Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Opinions On The Nintendo Switch?

OmegaBeamOfficial

Really you should all just be happy Nintendo has not decided to just jump on the pachinko wagon and ride that gravy train for here until eternity.

Personally I was not all that impressed. But then nothing Nintendo has done the last few years has impressed me. Then again neither has Microsoft or Sony. At the end of the day any console is just a paperweight unless it has games that make you want to play them... and I am just not as enthusiastic about a lot of the stuff being announced lately. Not saying they won't be good or fun to play... but just not all the excited either. I also have to admit, I am not all that interested in the portable market, although I can understand why so many are. But maybe that is why I just usually prefer playing older stuff I enjoyed and old titles I just missed. Sure there have been some nice titles released the last few years, but nothing really insane or heart stopping to me anymore.

It will probably be a fun system for Nintendo fans, but nothing I will most likely bother with.

• Brohoof 1

I'm excited to play Wii U games on the go, I also liked some of the new games that were displayed like Skyrim, the new Zelda a new Mario game and I think I saw some DLC for Mario Kart 8.

Umm, I hate to break it to you, but those are more than likely Switch ports of those Wii U games. Another reason why there is indefinitely no backwards compatibility, is because of the computing hardware architecture that differs a lot from the Wii U's. I'm totally fine with it, as the Xbox One and PS4 also had to move on from backwards-compatibility, and the general consumer still has no idea the Wii U exists because of the poor marketing done for it.

Edited by Jonny Music
  • Brohoof 2

Im not a huge fan of the switch's name, they should have kept it as the NX, it just has a nicer ring to it in my opinion. Im still probably going to call it the NX when its out.

As for the system itself, im being cautiously optimistic. Im definitely going to be a late adopter after the wii u years and it will take a bit longer before the paper mario spite fades. The controller also looks a bit awkward with that right analogue stick being placed where it is. Well, I guess we'll see in time. Also, if that tablet is powered by android, I'm not buying. I have nothing against android, but this shouldnt be a generic tablet with a hardware gimmick. Nobody is saying that it will be, but I had this kind of mental image while watching the trailer as they never showed off the OS.

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 1

Really you should all just be happy Nintendo has not decided to just jump on the pachinko wagon and ride that gravy train for here until eternity.

Personally I was not all that impressed. But then nothing Nintendo has done the last few years has impressed me. Then again neither has Microsoft or Sony. At the end of the day any console is just a paperweight unless it has games that make you want to play them... and I am just not as enthusiastic about a lot of the stuff being announced lately. Not saying they won't be good or fun to play... but just not all the excited either. I also have to admit, I am not all that interested in the portable market, although I can understand why so many are. But maybe that is why I just usually prefer playing older stuff I enjoyed and old titles I just missed. Sure there have been some nice titles released the last few years, but nothing really insane or heart stopping to me anymore.

It will probably be a fun system for Nintendo fans, but nothing I will most likely bother with.

I have no plans to get the PS4 or Xbox One. 

• Brohoof 1

Since earlier this year, I have always been fascinated by the idea of portable hardware becoming more and more commonplace with gaming.  The ability to take ether your tablet or smartphone(Or another device) out into the open and play it, or plug it into your TV and enjoy the game.

In my view, the Nintendo Switch feels like that first step that will help push gaming into the era of portable hardware that's not bound to a TV set.  It's the kind of freedom I've been waiting for, and this is coming from a PC gamer.  Heck, I want Microsoft to follow through with an X-Box One Surface tablet, with a collaboration with Valve and their Steam service to help streamline PC gaming onto tablets like Nintendo is doing with Switch.

• Brohoof 2

Interesting portability options but it would be limited by your battery life, especially if it's pushing those graphics. I wonder on how the TV would turn off after you take the Switch away from the dock.

• Brohoof 2

I own both a PS4 and an Xbox One. There are good games on each, and there are disappointing games on each. Nothing about either of those consoles is particularly standout; they're just like the past generation in their respective console lines with relatively better hardware and performance capabilities. That's honestly all they are; which is fine. But when you see very disappointing next gen gaming experiences like Destiny and The Division, it makes them seem all the more... Conventional. Boring.

