Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Opinions On The Nintendo Switch?

OmegaBeamOfficial

The Adventure Mode consists of five maps that have a number of panels with a challenge in each panel. They take roughly fifteen minutes to complete and the number of panels varies from map to map. Two maps have 128 panels, another one has roughly 98, another has about 91, and the last has eight because its a rewards map.

In Legends, there are five additional maps that the Wii U version doesn't get, and those have between 80-114 panels in each. The last map isn't available yet but will be by the end of the year.

Wow, that's kinda shocking...

I'm personally very excited for the Switch! Glad they are ditching the Wii name and moving on. I see lots of potential with this. 

So do I, wonder why they even used that name...

• Brohoof 1

Wow, that's kinda shocking...

You could say that without the DLC, you'll only experience half of what Hyrule Warriors has to offer. Wii U owners are upset that the new maps are exclusive to the 3DS version, but that's because Legends has some new features and addressed problems that make the console game obsolete. Legends isn't perfect mind you but perhaps they could make further improvements for a possible sequel for the Switch. A new Hyrule Warriors game would be perfect for Nintendo's new system.

• Brohoof 1

You could say that without the DLC, you'll only experience half of what Hyrule Warriors has to offer. Wii U owners are upset that the new maps are exclusive to the 3DS version, but that's because Legends has some new features and addressed problems that make the console game obsolete. Legends isn't perfect mind you but perhaps they could make further improvements for a possible sequel for the Switch. A new Hyrule Warriors game would be perfect for Nintendo's new system.

I think maybe they would have been better off if they released it on the 3DS first to gain notoriety, since a lot more people own a 3DS than a Wii U, then release the "Legends" version on the Wii U later, I mean to me it makes sense to have the best version of a game on the home console rather than the portable. I've never played Hyrule Warriors myself granted, but you get the point.

• Brohoof 1

I think maybe they would have been better off if they released it on the 3DS first to gain notoriety, since a lot more people own a 3DS than a Wii U, then release the "Legends" version on the Wii U later, I mean to me it makes sense to have the best version of a game on the home console rather than the portable. I've never played Hyrule Warriors myself granted, but you get the point.

I agree that should have been what they did, but the 3DS wasn't on their radar when Hyrule Warriors was initially conceived. Their thought process was to release a Dynasty Warriors/Legend of Zelda hybrid, and if it proved successful enough, they would consider porting it over to the 3DS so that people could play it on the go. Was the transition successful? Not really as they had to tone down a lot in terms of graphical power and sprite placement on the screen.

• Brohoof 1

I agree that should have been what they did, but the 3DS wasn't on their radar when Hyrule Warriors was initially conceived. Their thought process was to release a Dynasty Warriors/Legend of Zelda hybrid, and if it proved successful enough, they would consider porting it over to the 3DS so that people could play it on the go. Was the transition successful? Not really as they had to tone down a lot in terms of graphical power and sprite placement on the screen.

True, I think they were trying to push the Wii U for a system seller game constantly and just like the rest, HW didn't work.

I like how Nintendo Switch looks like it's going to be the console Wii U was meant to be but never became.

Maybe they were just tired in the board meeting when they came up with the Wii U, or the technology wasn't there yet... Yeah, It's probably the latter...

True, I think they were trying to push the Wii U for a system seller game constantly and just like the rest, HW didn't work.

Hyrule Warriors did work but the install base for the Wii U was much lower than Nintendo expected. Had it been higher, it would have sold a lot more than it did. It sold enough to warrant a sequel/port so it wasn't all bad.

• Brohoof 1

Hyrule Warriors did work but the install base for the Wii U was much lower than Nintendo expected. Had it been higher, it would have sold a lot more than it did. It sold enough to warrant a sequel/port so it wasn't all bad.

Well, it came out OK in the end, that's all that matters.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think Hyrule Warriors needs a sequel, but that's just me.

You'd be surprised by how many people want to see one. There are plenty of Zelda characters fans wanted to see be playable but they weren't able to be included in time. They also want to see the other handheld games in the series be represented.

