Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Background Ponies Appreciation Club

Oleks

11 minutes ago, IronM17 said:

Why am I usually the only who always post here something?

I wish I had more time for posting these days. I'm planning to go through all S7 episodes and the movie in search of the coolest BG ponies, but, sadly, I don't have time to rewatch anything right now.

For now, have a cute pic of Raspberry Vinaigrette by twilite-sparkleplz

judgy-clerk-pony

P. S. To all the other bronies who might read this: Don't you have favorite background ponies? Feel free to post them here.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting background ponies from MLP Movie (part 1, I hope):

Octavia's younger sister (?):

TZDses9.png

Here she is with a different cutie mark:

oct21.png.5fd10997cea684c3abc8ddfdde426461.png

A happy flying earth pony:

fly.png.1d55a59d9c2a54e255e795deecee175a.png

Several ponies with a rather unusual mane style:

hair2.png.f6b0ac51b1ea040071fd36744bf657c8.pnghair.png.a2bccea9841cba7ca42521726efa7445.png

And a pony with a great cutie mark:

snake.png.51bda223b8549d315044e3b156395218.png

I don't know if they have names yet. I hope someone creative will come up with something fitting.

My big problem with the background ponies from the movie is that they only use a few models and recolour them. Most of them are repainted old background ponies from the older seasons. For example, the first is a coloring of Apple Fritter with the colors of Octavia. They also used some clones. For a unique background pony fan like me a bit disappointing. None of my favorite background ponies was used (is not like that it plays in Canterlot), but a lot of recolors. Btw.: In the last picture Seafoam is in the background with Apple Fritters design. I mean, the show has so many great awesome pony designs and the movie has such an awesome background (I mean, look at Canterlot, a dream). I don't get it why they use only recolors and also clones (the worst for me).

8 hours ago, IronM17 said:

My big problem with the background ponies from the movie is that they only use a few models and recolour them.

My guess is they started developing the movie back when unique BG ponies weren't a norm in the show (around Season 4, I think). So I can understand recolors. But clones are, indeed, disappointing, although they are not as visible as they used to be.

As for the majestic Canterlot background ponies, the timing issue strikes again. I mean, they barely fit Starlight in for a moment, so they just didn't care to include some BG characters.

12 hours ago, Oleks said:

My guess is they started developing the movie back when unique BG ponies weren't a norm in the show (around Season 4, I think). So I can understand recolors. But clones are, indeed, disappointing, although they are not as visible as they used to be.

As for the majestic Canterlot background ponies, the timing issue strikes again. I mean, they barely fit Starlight in for a moment, so they just didn't care to include some BG characters.

That could be the reason.

I hope we will see a lot of them in S8. I mean, in S7, the most of my favorites was shown really short in one or two episodes (usually in a crowd) or they wasn't in S7. Ok, a few of them got nice roles like Strawberry Sunrise or Raspberry Vinaigrette. Oh, btw.: Fun fact: Raspberry, who is obviously a female character, has a male voice in the german version. 01-facehoof.png I mean, srsly, I can understand when they give Rumble a female voice because of his female muzzle, but a mare with a male voice is just wrong. 

Edited by IronM17

I hope to see more of them in S8 too. Maybe they'll even give one of them a decent speaking role, ascending them to secondary characters.

9 minutes ago, IronM17 said:

Fun fact: Raspberry, who is official a femal character, has a male voice in the german version

Lol. That reminds me of this. Btw, is German dub any good? How many VAs are involved? Do they translate pony names? And is there any censorship?

first: WTF? Female main Characters with male voices? Are they drunk? pc-twut.png

30 minutes ago, Oleks said:

I hope to see more of them in S8 too. Maybe they'll even give one of them a decent speaking role, ascending them to secondary characters.

One thing is sure. When one of the Trendsetters (or more than one) get another speaking role, I will shout loud "yes". When they also get an official name, I will scream like a girl who sees the Backstreet boys. And when the name is the fandom name ... you can open a thread with the titel "In remembrance for IronM17". cl-rd-laugh.png rainbowdashwink.png

33 minutes ago, Oleks said:

Btw, is German dub any good? 

