Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Batbrony

Hello @NCMares! I hope your welcome to our little forum was a warm one. ♥

Right, so, staff artist; gonna enjoy having an artist QA guest to pester ask things. :D

First off, I love your style, and I have to say, it really is quite distinctive and lively~♪

How would you describe your development and inspiration behind your unique style? Like, did you actively pursue the Fallout-related motif even in terms of style, or was it from another source (or something else entirely)?

Second, fairly vague, but what was the basic arc behind your rise to horse-fame and general recognition within the fandom?  :-P Any moment that you would peg as your "turning point" in that regard?

• Brohoof 4

Hey NC. I really love your art, especially you take on Octavia. But who are your favorite artists?

Thank you! I'm glad you like it. ^^ And I got way too many senpais to count, man. Shoot, where to even start you know? Assasin, Tsitra,Silfoe, Huussii, Underpable, Evehly, VIIStar, Greyscale, Nadner, Pencils, Miszasta, HeirofRick, CouchCrusader, LateCustomer, DawnFire, BobDude, Darkflame - seriously, we'll be here all night. ^^;

Hi NCMares! How long does it take you to produce an art piece now compared to when you started drawing ponies? I imagine it gets faster (easier?) after doing it for a while but by how much?

A pretty fair amount, depending on what I'm doing. Like, I draw a lot and like to preserve my lines by the end, you know? To that end I can knock out a singular character in about 4 hours, which is a lot faster than when I began, haha. Average then was at least 6 hours. When it comes to painting, though, I'm a total scrub. Some of those ones with Celestia and Luna took upwards of 15 hours. :P

@@NCMares 

I've a friend who is in the same boat about that, but's it's nice to hear that you are growing as an artist.

Oh, always man. We never, ever stop. :)

Hello @NCMares! I hope your welcome to our little forum was a warm one. ♥

Right, so, staff artist; gonna enjoy having an artist QA guest to pester ask things. :D

First off, I love your style, and I have to say, it really is quite distinctive and lively~♪

How would you describe your development and inspiration behind your unique style? Like, did you actively pursue the Fallout-related motif even in terms of style, or was it from another source (or something else entirely)?

Second, fairly vague, but what was the basic arc behind your rise to horse-fame and general recognition within the fandom?  :-P Any moment that you would peg as your "turning point" in that regard?

Thank you very much! Haha, I'm glad you like it. :) I started drawing because I really wanted to be a concept artist that drew all kinds of super cool monsters and weapons and stuff, you  know? I got rolling with ponies with that in mind - all gritty and badass. ^^ Over time I've shifted to both sides of the spectrum, but I'll still always love that dark, gritty stuff.

And then it's hard to say what was the 'turning point.' I've thought about it before, though, and I think that it was the first Sith Twilight that I drew for May the Fourth that put me on a lot of people's radar. Never Be Royals was another one, for sure, as was Night Mares. :)

• Brohoof 6

Haha, nice icon, too. ;) Best song has got to be Pinkie's Pie Sister Exchange Present whatchamacallit song from the Gift of Maud Pie. It's a masterpiece and really speaks to the heart, you know?

Thank you! Tis actually from the comics, so I can't take credit, really. ^^;;

And WOW; I plum forgot about that. That threw me for a loop for a second. :P

So, speaking of the IDW comics, have you followed or read them in any capacity?

• Brohoof 3

Thank you! Tis actually from the comics, so I can't take credit, really. ^^;;

And WOW; I plum forgot about that. That threw me for a loop for a second. :P

So, speaking of the IDW comics, have you followed or read them in any capacity?

They were coming out right as I joined the fandom, and I remember being so nervous about buying them from the university comic shop. I even went and bought a Superman comic so it didn't seem too weird, haha. I got a lot of the comics, but I more or less stopped picking them up at the Sombra arc. I tell you what, though, Andy Price's face-off piece between Chrysalis and Twilight in the fourth issue inspired the living crap out of me. I LOVE that image.

• Brohoof 4

@@NCMares, definitely think you've nailed down a good bit of the gritty, badarse feel in your art, haha. Awesome stuff! ;)

More questions, if you don't mind:

Do you have any major art projects on your "eventually get to it when I have the time to be ambitious" list?  :icwudt: 

Also, do you have a fondness for any non-traditional species or races in the MLP universe?

Like, batponies, deer, buffalo, breezies, seaponies, etc.

• Brohoof 2

@@NCMares, definitely think you've nailed down a good bit of the gritty, badarse feel in your art, haha. Awesome stuff! ;)

More questions, if you don't mind:

Do you have any major art projects on your "eventually get to it when I have the time to be ambitious" list?  :icwudt:

Also, do you have a fondness for any non-traditional species or races in the MLP universe?

Like, batponies, deer, buffalo, breezies, seaponies, etc.

One idea that I toss around every once in a while is that of a graphic novel or comic for Night Mares. I opted to roll with the fan-fic approach because I could really get into the mental aspects of the story which is really the entire point, but a comic or something would be pretty boss. We'll see, heh.