Much like tired old discussions about hardware specs and third party support. (The Switch was revealed all of five minutes ago, people.) So far as portable gaming systems go (no, I'm not talking about your phone), it IS the market. Sony's portable is kaput, and Microsoft hasn't shown any interest whatsoever in that particular market. With this one reveal, Nintendo has people who love its first party titles, a chunk of the home console market, and the portable gaming market all to itself; its only direct competition is other Nintendo portables.

The Wii U was different, but it was awkward-stage different. It was that unfortunate young man in high school trying to grow their hair out, but their bangs exploded and the rest stopped just short of their shoulders. And some people were supportive, "I see what you were going for, and you've got guts for trying. But... You just never quite got there." The Switch looks to be what the Wii U should have been, and it's going to be my next home console purchase. Oh: And next portable purchase. I have precisely ZERO reason to consider the PS4 Pro and Xbox One Scorpio.

Again, I totally agree with this post in every way! I love my Wii U and PS4, but the PS4 felt run of the mill (don't regret getting it though, Bloodborne is too good), and the Wii U definitely didn't reach half of its potential. Hopefully the Switch will learn from the U's mistakes. Edited by Shift
  • Brohoof 3

As I've done with the WIIU, I don't buy gimmickies, I buy quality games. And with the experience of two generations past, I'm skeptical. I'm wrong? Let's wait and see  >_>

If you read my posts on this thread, you'll notice that I have been using common sense and understand why the Switch will be much more successful compared to the previous two gen consoles.

• Brohoof 2

If you read my posts on this thread, you'll notice that I have been using common sense and understand why the Switch will be much more successful compared to the previous two gen consoles.

Perhaps. But in the end, the games are the true stars, and any attempts to put the spotlight on gimmicks over games are met with short term success at best. Make the most useful, innovative, practical, at a great prices even, etc gimmick, but games the things that matter 

• Brohoof 2

Perhaps. But in the end, the games are the true stars, and any attempts to put the spotlight on gimmicks over games are met with short term success at best. Make the most useful, innovative, practical, at a great prices even, etc gimmick, but games the things that matter 

Of course the games will matter. That's why I mentioned on my posts (I think) that it already has tremendous 3rd-party support, for very good reasons. Which Tatsumi Kimishima as Nintendo Global's President and CEO, must have really enhanced the late Satoru Iwata's vision on the Switch to a whole-new level.

• Brohoof 2

As I've done with the WIIU, I don't buy gimmickies, I buy quality games. And with the experience of two generations past, I'm skeptical. I'm wrong? Let's wait and see  >_>

No, I wouldn't say you were wrong. I'd say you're being cautious because of prior experience.

• Brohoof 2

No, I wouldn't say you were wrong. I'd say you're being cautious because of prior experience.

Yes, I was wondering if he was thinking like that. Nothing wrong with being cautious tho.

Edited by Jonny Music
  • Brohoof 3

Yes, I was wondering if he was thinking like that. Nothing wrong with being cautious tho.

I'm being cautious about the Nintendo Switch myself. I do see it as having a lot of potential although Nintendo is going to need to step things up if they want to move on past the Wii U. Third party developers are on board according to that chart that was seen alongside the video trailer, so at least they've got amble support right now. A strong launch line-up and good marketing will carry them far. I am concerned that with only five months until the release, maybe they waited too long for the unveiling?

• Brohoof 2

I am concerned that with only five months until the release, maybe they waited too long for the unveiling?

I wouldn't think so, they just needed enough time to prepare this reveal for us to make the presentation as simple and straight to the point as possible.

• Brohoof 3

I wouldn't think so, they just needed enough time to prepare this reveal for us to make the presentation as simple and straight to the point as possible.

Perhaps you're right. That does mean I'm expecting more announcements within the coming weeks and months.

• Brohoof 2

Perhaps you're right. That does mean I'm expecting more announcements within the coming weeks and months.

Of course they will reveal more info in the coming weeks and months. The reveal trailer is just the beginning of a new era for Nintendo.

• Brohoof 2

Of course they will reveal more info in the coming weeks and months. The reveal trailer is just the beginning of a new era for Nintendo.

