Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Batbrony

Oh of course, it was my pleasure!  You were one of the coolest artists I met there and I loved getting to get some prints from ya and just chat.  Actually your easy-goingness really helped put me at ease a bit when it came to quite a few of the fan artists there; like before I chatted with ya (since this was my first con period) I wasn't quite sure how to approach some of my favorite fan artists, but after chatting with you it was a lot easier for me to just pick up conversation with pretty much any of them I wanted to (if they weren't too busy, of course).

Non-fandom question for ya, watch any sports?

And also, you mentioned you love watercolors eh?  Well then, do I have an artist for you (you may already know of this one, though, seeing as you're an artist yourself, but just in case you don't, here ya go): http://the-wizard-of-art.deviantart.com

Oh yuss - Wizard really is a wizard, bro. Like. most of the folks with such a name don't really live up to it, but that guy is NUTS. :D And then I love sports, but in particular I watch the NFL and the NBA. Not as much baseball save for the playoffs, but this World Series is wild. I'm holding out for Chicago, but it's not looking good. :[ I also like auto racing, but don't fallow it terribly closely. I just really really like the GT1, GT3 F1 and Rally cars. :3

Are you gonna trick-or-treat?  :lol: ^.^

Psh - heh - wat - NO! I'm a big kid! I am totally NOT going to dress up as Batman and accompany my little cousin (who is also batman) to every single door and lowkey insert my bucket with all the other kids. No way.

• Brohoof 3

Hey NCMares, I'm a big fan of your art ^^

Can you describe your drawing process for me? I'd assume it's something like sketching, then making the lineart, then coloring, then shading. Is there another part of the process that an aspiring artist like me should know?

• Brohoof 3

Hey NCMares, I'm a big fan of your art ^^

Can you describe your drawing process for me? I'd assume it's something like sketching, then making the lineart, then coloring, then shading. Is there another part of the process that an aspiring artist like me should know?

Thanks bud! Yeah, that's about my process in a nutshell. :) I actually got a youtube channel that is in desperate need of an update, if you'd like to see my process.

There really is no one way to draw, though, and what works for one person might not work for another. There's a lot of folks that can make something incredible after what first appears to be random blobs of paint, haha. Be sure to flip your canvas periodically as you work, as the piece ought to be balanced and in the right perspective no matter the orientation. If you're working traditionally just hold the drawing up to a mirror for the same effect. :)

• Brohoof 3

Oh yuss - Wizard really is a wizard, bro. Like. most of the folks with such a name don't really live up to it, but that guy is NUTS. :D And then I love sports, but in particular I watch the NFL and the NBA. Not as much baseball save for the playoffs, but this World Series is wild. I'm holding out for Chicago, but it's not looking good. :[ I also like auto racing, but don't fallow it terribly closely. I just really really like the GT1, GT3 F1 and Rally cars. :3

NFL and college football for me for the most part, though I occasionally follow college basketball and the NBA and every once in awhile MLB, especially when the World Series roll around (I'm pulling for the Cubs too).

Should've asked this earlier, but what about AJ makes her your best pony?  The stetson, or something more about her?  :icwudt:

• Brohoof 2

NFL and college football for me for the most part, though I occasionally follow college basketball and the NBA and every once in awhile MLB, especially when the World Series roll around (I'm pulling for the Cubs too).

Should've asked this earlier, but what about AJ makes her your best pony?  The stetson, or something more about her?  :icwudt:

Arizona State Football is the only college I follow, but freakin' Lousiville, bro. Those guys.

In the beginning it was actually Fluttershy and AJ, but over time Applejack just kind of won out, lol. I always tell folks that it's the hat. She has a BOSS hat, for real. And then her cute little hair ties, killer accent, general attitude and swag - Applejack's got it all, man!

• Brohoof 3

Arizona State Football is the only college I follow, but freakin' Lousiville, bro. Those guys.

In the beginning it was actually Fluttershy and AJ, but over time Applejack just kind of won out, lol. I always tell folks that it's the hat. She has a BOSS hat, for real. And then her cute little hair ties, killer accent, general attitude and swag - Applejack's got it all, man!

Michigan football for me, Jim Harbaugh be taking us out of the Dark Ages (seriosly, the Rodriguez and Hoke years by and large SUCKED!!!), though funnily enough I'm a Packers fan for the NFL because I've got a lot of family from Wisconsin.

And quite so, I do indeed love me some AJ; I don't have a favorite Mane 6 since I can't choose between them, but I've always had a warm spot for her since she's usually such a steady, balancing voice of reason in the group.

Random question, mostly since aside from some Sunset as a pony pics I haven't seen much EQG stuff on your DA, but what are your thoughts on the EQG films, both pros and cons (if you have both pros and cons)?

