Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Batbrony

23_31589-melon-blitz-2.png

HAPPY HALLOWEEN AND NIGHTMARE NIGHT EVERYPONY!!! WELCOME TO OUR NIGHTMARE NIGHT NCMARES Q&A!!!

Good evening everypony, and welcome to our Nightmare Night Q&A with NCMares!  First of all, I want to take this opportunity to thank you on behalf of the MLP Forums staff and NCMares for your understanding regarding the rescheduling we had to do for this event; a last minute scheduling conflict came up and we had no choice but to push the event to today, but now that that's all out of the way we're all set for the main event tonight!  So without further ado, let's get to this evening's event.

Most of you I'm guessing already know who NCMares is, but for those few who may not, he's one of the best artists in the entire brony fandom, a longtime and frequent con attendee, and a really nice, stand-up guy all around!  Below you will find just a small sampling of some of the fantastic work he's put out!

cruel_moon__bring_the_end_by_ncmares-daj

wondercolt_by_ncmares-dahof87.png

rares_by_ncmares-dabm4ed.png

how_does_donut__by_ncmares-d8xtllf.jpg

the_muscle__the_hustle__by_ncmares-d8l6q

You can check out all of NCMares' work by clicking on the link above, which will take you to his DeviantArt profile.  Whether or not you're an artist or an aspiring artist in the fandom, please, ask away to your hearts content!  As with all of our Q&A events, you can ask whatever you want, but understand that it is at NCMares' discretion to determine what he does and doesn't want to answer, so we cannot guarantee that every question asked will be answered.  With the introductory formalities out of the way, let's get this show on the road!

I'll start things off by asking a pretty basic question: So, NCMares, why ponies?  What in particular got you into drawing our favorite, colorful, talking equines in the first place?

• Brohoof 5

Hey, NC! Love, love, love your art! I'm a big fan!

I got into drawing ponies about 6 months ago, but I'm still struggling a bit with the anatomy and drawing them in different angles and positions. How exactly did you go about studying pony anatomy so you were able to draw them in the poses you wanted?

• Brohoof 1

I was originally appalled that so many guys were watching MLP, haha. I always love cartoons though, and in early 2013 a friend asks me if I'm a brony, I said 'no freakin' way,' but for whatever reason that got me curious and checking out youtube vids haha. I fell in love with the animation and stuff first off,  and then the characters as I began giving the show itself a shot. It's been a great ride, and although I regret not getting on sooner I'm still glad to have been apart of this.

• Brohoof 3

I got into drawing ponies about 6 months ago, but I'm still struggling a bit with the anatomy and drawing them in different angles and positions. How exactly did you go about studying pony anatomy so you were able to draw them in the poses you wanted?

I studied the show a lot and really liked especially how fluid it all was. Like the run and trot cycles? Totally beautiful. I tell you what, though, Andy Price's work on the comics was a huge influence on me. He was a huge influence on me, for sure, and I would trace his work a lot to get a feel for how he might go about drawing them. Tracing's a big taboo, but it's not all that bad s long as you don't post it nowhere. :)

Oh, and thank you! I'm real nervous here, haha.

• Brohoof 2

I was originally appalled that so many guys were watching MLP, haha. I always love cartoons though, and in early 2013 a friend asks me if I'm a brony, I said 'no freakin' way,' but for whatever reason that got me curious and checking out youtube vids haha. I fell in love with the animation and stuff first off,  and then the characters as I began giving the show itself a shot. It's been a great ride, and although I regret not getting on sooner I'm still glad to have been apart of this.

Very cool, and a very familiar story for many of us I'm sure who also at one point couldn't imagine getting into a fandom like this.  :D  Do you have a particular feature on ponies that you enjoy drawing the most?  It doesn't just have to be a body part, it could be an expression or even objects entirely separate from them.

• Brohoof 2

@@NCMares

I'll ask the generic ones... :P

What got you into MLP?

Also what inspired you to draw?

I've been drawing since I was real young and got inspired by the likes of behind the scenes videos that would follow Disney films on VHS. :) I didn't start getting serious about it until Middle School, though. I'll never forget it, man. I was watching XPlay in 2007 and they interviewd the concept artist for Fallout 3. I fell in love with the idea of being a CA, and from there I was all about learning about shading and perspective and stuff.

