Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private "All that Shines" (1x1 RP between Platinum Gear and Raven Rawne)

Raven Rawne

@@Orange Sparks,

"Hmm, guest house it is. if it really is a guest house... this place looks kind of odd to me. And if they did things here as other ponies do, the guard house is in the Keep, level one. Don't know about the treasury though, many keeps don't have one at all..." Since Clare gave her an odd look, she explained. "I used to visit quite a few in my time, mostly with my dad as he went about his business and visited his vasals and such. Seems like every noble wants a castle in here."

Crystal Clear walked towards the "guest house" entranace and tried the door. Locked. "Always the hard way, eh." She grumbled, then rammed the door, shield first, putting her whole weight into it. The door gave in at second attempt, falling off the hinges in fact. Crys slowly walked inside, shield raised and saber ready. It was rather dark inside, since the windows were covered with dust and vegetation. She waited for Clare to come inside as her eyes began adjusting to the dark.

@@Raven Rawne,

Clare nods and walks in "odd, this place is almost..immaculate, void of dust, as if it's protected by magic" she says as she looks around the guest house and found nothing of real worth, a few bits of silver and gold, some old jewelry and some silver cutlery.  she sniffs the air "Smells like there's some kind of magic in here" she notes then remembers something "I wonder if this was built before or during the century long war? You know the one we learned about in History?" she asks "The one that was started by my crazy great, great, great grandfather?"

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@@Orange Sparks,

"You know, it IS rather strange, yes... Hard to believe nopony's been poking around, or animals for that matter. There should be rats in here, or at least some traces of them..."

The pair searched through the building, mindful of their step on the ancient floors. They sond some valuables, but nothing extroardinary. Once they met again by the door, Crystal had some coin, but not much, a few shiny baubles and a silver chandelier, all stufed into a pot she found upstairs. Seeing Clarissa hadn't had much more luck, she put her fings on the neatby table and sighed, then flickered her tail several times in a futile attempt to get the dust out of it. "Wow, what a haul Clare, we're set for life! If we die tomorrow that is..." She then thought about what Clarissa said, about the war. "Well I din't know, those coins bear the symbols I've never seen, so maybe they are so old indeed... Wait, how do you know it's magic? All I can smell is dust and rotten wood."

One last glance on their combined treasures, and she pacjed it all inside the pot.

"I guess we leave those things somewhere by the door, maybe in a cabinet, and look in the other building. What do you think?"

Edited by Raven Rawne

@@Raven Rawne,

Clare nods "We can research the symbols when we get back to the Academy" she says as she  places her small haul with Crystal's "It smells metallic and staticy" she says with a shiver "But it's old magic, father told me about this kind of magic, and lets hurry, this place is beginning to give me the chills" she says, shivering once more as if she were cold, she opens the door and looks around nervously and cautiously "lets go" she says.

But as they begun walking towards the other building, Clare couldn't get rid of the feeling that they were being watched, and she was right as a voice echoed throughout the courtyard "Who dareth disturbs thine slumber?!"

• Brohoof 1

@@Orange Sparks

Crystal didn't smell anything Clarissa mentioned, but then, she was the one with a wizard in the court, so it made sense she could learn done way to detect magic...

"Aye, let's get a quick run on the other building and get moving. This place... it looks like ponies who lived here went on a trip one day and never returned. Even the beds are made,  and wardrobes are full and..." Crys was rudely interrupted by a booming voice that seemed to come from everywhere at once. The mares instinctively made a defensive formation, with shields high and backs to each other. Crystal Clear looked around, frantically, but saw nopony. It had to be the magic Clare mentioned. She said very quietly over the shoulder.  "What do we do? Should we make our way towards the gate?"

@@Raven Rawne,

"We assert our authority" she says lowly then bellows "I am Princess Clarissa Sommerskies and this is my companion Lady Crystal Clear of House Eisengard! We demand you show yourself!" she bellows out in return to the voice.