• Brohoof 2

Michigan football for me, Jim Harbaugh be taking us out of the Dark Ages (seriosly, the Rodriguez and Hoke years by and large SUCKED!!!), though funnily enough I'm a Packers fan for the NFL because I've got a lot of family from Wisconsin.

And quite so, I do indeed love me some AJ; I don't have a favorite Mane 6 since I can't choose between them, but I've always had a warm spot for her since she's usually such a steady, balancing voice of reason in the group.

Random question, mostly since aside from some Sunset as a pony pics I haven't seen much EQG stuff on your DA, but what are your thoughts on the EQG films, both pros and cons (if you have both pros and cons)?

Same, dude - no way I could rank them, or the princesses! And then I'm more or less indifferent to the films. I haven't actually seen the newest one. ._. Sunset's a fantastic character, though. :) Especially the backstory comic that was introduced for her in I think the 2013 Annual. The one with Andy Price? It's an 8 page mini-story that shows how Sunset had a falling out with Celestia and ultimately going through the mirror. That comic ROCKED. And Chrysalis' Friendship issue. She's so freakin' COOL and I am so glad that she remains a bad guy. :D

Geeze, already two hours has flown by? I wasn't expecting that, lol. I think I bored most everyone away by now, too! I'll go ahead and call it in, bud. Thank you very much for having me - I was super nervous but you guys are a great bunch. I apologize for having to miss the original time, too. Thanks for all the questions and I hoped that I answered well! Take it easy and have a good day, fellas. :)

• Brohoof 4

Same, dude - no way I could rank them, or the princesses! And then I'm more or less indifferent to the films. I haven't actually seen the newest one. ._. Sunset's a fantastic character, though. :) Especially the backstory comic that was introduced for her in I think the 2013 Annual. The one with Andy Price? It's an 8 page mini-story that shows how Sunset had a falling out with Celestia and ultimately going through the mirror. That comic ROCKED. And Chrysalis' Friendship issue. She's so freakin' COOL and I am so glad that she remains a bad guy. :D

I'm with ya on that, mostly indifferent to them.  When the first one came out, I thought it could seriously damage the entire MLP brand, but it was just entertainingly bad with one great character in Sunset Shimmer (and her stuff has really remained great since then and only gotten better, at least for me).  I did genuinely like Rainbow Rocks, but Friendship Games wasn't quite as good as that (haven't seen Legend of the Everfree yet).  But yeah, it's at the point where you don't have to worry about what EQG does because it doesn't affect the show whatsoever (although I would honestly love if Sunset went back to Equestria at some point).

Art question again; you've experimented with backgrounds a little bit (I get the sense it has more to do with the extra work and coloring you gotta put into it, which is perfectly understandable for artists), but the little bit we've seen has been great in pieces like this:

serenity_by_ncmares-da8ff15.png

Can we expect more backgrounds from ya in the future, or in the rare few you draw, more experimentation with backgrounds?

• Brohoof 2

I'm with ya on that, mostly indifferent to them.  When the first one came out, I thought it could seriously damage the entire MLP brand, but it was just entertainingly bad with one great character in Sunset Shimmer (and her stuff has really remained great since then and only gotten better, at least for me).  I did genuinely like Rainbow Rocks, but Friendship Games wasn't quite as good as that (haven't seen Legend of the Everfree yet).  But yeah, it's at the point where you don't have to worry about what EQG does because it doesn't affect the show whatsoever (although I would honestly love if Sunset went back to Equestria at some point).

Art question again; you've experimented with backgrounds a little bit (I get the sense it has more to do with the extra work and coloring you gotta put into it, which is perfectly understandable for artists), but the little bit we've seen has been great in pieces like this:

serenity_by_ncmares-da8ff15.png

Can we expect more backgrounds from ya in the future, or in the rare few you draw, more experimentation with backgrounds?

I wouldn't depend on it. ^^; Sorry, bud - I really like to focus on the pony and make it look like concept art with the minimal backgrounds and stuff, you know? A part of me still hangs onto that dream. :'] I'll certainly draw backgrounds again, though, but I always like to reserve them for the special works like that which take upwards of 15 hours. :)

• Brohoof 3

I wouldn't depend on it. ^^; Sorry, bud - I really like to focus on the pony and make it look like concept art with the minimal backgrounds and stuff, you know? A part of me still hangs onto that dream. :'] I'll certainly draw backgrounds again, though, but I always like to reserve them for the special works like that which take upwards of 15 hours. :)

Oh believe me, that's totally fair, I was just curious is all.  And yeah, quality like that takes time; I mean, been writing my only fanfic since 2013 and probably not even halfway through, so yeah.

Ah, here's an interesting question for ya: do you know what your first piece to get featured on EQD was, and what was your reaction when it got featured?

