Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think it's possible to find genuine friends on the internet

Tilgoreth

Possible, yes, but not as easily or as long-term as if you made them by actually seeing them on a regular basis.

Thank you for telling me that.

Yes it is... I've made plenty of friendships in person throughout my life, but never lasted long (except one). I became really close friends with my Xbox Live buddies, now 5 years later they're helping me with my YouTube channel, and our friendships are as strong as it'll ever be. We've even talked about us all meeting in person, and maybe even living all together, or near each other to make recording easier... hell one of them is now my girlfriend.

I really appreciate you sharing that with me.
  • Brohoof 1

Of course You can find genuine, real friends out there. I have my own friends over there who I trust a lot and hope to meet one day. But here I also have to say meeting part is pretty important. No matter how close You become to the other person online - meeting him/her changes a lot. Experienced it myself plenty times by now and so far it always was a good change that brought us even closer to each other and made understanding each other even easier than before.

Still answer is definitely YES. Only meeting the person is definitely recommended by dr. Hugo when there is a chance to actually do that. 

• Brohoof 1

Sure. Ever since I gave up Facebook, I made a few friends on the internet I can relate to.

Well Thanks for telling me that. Hopefully I can find friends.

Of course You can find genuine, real friends out there. I have my own friends over there who I trust a lot and hope to meet one day. But here I also have to say meeting part is pretty important. No matter how close You become to the other person online - meeting him/her changes a lot. Experienced it myself plenty times by now and so far it always was a good change that brought us even closer to each other and made understanding each other even easier than before.

Still answer is definitely YES. Only meeting the person is definitely recommended by dr. Hugo when there is a chance to actually do that.

Alright thank you for telling me that. Yeah if friendship ever became serious I would to meet them.
  • Brohoof 1

95% of the people I considered friends on the internet I no longer talk to, so I would probably say no, but I am sure it's happened for some peeps out there

Oh Alright. Thanks for telling me.

It is 100% possible! My best friends were made like that, on these very forum pages! Zaro, Dawn and Neon! They are the best friends I ever had ^_^

Alright Thank you for telling me.

Yes, I'm traveling to America the next year to visit a bro (no homo).

Cool story. But I prefer total homo.

Alright Thank you for telling me.Cool story. But I prefer total homo.

No seriously I have lesbians as my avatar.
  • Brohoof 1

My best Friend, that i have for Years now, is an Internet Friend.

So yes, im pretty sure you can have genuine Friends on the Internet.

Or at least, it worked for me.

In real Life, i also had some Friends, but no Friendship lasted that long and i have lost contact with all of them.

• Brohoof 1

It really depends to be honest.

While the internet has been used for less than ideal circumstances, it has been able to bring people from all corners of the world together that would have never communicated with each other beforehand, so I guess it would be possible.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I think so. Be careful about it though, because you could meet some real jerks online, which I have had plenty of. Just be cautious of who you relate with, I guess is what I'm saying.

I've been through 2 or 3 different communities where the staff and/or users are just so insulting and unforgiving of things, I've left or gotten banned from those sites. I've grown from those experiences, though.

• Brohoof 1

My best Friend, that i have for Years now, is an Internet Friend.

So yes, im pretty sure you can have genuine Friends on the Internet.

Or at least, it worked for me.

In real Life, i also had some Friends, but no Friendship lasted that long and i have lost contact with all of them.

Alright Thank you for sharing.

It really depends to be honest.

While the internet has been used for less than ideal circumstances, it has been able to bring people from all corners of the world together that would have never communicated with each other beforehand, so I guess it would be possible.

Thanks for sharing that. Thank you.

Yeah, I think so. Be careful about it though, because you could meet some real jerks online, which I have had plenty of. Just be cautious of who you relate with, I guess is what I'm saying.

I've been through 2 or 3 different communities where the staff and/or users are just so insulting and unforgiving of things, I've left or gotten banned from those sites. I've grown from those experiences, though.

Yeah but MLP forums seems to be pretty jerk repellent.

