What did you think of the finale?  

218 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it!

• No; that was just shameful!
    • Not really, just another dud.
    • Meh; neutral.
    • It was pretty cool; seen better tho.
    • THAT WAS MEGA EPIC!!! <3

I'll be honest. Thorax changing into a rock back in "Times R Changeling" was totally pointless and just created unneeded paranoia among the fans. 

Because I can tell you that in all the tv episodes that featured the Changelings including this finale, they not once revealed themselves disguising themselves as non-living creatures! Not even as a tree listening in on our reformed heroes coming up with a code word

Thorax could have just hidden behind a wall and lashed out at Spike when he approached him back then. So Thorax never turned into a rock in that episode, as far as I'm concerned.

You can't just ignore something that happened in an episode and pretend it didn't happen.

It did happen, Changelings turning to non living things is canon.

• Brohoof 2

Remember what Thorax said in his backstory when he first met Spike? "I didn't want to steal love, I wanted to share it." From the moment he was inspired by the Mane 6 working together to repel the evil changelings, he was foreshadowed to become a much better sharing leader than the selfish Queen Chrysalis! Brilliant! To satirize a quote from a certain sci-fi series: "Changelings need love, like everything does!" [/size]

You can't just ignore something that happened in an episode and pretend it didn't happen.
It did happen, Changelings turning to non living things is canon.

I was saying that the Changelings never used the "ability to change into non-living things" to their advantage at all! Ever! Did you not read my post? If they could, they would have easily known about the code word and would have fool everypony!

Where do we ever see the Changelings actually suck the love out of their victims other than the Queen. I think the Changelings can feed off love without causing harm if the love and care is mutual.

It's like a box of cookies representing love. Queen Chrysalis selfishly wants the "cookies" for herself and her species that she just Steals the love away, which would cause the ponies to be harmed in the long run.

But with Thorax following the ponies' example of Sharing the "Cookies" of love, both the Changeling and pony benefit.

Mutual love and respect shared between 2 good friends is much stronger than selfish, one-sided, stolen love.

I'm sure there must be other fans who've come to the same conclusion as I have in the years since the Changelings' debut.

Now that this episode is out. I'm putting this quote here where it better fits.

Edited by WiiGuy2014

I was it was never used to their advantage at all! Ever! Did you not read my post? If they could, they would have easily known about the code word and would have fool everypony!

Just because an idea in canon isn't used to it's fullest potential, doesn't mean you can just ignore that it's canon. Thorax was capable of turning into a rock.

There's potential headcanon's possible about why this ability wasn't used in the way you suggest, perhaps it's not a common ability? Maybe something only Thorax and a small selection of other Changeling's have learned. Frankly, you could complain about why the Changeling's didn't seem to notice the rescue group as much as they should have in general.

If you personally want to ignore it, fine. But don't try to say it isn't an ability they have in a debate or conversation, because it won't fly.

• Brohoof 3

RIP old geeky Thorax. The only thing left of him might be his voice and personality, and that might even be gone if they change them to fit his new regal stature.  :(

They did some really nice particle animation when the top of the castle spire was blown off.

The ending still felt rushed, though seeing it for a second time plays a little better now than when I first viewed it.

Edited by Truffles
  • Brohoof 2

I can give an explanation as to why the throne was destroyed:

The Changeling Queen has been teaching her subjects to impersonate an pony's loved one and steal the love that is given to them! She never taught them how to give the love themselves, which is much more powerful. Shared love is much stronger than stolen love! That throne must have been built on nothing but false love. And so when Thorax shared the love and showed the others to do so, Boom!

Edited by WiiGuy2014
  • Brohoof 4

Best season finale ever. I can barely process and fathom everything That just happened in these episodes, so much payoff for longtime watchers- Starlight being front and center, Trixie, Discord, Thorax and the return of the rest of the changelings including Chrysalis ERMAHGERD :blink:

• Brohoof 4

Just because an idea in canon isn't used to it's fullest potential, doesn't mean you can just ignore that it's canon. Thorax was capable of turning into a rock.