• Brohoof 1

You'd be surprised by how many people want to see one. There are plenty of Zelda characters fans wanted to see be playable but they weren't able to be included in time. They also want to see the other handheld games in the series be represented.

If Agatha the bug princess was made playable, ANYONE will be playable eventually.

I guess you could hot spot your Swich to your phone and play online. I am skeptical about how popular the mobile play will be. Don't let anyone steal it. Could you link it to the WiiU as another tablet? Probably not.

Doubt it. After the Wii U, Nintendo seems to be wanting to get as far away from it as possible.

• Brohoof 1

If Agatha the bug princess was made playable, ANYONE will be playable eventually.

The developers choose characters based on significance to a Zelda's game's storyline and if they happened to be popular enough that players would want to use them. Medli, from the Wind Waker, was chosen based on how popular she was.

• Brohoof 1

The developers choose characters based on significance to a Zelda's game's storyline and if they happened to be popular enough that players would want to use them. Medli, from the Wind Waker, was chosen based on how popular she was.

Fair enough. Again, I've not played any of the game myself, but analysing the footage and reviews I've seen, it looks more like a one-time spin off than something that'll be developed into a massive series.

• Brohoof 1

Fair enough. Again, I've not played any of the game myself, but analysing the footage and reviews I've seen, it looks more like a one-time spin off than something that'll be developed into a massive series.

It's also non-canon to the rest of the series, so anything that happens in the game is strictly contained within itself. Would I like to see a sequel? It would be nice but I think Nintendo want to have their big games lead the charge for the Switch.

• Brohoof 1

It looks amazing but I think it'll suck because it's Nintendo, the old people in charge seem to get dumber every week.

I dunno, despite the Wii U they seem to be holding up pretty well.

It's also non-canon to the rest of the series, so anything that happens in the game is strictly contained within itself. Would I like to see a sequel? It would be nice but I think Nintendo want to have their big games lead the charge for the Switch.

True, and I'm hoping the Switch keeps far away from involving any gyroscope stuff, it just makes playing the games that use it awkward, and this is coming from someone who actually liked Star Fox Zero.

• Brohoof 1

True, and I'm hoping the Switch keeps far away from involving any gyroscope stuff, it just makes playing the games that use it awkward, and this is coming from someone who actually liked Star Fox Zero.

Using gyroscope controls could end up being a detriment.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's a console, I've got a PC, I have no use for it.

but, it looks alright. Usually Nintendo makes the superior consoles, but they've been lacking in 3rd party support which makes them iffy, if it has good third party support, I could see the Switch being a major success.

I didn't like the false advertising of Skyrim though. Makes me think of something Microsoft would do. Not sure if Bethesda's fault or Nintendo's.

Oh boy, we have a PC master race supporter here...

I thought the 3RD party support would be better this time too, but it seems Nintendo haven't said anything about if Skyrim will actually be on the console yet. But I remain optimistic.

I thought the 3RD party support would be better this time too, but it seems Nintendo haven't said anything about if Skyrim will actually be on the console yet. But I remain optimistic.

Multiple sources saying it's happening(with mod support no less) and Todd Howard both praising the Switch and saying they have a few games for it more or less confirms it

• Brohoof 1

Oh yeah, I support pro consumerism, how sad.

I hope it has great 3rd party support. I hope it has backwards compatibility too. If it does have 3rd party support, like really good third party support, I could see it blowing away the next generation of Xbox and PS due to it costing WAY less due to no monthly subscription for online gaming and stuff like that. It could succeed, I want it to succeed. I want it to be good. I want it to be pro-consumer.

but, I still want that mustached dude with the red cap. he cool.

I don't think PC's are pro-consumerism though, for gaming at least. It can cost you several thousands of dollars just to get a competent gaming rig, I tried to find one myself, and since I put performance before price, I want the best PC I can get because that's what you need to be sure it can run everything you throw at it well. I believe the damn thing was £8000, not many people have that kind of money lying around. That, and Steam has all the standard Season Pass and content ripped from the game to sell as DLC malarchy, pre-order culture etc.