I never really considered the other species, I'll be honest. ^^; Ponies are still my favorite thing to draw, far and away!

One idea that I toss around every once in a while is that of a graphic novel or comic for Night Mares. I opted to roll with the fan-fic approach because I could really get into the mental aspects of the story which is really the entire point, but a comic or something would be pretty boss. We'll see, heh.

I never really considered the other species, I'll be honest. ^^; Ponies are still my favorite thing to draw, far and away!

CouchCrusader and HeirofRick, though - those two got the species-swap game on lockdown. :]

• Brohoof 3

OK, let's see... 

They were coming out right as I joined the fandom, and I remember being so nervous about buying them from the university comic shop.

Oh gosh, tell me about it, if I ever have to get something pony-related (like a frame or lamination for art pieces) I ALWAYS tell them it's for my little sister, lol.  ^_^

Also, speaking of your grittier style, I can't make any plans for this right now since I'm still job hunting but I would love to commission you at some point for a piece for my Batmare Begins fic with Derpy as Batmare.  I think the only time I've seen you so far draw any Batman-crossover was with drunk RD-Batmare, but that was silly rather than gritty, so I can imagine you'd love taking a shot at a serious MLP/Batman crossover pic (forgive if I'm wrong in misremembering whether you have or haven't done one yet).

Got any personal highlights or favorites of your own from Season 6?

• Brohoof 2

@@NCMares, I actually didn't know you wrote fanfiction until now. ♥ Will have to read through it at some point. :P Are you planning on continuing writing fanfiction beyond Night Mares?

Also, how does writing compare to drawing in terms of creative satisfaction (or just, fun in creating in general)?

I've wanted to take up both, but only really found enough motivation/drive for one. :wacko:

• Brohoof 3

I have serious insecurities about my own work

So what prompted you to actually post your work online? It's great, and was one of the catalysts that brought me in to the brony fandom (thanks for that), but that seems like a big step if you don't have a lot of confidence in your work. 

• Brohoof 3

OK, let's see... 

Oh gosh, tell me about it, if I ever have to get something pony-related (like a frame or lamination for art pieces) I ALWAYS tell them it's for my little sister, lol.  ^_^

Also, speaking of your grittier style, I can't make any plans for this right now since I'm still job hunting but I would love to commission you at some point for a piece for my Batmare Begins fic with Derpy as Batmare.  I think the only time I've seen you so far draw any Batman-crossover was with drunk RD-Batmare, but that was silly rather than gritty, so I can imagine you'd love taking a shot at a serious MLP/Batman crossover pic (forgive if I'm wrong in misremembering whether you have or haven't done one yet).

Got any personal highlights or favorites of your own from Season 6?

Eesh, I'm really not sure that I could do Batman justice, man! Seriously, he's the best!

It was really funny! I seriously walked around the 'new release' section for like a half hour just looking at the comic. I finally stepped forward when nobody was around and picked the thing up and flipped through. My heart felt like it was ready to pound out my chest, for real! I walked up to the register with the back cover facing outward so nobody knew what I had. They rung it up without a second thought, though! I emerged unscathed, and it got easier after that. :P

• Brohoof 3

@@NCMares, I actually didn't know you wrote fanfiction until now. ♥ Will have to read through it at some point. :P Are you planning on continuing writing fanfiction beyond Night Mares?

Also, how does writing compare to drawing in terms of creative satisfaction (or just, fun in creating in general)?

I've wanted to take up both, but only really found enough motivation/drive for one. :wacko:

The drawings came first, but tackling fiction was even more nerve-racking because I (still) get very scared of what people will think of the next chapter. It is a lot of fun, though, and I recommend it! I'm not sure if I'll continue with it beyond Night Mares, though. ^^; I just don't got nothing that I really want to write about, heh.

• Brohoof 3

You mentioned that you stopped picking up the comics at around the Sombra arc. I curious as to why. Was it because of the quality of the storytelling or you just didn't have the time and/or interest for them?

• Brohoof 4

So what prompted you to actually post your work online? It's great, and was one of the catalysts that brought me in to the brony fandom (thanks for that), but that seems like a big step if you don't have a lot of confidence in your work. 

Oh man, I'm honored. ;^; I had the deviantart already in place for a number of years, but I remember being really scared of putting my stuff out there in the beginning. I just wanted to have a place to put my stuff, though, and see what folks might think of it. I drew dragons a lot way back when. :3 After the first couple of works it got easier to post, though, but it definitely takes guts to take that first step, you know? Confidence is always important, though, and it is hard to find the value in your own work. I stuggled with hating my stuff for a few years before finally finding anything remotely resembling satisfaction in them. ^^; I powered through it, though! We all got to do it. :D

• Brohoof 5

Eesh, I'm really not sure that I could do Batman justice, man! Seriously, he's the best!

Goodness, after your Supermare pics???  Dude, you could TOTALLY nail a Batman-crossover pic, I'm sure!  I mean, granted, there's a little more variety in his look since he's had so many suits over the years, but I think all the same that you'd hit it out of the park.

