Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who do you like: Starlight, Sunset, or both?

NeonCobalt

103 users have voted

1. 1. Who do you prefer?

• Starlight Glimmer
    • Sunset Shimmer
    • I like them both.

If there's one thing I'd like to say though, the topic is about "who you like", not "who you prefer". I prefer Starlight yet I voted "both" because I also like Sunset and can't just dismiss her. So if you're struggling to decide which of the two you should vote for, just pick the "both" option. ;)

I did pick that one! Each have their on separate charms for me. 

PS: I share your concern for Sunset. Last film was enjoyable and all, but I found Sunset was lacking. Unlike Twilight who's having trouble being a good mentor, Sunset just picked that role up instantly and didn't show any kind of self-doubt s to whether she's entitled to do so given her past actions and so on, no over-confidence either because of how she's saved the day twice now - which would link with her past proud self.

I think Twilight's pretty boring in the show right now, so if Sunset doesn't even have the few things keeping Twilight from being entirely bland, that's a real cause for concern. 

• Brohoof 1

Sunset shimmer. HARD. This is like being asked "Do you like Prime rib or do you like cold potted meat?" As far as I'm concerned. Sunset shimmer has an enjoyable personality, isn't a COMPLETE Psychopath with zero cognition of her actions on those around her, has actual EXISTING chemistry with the other 5 of the group besides twilight, and is far easier to accept as having reformed due to legitimately working hard at it, even if its HARD, every time she shows up. she never started Going OCD insane and started running away from her past, she Tackled it head on.

Further, Sunset has a good backstory to explain her magical skills (being Celestia's old protege), and isn't set up as Super god mode level at magic from what we've seen.

Now, this may make me sound like I'm a giant Sunset fan: I'M NOT. I Actively DISLIKED her in Friendship games and overall don't rank her anywhere near my Number 1 character. But compared to Starlight? Hell, DAMNED, she beats the living crap out of that purple colored abomination--- I can enjoy Sunset in her appearances and find her a good addition to things when she shows up even if she's not my favorite, while Starlight is like a Turd floating in a pool as far as I'm concerned.

• Brohoof 1

Aww and here I thought you'd be happy Rarity got her first fan. :proud:

Rarity's got the biggest names in Equestrian fashion as her devoted admirers and three very successful boutiques... flattery by imitation doesn't really stack up against that. :P

Rarity's got the biggest names in Equestrian fashion as her devoted admirers and three very successful boutiques... flattery by imitation doesn't really stack up against that. :P

In fact, I always thought of her new mane as Rarity's work. Like, "this mane simply won't do" and hops onto the job with obvious glee as she gets to play with another pony's mane again. :P

• Brohoof 2

I like both, but I prefer Starlight.

I mean, Starlight at least feels like the same character she was before she was reformed, while  Sunset feels like she's a completely different character than she was when she was evil.  

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

They're both great as they both of them did a complete 180 in their lives just so they can be saved from the worst. Sunset and Starlight both have acknowledge their fears and mistakes and that would be nearly impossible without friends. Reforming isn't always the easiest task but they both have a great set of friends to watch their backs.

• Brohoof 1

They're both great as they both of them did a complete 180 in their lives just so they can be saved from the worst. Sunset and Starlight both have acknowledge their fears and mistakes and that would be nearly impossible without friends. Reforming isn't always the easiest task but they both have a great set of friends to watch their backs.

Twilight in particular is of great help...even though she kinda fails at times. It's hard both for Twilight who had to guide them, as well as for them to accept their own mistakes try and change themselves - and oh boy is that last part difficult! Reforming someone is probably easier than that someone reforming - having to face their mistakes, the others, keeping this heavy burden that they'll forever be unable to erase... You can only admire Sunset and Starlight both for holding up despite the pressure, and their friends are to thank too.

Still, we're lucky Twilight has never been the one needing redemption, who knows what would have happened.

activias_by_luminaura-d7xncfr.png

I have to say Starlight, because Starlight is a pony who could take over from Twilight as the series protagonist, she has the personality and the appearance of an interesting pony plus she reminds me of Unicorn Twilight in the first 3 seasons, also whenever they say Season 7 is focused on the Mane 6, that's where I think they're wrong because they are like pie crusts, thin and easily broken. They can easily change it to make Starlight as the new main character if they wanted to.