There's potential headcanon's possible about why this ability wasn't used in the way you suggest, perhaps it's not a common ability? Maybe something only Thorax and a small selection of other Changeling's have learned. Frankly, you could complain about why the Changeling's didn't seem to notice the rescue group as much as they should have in general.

If you personally want to ignore it, fine. But don't try to say it isn't an ability they have in a debate or conversation, because it won't fly.

Reminds me of tabletop rpg. Sometimes, the players completely forget about an item they've picked up, or to say that they're picking up an item before leaving. Then they realise that and they're "oh... fudge" :umad: 

• Brohoof 2

I really love the episode. The squad, the new Changelings, and Queen Chrysalis. I love it all. My favorite part is Chrysalis' creepy entrance :D

A personal wild guess from me: season 7 reveals Chrysalis and the Changelings were created by another malevolent entity. Yeah, probably won't happen (especially with the comics' canon), but I can dream and imagine my own version right? :P

• Brohoof 2

I loved these episodes! Finally after over 4.5 years we get some Chrysy again! (That short shot in an earlier ep doesn't count :P )

There was just so much I loved in this ender. The fact that we got full on Starlight! A new crew with Starlight, Trixie, Discord, and Thorax. What a team! Kind of broken but that just made it even more entertaining. And Discord's fury at hearing Shy had been taken. I knew he would be raged and for some reason it was awesome to see!  ^_^ Only the throne thing kept this from being a short journey.

If I have any complaint with the ender it is merely that Chrysalis did not choose the right thing at the end. I've been wanting her reformed since 2012 and I even wrote a story for it long before "reformation" even became a thing in the show. Hopefully, she'll get a shot in the future like most other characters did but I'm not going to be super hopeful since it took so long just to get this. Chrysy love. <3

• Brohoof 3

If I have any complaint with the ender it is merely that Chrysalis did not choose the right thing at the end. I've been wanting her reformed since 2012 and I even wrote a story for it long before "reformation" even became a thing in the show. Hopefully, she'll get a shot in the future like most other characters did but I'm not going to be super hopeful since it took so long just to get this. Chrysy love. <3

I'm sure they'll reform Chrysalis eventually, I mean, they still have to show how she looks in her "reformed" version. I bet she will look amazing, But I'm glad they didn't do this now, there's still a lot of potential for her character, and her character now mirrors Starlight at the end of the season 5 premiere.

===

I loved this episode the first time I watched it awhile ago. Looking forward to re-watch it later this weekend.

Edited by JH24
  • Brohoof 2

I loved these episodes! Finally after over 4.5 years we get some Chrysy again! (That short shot in an earlier ep doesn't count :P )

There was just so much I loved in this ender. The fact that we got full on Starlight! A new crew with Starlight, Trixie, Discord, and Thorax. What a team! Kind of broken but that just made it even more entertaining. And Discord's fury at hearing Shy had been taken. I knew he would be raged and for some reason it was awesome to see!  ^_^ Only the throne thing kept this from being a short journey.

Pretty sure she will be, she did hesitate there. It was just far too much to take in at once - her plans foiled (again), the throne destroyed, Starlight instigating the evolution, the "traitor" winning... Yeah, would have been hard to believe her reformation at that point actually. But rejoice, this means more Chrysalis in the future :grin:

• Brohoof 3

I'm sure they'll reform Chrysalis eventually, I mean, they still have to show how she looks in her "reformed" version. I bet she'll look amazing, But I'm glad they didn't do this now, there's still a lot of potential for her character, and she mirrors Starlight at the end of the season 5 premiere.

===

I loved this episode first time I watched it awhile ago. Looking forward to re-watch it later this weekend.

