Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pegasi variants?

ManaMinori

Ok, so this has been bugging me for. While now. According to the IDW comic involving Chrysalis being imprisoned, there were a race of Sparkly-eyed Pegasus from the city of Timbuktu, along with the Cirrostratus pegasi with long rabbit-like ears and vertical likes under tgeir left eye, mentioned in the Daring Do and the Forbidden City of the clouds book.

Now, from what I know, there seem to be more variants of Pegasi than the other races. Anyone else kind of interested in seeing these other pegasi variants in the show?

Why do there seem to be more variants of Pegasi over the other races?

• Brohoof 1

More variants of ponies are always interesting. About the species thing? I think that there have always been more species of ponies but the pegasi are most likely the only ones left because pegasi can always fly off and escape more situations (wait that doesn't work for unicorns). IDK 

• Brohoof 1

Ok, so this has been bugging me for. While now. According to the IDW comic involving Chrysalis being imprisoned, there were a race of Sparkly-eyed Pegasus from the city of Timbuktu, along with the Cirrostratus pegasi with long rabbit-like ears and vertical likes under tgeir left eye, mentioned in the Daring Do and the Forbidden City of the clouds book.

Now, from what I know, there seem to be more variants of Pegasi than the other races. Anyone else kind of interested in seeing these other pegasi variants in the show?

I think it's about time we see new species but still explicitly ponies (unless the changelings new form are not considered ponies :huh:). We also got bat ponies, and soon the sea ponies in less than a year. We get stuck in the races we've seen since S1. Hay, I'd be content with something as simple as some alicorn lore expansion 

• Brohoof 1

Rabbit-eared pegusai?!!? Squee! That just sounds ADORABLE!!!

Guess that answers your first question!

But for your second, hmm...

Well, one could say that no one really cares enough about silly ol' bland, earth ponies enough to put enough effort into giving them long-lost civilizations, BUT one could argue that donkeys, cows, goats, yaks & zebras are all variants on the form.

There's a certain special brand of mystique to a race in your show that is already part of the "real world's" mythology. As the unicorns are already the elite, richer class and somehow linked to alicorn royalty and a city capitol all to themselves it is entirely possibly most writers assume they're already played out.

Whatayya gonna do with a forgotten race of unicorns anyway? Make them more intelligent & magical? Then we'd be getting into Kingdom of the Crystal Skull territory of unbelievability there!

Think why its been pegusai specifically these two examples, is because they're an agile, athletic, angelic & near fairy like race as it is. Fantastical enough to give credence to them being some forgotten race of magicalness but still as much of an animal to not give a reader too much whiplash.

Like if they were alicorns. Don't think you could mention alicorns without getting several thousand in the fandom's hackles raised! Though I would like to see the writers bite the bullet & introduce alicorn backstory that's basically just "Nah, just another race. Nothin' godlike at all. Y'all just hired Celly & Woona because ya thought they was pretty."

• Brohoof 1

Their ability to fly allows them to travel great distances and bypass geographical barriers than might hinder the other races.  It's not unrealistic to think that groups of Pegasi might have traveled far and isolated themselves from the rest of ponykind and undergone a sort of divergent evolution influenced by the different flora, fauna and possibly even different types of magical power that may be present in whatever area they have settled in.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 years later...

Well, you can't forget about batponies. Yes, they have hardly been shown in the show, but I'd say they still count as a variant of pegasi. They would be my second favorite variant of pegasi (just behind normal pegasi). I haven't read the book about the rabbit-eared pegasi, but I did read the comic with the Sparkle-eyed pegasi; they are cute!

I thing the reason pegasi have the most variants is due to the fact that they can fly. It's a simple, yet fascinating power that can be easily varied to create a variant. Plus, the writers may find earth ponies boring and unicorns overplayed. I mean, so much of the development and world building is based around unicorns; it's about time pegasi get some more attention from the show staff (sadly earth ponies were still left neglected). And you could technically consider the curved-horn unicorns a variant of unicorn.