Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How can anyone dislike Pinkie?

ManaMinori

(edited)

As a former Pinkie Pie fan, I find this interesting although obnoxious as frequent as possible.

I used to love Pinkie Pie between 2011 and 2013. To me, Pinkie Pie was someone who prepared parties and made sure everyone was happy. But since A friend in deed, she became someone else: A pony who wanted to be liked with aproval in mind at whatever cost. Then, when they made Too many Pinkie Pies, the character devolved into a very loud character with forced jokes and without getting out of the "comic relief" bubble. I think this quote from TV Tropes said it better:

[…] Pinkie was also originally written as a bit of a Cloudcuckoolander, often being airheaded and non-serious, but as the series progressed, these traits became more and more exaggerated, to the point where episodes often had her screeching at the top of her lungs and being completely wild and outrageous for no reason other than comic relief. Furthermore, episodes would occasionally bring the story to a complete halt, just to let Pinkie make a joke. This was most prominent in episodes that did not directly involve her in the story, such as “Filli Vanilli”.

Pinkie’s shenanigans were so constant that many episodes were written as excuses for her to go as insane as possible, like Simple Ways, Party Pooped and Yakity-Sax among others. I like it more when it’s a very rare occasion, like The Last Roundup. It was a very annoying trend that it was hard to deal with, mainly because back then, I only got two responses to that: "You're not a Pinkie Pie fan then" or "this is the character, it's a cartoon". But just because your character is a cartoon character doesn’t mean she has to be as loud as possible.

Probably my favourite example of how butchered Pinkie's personality was is in the first part of Cutie Map. In the beginning of that episode, Pinkie distrusted Starlight because there was something suspicious about her, that makes sense. However, at the end of the episode she jynxed Twilight’s plan by talking to the pony she distrusted the most in the whole episode. It doesn’t make sense and nobody bats an eye about this.

With all that said, I think she was great in the MLP film from 2017 and The Last Laugh. I didn't feel like I was watching an episode written by someone who needed to fill a check list of what a Pinkie Pie episode should have, it felt like a genuine story told in a good way. Considering how obnoxious she was for many seasons, The Last Laugh ended up being great.

So yeah, I think Pinkie Pie became a major annoyance in the show for many seasons. But hey, it could have been worse. I could have got a death threat for not liking this side of Pinkie Pie.

FpbbmsWWAAAjVXi?format=jpg&name=medium

FpbbmswWYAEsygY?format=jpg&name=large

Imagine sending a death treat to someone just because that person didn't like screams.

Edited by Ring Team
  • Brohoof 1