'm sure the specs aren't that important, and that we'll get announcements of games and a price in the future. Still, I'm hoping the battery Isn't as bad as it is on Wii U gamepad. I don't know about getting a Smash port because it doesn't look like It'll have support for the Smash controller, it doesn't seem very practical. Love the new Mario game too, looks great. To be honest I don't see why so many people criticise Nintendo's lack of 3rd party support, the amount of games they make themselves more than make up for it. Though it seems like there's a large list of 3rd party supporters in the reports this time around, I don't think that would be a problem. I don't mind Rockstar not being part of it, Nintendo would censor most of GTA anyway.

Watching the Switch reveal gave me the same sort of feelings that spotting a playable Nintendo 64 display in a Sears store gave me four gens ago.

Yay for nostalgia I guess.

That looks Awesome! I can't wait to get it! (Oh right, I had to get Wii U but don't have money)

Yeah, it does look awesome.

• Brohoof 1

This is the most excited I've been for a Nintendo console since Mario 64 came out.

I feel like sharing this with everyone I see. I wish i could resurrect Nintendo Power just to buy a 100 year subscription. I am losing my mind.

• Brohoof 3

This is the most excited I've been for a Nintendo console since Mario 64 came out.

I feel like sharing this with everyone I see. I wish i could resurrect Nintendo Power just to buy a 100 year subscription. I am losing my mind.

Wow, that's a long time. Nintendo should bring back their "Now you're playing with power" slogan. That would give you the power to resurrect Nintendo Power.

• Brohoof 1

According to Nintendo's official website, Nintendo already has a HUGE abundance of 3rd Party support for the Switch.

Edited by Jonny Music
  • Brohoof 4

Wow, that's a long time. Nintendo should bring back their "Now you're playing with power" slogan. That would give you the power to resurrect Nintendo Power.

Indeed:

Now-Youre-Playing-With-Power.jpg

With the Nintendo Switch, I see the RETURN OF THE KING!

And people were screaming Nintendo's demise.

Not sure what to think at this point. It is nice that its 'gimmick' seems to actually be something practical, and not something that actually impedes upon gameplay like the Wii Remote/motion control. It's nice that it has a standard controller. That's nice.

However, I'm really not liking this meshing of handheld and console. They are two separate markets, and they should have remained that way. Handheld iterations of the series are generally held back, even though the handhelds now have the power to run full games. What I'm saying is I hope they don't start releasing 2.5D Zeldas on this system. Console Zeldas are the only Zelda's I really even care about at this point.

Also, not immediately sold on the games... I couldn't care less about Splatoon. Those character designs are an abomination. lol. Mario Kart's are fun, but I'm not buying another console for only Mario Kart to be my favorite game. I'll keep an eye on the 3D Super Mario, even if it does appear to look like linear world designs again. I'll hold my judgement off a while until we have more information, to be fair.

I'm not at all seeing where everyone here is getting this vibe that the Switch is super amazing. We know close to nothing about it.

According to Nintendo's official website, Nintendo already has a HUGE abundance of 3rd Party support for the Switch.

And how is this any different from the Wii U? When they first showed off the Wii U, they bragged about all of the third party titles coming to the console. However, they all turned out to be ports, and the support did not carry beyond that. This has not been proven to be any different for the Switch.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

Any guesses on how much the Nintendo Switch will cost? My guess is $300-$400 range.

$400 is suicide for Nintendo. I'd say $300 max....and even that feels too much

• Brohoof 3

True, I actually like the name NX better. But hey, you can always count on Nintendo to innovate in new and interesting ways. I wouldn't agree the Wii U was a disaster though, it just had low sales and is underrated in my opinion, there are a lot of great games on there, and the gamepad Isn't as intrusive as I thought it would be.

Even Nintendo themselves admitted that the Wii U was a failure--the late Satoru Iwata (may he rest in peace) specifically admitted it although Shigeru Miyamoto had his own reasoning--and the company has suffered financial losses as a result of it. I see this new system as their chance to turn things around and turn a negative into a positive. Third parties must stick with their support as they are needed more than ever. Nintendo can only go so far with their own games alone.

For now but we don't know if it will last. I'm hoping that it does but you know how fickle third party developers can be.

• Brohoof 1