Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think it's possible to find genuine friends on the internet

Tilgoreth

The majority of my friends I have made on the internet, so I'd say it's very possible. And I don't mean people that I sometimes talk to or say hi to, I mean people that have been nicer to me and others than a lot of people I know irl. I guess it depends on what you class as a friend, but in my own experience, the people I've met online are more genuine than the people I've met irl (not that everyone irl is fake or anything)

• Brohoof 2

Yes, a friend is defined as "a person whom one knows and with whom one has a bond of mutual affection, typically exclusive of sexual or family relations" by the Oxford dictionaries.

As we gain more and more ways to communicate with others, the methods engendering a friendship will increase as well. Don't discredit a concept just because it is not physical.

Edited by Hastur
  • Brohoof 2

The person I consider my best friend in the world is someone I met on the internet over 2 years ago, and we still talk to each other, do RP's together, and just hang out online almost every day. He's helped me feel better plenty of times, and I really hope I've done the same for him. I'm honestly closer with him than any "Friend" I've ever had offline. I think online friends can be just as genuine as offline ones.

My other friends I like to talk to are all online too. If online friends can't be genuine...Well then, I've never had a genuine friend, because I don't count my real life "Friends" at all.

• Brohoof 3

I met my boyfriend on these very forums, we have been together for over a year now and I love him with all my heart. I think that is a genuine friendship if I have ever seen one. Not to mention I have met many other friends online too, namely here. I still might not be great at socializing with them so I might not be the greatest of friends out there, but I consider them all true friends. ^-^

• Brohoof 4

In all honesty, no. I kindly request, have a good, solid view of this video:

Im sorry but I dont see how this proves anything. Yes, technology can be a bad thing, but many people, myself included make an effort to see this people face to face. We're not just words on a screen to each other, we care, we help, whenever anyone of my friends has a problem, I dont just read or listen without taking any notice, I do what I can, and the same goes for them. We go on video calls and audio calls as much as we can, we plan to meet up in real life. Maybe for some people they look at their facebook account and see that they have 400+ "friends" but I see maybe 10 that I consider to be some of the closest individuals in my life. I say this as someone who has pushed friends away and became a recluse at the start of his teenage years and needed a way out. I see becoming friends over the internet as a kind of starting point. Some people may get sucked in, and the video does a good job of saying that we need to look up from our screens, but just as much as looking down might mean you miss stuff, so will never looking down in the first place

Edited by Magistrate Mothra
  • Brohoof 5

I think it's possible although it would take an incredible amount of trust, honesty, and being absolutely genuine for an online friendship to work. If you and the recipient hit it off then you know you've got something, but you should still exercise caution until you're absolutely certain.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, it's possible without a doubt. Don't get me wrong, there are dangers and what not, but they are human.

My best friend lives in North Carolina, another best friend lives down south from me, and I've met 2 cyber friends in real life. One in the same country, but a different city and one from Sweden.

It's possible if you meet the right people. :D

In all honesty, no. I kindly request, have a good, solid view of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7dLU6fk9QY

I understand what your saying. What I meant by friends though was more someone you could talk about interests with and maybe occasionally have a slightly more meaningful conversation. Also just because you have friends in real life doesn't make them more genuine. Realistically you probably won't have a more meaningful chat than what your favorite movie is.

I think it's possible although it would take an incredible amount of trust, honesty, and being absolutely genuine for an online friendship to work. If you and the recipient hit it off then you know you've got something, but you should still exercise caution until you're absolutely certain.

Yeah I know. I wouldn't give out personal details until I met the person in real life.
  • Brohoof 2

I understand what your saying. What I meant by friends though was more someone you could talk about interests with and maybe occasionally have a slightly more meaningful conversation. Also just because you have friends in real life doesn't make them more genuine. Realistically you probably won't have a more meaningful chat than what your favorite movie is.

Yeah I know. I wouldn't give out personal details until I met the person in real life.

Oh. Sorry bro. In that case, talking with people online can be beneficial and make you feel much better about yourself. Having people say "Thanks" or "I love you" is more than enough to liven up your spirits in down times. However IMO the full power of emotion can be released through "real" physical talk and contact.

• Brohoof 2

Of course it is.  Some of the closest friends I've ever had, I met online.  You won't always connect the most with the people who live down the block or even in your own household; the internet allows you to reach out and potentially find people with whom you can connect on important levels.

• Brohoof 3

Of course! I found my best friend via the internet and it was the best thing that could have happened. Even if we live quite far apart, we can still see each other during the summer holidays as that friend comes over for about a week. There have already been three summers of doing that and I cherish those times.

We obviously have casual chats nearly every day, but there can also be some deeper conversations as well because we trust each other with that kind of personal information and I think that's exactly what genuine friends can do.  :)

Oh. Sorry bro. In that case, talking with people online can be beneficial and make you feel much better about yourself. Having people say "Thanks" or "I love you" is more than enough to liven up your spirits in down times. However IMO the full power of emotion can be released through "real" physical talk and contact.

I understand that but unfortunately I'm a very self consciousness person. Also I don't know how to start a conversation and to be honest don't always enjoy being around people. So I have kind of made it up in mind that if the only friends I have are online and non committal friends at that I'm okay. Everyone has to have some kind of relic even if it's not in real life. Though if possible I would like to have genuine friends whether in real life or online.

Im sorry but I dont see how this proves anything. Yes, technology can be a bad thing, but many people, myself included make an effort to see this people face to face. We're not just words on a screen to each other, we care, we help, whenever anyone of my friends has a problem, I dont just read or listen without taking any notice, I do what I can, and the same goes for them. We go on video calls and audio calls as much as we can, we plan to meet up in real life. Maybe for some people they look at their facebook account and see that they have 400+ "friends" but I see maybe 10 that I consider to be some of the closest individuals in my life. I say this as someone who has pushed friends away and became a recluse at the start of his teenage years and needed a way out. I see becoming friends over the internet as a kind of starting point. Some people may get sucked in, and the video does a gi think the pood job of saying that we need to look up from our screens, but just as much as looking down might mean you miss stuff, so will never looking down in the first place

I think the point of that video was to show that we have become shallow vapid by choosing to ignore reality. Personally I do think it is possible to make genuine friends online but not medically in the state it's in tight now. The internet would have to become more intimate to make it easier.

Of course it is.  Some of the closest friends I've ever had, I met online.  You won't always connect the most with the people who live down the block or even in your own household; the internet allows you to reach out and potentially find people with whom you can connect on important levels.

the gif below your post is awesome.

Yeah that's exactly what I thought.
  • Brohoof 1

Exactly. You need to take things slowly in order to ensure your own safety. Also, a Skype conversation wouldn't hurt as then you'd see who it is was you were talking to.

• Brohoof 2

Exactly. You need to take things slowly in order to ensure your own safety. Also, a Skype conversation wouldn't hurt as then you'd see who it is was you were talking to.

well that's not really an option for me right now as I live with people and would rather wait till I am no longer between the ages of 15 and 19'
  • Brohoof 1

well that's not really an option for me right now as I live with people and would rather wait till I am no longer between the ages of 15 and 19'

Wait until you're the age of 20 or 21.

• Brohoof 2

wait is there any specific reason for that.

I made that suggestion based on what you said regarding your current options. It wasn't meant to be taken as absolute but rather something to consider. I apologize if my words sounded confusing.

• Brohoof 2

I made that suggestion based on what you said regarding your current options. It wasn't meant to be taken as absolute but rather something to consider. I apologize if my words sounded confusing.

no I understand now thanks for clarifying.
  • Brohoof 2