Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are you a Borderline Brony?

VeroxVitrus

A borderline brony is something that I would relate to the most, someone who likes the show but doesn't go as to far as to expressing my love for the show in public. I might bring the show up in a chat but that's if I find a way to make a conversation by bringing the show into it. I'm not really that interested into walking up to people and forcing my opinion down their throats. It's pretty much the same principle for seeing show merch in public, I might bat an eye or glance at it for a split second but that's it for me, I have no intent of buying merchandise or interacting with anything MLP.

There are a lot of Brony cringe compilations on youtube which is the complete opposite of me, the bronies in those videos are more expressive which make them more of a target of ridicule, they might be more of a dedicated brony but i'm pretty sure most of them don't really care if they receive hate or not. Being completely honest, If you're going out in some suit with pegasus wings and a horn attached to your body and expect people not to notice or laugh you're quite delusional, either take the heat or don't do it at all. 

Conventions act like a safe space for people interested in the show, but I wouldn't say I would be interested into going to one. Like I stated, I have no interest in merchandise. If I did go to one it would be very boring for me, I would only be interested in meeting the guests. I wouldn't engage in a brony group chat, I hate talking to 5 people at once, I prefer to talk to 1 person instead of gangs. 

To summarize what a borderline brony is for me is it's a type of brony who loves the show and everything to it but avoids expressing their love for the show in public, not to be confused with a closet brony. I did state that I would talk about the show in public, just not express is as some fans would do. 

That does sound a lot like something I am. I think I could call myself a borderline brony, even though I've collected some merch around the years 2012-2014. But nowadays it's more or less just enjoying the show and sometimes sketching ponies that don't really end up published on my main art accounts. I don't own MLP-themed clothes or trinkets either so there aren't any visible signs of me liking the show. If one hasn't seen my shelf that ponies populate.

Even if I like discussing things related to MLP on various sites, I still don't bring up that interest outside of the internet. Maybe the certain anonymity online is the something that makes it feel more comfortable to talk about MLP more freely.

I'm pretty sure brony doesn't just apply to the super hyped up fans, it applies to any fan who enjoys the show and fandom and wants to call themself that. Also, it doesn't really sound like you avoid talking about the show, you just only bring it up when it's relevant, which is what "normal" people do. Avoiding it would be actively trying to never mention it.

Anyway, no I'm not "Borderline". I like talking about the show and buying the merch and things like that. I don't force it down people's throats because that would be annoying like anything else.

Edited by BasementGlimmer

While I can't say that I hate the fandom, I am a lot less impressed with it over these past 2 years than I was when I first entered it.

I don't strongly identify myself as a brony.

I mean you can call me one, and I won't really complain, but I don't actively go out of my way to say that I am one.