Very cool, and a very familiar story for many of us I'm sure who also at one point couldn't imagine getting into a fandom like this.  :D  Do you have a particular feature on ponies that you enjoy drawing the most?  It doesn't just have to be a body part, it could be an expression or even objects entirely separate from them.

Man, that's a toughie, haha. Ponies are just plain fun to draw, let alone accessorize. Armor, weapons, cute stuff like sweaters and socks - they can rock it all and I love dressing them up. :)

• Brohoof 5

Man, that's a toughie, haha. Ponies are just plain fun to draw, let alone accessorize. Armor, weapons, cute stuff like sweaters and socks - they can rock it all and I love dressing them up. :)

I can imagine, if I could draw like you I don't know where I'd stop.  You seem to enjoy doing quite a few amusing crossovers between MLP and other properties, such as Star Wars (probably your most frequent), DC (especially AJ as Supermare), and even 'The Hangover' just to name a few.  Where did the inspiration for those come from?  Did you first decide to do those just for fun, or did a friend or fan either request something like that or commission you?

• Brohoof 2

Hey there NCMARES. Incredible art that you have there. :)

Have you ever thought about drawing the mane 6, or background ponies as other animal hybrids? I know, alot of people like Batponies for example, but there are also mothponies, snakeponies, seaponies, etc.

Also, generic question. Your favorite pony? :P

Hope you have a nice stay here. :)

• Brohoof 3

I can imagine, if I could draw like you I don't know where I'd stop.  You seem to enjoy doing quite a few amusing crossovers between MLP and other properties, such as Star Wars (probably your most frequent), DC (especially AJ as Supermare), and even 'The Hangover' just to name a few.  Where did the inspiration for those come from?  Did you first decide to do those just for fun, or did a friend or fan either request something like that or commission you?

The Hangover came about between me and my man AquaticSun. :) He was just sketching aroudn one day and I'm all like - I'm coloring that, dude.' But yeah, movies are a huge influence on me, you know? Warhammer 40K is also a big one, haha. For the Emprah, knowuimsayin?

Hey there NCMARES. Incredible art that you have there. :)

Have you ever thought about drawing the mane 6, or background ponies as other animal hybrids? I know, alot of people like Batponies for example, but there are also mothponies, snakeponies, seaponies, etc.

Also, generic question. Your favorite pony? :P

Hope you have a nice stay here. :)

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it. :D I never really gave the interspecies stuff a lot of thought myself, but Tatzl-Jack is a little cutie. :P The most adorable abomination, I always say! And then Applejack is best pony. The other mane five come in a very, very close second place though. ^^

Y'all like vidya gaemz? Freakin' Steam is having its Halloween sale. I just bought Arkham Knight. I really really like Batman. :3 I've been waiting for this game moreso because of all the skins. Dark Knight and Ben Affleck Batman? Uh, yes please. :D

• Brohoof 4

The Hangover came about between me and my man AquaticSun. :) He was just sketching aroudn one day and I'm all like - I'm coloring that, dude.' But yeah, movies are a huge influence on me, you know? Warhammer 40K is also a big one, haha. For the Emprah, knowuimsayin?

Y'all like vidya gaemz? Freakin' Steam is having its Halloween sale. I just bought Arkham Knight. I really really like Batman. :3 I've been waiting for this game moreso because of all the skins. Dark Knight and Ben Affleck Batman? Uh, yes please. :D

Very cool.  Now I have to ask as well, where did the grumpy, grunge, hoodie-and-sock wearing, junk-food eating princesses that I'm sure you are quite well known for in the fandom come from?  :icwudt:   Those are as hilarious as they are adorable, and quite a trademark of yours by now.

Also of course I love video games!  Console myself, so no need really for Steam for me, and I don't get to game as much as I'd like, but when I can I love it.  And I still need to get Arkham Knight, though I'm sure I'll get a nice deal on it before long.  :(

• Brohoof 2

@@NCMares 

Ok one more question I'm curious, you gonna stay around here after this event? There are some things here as you may well know, I suppose curiosity got the better of me to ask this question. 

