Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would You Rather Have Season Ending Cliffhangers?

Darthy Hooves

24 users have voted

1. 1. Would You Rather MLP Seasons End With A Cliffhanger?

• Yes, I Want MLP To End The Season With A Cliffhanger!
    • No, I Like the Way MLP Finshes Each Season!
    • Whatever, I Don't Care How The Season Ends!

So do you like the way MLP ends each season, or would you rather see the season finish with a cliffhanger, that concludes in the first show of the next season? I would prefer a cliffhanger as it gives us all something to look forward to and discuss when the next season begins!

On the one hand, that would give us something specific to look forward to for next season, but on the other hand...

THE WAIT BETWEEN SEASONS IS BAD ENOUGH I DONT NEED CLIFFHANGERS MAKING IT WORSE!!!!!

• Brohoof 1

So do you like the way MLP ends each season, or would you rather see the season finish with a cliffhanger, that concludes in the first show of the next season? I would prefer a cliffhanger as it gives us all something to look forward to and discuss when the next season begins!

The thing is, in order for us to have a cliffhanger, we'd need FAR more intricate ongoing plotlines than they currently have. As things stand, the most intricate and ongoing/interwoven plotline in the series has been the Keys/box plotline in Season 4 (Or the Grand galloping gala, though that was less "heavy" of a plot). Since then, the ongoing plots have had very little momentum during a season; apart from a couple cameos from glimmer, her return wasn't utilized or featured during S5 for example, and Thorax's episode in S6 was the only buildup to the S6 finale.

I'd be happy to have cliffhangers, but that would most probably neccessitate a shift in the show to more focus on "big" events and adventure than Slice of life to work.

On the one hand, that would give us something specific to look forward to for next season, but on the other hand...

THE WAIT BETWEEN SEASONS IS BAD ENOUGH I DONT NEED CLIFFHANGERS MAKING IT WORSE!!!!!

I think it would work well: Look at Equestria girls for example. One of the few GOOD things that it has outperformed FIM in is giving us Stingers and cliffhangers for future installments. Sci twi showing up at the end of Rainbow rocks for example, or Magic pouring through the dimensions at the end of Legend of everfree.

And I don't think the wait for the next EQG installments is worse, in fact its BETTER because I have something to look forward to and theorize about.

I'd LOVE for them to have stuff like that in FIM; for example, while I don't think that it was a great movie, LOE got me REALLY excited for the upcoming EQG stuff simply by virtue of building on its movie's events with a big hook for whats to come and with alot of potential due to the events of the movie.

Edited by Unlikeable Pony
  • Brohoof 4

The idea of having a season finale end with a cliff-hanger is something they should try at least once. It's not like they haven't had any experience doing this because they've done it in each of the Equestria Girls movies save for the first one. If they took what was done with those cliff-hangers and apply them to the show correctly, the chances of it succeeding are pretty good.

• Brohoof 5

The idea of having a season finale end with a cliff-hanger is something they should try at least once. It's not like they haven't had any experience doing this because they've done it in each of the Equestria Girls movies save for the first one. If they took what was done with those cliff-hangers and apply them to the show correctly, the chances of it succeeding are pretty good.

I agree with this.

I'd like them to try a cliffhanger once, just to change things up a bit.

• Brohoof 1

If it means the show transitioning more towards bigger plotlines and adventure, and away from slice of life, then I'm all down for it!!!  :squee:

I think that they should make cliffhangers, but only on some of the premieres and finales–not all of them. Like around 50% of the time.

The wait would be "harder," but to be honest, the season hiatuses have not been very difficult in the slightest for me. Whether the wait was 12 months or 4, I wouldn't really care. It will come either way, so the difference is null. Plus, I have so many other things to occupy myself in the summer. :3

But every time a season premiere or finale is approaching, I get super hyped up. A cliff-hanger would make it even more hyped up.

Edited by ElementalFluttershee
  • Brohoof 2

They can always put something in the end that sets up the plot of the next season like they've done with the EqG movies, but not a cliffhanger that doesn't solve the main conflict of the episode. If that happened I'd rather skip the episode and watch it when it's finished, and that's why I'm thankful Hasbro releases both parts of the season finales the same day and not in different weeks.

