Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who Is Worst Pony And Why?

OmegaBeamOfficial

Bulbasaur used CUT

I have a feeling we may be at this.

1) Sunburst moving away is not an excuse for what Starlight did and it doesn't change that she doesn't understand or care to understand how others feel. And like I said that doesn't make me empathize with her at all and therefore doesn't make me care about her in the slightest.

And she wasn't happy her mind control wasn't going as well as she planned for it, not that she was unhappy that she used it. If she had the chance she said it herself she would have tweaked it so she could use it again. She had no qualms about talking away someone else's free will.  I find that horrifying.  

2) Then why isn't she doing the same for Starlight? She instantly forgave Starlight, with absolutely no qualms attached, but Trixie she holds a grudge with? A grudge I might add that only first appeared in No Second Prances. And you can't throw out the "Well Starlight felt sorry" thing because Trixie felt sorry as well.  The hypocrisy I speak of is forgiving Starlight but then still being judgmental on Trixie, it's Starlight that's the one that sticks out. The thing is I really dislike the show's "Words speak louder than Actions" approach to who's good and who's bad, that acting kind of jerkish is somehow the worst thing in existence.  It smells of Tell don't show.  

As for the mind control, it's all directed at Starlight. It's all about how Starlight feels and how Starlight made a boo-boo.  They show no concern for the Mane 6 at all, hell Twilight jokes about it. It ties into that whole "Be a sadist" thing. The Mane 6 suffered worse than Starlight but nothing ever comes of it, they have no motive, they're there for Starlight's purpose, not any of there own. They instantly forgive her because it's Starlight's story and she gave a forces apology therefore everything is now right. They have no agency of their own. They are there not as characters but as set pieces to Starlight's story. I hope this helps explain what I mean a bit more:

Sorry it's a bit long. Portion I wish to make use of is from roughly 15:00 to around 30:00.It's a bit rambling FYI. And I disagree with the presenters assessment that the middle of the episode was decent. 

As for Celestia, I never mentioned her and so it's an assumption on your end that I am fine with Celestia being captured. I am not. I find it aggravating most of the time. The thing is thought that Celestia is a secondary character so my attachment to her is far less, so I don't get AS riled up about her, but it's still annoying she gets shoved to the side so often. But say what you will, in most of the other two-parters she at least plays some kind of role which is more than she did in the season 6 finale. 

3) Well we sort of agree on this so ummm I just wanted to make a 3 column? 

A big part of the problem I have with Starlight is that she's treated special by the writing staff. They go out of their way to overemphasize her, to push her. If she had far less screen time, I don't doubt my issues would be less concerning for me. They would still be there, I have no doubt but with far less emphasize on them, I would have a far less volatile reaction to them. 

Edited by Sidral Mundet
  • Brohoof 2

Twilight doesn't seem exactly thrilled about it all, does she?

Actually, yeah, she kinda does. Notice how she subtly compliments Starlight for what a fantastic job she did mind controlling them by proudly proclaiming how powerful the spell was and that "they're going to feel that in the morning."

That's really quite infuriating to me, honestly. Not only does it show that Twilight does not really care that her closest friends were harmed by Starlight, but it also gives Starlight a chance to be pat on the back in spite of how wrong she was. 

• Brohoof 1

How could you people hate Zephyr? He's awesome.

For me, worst pony is a tough choice, though I'm gonna go with Braeburn. I can't figure out why, but he's just the guy I would love to give a proper pimp slap to. Ten rings on all fingers.

I am actually a bit of a Zephyr fan myself. I rather enjoyed his character.

• Brohoof 2

but she was still awful in Magic Duel (and don't try to say "it was the Amulet's fault", she chose to put it on for the sake of her own revenge on Twilight, so she gets no migitation from me)

Holy shit finally someone who feels the same

• Brohoof 5

Scissors loses against rock, eh? Maud, I choose you!