It's unlikely there will be back compat, the system uses cartridges so the best we can hope for is rereleases or updated versions of games from the Wii U. I personally don't think monthly subscriptions are that bad, if I have to pay just for online play, I won't do that, but they throw in extra stuff to make it more worthwhile, free games, deals on games, allowing use of the cloud and tons of other benefits.

What about the one with the green cap?

Edited by OmegaBeamOfficial

I don't think PC's are pro-consumerism though, for gaming at least. It can cost you several thousands of dollars just to get a competent gaming rig, I tried to find one myself, and since I put performance before price, I want the best PC I can get because that's what you need to be sure it can run everything you throw at it well. I believe the damn thing was £8000, not many people have that kind of money lying around. That, and Steam has all the standard Season Pass and content ripped from the game to sell as DLC malarchy, pre-order culture etc.

It's unlikely there will be back compat, the system uses cartridges so the best we can hope for is rereleases or updated versions of games from the Wii U. I personally don't think monthly subscriptions are that bad, if I have to pay just for online play, I won't do that, but they throw in extra stuff to make it more worthwhile, free games, deals on games, allowing use of the cloud and tons of other benefits.

What about the one with the green cap?

Indeed. You know much money I spent on a PC that could play The Sims 3 plus all Expansion Packs at their best with the most minimum of parts to do so? Over $1000. I wasn't buying a factory-made PC, because a factory-made PC with those specs would cost over twice that. I had the help of other people to figure out the cheapest prices for what I needed, and it still came up to over a thousand... For a The Sims game, which are far from the most intensive PC games.

And then the game still has issues running after I spent a fortune. At least I know when I buy a console, the games are made for that console as it is, and will run the way they're supposed to (unless the developers screwed up, hardly seen that ever be a thing of any consequence, really). I never have to think "A better video card/processor/etc. could have run this game properly (when I've already spent waayyyy too much money)". PC gaming is a big headache to me. Even if you do have the right parts for one game, another game will come out and you'll have to think of upgrading again. Ouch. I'm so glad that I'm only interested in The Sims, and that The Sims 4 is a bad game so I don't even have to worry about being sucked into it and all of the money-making schemes that EA have come up with.

Speaking of which... the PC format... It is exceptionally suited to money-gouging. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge the PC is where Expansion Packs and DLC really started, or at least took off. EA got horribly greedy with The Sims, especially in The Sims 3 and the PC format with the allowance for Expansion Packs, other packs, and a DLC store (a concept which hadn't really seen much use in the console world yet).

Of course, now we have money-gouging on all formats - PC, consoles, mobile. But the one that did it first? The one that laid down that foundation... I do remember it being the PC.

Now I'm not putting down the PC as a whole. As I've said before it is the very best format for The Sims. The custom content and modding is great. With consoles modding is frowned up by the developers and much, much, much harder to implement, with the chance of it bricking your console (and with that, the amount of custom content and modding is very small on consoles, and the quality thereof is oftentimes lacking from lack of experience or talented creators). This is the one place that the PC excels for me, and it makes The Sims great.

Boy would I love to have the custom content and modding of the PC The Sims in a game like Animal Crossing.

I'm just saying... The PC isn't the perfect system. It has done good, and it has done bad. Just like every other platform.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 2

Indeed. You know much money I spent on a PC that could play The Sims 3 plus all Expansion Packs at their best with the most minimum of parts to do so? Over $1000. I wasn't buying a factory-made PC, because a factory-made PC with those specs would cost over twice that. I had the help of other people to figure out the cheapest prices for what I needed, and it still came up to over a thousand... For a The Sims game, which are far from the most intensive PC games.

And then the game still has issues running after I spent a fortune. At least I know when I buy a console, the games are made for that console as it is, and will run the way they're supposed to (unless the developers screwed up, hardly seen that ever be a thing of any consequence, really). I never have to think "A better video card/processor/etc. could have run this game properly (when I've already spent waayyyy too much money)". PC gaming is a big headache to me. Even if you do have the right parts for one game, another game will come out and you'll have to think of upgrading again. Ouch. I'm so glad that I'm only interested in The Sims, and that The Sims 4 is a bad game so I don't even have to worry about being sucked into it and all of the money-making schemes that EA have come up with.