I am hoping for a new IP to be introduced. I know that Splatoon is still fairly new but it would be nice if they could continue that trend with something no one would ever expect.

• Brohoof 2

I too am a multiplatform gamer (though I always will have a Nintendo bias as I grew up with them), and I do like playing games on PC too (as well as my Xbox 360), though I also feel that the early cynicism and criticism for the Switch is a little too premature as there is still a whole lot more info that is still to be confirmed by Nintendo themselves.

So, as my first impressions of the Switch, I think it's design, function and concept are spot-on. They nailed it perfectly for the demographic they showed on the trailer (which is very similar to my case since I am already in the realms of the responsibilities of adulthood), and it should do well for the rest of whoever it's supposed to grab attention to (even the casual market for that matter).

To conclude my first impressions, Nintendo really have outdone themselves with presenting the reveal for the system. And looking at the current gaming market (since mobile is a huge part of it nowadays), I'd say Nintendo is making a smart business decision trying to cater to the mobile market like this. All powered with the latest in NVidia Pascal graphics running on a Tegra chip.

There is a chance the docking station shown on the trailer may have supplemental graphics computing to be able to output better graphic fidelity on a TV screen (which with tech today, is definitely possible), but alas, Nintendo has to confirm that themselves.

We have to wait and see until we know enough about the console and It's games.

I also find it kind of interesting they show no kids in the trailer, almost like Nintendo has given up marketing to them because kids nowadays seem more interested in Call of Duty than anything Nintendo has to offer.

With the success of the 3DS I have a feeling this'll do well, Nintendo has seized the portable console market. I wouldn't know much about the graphics card though, I'm not that tech savvy.

I own both a PS4 and an Xbox One.  There are good games on each, and there are disappointing games on each.  Nothing about either of those consoles is particularly standout; they're just like the past generation in their respective console lines with relatively better hardware and performance capabilities.  That's honestly all they are; which is fine.  But when you see very disappointing next gen gaming experiences like Destiny and The Division, it makes them seem all the more...  Conventional.  Boring.

Much like tired old discussions about hardware specs and third party support.  (The Switch was revealed all of five minutes ago, people.)  So far as portable gaming systems go (no, I'm not talking about your phone), it IS the market.  Sony's portable is kaput, and Microsoft hasn't shown any interest whatsoever in that particular market.  With this one reveal, Nintendo has people who love its first party titles, a chunk of the home console market, and the portable gaming market all to itself; its only direct competition is other Nintendo portables.

The Wii U was different, but it was awkward-stage different.  It was that unfortunate young man in high school trying to grow their hair out, but their bangs exploded and the rest stopped just short of their shoulders.  And some people were supportive, "I see what you were going for, and you've got guts for trying.  But...  You just never quite got there."  The Switch looks to be what the Wii U should have been, and it's going to be my next home console purchase.  Oh: And next portable purchase.  I have precisely ZERO reason to consider the PS4 Pro and Xbox One Scorpio.

I get what you mean. I'll probably still buy both the Xbox and the Switch anyway, but I understand where you're coming from. Also, on the subject of competition, the 3DS and the Switch can exist in the same market, there's no telling which is better right now of course, but the 3DS still has the double screen which can make for some interesting games.

You seem a little neutral on this whole thing I guess, but hey, that's fine.

I'm excited to play Wii U games on the go, I also liked some of the new games that were displayed like Skyrim, the new Zelda a new Mario game and I think I saw some DLC for Mario Kart 8.

Yeah, I'm hoping we can see more of that Mario game soon.

Umm, I hate to break it to you, but those are more than likely Switch ports of those Wii U games. Another reason why there is indefinitely no backwards compatibility, is because of the computing hardware architecture that differs a lot from the Wii U's. I'm totally fine with it, as the Xbox One and PS4 also had to move on from backwards-compatibility, and the general consumer still has no idea the Wii U exists because of the poor marketing done for it.

Well, It's like I said before, we can only hope that Nintendo will port a decent amount of Wii U games to the switch.

Im not a huge fan of the switch's name, they should have kept it as the NX, it just has a nicer ring to it in my opinion. Im still probably going to call it the NX when its out.