There was a loud cackling and a shuffling "Sommerskies? Eisengard? My, my , my, those are two names I haven't heard for over a century" the voice calls out as a robed figure emerges from it's hiding spot. "I'm sorry Princess and Lady, but I bow to nopony, there is a reason they branded me an outcast and a warlock" he says with a somewhat gleam in his eyes. "But tell me, what is a Princess and a Lady, doing in my keep dressed in full plate armor as if they were going to war?"

• Brohoof 1

@@Orange Sparks

Crystal Clear was... yeah, she was scared. They were caught by the pony who lived here, apparently, and he was obviously versed in the magical arts but the most disturbing was that he said "over a century". Ponies don't live that long! So why she had a feeling he wasn't lying? The figure stood in the window on the third level of the keep. She couldn't tell much more, since he was far away and hidden in shadows.

"We are cadets of the nearby Academy, where we learn to protect this land. We got lost and separated from our troop when we stumbled on this place." She asserted loudly and with a raised visor,  trying not to show fear. "If our presence is uncalled for and we are not welcome, then we'll take our leave."

@@Raven Rawne,

The figure chuckles and uses his magic to levitate himself down to the ground, from up close he looked like a normal pony, though it was mostly a mirage of sorts "Hmm honesty from both the Sommerskies and Eisengard families? That's a change, as well as respect.." he shakes his head "Tell me Princess.." he says, looking directly at Clarissa "why are two ladies like you in the Academy and not all dolled up, attending Court events?"

Clare pulls a face, "We hate the whole court thing, having all those nobles brownnose us hoping to get higher up on the ladder,  all that political stuff is just soo..boring" she says "I'd much rather be able to lead an army of knights should the need arise" she says.

He chuckles again "My, haven't the times changed, when I was..around, ladies weren't even allowed near the knights unless a knight was courting them...but also tell me, what had become of the Mad Prince?"

Clare looks to Crystal "He died during that needless and bloody war. He was soon stricken from the family tree and my family tries not to remember those days too much, but I must ask, was he always crazy or did something happen?"

The figure sighs "He was once a kind and benevolent king, but one day he just suddenly changed and become well tyrannical, I should know, I was once his most trusted friend and adviser..You say you have good intentions  but I have a test to tell the truth" he says as he begins to lower his staff to their hearts. "Should you pass the test, you are welcome my treasury and armory, should you fail, I will  take you out of her and erase your memory of this place"

• Brohoof 1

@@Orange Sparks

The crystal pony was put of her element,  but she knew how to fake confidence. She stood on guard when the figure lowered himself on their level and had a chat with the Princess, but got ready to shove her out of harm's way once the warlock lowered his staff.  Realising he's offering a test, not painful death - at least not yet - she answered. "I accept the challenge." She looked at Clarissa and nodded to her, then braced for whatever this pony would throw upon them...

@@Raven Rawne,

Clare nods "I too accept this test of yours" she states with bold confidence in her voice.

The figure smiles behind his hood and touches the tip of his staff to Clarissa's heart "I sense  turmoil in your heart..you are torn between two duties.. The duty to your father and kingdom, to marry a lord's son and to rule over the kingdom with him, But you also have a duty to your heart, to be with the one you truly love with pure and unadulterated love..to love..." he looks to Crystal "this mare right here, the one who has been there for you since you were a foal" he nods and bows his head "But despite this turmoil, I sense no darkness, no corruption, I sense a heart of love, light and life, one who would protect her kingdom no matter the odds.." he nods then looks to Crystal "Now, lady Clear, it is your turn" he says "let us see your heart" lowering his staff to her heart..

• Brohoof 1

@@Orange Sparks

So far do good, she thought to herself. It seemed Clare has passed, but as the warlock approached her, she felt uneasy being so close to him and his staff.  Still, she lowered her shield and let him do run his test by placing the tip of his staff over her heart, pointing squarely at the coat of arms on her breastplate and the Crystal Heart necklace beneath it. Sheet took a deep breath as she awaited his judgement.