I getcha. I really look forward to it too! I love her and always wanted her to enjoy a better life.  :kindness: It does make sense for her to feel how she does now. I hope for an S7 return.  :squee:

Best season finale ever. I can barely process and fathom everything That just happened in these episodes, so much payoff for longtime watchers- Starlight being front and center, Trixie, Discord, Thorax and the return of the rest of the changelings including Chrysalis ERMAHGERD :blink:

I know right?!  :pinkie: I fell like I'm not even expressing how awesome it was! And Starlight trying to destroy the throne with a rock was amazing.  :icwudt:

I'm serious though. Starlight was reduced to no power without her magic. But her real power was her strength of character. She would fight with a rock or her bare hooves for her friends if she had to. She's definitely the kind of character I love to love. And admire.  :squee:

• Brohoof 2

For Thorax, he was influenced by several good characters:

According to his backstory, he was there at the Canterlot Wedding where he saw the Mane 6 working together to defend their city. The Mane 6 unknowingly made him realized that he didn't want to steal love, he wanted to share it!

Spike was his first real friend, who even risked his status of a hero to stand by Thorax's side.

And finally when Chrysalis tried to steal his love and he tried to resist, it was Starlight Glimmer who revealed that Thorax should give the love and show the Changelings that love can be much stronger when given rather than taken.

Edited by WiiGuy2014
  • Brohoof 5

Oh I loved this episode I mean discord,trixie,and thorax although I was hoping they would use some townsponies so we would have another set of six...Now excuse me while I scrape the rainbow puke from the "Pwetty changlings" off my recliner... Someone please tell me they aren't keeping pastel changlings..at least Luna was ok in this episode (I'm normally not a Luna fan but that was Ok).. *sigh* this would have been the perfect episode to switch into a new "mane" cast (yes I'm one of those people) but that ever ;) sorry for the rant...

Oh I loved this episode I mean discord,trixie,and thorax although I was hoping they would use some townsponies so we would have another set of six...Now excuse me while I scrape the rainbow puke from the "Pwetty changlings" off my recliner... Someone please tell me they aren't keeping pastel changlings..at least Luna was ok in this episode (I'm normally not a Luna fan but that was Ok).. *sigh* this would have been the perfect episode to switch into a new "mane" cast (yes I'm one of those people) but that ever ;) sorry for the rant...

Rant away, we're pretty much all here for that (and to show our love for this show) ;)

• Brohoof 1

So back in Times are a Changeling I recall posting something along the lines of "no wait don't get up in arms yet, one reformed changeling does not mean all will be reformed."

Welp.

Aside from the problem of 'only pretty things can be good' (thanks a lot Disney -.-) and the rush of their reform, I did enjoy their new designs, aside from Thorax. Thorax resembles the rainbow forms in the fact that they just threw way too much together with way too many colors. He kind of reminds me of the pokemon Chickorita/Bayleaf (Chickorita for the neck, Bayleaf for the shape and size).

sig-4707309.250px-153Bayleef.png

Behold! The new lord of the changelings.

As far as the overall finale goes, the characterizations were a lot of fun and this really did a lot to flesh out the world. I loved seeing Starlight deal with her past and her current worries - that's something I've loved about Sunset and its nice to see it again. Especially when they have different situations. Sunset turned into a she-demon but was still stuck at the same place she tried to destroy and had to deal with their glares and hate head on. Starlight was able to leave and be away from the place where she caused misery (though as we see they weren't all that miserable - I mean, they basically ask her to take over and do all the festival planning for them, so to some degree it seems they really liked having someone like her around, though that could be that they're still recovering from their situation and don't know what to do as they have to be independent now).

The mix of characters we got was definitely different. Twilight had better watch out since it seems Discord has made a new friend with Trixie. Pigs are gonna fly guys. Though if this is anything like his friendship with Spike and Big Mac it's probably just a passing "I'm ok with your presence" sort of friendship, vs a "I must go and destroy the changelings for kidnapping you!" Since we know he doesn't particularly dislike the princesses anymore, but he did seem entirely uninterested in a rescue until he heard Fluttershy was captured.