As for the system itself, im being cautiously optimistic. Im definitely going to be a late adopter after the wii u years and it will take a bit longer before the paper mario spite fades. The controller also looks a bit awkward with that right analogue stick being placed where it is. Well, I guess we'll see in time. Also, if that tablet is powered by android, I'm not buying. I have nothing against android, but this shouldnt be a generic tablet with a hardware gimmick. Nobody is saying that it will be, but I had this kind of mental image while watching the trailer as they never showed off the OS.

Paper Mario what now? I agree with you on the name though. Besides, I'm sure before release Nintendo will send out review consoles and they can confirm any problems with the controller. This Isn't a tablet, it won't be powered by Android I'm fairly certain, Nintendo probably has their own OS for this thing. Besides, even if it was, Android is still better than any other OS in the tablet market so...

I have no plans to get the PS4 or Xbox One. 

That's sort of irrelevant to what grim was saying.

Interesting portability options but it would be limited by your battery life, especially if it's pushing those graphics. I wonder on how the TV would turn off after you take the Switch away from the dock.

I doubt it would do it automatically.

Since earlier this year, I have always been fascinated by the idea of portable hardware becoming more and more commonplace with gaming.  The ability to take ether your tablet or smartphone(Or another device) out into the open and play it, or plug it into your TV and enjoy the game.

In my view, the Nintendo Switch feels like that first step that will help push gaming into the era of portable hardware that's not bound to a TV set.  It's the kind of freedom I've been waiting for, and this is coming from a PC gamer.  Heck, I want Microsoft to follow through with an X-Box One Surface tablet, with a collaboration with Valve and their Steam service to help streamline PC gaming onto tablets like Nintendo is doing with Switch.

I don't think we'll see Microsoft or Valve ever do that, but hey It's good to have dreams though.

Again, I totally agree with this post in every way! I love my Wii U and PS4, but the PS4 felt run of the mill (don't regret getting it though, Bloodborne is too good), and the Wii U definitely didn't reach half of its potential. Hopefully the Switch will learn from the U's mistakes.

You can say that again... XD

I like the way it books, but I'll wait until a year passes by to consider getting it.

I'll never understand why people call Nintendo consoles gimmicky. It's not a gimmick, It's just a new feature. At least they're trying something new, and well, I suppose we DO have to wait and see for the games to be any good.

It is only a prediction man, we can't say anything for sure yet.

Again, not really gimmicks, but I get where you're coming from.

Of course the games will matter. That's why I mentioned on my posts (I think) that it already has tremendous 3rd-party support, for very good reasons. Which Tatsumi Kimishima as Nintendo Global's President and CEO, must have really enhanced the late Satoru Iwata's vision on the Switch to a whole-new level.

Yeah, let's hope those 3rd parties don't ditch though...

• Brohoof 1

On one hand Nintendo's new gimmick looks useful and actually doesn't sacrifice practicality like motion controls and the tablet controller did. Pretty clever of them to have the actual buttons and joysticks slide off of the controller on the fly, seems like they've listened to Wii U criticism...

But on the other hand we don't know the specs and the price yet... and the cartridge based platform aspect is kind of unnerving to me. Nintendo has always had a habit of alienating third party content through use of unconventional hardware specs (and just because it has a list of developers backing it now, doesn't mean they'll still want to make games for it once the Switch hits the markets, remember how promising Wii U's third party support looked when it first came out? There were third party games, sure, but there were many devs that avoided Wii U due to the inferior specs.). It happened with the Gamecube, the Wii and the Wii U with their systems being less powerful than XBox and Playstation. It even happened in the exact same way that the Switch might go out with the N64 when Nintendo refused to use anything but cartridges while the rest of the world moved on without them. Thankfully, technology has improved since then and we can easily get similar tech to cartridges such as SD cards with over 100 gigs of space that are tiny enough to fit in your cell phone and in the grand scheme of technology prices are pretty inexpensive, heck for all I know, cartridges may be just as good as discs by now, I'm not a tech guru... but I'm still pretty sure that isn't the case, and if anything is going to screw over the Switch, it's being cartridge based unless there's a secondary disc optic drive...