• Brohoof 1

No, I like to have a break of ponies between seasons. I don't think I can take whole months wondering what happens next, nor I think my brother will deal with me rambling about it for that long

I think they should try to do something like that. The problem with a lot of two-parters is that they try to tell an epic, high-stakes story that introduces a conflict and then immediately resolves it in just 45-minutes. Twilight's Kingdom and A Canterlot Wedding are my favorite two-parters to date (as well as 2 of my favorite episodes in the entire series) because they actually managed to tell gripping and exciting stories despite their time constraints. In comparison, The Crystal Empire is my least favorite because it tried to do way too much and was a cluttered, disappointing mess as a result. I think being able to spread out a story throughout multiple seasons would be awesome.

Yeah, waiting sucks, but at least it would guarantee something to look forward to (not to mention that the hiatuses have become a lot shorter lately).

• Brohoof 3

I'm personally indifferent towards whether they should have a cliffhanger or not, although I'm slightly leaning towards "no" and am about to explain why in my own words.

A cliffhanger at the end of the season can be definitely an interesting thing, but in all cases it should be used with care. Basically, if not done right, a cliffhanger may incite feelings such as frustration and disappointment instead of excitement, hype etc. among the many people that watch the show, especially if the next season starts months later or doesn't even exist. Speaking of which, another thing to consider is that there's always a possibility said season may end up being the last season, and as a result, a cliffhanger at the very end of the series will leave the plot and quite possibly other things unresolved, which I believe most people wouldn't want as they'd never truly find out what happens next and all. Sure, there are fanfics and such for that, but they're not official and I'm certain there are people out there who prefer official material (including myself).

On the other hand though, if the season finale cliffhanger is handled very well - and with absolute certainty the next season will come to be not too long after - it could be a good and refreshing thing that will get the audience cheering.

So in my opinion, doing a cliffhanger at the end of the season would be an interesting, yet risky move that could have not-so-great consequences if not done properly and/or at the right time, and that's why I'm mostly indifferent while also leaning towards "no".

• Brohoof 1

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but I made a topic that discussed this kind of thing years ago: Are Season Premieres meant to connect with Previous Season's Finales?

The short of it is that almost every season finale since Season 2 ties in some way to the premiere of next season:

What ties Season 2 and 3 together is Shining Armor and Princess Cadance's roles; introduced S2's wedding episode and become the new rulers of the restored Crystal Empire in S3

What ties Season 3 and 4 together is Twilight becoming a Princess and returning the Elements of Harmony to the Tree in S3 and S4, respectively 

What ties Season 4 and 5 together is the appearance of Twilight's new castle and the Cutie Map's role in guiding the Mane 6 to spread friendship.

What ties Season 5 and 6 together is the role of Starlight's foalhood friend, Sunburst; The separation of the two being revealed in S5 and the reunion many years later in S6.

Bonus note: Season 2 Premiere, (with the debut of Discord) was originally meant to be the Season 1 finale. This makes sense when you realize how all of Twilight's letters to the Princess in Season 1 were brought back to snap her back out of her discorded state.

Heck, each Finale since Season 3 has had a question of sorts waiting to be answered by next season premiere:

Season 3 ends with: What will happen with Twilight now that she's the Princess of Friendship?

Season 4 ends with a question : Why would the Tree of Harmony want the Mane 6 (and Spike) to sit in a castle in Ponyville? (This is brought up in S5 Premiere).

Season 5 ends with: What will happen now that Twilight has taken on a pupil of her own?

Season 6 ends with (Spoiler-covered for those who haven't seen it yet):

What will happen now that the Changelings have changed from stealing love to sharing love and Queen Chrysalis is on the run.

which I hope will be answered in Season 7 Premiere.

It seems the showrunners were already having cliffhangers of a sort since Season 2. So I think the original question of "Would you rather have season ending cliffhangers?" is kind of redundant and unneeded to be asked.

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but I made a topic that discussed this kind of thing years ago: Are Season Premieres meant to connect with Previous Season's Finales?