And! There's something extra important about this finale - we had strong male characters being strong, and more than just an accessory for the ladies (sorry Shining Armor but lbr here, your most important role so far has been winning the gold medal in the princess javelin competition). I know that's been a sticking point for a lot of people. I admittedly didn't entirely notice it until just this year - I'm a girl who grew up watching male-heavy shows where girls were almost always an accessory, so seeing a show compensating for all of that by having a super female cast has always been great to witness. But it has gone out of its way, especially as of late, to be...well, lets just say problematic (*cough*ZephyrBreeze*cough*SkyStinger). And as I already mentioned even our royal captain of the guard has pretty much only existed as an accessory to his princesses - He was half of Cadence's love magic, he threw Cadence so that she could help the Crystal Ponies, and he fathered an alicorn. That's what he's done in the show. Granted Cadence herself isn't much better (aside from being the female half of that list, she's also been pampered to the point where she has lost her stamina when flying). And...there's Spike? And a plethora of background boys, but that's no help. 

But now we have a male ruler that isn't evil (take that Sombra!). AND he managed to turn an entire very starving and angry kingdom into yet another love hub for Equestria. Or wherever their kingdom is actually located. While Starlight was the official/unofficial leader of the ragtag band, Thorax was the one who saved the day - and they all did it together and all that lovey mushy stuff. We do need strong male characters that exemplify how great men can work together with great women. Basically, to show how we really can all be equal. And that isn't to say cut down on or take away from the strong ladies (though...Celestia, come on dearie stop getting kidnapped or we'll have to change your name to Princess Peach). Just...you know, maybe not all your prominent males have to be either subservient or jerkfaces.

All hail King Thorax!

Side note - how did I not realize until today that Starlight was voiced by Sango/Barbie?

Best part of the finale: Trixie and Discord's relationship. As I said, Twilight needs to watch out because those two hanging out might just be the end of her sanity.

Worst part: Wut no song? D: Way to break tradition guys. I was looking forward to the finale song.

Edit: After glancing some other comments I did have a little bit to add here - while the songs of both the last two seasons' finales seemed shoe-horned and I have no doubt adding one to this finale would have felt the same way, the songs themselves have become favorites of mine (all three are in the top ten from the entire show for me). Mostly what I was hoping for was another song to put on repeat for the next six months. #soselfish 

Edited by vanillapudding
  • Brohoof 8

But I love pastel and Easter changelings! EXD  :squee:

I getcha on those characters though. I really wanted to see the Four from Starlight's old town team up with her.  :ooh:  Oh well, at least we got to see them again. I wasn't expecting that.  :fluttershy:

Pretty sure she will be, she did hesitate there. It was just far too much to take in at once - her plans foiled (again), the throne destroyed, Starlight instigating the evolution, the "traitor" winning... Yeah, would have been hard to believe her reformation at that point actually. But rejoice, this means more Chrysalis in the future :grin:

YAY~!  :pinkie:

And yeah, makes sense to work up to it. More Chrysy for us!  ^_^

For Thorax, he was influenced by several good characters:

According to his backstory, he was there at the Canterlot Wedding where he saw the Mane 6 working together to defend their city. The Mane 6 unknowingly made him realized that he didn't want to steal love, he wanted to share it!

Spike was his first real friend, who even risked his status of a hero to stand by Thorax's side.

And finally when Chrysalis tried to steal his love and he tried to resist, it was Starlight Glimmer who revealed that Thorax should give the love and show the Changelings that love can be much stronger when given rather than taken.

All this because Twilight made some friends in Ponyville.  :D Thorax is one lucky changey to have such good influences. Starlight's idea at the end was pretty genius. Let the love flow!  :love:

• Brohoof 1

I consider this is the best season finale with changelings are reformed with colorful and spotless as a "redemption"! Thorax is now a friendly changeling since in the episode named "The Times They Are A Changeling", and with Trixie is now best friends with Starlight Glimmer since in the episode "No Second Prances". Oh, and Discord show up too to investigate!  :D  :love:

My evidence in the first part: the changelings tricked the Mane 6 in disguise and they aren't real.  :o

I suppose this season finale was supposed to have at least one song (at the ending part) like the other season finales of ponies have one or more songs!