• Brohoof 2

Hi! Your art is absolutely stunning

This one question I ask a lot, but, how long have you been drawing?

also another question. How do pony forelegs bend? I've been drawing for a month and I still can't figure it out.

Hope you have a good day

• Brohoof 2

Very cool.  Now I have to ask as well, where did the grumpy, grunge, hoodie-and-sock wearing, junk-food eating princesses that I'm sure you are quite well known for in the fandom come from?  :icwudt:   Those are as hilarious as they are adorable, and quite a trademark of yours by now.

Also of course I love video games!  Console myself, so no need really for Steam for me, and I don't get to game as much as I'd like, but when I can I love it.  And I still need to get Arkham Knight, though I'm sure I'll get a nice deal on it before long.  :(

That all started with one comic by HAK2, in which Celestia was a total slob and eating ice cream straight from the tub in a sweater. :) I fell in love with that concept, and during an Econ lecture I just doodled her and Twilight and thought 'you know, this might make for a good tumblr.' I asked Hak if he'd let me run with the concept. and with his blessing everything snowballed. It's been a lot of fun, that series and I'm glad folks like it. :D

@@NCMares 

Ok one more question I'm curious, you gonna stay around here after this event? There are some things here as you may well know, I suppose curiosity got the better of me to ask this questionI guess I can. :) 

I guess so! You guys seem like a cool buncha fellows. :)

• Brohoof 4

Welcome to the forums, and I hope you enjoy yourself here. :)

Alright, question, any experience drawing deer? :)

• Brohoof 3

Hi! Your art is absolutely stunning

This one question I ask a lot, but, how long have you been drawing?

also another question. How do pony forelegs bend? I've been drawing for a month and I still can't figure it out.

Hope you have a good day

Thank you, bud, I really appreciate it. :) I've been drawing since I was real young, but when I watched that show on XPlay I was in 7th grade which coincidentally was in 2007. That makes about 8 years since I really buckled down and tried to improve. It's been slow going, but I've made  progress. :'D

The forelegs can be kind of tricky because they got four joints from shoulder to fetlock. It's hard to explain, but I tell you what - stop by EQD and you'll find more tutorials than you can even handle, :D That's how I got rolling, and they got everything you need.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/06/tutorial-codex.html#more

Welcome to the forums, and I hope you enjoy yourself here. :)

Alright, question, any experience drawing deer? :)

Oh yeah, MLPForums are pretty slick, man. I have not given the deer a shot, yet, but I think I ought to! Giraffes, too. Giraffes are gangster, and my man MadHotaru has got a nice giraffe OC. :)

• Brohoof 3

I have a question  :D

How did you Big Apple Pony Tumblr come to be? It's so silly, I love it. There has to be a story there ;)

I love that one so much. <3 Oversized ponies are just plain cute. Like, the general rule of thumb is that things get cuter the smaller they are, but not Applejack. :D I whipped up this sketch way back during one of the EQDArtist Training Grounds (amazing event), as the prompt was draw a super big or small pony. Applejack is my favorite pony, so i drew her up and just liked the concept! Over the next year or so I drew her a few more times, and then finally spun up a tumblr so I have an excuse to draw her all the time. :3

• Brohoof 5

Oh yeah, MLPForums are pretty slick, man. I have not given the deer a shot, yet, but I think I ought to! Giraffes, too. Giraffes are gangster, and my man MadHotaru has got a nice giraffe OC. :)

Thank you! I appreciate hearing that! ^^

Oh; sweet! I think you ought to as well; deer are just so...deer, to me. :P

Question: Favorite song from the series?

• Brohoof 3

Thank you! I appreciate hearing that! ^^

Oh; sweet! I think you ought to as well; deer are just so...deer, to me. :P

Question: Favorite song from the series?

Haha, nice icon, too. ;) Best song has got to be Pinkie's Pie Sister Exchange Present whatchamacallit song from the Gift of Maud Pie. It's a masterpiece and really speaks to the heart, you know?

• Brohoof 3

@@NCMares 

And I keep thinking of questions... from my personal memory you don't do that many commissions why is that? 

I have serious insecurities about my own work and have a really hard time drawing for other's because I am terrified that they will not like it. :') True story. I'm working through three right this second, though. So - progress!

• Brohoof 4