Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight and Rarity Snuggling

AstrumSpark

large.png

RariLight shipping picture I had in my mind for a long time. :)

Twilight and Rarity are my favorite ponies in the show, so my OTP is RariLight. :D

Original size picture can be found on my DeviantArt: Twilight-and-Rarity-Snuggling

------
Black-and-white Line-Art of the picture: http://sta.sh/0aj2513q0kj
------
I drew the original sketch two years ago. Here it is: http://sta.sh/013v38ur4lky

But I didn't have enough skill to quickly make a decent picture based on it. (I'm not a professional artist, and I rarely draw anything, so the whole process takes a lot more time than experienced artists would need.)

So, I was working on it gradually, perfecting the picture, until I felt I could upload and share it with everyone. :)

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

Thank you all! I'm happy to hear you liked it! :)

What program did you use to do this digital art?

I used Adobe Photoshop to draw the original sketch (linked in the main post), and then I used Adobe Illustrator for the lineart and colored final version. (Photoshop isn't that convenient when doing vector-based drawings, in comparison to Illustrator, but it's great for raster drawings).

Edited by AstrumSpark

I used Adobe Photoshop to draw the original sketch (linked in the main post), and then I used Adobe Illustrator for the lineart and colored final version. (Photoshop isn't that convenient when doing vector-based drawings, in comparison to Illustrator, but it's great for raster drawings).

Thanks! I have Adobe Photoshop, but it doesn't work very well for this kind of art. I'll have to try Adobe Illustrator. Thanks so much!

Regal Shadow

Oh, forgot to ask, how easy is it to use Adobe Illustrator to make this kind of art? Is it easy, or hard? I'm just wondering if I should get this program, or if there is a better one. Thanks!

Regal Shadow

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Thanks! I have Adobe Photoshop, but it doesn't work very well for this kind of art. I'll have to try Adobe Illustrator. Thanks so much!

You're welcome!

Well, both programs are hard to learn how to use, and I'm still at a beginner level. I google search a lot to do even simplest tasks.

Maybe Illustrator is even trickier than Photoshop. But yes, it exists purely for vector graphics, and Photoshop for raster graphics. You can load some raster picture into Illustrator though, to keep it on some layer, resize it and do vectors over it.

I'll just say that Illustrator allows to create everything in any color and line thickness, and then you can just edit any line color and filling of some area you vectored around, line thickness, add pointed ends with a Width Tool (or whatever it's called there).

It's still very tricky for me and takes a lot of time to get decent results, but it's definiltely a lot better than Photoshop for vector arts like this one, similar to the show style.

It allowed to fill areas with gradient colors, which helped to do Rarity's mane right, their eyes and their blushing.

But, yes, with google search for stuff about it and tips on how to do specific tasks in it, it's possible to use it.

Edited by AstrumSpark

You're welcome!

Well, both programs are hard to learn how to use, and I'm still at a beginner level. I google search a lot to do even simplest tasks.

Maybe Illustrator is even trickier than Photoshop. But yes, it exists purely for vector graphics, and Photoshop for raster graphics. You can load some raster picture into Illustrator though, to keep it on some layer, resize it and do vectors over it.

I'll just say that Illustrator allows to create everything in any color and line thickness, and then can just edit any line color and filling of some area you vectored around, line thickness, add pointed ends with a Width Tool (or whatever it's called there).

It's still very tricky for me and takes a lot of time to get decent results, but it's definiltely a lot better than Photoshop for vector arts like this one, similar to the show style.

It allowed to fill areas with gradient colors, which helped to do Rarity's mane right, their yes and their blushing.

But, yes, with google search for stuff about it and tips on how to do specific tasks in it, it's possible to use it.

Thank you so much for the help! You're amazing!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Oh, forgot to ask, how easy is it to use Adobe Illustrator to make this kind of art? Is it easy, or hard? I'm just wondering if I should get this program, or if there is a better one.

It's interesting, but I managed to answer your question above, before you updated your post to ask it. XD

I'll aslo add that there are free alternatives of Adobe stuff like this. You can try it first: GIMP

That one should do fine with both vectors and raster drawings.

I'm not sure how much it's convenient for vector art in comparison with Illustrator and if it's better than Photoshop for vectors, since I never tried using GIMP myself.

But, you should definitely take a look at it first, I think.

Edited by AstrumSpark

It's interesting, but I managed to answer your question above, before you updated your post to ask it. XD

I'll aslo add that there are free alternatives of Adobe stuff like this. You can try it first: GIMP

That one should do fine with both vectors and raster drawings.

I'm not sure how much it's convenient for vector art in comparison with Illustrator and if it's better than Photoshop for vectors, since I never tried using GIMP myself.

But, you should definitely take a look at it first, I think.

That is interesting. Thanks, and I will try GIMP. You're awesome!