Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who Is Worst Pony And Why?

OmegaBeamOfficial

One thing I wanna add here, is that there's something I forgot to account for when I made the original post, and that's that we hate some characters, perhaps because Hasbro WANTS us to hate them. I totally agree on the subject of Spoiled Rich & Flim And Flam for example, but when you think about it, they were actually supposed to have us dislike them for the sake of the plot. I'm not really trying to prove any specific point here, I just thought it was interesting. Though I guess there's a difference between an antagonist who we hate but like their character, and an antagonist who's awful at being a villain. (Cough, King Sombra.)

Also, I'm surprised Snips and Snails haven't come up yet, they're my least favourite by far. They have the most annoying voices I've heard in the show so far, they never add anything interesting to the episodes they're in, and their roles in those episodes could have been filled by more interesting ponies. They seem to be trying to serve as comic relief but it comes off awful, It's random Pinkie Pie style humour, but poorly executed.

On 11/4/2016 at 12:13 PM, OmegaBeamOfficial said:

and an antagonist who's awful at being a villain. (Cough, King Sombra.)

Certainly not awful as a threat, though. Plus, the Comics fixed his characterization.

Edited by Castle Bleck

Zephyr Breeze. 

And on top of him being one of the worst characters the show has ever introduced, he has one of the absolute worst designs for a non-background pony that I've ever seen in the show. 

Were it not for his five o'clock shadow, I would genuinely think that he is a mare. His hairstyle is ridiculously feminine, and his colors do not blend well together at all. 

• Brohoof 2

Zephyr Breeze.

And on top of him being one of the worst characters the show has ever introduced, he has one of the absolute worst designs for a non-background pony that I've ever seen in the show.

Were it not for his five o'clock shadow, I would genuinely think that he is a mare. His hairstyle is ridiculously feminine, and his colors do not blend well together at all.

Yeah, I hate him, too.

Starlight Glimmer's a sue, but he's a terrible character.

• Brohoof 1

Wow, so much hatred for Zephyr. I do understand where it's coming from though, but I still like him or at least he doesn't bother me.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned him, but the worst pony in my opinion has to be Rara's Manager, whatever his name was. I understand that was the point, but it also didn't help he had such an annoying voice and design, and I also dislike characters that are so obviously terrible. 

Edit: Svengallop was actually mentioned before, my bad  :adorkable: He still deserves more hatred though.

Edited by Baykush
  • Brohoof 2

I find honesty to be an uninteresting trait. I dislike predictable outcomes.

Such is that I find Applejack to be a boring character.

I like unstability and change. It's rather simple.

Ah, looks like we have a Discord fan.  :)

I didn't like Maud Pie. There was just... well, nothing there for me to like. It's probably an overused pun to say she has the personality of a rock, but it's accurate.

She's a goth, so...  While she's a nice enough pony, her limited interests, really singular interest, in all things geological, would make it hard to forge a lasting friendship with.

I know a lot of people will hate me for this, but it's Twilight for me. While I was fine with Unicorn Twilight being around, the Alicorn version just seems so bland and boring, she's always by the book and hardly thinks outside the box, she's probably the least interesting out of the 6 or 7 if you count Starlight. I was so happy when Starlight became a main character because it seemed to make the episodes more interesting whenever she's around.

Twilight's always been rather a stickler for protocols and procedures, which can be annoying at times (just ask Spike).  She's so focused on pleasing Celestia I think she sometimes missed the point of just living.  That did change, somewhat, over time, thanks to her friends.  But now that she's a Princess, the old ways are coming back to the foreground.  Now she feels she needs to prove herself, not just to Celestia, but to Cadance, Luna and the people of Equistria itself.  She just doesn't realize she's already done that.

• Brohoof 2

I have to go with Zephyr Breeze all because of his arrogance and lazy attitude. No wonder everyone aside from Fluttershy's parents couldn't stand him after interacting with him for roughly a minute. I can understand why they wanted him to come across as an annoying character, but I think they went too far with it.

• Brohoof 2

Zephyr Breeze, come on down! I found it laughable that the episode was trying so much to make us cheer for him when he finally was doing good things, but all I seen in the end of it was a pony that was a douche the entire episode and now he is a douche that can style hair. No thank you. His character was too irritating and too stereotypical for me to even like just a tiny tiny bit.

• Brohoof 3

Spoiled Milk for being a terrible mother

Starlight Glimmer for getting away with slavery, brainwashing, rewriting history and taking Sunset Shimmer's place

To a lesser extent, Twilight for being awful at her job and Trixie for being Trixie

• Brohoof 2

Don't hate me, but I've always dispised Rainbow dash. It's like she doesn't care about anyone apart from herself and her character never learns. I find her both boring and pathetic, really.