I (considerably) know that Thorax is now the new leader of the changelings. Back in Starlight Glimmer's old village called "Our Town", they're now friendly and in good act without having that nightmare.  :)

• Brohoof 1

I consider this is the best season finale with changelings are reformed with colorful and spotless as a "redemption"! Thorax is now a friendly changeling since in the episode named "The Times They Are A Changeling", and with Trixie is now best friends with Starlight Glimmer since in the episode "No Second Prances". Oh, and Discord show up too to investigate!  :D  :love:

My evidence in the first part: the changelings tricked the Mane 6 in disguise and they aren't real.  :o

I suppose this season finale was supposed to have at least one song (at the ending part) like the other season finales of ponies have one or more songs!

I (considerably) know that Thorax is now the new leader of the changelings. Back in Starlight Glimmer's old village called "Our Town", they're now friendly and in good act without having that nightmare.  :)

Even without an amazing song I consider this the best too! I mean...Easter changelings! <3

Glimmy was a real hero too.  ^_^

Oh I just thought of something! They took spike! They actually thought to take spike! Think about it any other time spike would have vanished and not be seen for the rest of the episode..I am a tad bummed about the lack of evil singing...I mean if you go on my iTunes I have 4 remixes of this day aria ,this day aria,and a instrumental remix of it...

• Brohoof 3

SPOILER ALERT! I saw the finale as part of the leak and LOVED IT! I decided to wait to write my little review until it aired today though. I loved the entire set up of this episode. It ties season 6 together beautifully and explains why Starlight was featured in the "Times Are A Changeling" episode. Starlight's conflict was in interesting and relatable and they found a beautiful way of bringing Luna and her abilities into the plot,especially when Luna tells Starlight to get help. I still think Starlight has severe anxiety disorder or something. I loved how they made use of all the side characters as Discord himself pointed out and it was great that all 4 characters were also reformed villains. This plot point of them being reformed villains works best when Starlight talks to queen Cystalis about leadership because this is something Starlight herself knows painfully well. The scene with Discord and the Changeling Fluttershys was beautifully executed. Talk about emotional blackmail and intense guilt. The best part was how Discord was onto them. The way Thorax took on Starlight's form was brilliant. As some of you pointed out Thorax is a main male character along with Discord helping to save the day and it's nice to see a mix of both male and female energy in the rescue party because it keeps things fresh. Trixie was also a really supportive friend to Starlight. On the subject of friendship I love how Starlight knew that the mane 6 were not acting like themselves and how that tied in with the "Every Little Thing She Does" episode where she spent alone time with each pony. Some reviewers have said the Changelings reforming was too fast and I agree it was fast but if Changelings are supposed to be based on bugs it makes sense since bugs usually have quick transfers of power and follow whoever is in power quickly. I like the new Changeling design. It looks like MLP fan art I saw once. I guess my only gripe would be I wish we had a few more Starlight episodes to build up to the finale like an episode where she meets Discord because she obviously knows him in this episode and it would have been cool to see more of how the Changelings plan worked like how they overpowered so many ponies but the writers may have chosen not to show that to focus more on Starlight and at the end of the day I think focusing on Starlight was the better choice. I just have one question, would the ponies in the green changeling pods eventually starve to death in those pods if not rescued??? 

All in all I think season 6 was a great season. I don't know why some bronies were saying it was the worst season. Yes I admit there were some "dud" i.e "meh" episodes but the map episodes and the 2 CMC episodes that dealt with their new cutie marks and the Starlight episodes in addition to most of the mane 6 episodes are in my "good" category. Now we await season 7 and in the meantime "Equestria Girls Legend Of Everfree" will air on November 5 2016.  

• Brohoof 3

It's nice to see the mane 6 being saved for once although how they and the royal ponies got captured is beyond me.

Also is it possible that there are other changeling colonies beyond Equestria and Chrysalis is the queen of her own colony?

And I'm sure that the changelings away impersonating whoever are still loyal to Chrysalis.

Plus your Thorax has evolved into a Butterfly-Deer thing.

• Brohoof 4