Either way, however, I'll probably be buying it because it'll be the only console that isn't a cruddier version of a PC and capable of offering a different experience from the games I can get on Steam, GoG, and CD Rom

PC & Nintendo master race!

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, let's hope those 3rd parties don't ditch though...

After seeing and listening to what other devs and indie devs have been saying about the Switch, I am very certain the 3rd party support will stay, as long as Nintendo keeps up with the great work they have made so far, thanks to Tatsumi Kimishima taking over.

• Brohoof 2

I'm being cautious about the Nintendo Switch myself. I do see it as having a lot of potential although Nintendo is going to need to step things up if they want to move on past the Wii U. Third party developers are on board according to that chart that was seen alongside the video trailer, so at least they've got amble support right now. A strong launch line-up and good marketing will carry them far. I am concerned that with only five months until the release, maybe they waited too long for the unveiling?

I am hoping for a new IP to be introduced. I know that Splatoon is still fairly new but it would be nice if they could continue that trend with something no one would ever expect.

Being cautious about it is reasonable, we need to wait for more information and news to unfold. I know I'll be buying it, but I still need to be cautious because we don't know much about the system other than It's whole double console and portable feature, though for me that's a selling point alone.

I think we had enough new IP's with the Wii U.

After seeing and listening to what other devs and indie devs have been saying about the Switch, I am very certain the 3rd party support will stay, as long as Nintendo keeps up with the great work they have made so far, thanks to Tatsumi Kimishima taking over.

Are  you saying Satoura Iwata was bad at his job?

On one hand Nintendo's new gimmick looks useful and actually doesn't sacrifice practicality like motion controls and the tablet controller did. Pretty clever of them to have the actual buttons and joysticks slide off of the controller on the fly, seems like they've listened to Wii U criticism...

But on the other hand we don't know the specs and the price yet... and the cartridge based platform aspect is kind of unnerving to me. Nintendo has always had a habit of alienating third party content through use of unconventional hardware specs (and just because it has a list of developers backing it now, doesn't mean they'll still want to make games for it once the Switch hits the markets, remember how promising Wii U's third party support looked when it first came out? There were third party games, sure, but there were many devs that avoided Wii U due to the inferior specs.). It happened with the Gamecube, the Wii and the Wii U with their systems being less powerful than XBox and Playstation. It even happened in the exact same way that the Switch might go out with the N64 when Nintendo refused to use anything but cartridges while the rest of the world moved on without them. Thankfully, technology has improved since then and we can easily get similar tech to cartridges such as SD cards with over 100 gigs of space that are tiny enough to fit in your cell phone and in the grand scheme of technology prices are pretty inexpensive, heck for all I know, cartridges may be just as good as discs by now, I'm not a tech guru... but I'm still pretty sure that isn't the case, and if anything is going to screw over the Switch, it's being cartridge based unless there's a secondary disc optic drive...

Either way, however, I'll probably be buying it because it'll be the only console that isn't a cruddier version of a PC and capable of offering a different experience from the games I can get on Steam, GoG, and CD Rom

That sounds interesting... On the subject of 3rd party support, I guess we do have to be careful about it. There's no telling what could happen here. And I don't think cartridges will be nearly as hard to program games for as the gamepad apparently was.

• Brohoof 2

When it comes to keeping the portability factor, cartridges are the way to go. The storage capacity of them certainly have advanced a lot during the past 20 years, so it would make total sense for Nintendo to go back to cartridges, since they do have a huge benefit of them having much faster loading times compared to optical media.

As for graphics, knowing that NVidia is supplying the graphics for the Switch (which is a custom Pascal-based Tegra X2-like chip), I'm pretty confident that it will compete graphically with the PS4 and Xbox One. Tho that docking station may also have additional computing power just for the TV gaming experience, while when you are on the go, the hardware on the console (which is in a form of a tablet) will still output very decent graphical fidelity on the go. Though when you are on the go, it shouldn't matter too much since you will tend to be using a much smaller screen compared to a TV you may be using at home.

Edited by Jonny Music
  • Brohoof 2