@@Raven Rawne

The mage lowered his staff to her heart and closes his eyes "hmm.. I see pretty much the same turmoil. You want to be loyal to your father and the country you come from, but you too want to be loyal to your heart..." he humms for a little bit "I see you're utmost loyalty to the Princess, you would be there for her no matter the risk, no matter what happens.. You'd put your own life at risk if only to save hers" he says and opens his eyes "and once again, I see no darkness or corruption, i see only life, love and light.." he smiles "Very well you have passed my test, and trust me, it is not an easy test," he says as he waves his staff and a trail to both the armory and the treasurey appeared "I will let you take what you want, then leave without any alteration to your memories"

Clarissa bows slightly "Thank you ser sage, I am glad we were able to pass your test" she says and smiles as he smiles at her and lets them pass.

• Brohoof 1

@@Orange Sparks

She passed. That was a relief, even if she had no reason to doubt she wouldn't.  Tests and exams always made her nervous...

Crystal bowed her head in respect towards the mage. "I thank thee for your fair judgement." She then turned towards the one her heart belonged to. "Where do you wish to start?"

@@Raven Rawne,

The mage's image then disappeared and Clare looks around "I think we should start with the armory, if there any special weapons, armor or shields, we should take them, they would be very useful in the future"  she says, following the trail to the armory "then we can look through the treasury" she says with a swish of her tail. 

"I knew that label of Warlock was wrong, the court mage told me how to detect whether there was dark magic or not, and I couldn't sense it at all, and I totally agree with the mage we just met not wanting any part of that unnecessary war"

• Brohoof 1

@@Orange Sparks,

"Crys nodded and smiled. "Alright, lead the way, brave leader." The pair followed the trails inside the keep.

"I'm no expert in magic, so I take your word for it, Clare. What I do know is weapons and armor, however, so I'm eager to take a look at whatever he has in there. Just... I think that if we find something we like, we shouldn't take it right now. The other cadets will start a treasure hunt and pick this place clean..." She mused over her dilemna as they aproachedd the keep door, and found them slightly ajar. Crystal opened them with minimal effort and, as usual, walked inside firts to make sure it's safe.

It was, unless you're allergic to dust.

They were on the Hall level, meaning that in front of them was the netrance to the Great Hall, to the left was probably the kitchen. Both trails led to the right however, and they followed them into the staircase where they finally separated - one led up, one down.

"The armoury must be downstair, by the guard chambers. Watch your step okay?" The stairs were made of stone, but the layer of dust could be tricky. As expected, they were led one lever lower into the guardhouse, and found simple beds for about twenty ponies, wardrobes and the like. This wasn't the end however, since the path led to another room, blocked by heavy reinforced door. Fortunately, the key was inside the lock and with a simple twist, they were open in no time. The mares saw racks of halberds, axes and bows, mail hauberks and simple helmets, enough for the small garrison and then some. The wood and leather looked rather good, surprisingly enough.

Crystal Clear walked to the nearest rack and took one of the axes. "Hmm... the shafts would need to be replaced, just to be sure, but the metal is in pristine condition. No rust, the edge is still keen... I bet the royal armoury would pay nicely for all this, even though they need to refubrish this and that. The metalwork is really good. Take a look deeper in, maybe they kept something special too."

@@Raven Rawne,

Clare nods and whistles at the wide range of armor and weapons "One thing I don't understand, is why would the mage have all of this? Or maybe he found this place while it was intact and just put wards on certain areas to keep a secret" she says as she goes over to a a medium weighted bastard sword. She lifts it up and swings it "It swings like a brand new blade" she says as she gently runs a finger along the edge "sharp as ever" she notes then looks at the inscription "Dragon Blade," she reads aloud "Hmm.. I think I remember something about a old hero by the name of Dragon Sword.." she says then puts it back on the rack "This is a special blade that nopony else should wield" she says being respectful of the lore behind it and goes to find another blade.