Exactly. She's also brutally overrated.

• Brohoof 3

Exactly. She's also brutally overrated.

More like overhated. It's not fair that you just shrug her off as jerk without putting any thought into her.

Just for that, your favorite pony is worst pony. Just because he/she isn't Rainbow Dash.

Don't hate me, but I've always dispised Rainbow dash. It's like she doesn't care about anyone apart from herself and her character never learns. I find her both boring and pathetic, really.

Then why is she always the first one to volunteer to help others and stand up for them when they're being bullied?

You must be thinking of some other pony. RD is literally the exact opposite of everything you said.

• Brohoof 2

More like overhated. It's not fair that you just shrug her off as jerk without putting any thought into her.

Just for that, your favorite pony is worst pony. Just because he/she isn't Rainbow Dash.

Then why is she always the first one to volunteer to help others and stand up for them when they're being bullied?

You must be thinking of some other pony. RD is literally the exact opposite of everything you said.

Pretty sure they meant all the instances like 28 pranks later, or Tanks for the memories. She certainly didn't care for anyone but herself in both cases. Yup, she didn't care for Tank as she completely ignored that Tank wanted to hibernate. She wanted to keep cuddling her pet.

Of the Mane 6, RD is the one I like the least. Not dislike the most, like the least. Because she often hurts her friends by being obnoxious and all. Although in her defense, when she does think stuff has gone too far, she indeed stands up for her friends, and oh boy does she.

As for my least liked character, I'd probably go with Tirek. All the others are overall pretty human, some with more flaws than others, but all trying to live life at its fullest (or too depressed to, but they're comforted then). Tirek though is just about himself because...reasons. We don't even know what makes him do all of that. So until more has been revealed about him, he'll just be a manipulative bastard destroying Equestria for the kick of it and finding pleasure in hurting and tormenting ponies. I can't think of any other character who revels in others' suffering.

• Brohoof 2

I can't think of any other character who revels in others' suffering.

Starlight Shimmer.  That's some revelling going on there over the suffering that she's inflicting.

XRx1h2V.png

As for Tirek, he could certainly do with some more backstory, and as villains go he is definitely one of the most evil.  But as characters go, he's pretty awesome.

• Brohoof 1

As for my least liked character, I'd probably go with Tirek. All the others are overall pretty human, some with more flaws than others, but all trying to live life at its fullest (or too depressed to, but they're comforted then). Tirek though is just about himself because...reasons. We don't even know what makes him do all of that. So until more has been revealed about him, he'll just be a manipulative bastard destroying Equestria for the kick of it and finding pleasure in hurting and tormenting ponies. I can't think of any other character who revels in others' suffering.

I recommend "Fiendship is Magic #2" which gives some more character depth to Tirek and doesn't clash too terribly with the show's canon

• Brohoof 2

"She doesn't care about anyone apart from herself". Oh really? Why did she bother saving Rarity and members of the wonderbolts in Sonic Rainboom then? If she cared about was herself why did she bother watching over Spike with Twilight and Rarity back in Dragon Quest and put herself in danger then? If all she cared about was herself, why did she quit the wonderbolts for her friends back in Wonderbolts Academy? Why did she save Scootaloo from falling down the waterfall back in Sleepless In Ponyville if all she cared about was herself? Why did she bother standing up for Fluttershy back in The Cutie Mark Chronicles or Gilda in The Lost Treasures Of Griffonstone if all she cared about was herself? Why bother saving Soarin in Rainbow Falls if all she cared about was herself? Why did she bother restraining herself when talking to Fluttershy (and also call Fluttershy the "number one flyer") in Hurricane Fluttershy, if all she cared about was herself? Why did she bother going to look for Spike after he was kidnapped and when surrounded by buffalo, tell Pinkie Pie "Run, Pinkie, I'll hold 'em off. Save yourself!" back in Over A Barrel, if all she cared about was herself? Why did she bother stopping the train and cheering up Scootaloo back in Flight To The Finish if all she cared about was herself? etc.

"I find her both boring and pathetic" I could honestly say the same thing about Applejack, but then again, that's merely an opinion. Although speaking of a "character" that "never learns", what did Applejack say at the end of The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000? Oh yes, "I didn't learn anything, I was right all along". Also to say Rainbow Dash's "character never learns" is a bit of a stretch, considering she got 100% in the wonderbolts examination in Testing Testing 1 2 3 and even managed to defeat Twilight in argument in Daring Don't.