Speaking of which... the PC format... It is exceptionally suited to money-gouging. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge the PC is where Expansion Packs and DLC really started, or at least took off. EA got horribly greedy with The Sims, especially in The Sims 3 and the PC format with the allowance for Expansion Packs, other packs, and a DLC store (a concept which hadn't really seen much use in the console world yet).

Of course, now we have money-gouging on all formats - PC, consoles, mobile. But the one that did it first? The one that laid down that foundation... I do remember it being the PC.

Now I'm not putting down the PC as a whole. As I've said before it is the very best format for The Sims. The custom content and modding is great. With consoles modding is frowned up by the developers and much, much, much harder to implement, with the chance of it bricking your console (and with that, the amount of custom content and modding is very small on consoles, and the quality thereof is oftentimes lacking from lack of experience or talented creators). This is the one place that the PC excels for me, and it makes The Sims great.

Boy would I love to have the custom content and modding of the PC The Sims in a game like Animal Crossing.

I'm just saying... The PC isn't the perfect system. It has done good, and it has done bad. Just like every other platform.

Well, to be honest, we've come to expect that kind of shoddy work from EA nowadays anyway. It's not like I'll never buy another one of their games again, I really loved Titanfall, but I think it's safe to say that they care more about the money in their pockets rather than the actual consumer, as any company plagued with greed do. It's not surprising they had a hand in starting one of the most greedy and blunt ideas in gaming, and while I'm not sure of the details, whether EA actually developed the game or if they just published it, I'm willing to bet either way that they did a hack of a job on it and left in any PC issues you might have possible even with the best gear, or they got whoever made it for them to rush it out the door too early.

Unless you want fucking 8K resolution, it won't. My $450 PC runs fine. In fact, it can do GTA V @ 4K High Settings 60fps.

and yes, most people would not spend 8k on a PC. Even a gaming PC. I don't really know.. anybody that would do that to be honest. Maybe game devs...? Maybe..??? :confused:

That's not Valve's fault. It's the people who make the games. DLC exists mostly because of fanboyism and such.

Also, there's no free games. You're paying monthly/yearly for them. Plus, Origin & Uplay offer free monthly games anyways. Got FC3: Blood Dragon from Uplay this month. :orly: and Steam, GOG, etc also offer free games randomly.. even the Windows Store does it.. crazy.

and games are always cheaper on the PC, paying extra for deals that don't even come close to it isn't worth it. Also, the cloud? I'm not entirely sure what that is on consoles, is it savegames..? Because the Steam Cloud has existed.. for as long as I can remember. and you don't need to pay for it.

and yes, he is my favorite. I never knew why. I just like him. :P

Yeah, call me picky if you want, but I don't buy a system just for GTAV, there are tons of games out there that work better with different components than others, and trying to find the cards that work best for the most games is a royal pain in the ass. Plus, not to mention how the VR market is growing and becoming this big thing, so a VR headset will probably run me a little more money. I just don't think It's very convenient, and I get it, It's meant to be, since with PC gaming you're a lot more hands on than with console gaming, but I guess I have to ask, where the hell did you get a PC that can run GTAV @ 4K High Settings 60FPS for a little over 400 bucks? That game is a powerhouse to run.

Yes, but I don't think we should act like it doesn't matter.

As someone who has used all three services, the free Origin and Uplay games don't really matter when you consider how bad the actual client is. It'd be a lot better if they just put their games on Steam like everyone else.

Well, It's not that you have to pay to save games online or anything, It's just that to my knowledge having a GOLD subscription, so I guess this is just an Xbox thing or something, allows access to extra features in the cloud.

I think Nintendo want the third party developers to advertise their own games for the switch rather than them doing it since they'll have their own games to focus on. Right now, nothing is stopping third parties from making any announcements or providing updates to what may have been shown. Getting them on board is one thing but keeping them on board is another.

• Brohoof 1