I like the german version. Some things are not so good as in the original (like Spikes song ... it was a torture x.x), but other are really good in my opinion. But a lot of german bronies don't like the german dubs. I don't know why.

35 minutes ago, Oleks said:

How many VAs are involved?

A lot. In contrast to the english version, the germans has so many different voice actors. For example, Rarity, Granny Smith, Luna, Photo Finish or Mrs. Cake has in the english all the same voice actor (Tabitha St. germain), in the german version, they have different voice actors for each character. Also Pinkie and Fluttershy or Aj and Rainbow have different Voice actors. 

39 minutes ago, Oleks said:

Do they translate pony names? 

Sometimes, but really rarely. Tree Hugger for example was translated with a totally stupid name. She was called Baumlibchen (Treedear in english). I know it was because of the Nicknames from Discord, but really? It sounds so stupid. 

41 minutes ago, Oleks said:

And is there any censorship?

I mean that they tried to avoid the german words for war in the first two seasons, but I am not sure anymore. In later Seasons, the word war was used. Derpy also don't have her name in the german version. But this is because germany got the transcript where her name was already censored in the USA. Oh and funny, while Fluttershy was in the english version only peeved, in the german version, she used a little bit harder wordscl-rd-laugh.png

• Brohoof 1

19 hours ago, IronM17 said:

Oh and funny, while Fluttershy was in the english version only peeved, in the german version, she used a little bit harder words

Oh yeah, I remember that cl-rd-laugh.png.

It sounds like they really put some effort in voicing the German dub. My native language (Ukrainian) dub is terrible. It's voiced by like two people, and the tone of the characters often resembles the one adults use when talking to mentally challenged kids. At least they don't translate names of the main characters like they do in some other countries.

30 minutes ago, dosey doe said:

cherry berry is best horse 

I wish the show explored the idea of her being an earth pony who likes to fly. I mean, there've been quite a few hints to this.

593510__safe_screencap_applejack_cherry+

54 minutes ago, Oleks said:

It sounds like they really put some effort in voicing the German dub. 

I would say so. The german voice actors even know the fandom. That is why the german Twilight said in one episode "Twilightiös" in translation to Twilightlicious. There is a german fan dub of the Twilightlicious video and the german voice actor of Twilight voiced Twily in this smal video. They are also often guests on the biggest german MLP convention Galacon. 

Even the Backgroundpoyns have usually different Voice Actors, but saddly, the names of the Actors are not foten listed in the credits. I am glad that the Voice Actors of the Canterlot Girls are listed. 

• Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, Oleks said:

I wish the show explored the idea of her being an earth pony who likes to fly. I mean, there've been quite a few hints to this.

593510__safe_screencap_applejack_cherry+

It's because she's the only pony who actually has a job

therefore, she must have EVERY job

8 hours ago, dosey doe said:

It's because she's the only pony who actually has a job

Not really. Daisy, Lily and Rose for example have jobs as florists. Octavia is cellist. There are also other backgroundponys where have a job. 

Btw.: I also made once a vector of her.

cherry_berry_in_the_spa_by_ironm17-da4yb

Picture on DeviantArt

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting background ponies from MLP Movie (part 2). As was mentioned before, most new BG ponies in the movie were relocors, but I still try to find interesting designs and cutie marks.

A bouncy radish pony and an earth pony with a rainbow cutie mark that would better suit a pegasus:

jump.png.39ef55882e0c928863db393769c28f7f.png

Clear skies with a pony astronomer (?):

1642412__safe_screencap_clear+skies_my+l

Either this pony's cutie mark is a weird toucan, or she is a descendant of Mage Meadowbrook:

2m.png.356e3236f56c91af21a6030732d6bff8.png

Just a cute unicorn:

1601096__safe_screencap_carrot+cake_my+l

A pony with a horse cutie mark:

horse.png.53e1b92d965cb10944ccf05c1999f57a.png

Some stallions:

cap.png.7446b33cd4a69ddaa8283d3d975c5419.pngbeard.thumb.png.855da3fb5d4524cb25c4900b5cc497c8.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...