Register now to remove this ad.
Red Cedar

[Saddle Arabia] I've Been Through The Desert

46 posts in this topic

The Great and Powerful Trixie

sig-4711109.trixie__trotting_by_yamino-d

@@Red Cedar

Trixie nodded while she listened; never really considering that. Of course she knew next to nothing about agriculture or what it took to build a city, but it still awed her. "I never knew that. Of course I grew up in Canterlot and never considered what it took to build such a kingdom on the side of a mountain, so...yeah. I've experienced my own breed of hard work, but...physical labor like that, I can't even imagine."

"Wow Applejack...I never knew," she said; her memories of insulting Applejack for her farming heritage now bringing in a pang of guilt. "So...your family basically jump-started the foundations for Ponyville? I...never realized just how deep your family is engrained in that town. I always thought of you as nothing more than a county bumpkin...now I see I was wrong..." Trixie signed, looking down towards the ground, resting her head against a steel beam.

rWUdzLw.png

Applejack peered over at Trixie as she looked down at the floor. Was that a note of remorse in her voice? It was hard to tell, as Applejack never thought she would have heard the like of it. Would wonders never cease.

Trying to build a little more on the conversation she had available, though, she decided not to call attention to it. "Well, I don't know if 'jump-start' is the best way to put it. My great-grandparents and my Granny were just the first ones there. Takes more than one family to build a town and they had too much to do to invite anyone else, but others came and made their own lives there, and then there was a town."

And then there was the "country bumpkin" label again. Well, maybe farmers like her were a bit too alike sometimes, but that wasn't a bad thing, neither. "And, we're still doin' the same thing they did all those years ago. Just now, we got all our friends and neighbours to support us a lot closer than before, and we can do likewise. As for Canterlot, well, I heard Twilight tell how that town was founded by unicorns, so I reckon a lot of magic helped build that place."

@@Red Cedar

"Just how long has your family been in Ponyville? I mean how old were your great-grandparents when they settled? I admittedly know next to nothing of Ponyville's history," she said with a hint of embarrassment, and a little shame considering her history with the alicorn amulet. "It might do me some good to learn more of the town."

Trixie sighed; laying her head against one of the beams, closing her eyes as the willow took effect gradually. Inhaling and exhaling she opened her eyes then looked at Applejack. "I'm sorry for everything I said in the past...I know I can make any excuse...but truthfully, there are none. Even when I tried to make amends with Twilight and others, I still chose to look down on your. Your family is something, and where they are now from so long ago...it's amazing."

Sighing again, she smiled, determined to not turn this into a party of pity. "Twilight might be right, though supposedly Celestia had a strong say in that as well, considering it's location on a mountain over the remains of some old crystal mines. I can't even imagine the power it took just to even start."

rWUdzLw.png

Applejack thought back to the stories she'd heard her grandmother tell. "Well, Granny was about my age when they first settled there, maybe a bit younger, and the farm's been there ever since, so it's been a long time." She smirked a little as she remembered. "My Granny's fond of Twilight 'n' all, but she likes to joke about how in her day Equestria only had one Princess!"

What came next, however, caught Applejack off guard. It took her a moment of turning it over in her mind to fully process it, but no, there it was. an honest-to-goodness apology, from the pony she least expected to hear one from. It left her sitting, silent, for a long moment afterwards, even after Trixie had mused on Canterlot's construction. It certainly made a difference in how she was expecting this wait to go, rather than devolving into a war of words over a hundred and seventeen bits worth of ruined apples.

When she finally found her voice again, Applejack took a deep breath and said, "Well, look, I'm sorry, too. I know I was pretty hard on you after everything and, well, I guess I let my temper get the better of me again." She leaned back against a bulkhead, looking to Trixie, wondering how that would be received.

@@Red Cedar

Trixie wasn't surprised by Applejack's apology; though in the end it wasn't needed. Sighing, she took a moment to think of a proper response. "You don't have to apologize Applejack. I know you were rough with me, but in the end...I deserved it. I first arrived at Ponyville thinking I was on top of the world; that I was everything. I put you and your friends down; humiliating you in front of the whole town. And worse after Twilight put me in my place...I only had revenge on my mind," she said; recalling how the alicorn amulet took advantage of that feeling and controlling her from it.

"While I have tried to better myself I know you in particular I was less than kind to. As I said I don't blame you for how you felt because in the end...it was my fault." Once again sighing she looked away from Applejack; again feeling shame from her past deeds.

rWUdzLw.png

Once again, Applejack was at a loss for words. The pony in front of her now sounded nothing like the overconfident "Great and Powerful Trixie" she had known. In fact, she almost sounded like a pony whose spirit was broken.