It is very possible, although not the ideal method. The advantage is that you're not stuck with what you're given in your current environment, you can meet all kinds of people that share your interests.

Personally, I've been in a Whatsapp group for almost 2 years, and all of us live in different countries, but so far I think our friendship is genuine, even if we just chat through text and voice messages.

• Brohoof 1

I have major trust issues, but yes, but it usually take me two years or more to  actually trust them. If i see their faces too (often when they sent multiple picture of themselves.) then i would trust them a bit more. I'm more of "face to face friend making" person. But overall, my trust for them is  not enough to tell them where I lived and such.  

you can never get too comfortable online or anywhere with anyone.

• Brohoof 1

It is very possible, although not the ideal method. The advantage is that you're not stuck with what you're given in your current environment, you can meet all kinds of people that share your interests.

Personally, I've been in a Whatsapp group for almost 2 years, and all of us live in different countries, but so far I think our friendship is genuine, even if we just chat through text and voice messages.

Thank you for sharing that with me.

I have major trust issues, but yes, but it usually take me two years or more to  actually trust them. If i see their faces too (often when they sent multiple picture of themselves.) then i would trust them a bit more. I'm more of "face to face friend making" person. But overall, my trust for them is  not enough to tell them where I lived and such.  

you can never get too comfortable online or anywhere with anyone.

Ok thank you for telling me that.

To an extent... It's different, though, of course.

Alright thank you for telling me that.

• 2 years later...

It is certainly possible to find friends on the internet, although there are pros and cons to it. It is much easier to find individuals who you share interests in, but a lack of physical interaction can pose as an issue to properly building a friendship. Not to mention the problems which varying time zones can create for one's personal schedule.

• Brohoof 1

I think the answer depends on the person you're asking. In my case I've learned that acquaintances over the internet can't compare to those I make in-person so they are doomed to be neglected and fall apart in the best scenarios and in the worst, consistently disappoint, fail to meet any personal expectations and subsequently dissolve. Others' experiences will vary, of course.

I think the internet has helped connect people with similar interests realize that people similar to them could be near by.  I'm a part of an LGBTQ+ knitting group on discord and it's helped me find people that're living somewhat near to me.  I also find genuine enjoyment with talking to people through discord or on here so yeah, I think you could make genuine friends online.  You never know who you'll meet online, that's a double edged sword.  Regardless, it isn't easy to make friends online but once you make them those friends could be in your life for a long time.  It's just like people you meet in the grocery store, the library or at events in your area, not all of those people are going to be in your life forever, or even just be a friend, some people just come and go and that's just life.

I believe that true friends can be found anywhere. My sister met her boyfriend of one year on Match or E Harmony (one of those online sites) and we all love him to death. He is such a great person, especially for my sister.  

Personally, I have met many good friends on the internet. The problem is that you never REALLY know them, unless you actually try. It takes time to become great friends over the internet. In the end, it can be worth it. Sometimes friends IRL are hard to talk to and confront, but over the internet, it's almost like you can tell them anything. That's the best part of friends online. Honestly, I wish I had more online friends. :mlp_yay:

• 3 months later...

I know from experience, that absolutely you can. I've met so many amazing friends on the internet, and it's even where I met my boyfriend. 

Edited by Lucky Bolt

On 12/17/2018 at 11:12 AM, Guest said:

I think the answer depends on the person you're asking. In my case I've learned that acquaintances over the internet can't compare to those I make in-person so they are doomed to be neglected and fall apart in the best scenarios and in the worst, consistently disappoint, fail to meet any personal expectations and subsequently dissolve. Others' experiences will vary, of course.

I'm gonna quote myself here and expand a little. I have a couple of friendships that have lasted around ten years with people from the internet but haven't really made many if any since then. If for whatever reason I were to fall out with those people though, I don't think I'd be all that upset. I run that scenario through my head a lot and I feel like it's just because they're talking avatars that you have common ground with and not people you share experiences with in person. I think you could make a lasting friendship with people you don't meet, but it's very difficult to make happen- at least for someone like me.