Nah, I think it'll be my last post, I want to avoid that :P

That and it's late.

1) It has never been an excuse, mind you. I very often see this leap of logic. It explains, it does not justify. What she did was clearly wrong, and she's now been given the chance to make amends. I find it great the show is going out of its way to tell its viewers "there's another way than jail". The "doesn't understand others" I never disagreed with, so... Moving on.

Yup, she was unhappy it didn't go as she expected. It genuinely didn't dawn on her that she'd been brainwashing ponies again - and this time, magically. In her mind, it was just: this way will allow us to take care of this faster. It's dead wrong of course, but simply freaked out, like other characters have and will. It's horrifying indeed, but now it's unlikely she'll resort to such heavy-handed methods...I hope. :awuh:

2) Starlight is different from Trixie in that Twilight understands why Starlight did that, but most importantly - Starlight chose of her own volition to stop her revenge plan. All the others took a rainbow blast to the face, Starlight voluntarily stopped despite having the upper hand. Imagine a child about to make some mistake like say shoot someone they don't like. But then, you manage to convince them not to. Would you punish them like some dirty criminal? Nah, you'd give them psychological counseling. And a slap to the wrist for good measure, because of our cult of punishment in our society. It's not double standards, the circumstances are different. At least, that's how I feel about this and facts seem to support this.

The other point, the Mane 6 were here because of the friendship lessons. To get to know Starlight better and to have Starlight get to know them better. That's the whole point. That's why I said "somewhat fair point". Getting into details, so I'll leave it at YMMV. However, that link compares it to Lesson Zero. So I ask: how was Twilight any different back then? Weren't all the inhabitants pieces for her to create a friendship problem? They were bruised and all, but nope, it was played for laughs and no one cared. Starlight does the same thing but to fewer people, and suddenly she deserves Tartarus or the death penalty??

Oh, and Twilight "joking" about it is a good way to have the other party not get on the defensive, because that'd block any possible conversation. Know that feeling when you did something bad and your parents are coming to you? That's the same thing. Some parents use that to have their child know that, it was bad okay, but they're on their side, they just want to understand. Twilight does just that, but is also shown not to know exactly how to react, as she switches between being mad and saying "I'm not mad". She just doesn't know how to handle Starlight and doesn't understand why she did that.

For Celestia, never said you were fine. I'm glad you're not, it's getting a bit overused now. But you said "Good characters do not need to make other characters look stupid in order to make them look good." and I simply pointed out it's not the first time this happened, far from it. But for some reason (namely it being Starlight), it's a big deal and just like everything else in this case gets blown out of proportion to make a case. That's why I said: if Starlight is a bad character because of this, then so are the Mane 6.

3) People like having 3 points, easier for them. So there you go :catface:

She is given a kind of special treatment though, I'll agree here, and I hope this will cease in the near future. This is harming her more than anything at this point. It's alienating people, I find it sad...

Anyway, I for one would like to continue this if you feel like it. I've watched your link and disagree with many points raised in it. If you don't wish to, I'll respect that of course. I just won't continue talking about it in this thread, that'd be derailing it too much. Hope you understand. :grin:

Actually, yeah, she kinda does. Notice how she subtly compliments Starlight for what a fantastic job she did mind controlling them by proudly proclaiming how powerful the spell was and that "they're going to feel that in the morning."

That's really quite infuriating to me, honestly. Not only does it show that Twilight does not really care that her closest friends were harmed by Starlight, but it also gives Starlight a chance to be pat on the back in spite of how wrong she was. 

Oh, I forgot I had quoted you as well... Welp, my point about parents doing that to engage in a real discussion with their child instead of it being a one-sided lecture is above. Just, don't think Twilight didn't care, she did and it's noticeable. Besides, it lasted 5 seconds flat. I counted.