As for Sunset, I don't think of her the protagonist of the series, just another member of the Humane 7.

I can't help but wonder why you seem so convinced that this is going to happen. It seems extremely unlikely to me. 

There's a time where things need to be moved on, besides the finale just showed that it's possible that it's her show now, also Friendship is Magic is the name of the show, which means it doesn't have to relate to the Mane 6.

They can say Twilight is still the main character all they like but until the first episode airs, it's just words right now.

I like them both; pretty much equally now thanks to the S6 finale. Honestly while I can understand the consternation some had with Starlight, one must remember the consternation that existed in regards to Sunset, albeit for different reason before Rainbow Rocks. They both have had VERY intriguing and emotionally strong stories to tell, and I fell all the more happy to have seen them.

tumblr_ofhdl1Xa4a1r0eiszo1_1280.png

• Brohoof 1

There's a time where things need to be moved on, besides the finale just showed that it's possible that it's her show now, also Friendship is Magic is the name of the show, which means it doesn't have to relate to the Mane 6.

They can say Twilight is still the main character all they like but until the first episode airs, it's just words right now.

I agree that the mane six are pretty much finished, and that's why I want next season to be the last. 

But giving the show to Starlight out of the blue makes no logical sense. Exactly how would that transition happen? So long as she's still hovering around Twilight and living in her castle, I can't see her branching out to replace her as main character. 

Furthermore, she's still quite polarizing, as opposed to the unanimously-loved Sunset. Personally, I still can't help but see Starlight as a sociopath who's simply pretending not to be. 

I agree that the mane six are pretty much finished, and that's why I want next season to be the last. 

But giving the show to Starlight out of the blue makes no logical sense. Exactly how would that transition happen? So long as she's still hovering around Twilight and living in her castle, I can't see her branching out to replace her as main character. 

Furthermore, she's still quite polarizing, as opposed to the unanimously-loved Sunset. Personally, I still can't help but see Starlight as a sociopath who's simply pretending not to be. 

I'd rather have her than the same mane 6 that are mostly always the focus. 

• Brohoof 2

Remember that Sunset used to be as well. She went from hated to polarising to loved by most. So far, Starlight has been hated on, then polarising now. Who is to say she will not be loved by most next? Also, Sunset is further ahead redemption-wise. It's like comparing the first attempts after the design phase to a finished product. Not exactly fair.

As a redeemed villain: Sunset Shimmer. I like her mane design and her voice. Even as a non-pony, she's still a pretty enjoyable character. :)

(I have mixed feelings about Starlight. There's just something about her voice and her new bangs that reminds me of a soccer mom and that's just... meh.)

As an antagonist: Starlight Glimmer. She was a badass villain... She came up with a sophisticated plan that caused a lot of drama, while Sunset... Well, she pretty much just stole a crown and forced Twi to take part in a pageant (or whatever that yawn fest was.)

Who is to say she will not be loved by most next?

That probably won't happen if she continues forcefully exerting power over others and damaging her goodwill. 

That's the thing about Sunset. At least when she started building up goodwill after her rushed reformation, she never really fell through on it. Starlight has, and yet we're still expected to love her anyway.....for some reason. 

That probably won't happen if she continues forcefully exerting power over others and damaging her goodwill. 

That's the thing about Sunset. At least when she started building up goodwill after her rushed reformation, she never really fell through on it. Starlight has, and yet we're still expected to love her anyway.....for some reason. 

I actually enjoyed her short relapse. It was meant to make people angry at her. It's not as easy as one might think to reform. The end though didn't quite manage to do what it was supposed to do, especially the 5-10 seconds per Mane 5 character to "bond". Without dialogue. Yeah, that wasn't too well handled. That said, give her some time and I'm pretty sure she'll prove her goodwill is the real deal, like in the finale.

• Brohoof 1