Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler This day has been just perfect the kind of day in which I dreamed while...

cider float

"This day has been just perfect the kind of day in which I dreamed while I was small."

~Queen Chrysalis

This part of the song has always had me wondering what her backstory was. Since the finale featured her I thought it was perfect to talk about her in more detail. Chrysalis seemed to have a lot of ambition to take over Canterlot and the ponies. Could there have been some kind of story where she got this ambition?

Well...this brings up my theory in changelings. You see, every since I saw Thorax, I thought, "There must be a spec of goodness in every changeling, but some just don't want to bring it out." That is the case for Chrysalis. Because her heart is full of hate and selfishness, she cannot bring out the good in her. All she's yearning for is domination. When she feeds off of love, she actually turns it into hate. Chrysalis had a chance to become what Throax became in The Times, They are a Changeling episode, where his wings were crystalized because he was already satisfied and didn't need to feed off of love. 

Maybe Chrysalis was rejected as a young one, and caused her to snap. Maybe she was nice like Thorax, but snapped because she wasn't being loved, and vowed to rule over the changelings and dominate whomever she could to show that love is weak and hate is strong...

My own theory is that she may be a descendant of a (prior) Changeling ruler or a creation of another entity who was hateful and selfish herself/himself and taught Chrysalis to be just like them; someone who believes being friends with anyone is going to ruin them and that the only way to a good life is through hostility and power-hungry ambition.

Yeah, in the comics she's shown as simply being born evil, but I don't follow the comic canon much and I personally think the Changeling Queen does have ancestors that were probably a lot like she is right now :)