Still, regardless of her feelings on the past, she was still a pony who needed to keep her spirits up in order to get through what was likely to be a long wait, or at least seem like one.

"Well, shoot, I'm willing to let bygones be bygones here. Let's forget that and focus on getting through this." she said. After a moment, she leaned down to open the trunk of emergency supplies again. "Here, let's see what they left us for food in this thing. Uhm... dried apple... dried apricots... dried mangoes..." she smirked a little to herself. "Good thing they left us water, we'll need it to keep the food from drying us out. Oh... peanut butter crackers, too." she added, then looked up for her wayward saddlebags. "You know I have some un-dried apples and pears in my saddlebag, if you're interested."

@@Red Cedar

Trixie wanted to cry, but she couldn't. Not only was their situation dire, but it was also just too hot and even though her emotions were frayed, she just couldn't work up the tears. Still, she was ashamed enough that she couldn't look at Applejack for a moment until the farm pony spoke.

Trixie took a long sigh and turned her attention back to Applejack. ​"You're right; let's concentrate on getting through this, which we can," she said, trying to regain some composure. "At least there's something in here for us to survive on, and hopefully we don't run out before they come back." She took a moment to consider what she said. "I didn't mean that to be negative...but yeah, water is good! And yeah...I'd like that, I really would."

"Not before the peanut butter cracker; of course," she said with a chuckle.

rWUdzLw.png

Applejack smiled and hoofed over the peanut butter crackers to Trixie, before peering around the lopsided deck for her wayward saddlebags. Finding them in a corner, she sighed, and then slowly got to her hooves, wincing a little as she put weight on her left foreleg. In a slow, stubborn hobble, she made her way over, picked up her saddlebags in her teeth, and then limped back to sit down again heavily.

"Ugh. Hope that heals up before the rodeo." she said, trying to move her sore shoulder a little before opening up her bags, retrieving the much less dried apples and pears from them. "Here we go. Best eat 'em before the heat gets to them, anyway." she said, before taking one of the pears and taking a bite.

@@Red Cedar

Trixie nodded; opening the package holding the peanut butter crackers. ​"Good idea; best make use of what we have in the time we have it," she responded; making quick work of the first of the cracker. She sat down near Applejack; making sure to not put too much strain on her leg. "And I know what you mean there...I really hop my head recovers before my next show. It takes too much concentration to do one of those shows."

Sighing she ate another cracker; though eating this one slower so as to favor the taste. "Where is your next rodeo anyway?" She thought it was best to continue any sort of conversation; too much silence just might drive the both of them crazy.

rWUdzLw.png

Applejack licked her lips of pear juice, swallowing her mouthful of fruit before answering. "Dodge Junction," she said, after finding her voice again. "They're starting a new event there this year. I was hoping to be one of the first competitors," She took another bite of her pear, chewing thoughtfully for a moment before swallowing and continuing. "Thought it might have been nice to be a champion at one of the events in the first year, especially if it became a bigger event in the circuit." she added, before taking another roll of her shoulder, wincing once again as she tested her distinct lack of range of motion. "What about you? Where's your next show?"

@@Red Cedar

Trixie nodded while listening to Applejack. The thought of a rodeo never really appealed to her, but she also knew it was good to experience something different every once in a while. "I honestly never thought I'd ever say this, but I'd like to come and watch, if it's all right with you," she said; taking a bite of the third cracker, savoring the taste. ​"I've never been to a rodeo before, and I'm interested in learning something new. Who knows; it could give me some inspiration." She smiled genuinely; finishing the last cracker.

"My next show is in Baltimare; next to the inner harbor," she said; recalling the plans for that one. "I'm wanting to share some old stores around sea-ponies, and I'm planning on how to make it epic. It can be a bit of a pain to plan every little bit out, but the fans are worth it." She smiled; relaxing back a little.

rWUdzLw.png

Well, would wonders never cease? Applejack would never have guessed that Trixie would have been interested in anything she had had anything to do with. Amazing what an airship crash brings out in ponies.

"Well, all right then. I'll make sure y'all get a ticket," she said, leaning over a little to shift where she sat, then wincing, drawing in a breath between her teeth as she put a little too much weight on her sore shoulder. "If I make it there myself, that is." she added.

She listened to Trixie's description of her next show to be put on in Baltimare as she finished her pear. "Sounds good. Are y'all gonna be able to finish it on time, I mean," she waved her hoof a little in the air. "after all this? Be a shame if ya had to skip part of what you were planning."