She's also brutally overrated.

More like brutally underrated, considering her sonic rainboom is the reason the rest of the mane six have their cutie marks, ensuring their connection was formed and thus preventing Equestria from turning into a lifeless wasteland, as evidenced by the Season 5 finale.

• Brohoof 4

Call me a fanboy but I don't get how people can still say Rainbow Dash when the likes of Zephyr, Zesty, Sven and Spoiled exists

Pretty sure they meant all the instances like 28 pranks later, or Tanks for the memories. She certainly didn't care for anyone but herself in both cases. Yup, she didn't care for Tank as she completely ignored that Tank wanted to hibernate. She wanted to keep cuddling her pet.

Of the Mane 6, RD is the one I like the least. Not dislike the most, like the least. Because she often hurts her friends by being obnoxious and all. Although in her defense, when she does think stuff has gone too far, she indeed stands up for her friends, and oh boy does she.

TFtM is reaaaaalllllyyyyy fucking pushing it as one can easily interpret it as her "not wanting to lose her per" especially given the episode's purpose is supposed to be that allegory for death. Not to mention it can be seen as a strong sense of loyalty as she's willing to go as far as to stop winter so she won't lose him which shows how far they've come since they first met

• Brohoof 2

Call me a fanboy but I don't get how people can still say Rainbow Dash when the likes of Zephyr, Zesty, Sven and Spoiled exists

TFtM is reaaaaalllllyyyyy fucking pushing it as one can easily interpret it as her "not wanting to lose her per" especially given the episode's purpose is supposed to be that allegory for death. Not to mention it can be seen as a strong sense of loyalty as she's willing to go as far as to stop winter so she won't lose him which shows how far they've come since they first met

It's still against Tank's wish and bad for him. She also decides to completely ignore the advice of her friends. In complete denial, she decides to stop winter. It can be seen as beautiful yes, but also very selfish.

As for it being an allegory for death, I've never even seen it that way. I've seen that pop up in the forums and that's how I even considered the very idea of it - which I don't agree with. To me, it's more about loss in a general sense. Death in part, but also moving on in life, leaving your highschool friends behind for instance, just like Sunburst did. The season had the theme of abandonment behind most of its episodes. Rainbow Dash has grown so strongly attached she's not willing to part with Tank, yet sometimes life must go on and one must learn to accept such a harsh fact.

So to me, it was more Rainbow Dash struggling with accepting it and making everypony else suffer because of it. Mind you, it is because she's grown to care so much, but she does have her flaws, such as being so blunt her words hurt and selfish at times. At other times, like you said, she'll be the exact opposite, like when the situation calls it.

Some will tolerate certain flaws more than others and consider some traits more likeable than others, and that's why you just love Rainbow Dash while to me she's my least liked. I still like her, but as I said, she does have her flaws. I'm just wondering if you love her character "despite" her flaws or choose not to see them :P

PS: I mean no offence btw, I'm just genuinely curious. :)

• Brohoof 1

Starlight Glimmer, because

1) She's unemphatic. This works both ways. Firstly she clearly can not comprehend anyone else's feelings or motives in the slightest. She mind controlled five ponies and she was happy about it. She needed someone to explain it to her and even then she didn't get it. Then she's also a self-pityer , having the whole "Woe is me" thing. I'll get back to that later. Combine these two and she comes across as unintentionally unsympathetic which makes me NOT empathize with her or care about her. 

2) She reduces the Mane cast. To make Starlight shine, they need to constantly reduce the Mane 6. Twilight becomes a judgmental hypocrite, why? Because then it makes Starlight look good. Let's go back to that self-pityer part. Starlight mind controls the Mane 6, but that's not the important thing. No the Mane 6 having all their free will taken away and being mindless puppets is not the thing to focus on, it's Starlight's anxiety. So any concerns about the Mane 6 are pointless because the Mane 6's thoughts and feelings don't matter there. And then you have the finale where the Mane 6 are just taken off screen because it has to be Starlight to save the day, a place only Twilight has ever gotten. Yeah no way any individual of the Mane 6 could ever hold a two-parter. Good characters do not need to make other characters look stupid in order to make them look good. 

3) She has horrible cast interactions. Sort of a combination of 1&2, but any time Starlight interacts with someone, it's only there to provide feedback for Starlight, the other character doesn't matter at all, it's all about Starlight. It break rules 3 & 6 of Kurt Vonnegut's guide to creative writing 

3. Every character should want something, even if it is only a glass of water.

6. Be a sadist. No matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them—in order that the reader may see what they are made of.