• Brohoof 2

If this has not been asked yet, would you consider doing a comic series(whether you were in charge or someone else)? Also, how long did take for you to get so good? And lastly, can Poland into space?

• Brohoof 2

Oh believe me, that's totally fair, I was just curious is all.  And yeah, quality like that takes time; I mean, been writing my only fanfic since 2013 and probably not even halfway through, so yeah.

Ah, here's an interesting question for ya: do you know what your first piece to get featured on EQD was, and what was your reaction when it got featured?

I'll never forget it, haha. It was this Pinkie Pie that I drew just for the fun of it, trying to make a face like Andy Price would. I added some color to it just cuz, and it somehow found its way into the Drawfriend! This was a number of months after I got into the fandom and dragged my little brother in with me, and I had drawn a few other little things before but all of a sudden he walks in and is all like, 'you're in the drawfriend!" I couldn't believe it and was all like 'nuh uh, stop lying,' but he shows me it and I just kind of went nuts. :P I was freakin' stoked because to me the Drawfriend represented the best of the best, you know? All of a sudden I was getting watchers and stuff and then things just took off. The Artist Training Grounds happened right after, too, and that's what got me drawing ponies on a daily basis. :)

If this has not been asked yet, would you consider doing a comic series(whether you were in charge or someone else)? Also, how long did take for you to get so good? And lastly, can Poland into space?

I thought about comics in the past, but they are really really hardcore. :[ Like, mad props to the guys that pull it off, seriously! There's a lot more that I want to draw and would have a hard time focusing on a comic, haha. ^^; And then we can do anything if we put our MINDS to it!

• Brohoof 3

Heya!!! I know you've been told this A LOT of times, but heck, I have to say it... I totally love your artstyle and you're by far my favorite artist from the MLP community  :P So keep up the amazing work man, we all totally love it  :wub:

Anyway, I wanted to ask you if you had a fav snack/drink to take while drawing. Also, what do you want to see in the show that hasn't happened already? (For example, I've been waiting for a Celestia episode since season 3 and still hope it'll happen :'D )

My friend @VengefulStrudel also wanted to ask you what's your fav piece of art that you've done :) (he couldn't be here due to 'em timezones)

Sorry if these questions have been asked already!  :lie:

• Brohoof 4

Any advice to those who want to be able to art?

Oh man, where to begin? Haha, I think the most important thing is that you cannot stop. Where most every young artist fails is in getting impatient and calling it quits after only the first year or two. It's got to be a daily thing, and it gets really really hard to stay motivated and it is very easy to get frustrated. You must power through it, though, and experiment/ try new things constantly. A firm handle on perspective early on will pay off greatly in the long run, so I recommend starting with that and just trying to draw the world around you. Every single day, bud. Be it a masterpiece or just a doodle, as long as you are drawing and learning from each thing you make then you are on the right track. There may be droughts where you just feel like you are spinning your wheels for weeks or even MONTHS on end, but that's only natural. Most any professional will tell you the same thing - they worked relentlessly for many years to get to where they are, and they still aren't done. None of us will ever be done, you know? 

• Brohoof 6

I'll never forget it, haha. It was this Pinkie Pie that I drew just for the fun of it, trying to make a face like Andy Price would. I added some color to it just cuz, and it somehow found its way into the Drawfriend! This was a number of months after I got into the fandom and dragged my little brother in with me, and I had drawn a few other little things before but all of a sudden he walks in and is all like, 'you're in the drawfriend!" I couldn't believe it and was all like 'nuh uh, stop lying,' but he shows me it and I just kind of went nuts. :P I was freakin' stoked because to me the Drawfriend represented the best of the best, you know? All of a sudden I was getting watchers and stuff and then things just took off. The Artist Training Grounds happened right after, too, and that's what got me drawing ponies on a daily basis. :)

That's an awesome story, kinda reminds me of when I finally got featured on Fimfiction.

Here's an interesting question for ya, do you have a favorite princess to draw?  Like, I know you don't have a best princess in general, but any who you like to draw the most?

• Brohoof 3

Heya!!! I know you've been told this A LOT of times, but heck, I have to say it... I totally love your artstyle and you're by far my favorite artist from the MLP community  :P So keep up the amazing work man, we all totally love it  :wub:

Anyway, I wanted to ask you if you had a fav snack/drink to take while drawing. Also, what do you want to see in the show that hasn't happened already? (For example, I've been waiting for a Celestia episode since season 3 and still hope it'll happen :'D )

My friend @VengefulStrudel also wanted to ask you what's your fav piece of art that you've done :) (he couldn't be here due to 'em timezones)

Sorry if these questions have been asked already!  :lie:

Oh, thank you very much! I'm really glad you like my stuff and am honored to be among your favorites. ^^ I really like Jolly Ranchers or Jawbreakers, but those'll mess your teeth up real bad if you eat them a lot, haha. I really enjoy pretzels, though. Ever since I was a kid, I've loved pretzels. They're the best! :D

I would absolutely love to see a princess-focused episode. That is, focused on Celestia and/or Luna. It just has to happen. :'] I'd also want to see Sunset Shimmer go back home to Equestria. That'd be so cool! And then the last thing that I'd want to see is a Big Applejack episode. Totally not biased or nothing, but giant Applejack is adorable and would just be the best. :3

And then a favorite piece? Man, that is really tough to narrow down. ^^; I really do like how separation_by_ncmares-dafu8ky.png worked out, though. :)

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

That's an awesome story, kinda reminds me of when I finally got featured on Fimfiction.

Here's an interesting question for ya, do you have a favorite princess to draw?  Like, I know you don't have a best princess in general, but any who you like to draw the most?

Oh man - don't make me choose! :D Haha, if we're talking the messy-mane Royals series then it's far and away Cadance. ^^ In-character and regal, though, definitely Celestia!

Okay, this is getting fun.

I want to date an artist, any suggestions on how to go about this noble deed?

Easy! Just remember to have shoulders back, chest high, feet apart, head up, and STRUT!

Edited by NCMares
  • Brohoof 5

Okay, awesome!

Now time to get to a real area:

My problems is an artist, he's really good at it. I'm a writer of sorts, typically horror and I'm developing my own thing. My friend told me that writing "takes less talent". I don't know how to tell him that it hurt a bit. How should I do this?

• Brohoof 2

a Big Applejack episode. Totally not biased or nothing, but giant Applejack is adorable and would just be the best. :3

Giant AJ ftw! I would definitely not mind if we had that episode  :bedeyes:

Btw, now that you've told us what your fav princesses to draw are, what's the pony that you find the most difficult to draw?  :wau:

• Brohoof 3

Okay, awesome!

Now time to get to a real area:

My problems is an artist, he's really good at it. I'm a writer of sorts, typically horror and I'm developing my own thing. My friend told me that writing "takes less talent". I don't know how to tell him that it hurt a bit. How should I do this?

Oh dang - I don't really know bud. :[ I mean, no offense, but I think your friend is full of crap in that regard. In writing Night Mares I've come to find that writing is way harder than it looks. To be a great writer takes skill, which takes time and practice to develop just like drawing does, you know? Maybe he doesn't realize it or something, but if I was you I'd let him know that it's been eating at you for a bit. Pals are supposed to build each other up - not tear down. There's a difference between constructive criticism and just bashing, and a comment like that isn't very cool. Sorry to hear that, man. :[

Giant AJ ftw! I would definitely not mind if we had that episode  :bedeyes:

Btw, now that you've told us what your fav princesses to draw, what's the pony that you find the most difficult to draw?  :wau:

Any pony that I haven't tackled before is going to be rife with challenges, for sure, but as far as difficulty goes I think that Luna or Celestia are toughest to work with. Their legs are all long and stuff and are shaped weird and I need to spend some serious time making them look proportional and stuff. ^^;

• Brohoof 4

Oh man - don't make me choose! :D Haha, if we're talking the messy-mane Royals series then it's far and away Cadance. ^^ In-character and regal, though, definitely Celestia!

I had a feeling you had a soft spot for messy-mane Cadance!  ^_^

Well, with that said, our time has come to an end (though by all means, feel free to keep answering questions if you wish to NCMares, we'll keep the thread open a little longer just in case some late ones come in).  Thank you so much for taking the time out of your evening to spend it with us; it was very kind and generous of you and I think I speak for all of us when I say it's been a blast.  Have a Happy Halloween/Nightmare Night tomorrow (and get lots of candy), and God's blessings with all your art and any other endeavors going forward!  Have a good night everypony!  :muffins:

never_be_royals_by_ncmares-d93752e.jpg

• Brohoof 4

I had a feeling you had a soft spot for messy-mane Cadance!  ^_^

Well, with that said, our time has come to an end (though by all means, feel free to keep answering questions if you wish to NCMares, we'll keep the thread open a little longer just in case some late ones come in).  Thank you so much for taking the time out of your evening to spend it with us; it was very kind and generous of you and I think I speak for all of us when I say it's been a blast.  Have a Happy Halloween/Nightmare Night tomorrow (and gets lots of candy), and God's blessings with all your art and any other endeavors going forward!  Have a good night everypony!  :muffins:

never_be_royals_by_ncmares-d93752e.jpg

You bet! Thanks again for having me, you guys - it was a lot of fun and you guys made great hosts! I thought we were really winding down for a second but we got a second wind, haha. Take it easy and have a good one! I'll stick around for a bit, sure thing. :)

• Brohoof 6