• Brohoof 1

Ser Duncan the Tall

Okay last reply then

1) Going with the jail thing, it also eschew consequences, it gives off the idea that just saying sorry makes up for everything. It doesn't. Just feeling bad about doing something does not make it better. And it lessen character interactions. Going to Discord, he had to earn his place, gain trust, win support, Starlight just had all of those things handed to her.

As for the mind control, she was not offput about controlling them at all.

2) Then what about Discord? The same child analogy works equally as well with Discord. Discord gave up willingly yet Twilight constantly mistreats him and does not trust him. And for good reasons. Discord played mind games with the Mane 6 and Twilight held a grudge because of what he did and Discord had to earn his place, like I said earlier. With Starlight there's none of that, she's just instantly given trust.

So like I said they were only there to further Starlight, they had no internal motive or agency. And yeah at that point all the inhabitants were more or less background characters with only fan personalities attached to them, sans the CMC and maybe Big Mac. I never said Starlight should be overly punished but she keeps side stepping any consequences for her actions. Discord acts like a jerk, but doesn't do anything unbelievably horrible yet the Mane 6 sans Fluttershy distrust him. Sunset Shimmer was an exiled pariah who was even treated as an outsider among her friends. Luna was feared by many and had no idea about modern social customs. Starlight has never had to face up to what she's done. The only thing she's ever gotten was a mild scolding and then was let completely off the hook for whatever she's done.

With the joke, it lets go of any sort of resentment and that's leading to the poor character interaction, and making Starlight feel special, the ponies she interacts with don't react to what she's done, they let it fly. Having a character get mad, legitimately mad, hold some resentment or grudge against Starlight would do wonders for Starlight's interactions because it lets character interact normally with her, that they can have their own thoughts and feelings, their own agency and will. And with the parent thing, there's also the flip side, that sometimes a parent does need to be hard on their child, that there has to be a stick to the carrot.

While Starlight is a big deal with the season 6 finale, another thing is how people feel about the Remane 5 getting treated in the two-part stories. Ever since A Canterlot Wedding, the Remane 5 have been slowly pushed back into a corner with less and less screen time and impact on the stories, The Cutie Map being a exception. Now here comes a brand new polarizing characters and pushes them even further away. I mean their capture isn't even on screen and as one user said they are treated like Damsels in Distress. That can really rub people the wrong way as it did me. That these characters I've been attached are treated so poorly all so another character can shine grinds my gears. It is lessen with Celestia because while I do care about her, I have more of an investment in the Mane 6 and so my emotional investment is still with the lead. The same feeling does not apply to Starlight.

The link's not mine. I'm just using it to illustrate my point. Sorry if I mislead you into thinking that the video was mine. Also sorry if I'm misreading that and you already know that. It's late. And I do understand. But just to be clear that these are only, and only, my reasons as to why I dislike Starlight Glimmer, which is why I replied as such here.

Edited by Sidral Mundet
  • Brohoof 1

Zepher and Spoiled Rich. Spoiled Rich ruined Diamond Tiara and she's a completely bad parent living in a pool of ignorance thinking because Diamond is rich, she has to carry herself above others and belittle them. Zepher is just obnoxious...

EDIT 1: Svengallop...ugh...surprised no one mentioned this jerk of a manager. He thought he could just use Rara for his own and not give a care about it. Glad Twilight stepped in and showed him.

Zesty Gourme: Why is it that most pony celebs are depicted as snooty jerks who think that everything should be perfect?

Edited by C. Thunder Dash
  • Brohoof 1

I'm really surprised at all the comments I see in these discussions. Many characters are labeled "worst" for the wrong reasons. Personally disliking a character, realizing you wouldn't get along with them, or hating their popularity (all of which are fine) do not make them bad characters. They just personally aren't to your taste which is fine.

The others I see are antagonist-villain characters (of which nearly each of the main characters have played a part in at some point like Rarity was the antagonist in "Sonic Rainboom".) Some of these characters like Svengallop or (shudders) Spoiled Rich are designed to be detested in character. If you dislike them, that's good and they are good at being disliked.