The short of it is that almost every season finale since Season 2 ties in some way to the premiere of next season:

What ties Season 2 and 3 together is Shining Armor and Princess Cadance's roles; introduced S2's wedding episode and become the new rulers of the restored Crystal Empire in S3

What ties Season 3 and 4 together is Twilight becoming a Princess and returning the Elements of Harmony to the Tree in S3 and S4, respectively 

What ties Season 4 and 5 together is the appearance of Twilight's new castle and the Cutie Map's role in guiding the Mane 6 to spread friendship.

What ties Season 5 and 6 together is the role of Starlight's foalhood friend, Sunburst; The separation of the two being revealed in S5 and the reunion many years later in S6.

Bonus note: Season 2 Premiere, (with the debut of Discord) was originally meant to be the Season 1 finale. This makes sense when you realize how all of Twilight's letters to the Princess in Season 1 were brought back to snap her back out of her discorded state.

Heck, each Finale since Season 3 has had a question of sorts waiting to be answered by next season premiere:

Season 3 ends with: What will happen with Twilight now that she's the Princess of Friendship?

Season 4 ends with a question : Why would the Tree of Harmony want the Mane 6 (and Spike) to sit in a castle in Ponyville? (This is brought up in S5 Premiere).

Season 5 ends with: What will happen now that Twilight has taken on a pupil of her own?

Season 6 ends with (Spoiler-covered for those who haven't seen it yet):

What will happen now that the Changelings have changed from stealing love to sharing love and Queen Chrysalis is on the run.

which I hope will be answered in Season 7 Premiere.

It seems the showrunners were already having cliffhangers of a sort since Season 2. So I think the original question of "Would you rather have season ending cliffhangers?" is kind of redundant and unneeded to be asked.

I think it's more like the way Beast Wars seasons one and two ended.

I always liked when a two parter be it a drama, sci-fi, or anime is split between two seasons, when you have to wait several months to find out what happens. These type of cliffhangers tend to increase interest, speculation, discussion, even drawing more people to the show. There's been times when I haven't watched a show during it's first run, but was drawn to watching because of others discussing the season ending cliffhanger, The Walking Dead being a good example. Though My Little Pony is nothing like The Walking Dead I still think it would be interesting to try a two parter split between seasons.

• Brohoof 1

No, I like that they wrap it up in the finale more or less.

I am all for leaving something on the table to make us ask questions and hopefully receive answers in a later season, but I would be kind of annoyed if they ended it on a heavy cliffhanger. Even more upset if the show suddenly ended and left everyone SOL on an official ending. I know that would be highly unlikely, but in the realm of Television anything is possible. So yeah I am happy with the way they write them now.

As far as the end of the season is concerned, I'm indifferent. I don't think the show has enough of a continuous storyline to support end-of-season cliffhangers, as they'd just be resolved in the subsequent premiere. A bit more serialisation would still be nice to see, but (perhaps because I liked season 6 so much) I don't think it's necessary as much as I did back during season 5. What I really would like to see is a little more continuity between episodes - like, more stuff like "Rarity Investigates!" where episodes appear to take place back-to-back, and moreover, I'd be really interested if the show could move two-parters to the middle of the season somehow, and take some pressure off the premiere and (especially) the finale. Maybe some kind of stunt where the episode right before the mid-season hiatus flows right into the episode right after. 

no, they should continue to wrap things up the way they have been doing it.  
canterlot wedding was pretty good in that it resolved the major conflict, but left the possibility of future changeling shenanigans open.

Isn't an end of season cliffhanger just a lazy way to get you to watch the next season?  

note that MLP could choose to put a week between 2-part episodes, and give us a one week cliffhanger...and they don't.

if they think one week is too long, why would they do 4 months?

Like, how does it improve your joy in the show if we get to see "where and back again part 1" and then have to wait months for part 2?  does anyone think that that is a good strategy?

If the wait between the seasons is too long for you, consider picking up the novels or comics.  its kinda like getting bonus episodes.  Gillian Berrow's books are full of puns and she tells you what the ponies are THINKING.  
The comics fullfill many wonderful pairings and interactions that we may never get in the show and come out regularly every month.

Edited by weesh