@@Red Cedar

"Oh; you'll make it there Applejack. You're the toughest pony I know of, a little heat and sand won't stop you, neither will your injuries," she said; wincing at her own as she got up to walk around. The pain in her head was still there, but at least her leg was subsiding...a little, anyway. "Thanks though Applejack; I do appreciate it. I guess you have to make up your own routine before hand or do you just wing it?"

"Well, I should be able to make it. I have the rough ideas all ready sketched out and I am thankful my trailer was on the previous airship heading to Canterlot, so I should be fine. I just have to hope the pain in my head subsides by then." Considering it takes a lot of concentration to get her illusions to work she was legitimately concerned she would have to postpone that show.

rWUdzLw.png

For a moment, Applejack stopped cold. The hoof holding her pear fell to her lap and she just stared ahead a moment. As if remembering what she held, she lifted the pear up again and looked at it, eyes tracing its contours, nose inhaling its sweet scent.

Tough. As if. Guess that was what crying on the inside looked like to those who didn't know you all that well, not that she could blame Trixie for not knowing.

"I ain't tough," she said eventually, a slow, level tone in her voice. "Just stubborn, is all."

Another moment of silence passed before she took another deep breath and took a last large bite of the pear before putting the core back in her saddle bag. Even in the middle of the desert, she couldn't think of not putting the remnants somewhere where it would become some plant's good, nourishing compost, even if she were sitting in what was likely to become one of the biggest leftover pieces of garbage on the dunes. "Well, the lasso-twirling contest is where I can get a little creative, but it still helps to practice your routine before you get out there. The other events are just speed, strength, skill and sometimes teamwork." She watched as Trixie tried to walk off her own injuries, wondering if that was such a good idea with a bump to the head the size of the one Trixie was sporting. "Well, when we get back we'd best both be getting to hospital, and just see how long it'll be before we can do anything strenuous."

@@Red Cedar

Trixie blinked; the words that just came out of Applejack's mouth his her like a wall of bricks. She was executing maybe a chuckle or a thanks you, but no. There was a LOT more to this farm pony than she ever would've realized...and she felt like she could relate in a sense. Taking a breath in and letting it back out Trixie remained silent; putting the wrapping for the peanut butter crackers away, making sure not to leave trash.

"I see...well, no one's perfect...I know that well enough these days,"  she said; staring at the sands. "We're all stubborn to an extent. I never realized it myself, but I was stubborn too...still am; really." She let out a light chuckle; before going silent again.

Listening to Applejack describe the competition a little she nodded; gaining a little interest as she appreciated creativity; though the other events didn't interest her...at least for now. "Yeah, true. Best to get our injuries looked at as soon as we can. Hopefully they aren't too serious..."

rWUdzLw.png

@PathfinderCS

Applejack nodded, peering out again at the dunes beyond the hole in the airship's hull. It was hard to tell whether or not time was passing at all, really, at least so far, but she imagined sooner or later she'd notice it getting dark. She just wasn't feeling adventurous enough to go and check where the sun was with that limp in her leg. In a way, as rough a start as the trip had had, she was glad Trixie was actually here. She didn't like to think how she'd have fared without another pony to talk to, any pony at all.

Turning back to Trixie as another though came to her, she asked, "So, just how many shows do you do in a year, anyway? Are you on the road the whole year, or do y'all quit travellin' in the winter and go home for Hearth's Warming?" A second later, another thought came to her. "Where is your home, anyway?" Surely Trixie had something more than just her trailer.

Edited by Red Cedar

trixie__trotting_by_yamino-d3f5tk0.gif

@Red Cedar

Trixie sighed to her self; looking up through the debris at the clear blue sky. On an normal occasion this would be a comfortably beautiful day. Right now; it was an unrelenting wave of heat coming down on a desolate area with next to no life to be found. And the heat...thankfully they had some shade due to the wreckage, but she hoped it didn't get hotter. Maybe it will be cooler during the night...

"Honestly I do as many shows as I can," she said; recalling. "I have to book the shows months if not years in advance and I need to money to sustain myself. Right now; I'd say I have done about...40+ shows right now. It has been one of my busier years; especially with travel to the Crystal Empire taken into account. As you might guess from that I am on the road a LOT; though I do try to stay a few days at whatever city or town I am in; I do need to recuperate. As for winter...well; again, it depends on the schedule. There are some winters I do get to go home; others I don't, especially if I have a Heart's Warming performance."