Worst pony? Objectively without a doubt from a writer, characterful standpoint are these two: Snips and Snails together. Here's why:

qZF6VsU.png?1

1) They are so underdeveloped that they have to be side-by-side constantly.

2) They are so bland they require playing off of the episode itself. Basically vacuum characters like these only serve to be tools to the episode. Character plot devices.

3) They represent a horrendous and old cliché of the bumbling duo. The tall-skinny and short-stout doofuses. And they don't even play this cliché-trope very well.

4) They are gullible, clumsy idiots who serve as "henchmen" or secondary means of unlocking the climax; for Trixie, Diamond Tiara, and Sunset Shimmer. They fulfill the "surrounded by idiots" trope in this manner. Even the Diamond Dogs were somewhat admirable for their skills at digging, strength, rough determination, and durability.

5) They are obnoxious and annoying, and partly meant to be without trying. Their voices are irritable, pitched, and squeaky.

6) Unlike the fillies Diamond Tiara/Silver Spoon, they aren't much to look at. In fact, they are quite ugly in appearance. At least Fluttershy is cute, Spoiled Rich looks nice in the right light, and most other villains look cool.

7) They continue to fool around, have no special talents, skills, and never learn anything. When they do, they don't make any sense at all (Snails' recent Buckball feature... what the hay?) On top of that, they are never punished hard enough for their behavior. So we don't even get any satisfaction from their idiocy or mistakes because the karma never really comes.

8) Based on all the above, they have NO likable qualities, no redeemable qualities, are empty shell characters, and yet for some strange and odd reason, WHY IN ALL OF EQUESTRIA do they show up in the OPENING PICTURE??? At least put Vinyl Scratch and Derpy up there or something; why these two?

Edited by Chopsticks
  • Brohoof 1

More like brutally underrated, considering her sonic rainboom is the reason the rest of the mane six have their cutie marks, ensuring their connection was formed and thus preventing Equestria from turning into a lifeless wasteland, as evidenced by the Season 5 finale.

This is the only right thing she has done for six seasons.

• Brohoof 3

Rarity, because while looking like a marshmallow she is actually made of flesh and bones.

Huh? :huh: that doesn't make sense

If I were to choose my least favourite of mane 6, it would be fluttershy, but who says I even come close to disliking her?

• Brohoof 1

Mr Blue, I can't take you seriously when you're a Dash fan, sorry :I

"Your a Rainbow Dash fan, so your opinion is dumb"

Yup, that's fair

This is the only right thing she has done for six seasons.

Now your just doing it on purpose

• Brohoof 5

Rainbow may perform more significant stunts to save her friends but for me what has shocked me is moments where she has been so obscurely nasty and obnoxious. I really don't like the fact that she doesn't really care about many other things than pleasing people and being the best.

@Megas i was referring to the fact that I cannot take an arguement that Rainbow isn't a bad charecter from a fan, never said anyone was dumb.

• Brohoof 1

Worst pony is Spike, first he's not even a pony, and he's so stupid I want to hit him. I think he's more a dog than a friend, that's why he's a dog in EG !

So Spike is the worst pony because he is not a pony? That does not even make any sense.

I know you probably meant character, but the absurdity of your statement was impossible to pass up.

And I can hear all the Spike fans in the distance now getting their torches and pitchforks.

• Brohoof 2

Prince Blueblood.  TOTAL douchebag.

Would love to see Celestia swat his self-important flank to the moon.

• Brohoof 1

Now of course we all have different opinions, so let's try to keep control on this topic, OK? Can there be discussion over someone's choice? Yes. Flat out arguing without any real basis or saying they aren't allowed to have that opinion? No.

Sorry, I kinda misunderstood what you said there. It's my job to say what?

my guess: they didn't want it to get out of hoof

Edited by Ju88snow
  • Brohoof 1