Let's see... if I'm remembering correctly, was this year's BronyCon the first time you had a booth, or the first time you had a booth there?  Either way, how great was it (I'm asking this more for those who weren't there than myself since, well, that's where I met ya after all  :derp:)?

• Brohoof 2

Hello NC! Your artwork looks absolutely stunning, but on to my question!

What's your favorite episode of MLP and why? ;3

Thank you very much! Just one? Oh, geeze don't make me choose. D: I can tell you right now that I really really like Testing Testing 1,2,3 and the Saddle Row Review though. :)

Do you like beautiful, mouthwatering memes?  :diamondtiara:

Only if they are of the dank variety.

Goodness, after your Supermare pics???  Dude, you could TOTALLY nail a Batman-crossover pic, I'm sure!  I mean, granted, there's a little more variety in his look since he's had so many suits over the years, but I think all the same that you'd hit it out of the park.

Let's see... if I'm remembering correctly, was this year's BronyCon the first time you had a booth, or the first time you had a booth there?  Either way, how great was it (I'm asking this more for those who weren't there than myself since, well, that's where I met ya after all  :derp:)?

Thanks for swinging by, bud - that's really cool of you. :) That was my first time at BC, and it was the HYPEST. I'd vended at EQLA '15 and BABS '16, but Bronycon was a whole nother animal. man.

• Brohoof 4

How would you feel if you saved the Batman - IRL? <3

Saved? Like, from a burning building or something? I'd keep my cool, totally. Put some sunglasses on him, take a couple selfies while he's knocked out. You know, what any sensible citizen would do.

• Brohoof 4

@@NCMares, just got a few more questions before I have to disappear to work on stuff. ♥ Hope you don't mind a small list. :-o

Do you have a medium you've always wanted to one day be good at (like, oil painting or the like)?

What core advice/lesson have you taken to heart with your work, and how impactful has it been?

Do you enjoy random conversations and networking with strangers in the fandom, or do you prefer to keep relatively to yourself and your work? Like, do you enjoy being approached by people, or do you tend to shy away from such? :-P

And, one open ended question for the fun of it, what's a question you've been expecting (or wanting) to get asked here, but no one has done so yet?

Thanks so much for taking the time to participate in this QA session, by the way. :grin: Keep being awesome and inspiring people, eh?

• Brohoof 4

@@NCMares, just got a few more questions before I have to disappear to work on stuff. ♥ Hope you don't mind a small list. :-o

Do you have a medium you've always wanted to one day be good at (like, oil painting or the like)?

What core advice/lesson have you taken to heart with your work, and how impactful has it been?

Do you enjoy random conversations and networking with strangers in the fandom, or do you prefer to keep relatively to yourself and your work? Like, do you enjoy being approached by people, or do you tend to shy away from such? :-P

And, one open ended question for the fun of it, what's a question you've been expecting (or wanting) to get asked here, but no one has done so yet?

Thanks so much for taking the time to participate in this QA session, by the way. :grin: Keep being awesome and inspiring people, eh?

I would love to master it all, haha. Especially markers and watercolors, though. I seen just the most beautiful stuff with those!

I tend to keep to myself, for sure. Like, the last thing I ever want is for somebody to be all like, 'here come dat boi,' when I walk in a chat room, you know? And I rarely reply to the folks that just send 'hi' in the tumblr chat. :P I apologize if that's on of you guys! D: I'm sorry, it's really nothing personal - I was taught to never talk to strangers!

And you bet! I'll do my best, but I'd be honored to inspire anybody. Thanks for hopping in, bud - take it easy!

• Brohoof 4

I've been drawing since I was real young and got inspired by the likes of behind the scenes videos that would follow Disney films on VHS. :) I didn't start getting serious about it until Middle School, though. I'll never forget it, man. I was watching XPlay in 2007 and they interviewd the concept artist for Fallout 3. I fell in love with the idea of being a CA, and from there I was all about learning about shading and perspective and stuff.

Man, that's a toughie, haha. Ponies are just plain fun to draw, let alone accessorize. Armor, weapons, cute stuff like sweaters and socks - they can rock it all and I love dressing them up. :)

I got one! How do you feel about SpingeBill, SpingleBlab, etc.?

• Brohoof 2

Thanks for swinging by, bud - that's really cool of you. :) That was my first time at BC, and it was the HYPEST. I'd vended at EQLA '15 and BABS '16, but Bronycon was a whole nother animal. man.

Oh of course, it was my pleasure!  You were one of the coolest artists I met there and I loved getting to get some prints from ya and just chat.  Actually your easy-goingness really helped put me at ease a bit when it came to quite a few of the fan artists there; like before I chatted with ya (since this was my first con period) I wasn't quite sure how to approach some of my favorite fan artists, but after chatting with you it was a lot easier for me to just pick up conversation with pretty much any of them I wanted to (if they weren't too busy, of course).

Non-fandom question for ya, watch any sports?

And also, you mentioned you love watercolors eh?  Well then, do I have an artist for you (you may already know of this one, though, seeing as you're an artist yourself, but just in case you don't, here ya go): http://the-wizard-of-art.deviantart.com/

• Brohoof 2