Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Romero Zombies vs Dan O'Bannon Zombies(Return of the Living Dead)

SunsetBaconDrive

I just recently got Return of the Living Dead 30th Anniversary blu ray on sale. After all these years, its still my all time favorite zombie movie(Night of the Living Dead is my second). I feel like this 1984 classic is what created 'the modern zombie'. It started the brain eating trope, the zombies actually run, zombies possess a level of resourceful intelligence, the makeup still kicks ass(get out of here Walking Dead) 

I am by no means dissing on Romero, but he wasn't the "creator" of zombies like people think he is. He definitely launched zombies as their own genre in the late 60s and early 70s, but zombies have been around for thousands of years from various ancient cultures. I think Dawn of the Dead 1978 is only a tad bit overrated, Day of the Dead is criminally underrated. Zack Snyder's best movie was the Dawn of the Dead remake. So I don't hate the Romero movies, I just think Return of the Dead deserves more credit. 

I love Return as well, it's definitely got a cool campiness that's also gross and creepy as hell. I remember that one giving me plenty of nightmares as well as a kid, more so than Night of the Living Dead did - that one was more about appreciating performances than the horror of it all - for me at least.

I really like the Dawn of the Dead remake and didn't even realize that was Zack Snyder until you just mentioned it.

I enjoy the slow moving zombie, and one of its biggest benefits have brought up the incredible Walking Dead.

• Brohoof 1