She said; thinking back to home. Man; she wondered just how comfy that bed was feeling now. "And yeah; I was born and raised in Canterlot. My family still lives there, and I drop in when I can," she said with a smile. "What about you? I mean I don't you're busy on your farm a LOT; how do you fit your rodeos in during that time? Do your siblings take some responsibility?"

rWUdzLw.png

@PathfinderCS

Applejack nodded. "Yeah, the farm's a ton of work, all right," she said. "So I don't do a lot of rodeos. Two or three a year at most. Wouldn't be fair to leave Big Mac and Apple Bloom all the work for longer'n that." Her mind wandered back to the farm, thinking of her Granny and siblings, hoping they didn't get word of this airship crash before she could let them know she was all right.

"Still, that's a lot of traveling you do. Don't you miss your family? I think I'd go nuts with loneliness if I was away from mine for that long. As it is, I was really hoping to get back quick when I got on this flight." Of course, that was before disaster struck. So much for a quick trip home.

@Red Cedar

Trixie nodded; not surprised by what she was told. "Well you can only do what you can do," she said; looking through the opening in the debris around them. Still, all she could see was just desolate wasteland for what looked to be miles upon miles. She still hoped that the others would be back soon; she couldn't imagine AJ and herself lasting long out there. "I've never really been around your brother or sister that much...well...aside from that one unfortunate incident..ahem...what are they like?" She then thought of her own little siblings; sighing a bit. It had been years since she last really stayed with them for a long amount of time, but she could recount playing with them and telling them stories she would make up.

"Do I miss my family," she asked herself. It's a question she never really thought of a whole lot; considering how much she enjoyed being on the road and entertaining a crowd. Still; she held fond memories of her mother telling her stories that she would share or add to for her siblings. "Honestly Applejack...that is hard for me to answer. Ever since I left Canterlot for the life of a traveling entertainer...loneliness is something that comes natural to you. I mean yeah; there are ponies who love yah...and cheer for yah...but they don't replace family or friends. Do I miss my family? Well...yes, I do...though I honestly don't show it. I've been alone for a number of years so I am used to it, but I do really enjoy my time with my family when I can meet with them." It was then the thought hit her. What if...they were never to reach home again? How would her family react? A slight tear formed in the corner of her eye. "I really do need to spend more time with them......"

rWUdzLw.png

@PathfinderCS

Applejack smirked. She had never really though about how difficult it could be to sum up her brother and sister in just a few words, but then, she never thought she'd have to, either. They were who they were and she knew them well and loved them for it. Still, she grew quiet and thoughtful for a moment. "Well, Big Macintosh, on the outside, he's the strong silent type, but don't let that fool you. Inside his mind is working every moment, turnin' every little thing over in his head, over and over. Sometimes it's problems with the farm, sometimes it's just life in general, but he's always thinkin'. He probably woulda gone to one of those big fancy universities somewhere if he weren't needed so bad on the farm." Applejack paused again, as though that thought had brought up something else, then continued, "One thing's for sure, when he does speak, I've learned to listen up!"

Applejack smiled as she continued, "Now, Apple Bloom, she's something else. Twice as stubborn as any member of the Apple Family you care to name, bold as brass and tough as nails. When she puts her mind to something, she's gonna do it, believe it. Where she gets her energy from I couldn't say but she's got it in spades!" Applejack snickered, almost in spite of herself, as though remembering something, then added, "She finally got her cutie mark, too! She'd been on about getting that for ages, it seemed like. I didn't know whether to be proud she an' her friends got 'em, or relieved that they weren't gonna be trying any crazy stunts to find it any more!"

Applejack watched Trixie muse about her own family and life on the road, and said gently, "Well, when all this is over maybe y'all ought to schedule a good long visit with them. You'll never regret spending more time with your family, I reckon."

@Red Cedar

Trixie didn't notice it at first, but she found herself smiling as she listened to Applejack describe her siblings. In a way she was surprised to hear such adoration and love for them; never really growing up or spending that much time around them the past hew years. That said, she wasn't surprised either for they are her family, whom she spent years with. She could only wonder what that would be like; to live and grow with your family. Sure; she was raised by her parents, but it felt like she was on the road for more years than she was with her family.

"Your brother and sister sound really interesting Applejack; Applibloom especially. She reminds me of me, in a sense, the way you describe her. With that determination I'm sure she will grow up to be a great pony, and with you and the family with her, she hopefully won't make the same mistakes I did," she said with a slight chuckle. "Your brother sounds amazing as well. I hope to meet both of them someday." 

Trixie took a moment to think over what Applejack said in regards to her own family. "You're right...I should do that. For all they did for me...and for the time I've been away from them...it would do me...and them some good, I think," she said with a smile. "Maybe we could visit Ponyville as a family. I don't even think they've ever left Canterlot." She chuckled after that remark.