She breaks rule 3 because when ponies interact with Starlight, they want nothing, need nothing, they only serve to further Starlight. Not always the case but the decent of the time it is.  And she breaks rule 6 in that other characters are put through more sadistic trials but their struggle isn't the important one, it's Starlight's and it's far less sadistic. Basically other characters go through worse yet Starlight is the one we are meant to feel sorry for. (this also relates back to point 2)

Now to be fair she does have some decent iterations with Trixie and Spike but that's about it. 

tl;dr: Starlight Glimmer worst pony. 

• Brohoof 2

Lots of things.

I do not want to turn this into another Starlight debate, so if it goes out of hand I'll step down instantly. I just want to discuss your points with you.

1) You're right in that she's having trouble understand others, because she's lived all of her life thinking all the others were wrong because of Sunburst leaving her. Twilight made her understand this was completely false and is now in the process of learning what is common sense to us.

The other point that she was happy about mind-controlling them I do not agree. She was happy she'd found a "solution". Soon however, the solution turns out to be not so good and Starlight gets quite distressed over it. They do exactly what she says, but is in no way happy and has to check out on every single one of them to make sure they're not doing bad things because of her instructions.

The "woe is me" thing mustn't be overused, you're right here as well. Showing she's feeling distressed, fine. Having the switch blocked on "me so sad" isn't fine.

2) Twlight "becomes" a judgmental hypocryte? When? With Trixie? She's behaved in a similar fashion with other characters, Discord coming to mind even after Fluttershy reformed him. And even after he's learnt his lesson after being betrayed by Tirek. She was just doing the same thing with Trixie, but this time someone stood up for Trixie and Twilight learnt it was a bad thing. It was a lesson for Twilight as well.

And the Mane 6 being mind-controlled didn't matter?

Twilight doesn't seem exactly thrilled about it all, does she? Even giving us a brand new mad face. Then she tries to understand, is shocked to hear what Starlight says and it's back to saying she wanted her to get to know Pinkie Pie. Then, an apology. So sure, the focus of the episode was about Starlight's anxiety, but in no way did the Mane 6 not matter. You're merely asserting they did not without proving it. I don't even know how to disprove you because I don't know what even makes you feel that way!

As for that last point, had Celestia never been taken captive to make Twilight and the rest of the Mane 6 look good? I suppose they're bad characters then. Double standards, there's a lot of it in your post. :P

3) That's a somewhat fair point. Starlight is lacking in the cast interaction department, and you're not the only one who wish she'd have had that going for her. I understand the writers wanted to prioritise her redemption arc to have her learn what being a friend means first, but still. Her student status doesn't excuse this (not complete, but too close) lack of interaction. If there's one thing season 7 needs to do to improve Starlight, it's to address that.

The other point is half-true. She's (temporarily) heart-broken by Trixie and disappointed in Twilight, feeling not understood, then disappoints everypony later on by trying to do her lessons well but failing horribly at it, making her lose any kind of confidence in her own judgment. That said, she does get special treatment due to the "mentally fragile" label plastered on her face. Again, I hope that'll be addressed so we can see her actually interact instead of simply dealing with her angst.

Starlight Glimmer not worst pony for me but to each their own, feel free to dislike her all you want, I simply want to discuss your reasons for doing so. :wacko:

• Brohoof 1

Still Trixie. I know they've tried to make her more likeable after Boast Busters, but she was still awful in Magic Duel (and don't try to say "it was the Amulet's fault", she chose to put it on for the sake of her own revenge on Twilight, so she gets no migitation from me) and hoo boy, No Second Prances: first she deliberately tries to shove a wedge between Twilight and Starlight (I don't believe her "oh, but I really do like you" bullshit)

Trixie: A-ha! You still don't trust me! But guess what, princess? It doesn't matter if you want to give me a second chance or not. Starlight had to choose between you and me, and she chose me! Your pupil chose me, so ha! I win!

Starlight Glimmer: You win? That sounds like you just made friends with me to beat Twilight.
Trixie: Exactly! [beat] Wait! I mean, no! I got caught up in the moment. I like you. Beating Twilight is just a bonus. [gasps] Saying that didn't help, did it?

Straight from the pony's mouth. Plus it leads to a self-pity-induced suicide by Manticore attempt. The writers really were having an off day. So yeah, I've never liked Trixie, she's just done too much horrible stuff.

• Brohoof 2