• Brohoof 1

@@Orange Sparks,

Crys moved towards the armor racks to take a good look at them. She inspected the hauberks, since they could still turn a profit. "Hmmm... The mail is in very good shape, and as far as I can tell, it's of good quality too..." She said to Clare: "I don't know really, but the latter sounds like an option. Raising this keep would take a year at the very least. it would also explain why everything is left undisturbed like this - he could get rid of the occupants and use only what he needed, leaving the rest to gather dust..." The mare walked deeper into the armoury, noticing the Dragon Sword Clarissa tried on just a moment ago. "Maybe we should bring it to the royal vault? it's a piece of this country's history, after all..."

Crystal Clear walked aimlessly amidst the weapons and armor, inspecting various items out of curiosity or to asses theit value and usability, but nothing caught her eye just yet.

@@Raven Rawne,

Clare nods "Good point, I believe he was a distant ancestor of mine as well, so father might actually know more about it than me" she says with a smile and leaves it for the time being and goes to check the leather and armor (this'll be when she finds the leather armor I showed you earlier), as her eyes fall on a certain armor set, she whistles and tries it on, at first it was a bit of a lose fit but then a light mist covered it and it fit her just right "Oh wow, I think this was magically enhanced to fit whoever was worthy to wear it" she says and does a few turns in it "It feels so light yet so durable, I have so much freedom of movement" she says as she then takes it off to put her Academy armor back on and places it with the Dragon Blade.

She then goes to some other bastard swords and whistles "So many to choose from" 

• Brohoof 1

@@Orange Sparks,

Crystal Clear shifted her attention towards the other mare, since apparently she saw something interesting. the crystal pony observed as Clarissa tried on the leather armour, and had to wipe her eyes from disbelief when it seemed like it adjusted to her frame. Turns out, id did. "Clare, you just hit gold with this one. I mean, you look great in it, qyite frankly, but such enchantment would raise it's value many times over, should you decide to sell it later. Heart, it's probably worth more than my whole getup!"

One stand finally caught her attention, somewhat hidden in the corner. "Hmm, that looks interesting." She approached to take a better look - it was plate armor, but not a full suit like theirs. It was apparently meant to be worn with chainmail, or at least a very sturdy gambeson underneath, but on the upside, it would be lighter and allow better mobility... Crystal didn't even bother trying it on, since it was meant for a large stallion, but the constructional principles were intriguing. She tapped her chin and said to herself. "I bet old Master Vice Grip would love to get his hands on it... Clare, I'd like to bring this one to Raven's Nest and show it to my blacksmith, okay? This set is fairly interesting and I bet an artist like him would be inspired, maybe even make me one like it."

@@Raven Rawne

Clare nods "we will see, it certainly fits better than our Academy armor, that's for sure" she says as she swings and tests out the blade she found "Alright, medium weight to hold but light to swing, pristine sharp edge, nice hilt, and the guard has a nice and sturdy design to it as well" she says and picks it up with the scabbard, placing with the armor and Dragon Blade. 

She smiles at Crys and nods "Of course, it's been a while since I've been to Raven's Nest" she says "I could get the court mage to look over the enchantment, see if he could try to replicate it" she says as she looks around for more armor or weaponry "I think anything that truly stands out should go to the Royal Armory and anything with an enchantment should go to the court mage to look over, save for what you think Vice Grip would like to look at"

• Brohoof 1

@@Orange Sparks

Crystal Clear listened to her marefriend as she inspected some more gear. There was a lot of good stuff, yes, but she was too attached to her own weapons to make a switch. Mainly because Vice Grip made it all for her according to style and fashion of her long lost homeland... And partially because he was very talented in his craft, so his products were of great quality. Nevertheless Crys decided to send that one armour to him. She had a hunch he would learn something from it, since it was clearly of foreign origin.

"Alright, looks like you have a nice pile in here. And I thought the royal court gets the best stuff... We'll have a break for Summer Sun Celebration in a few weeks, so I figured we can send a letter to Opal Hill, let them send somepony trustworthy with a few wagons and extra hands. Once the break starts we'll come here and pick the place clean. Sounds like a plan, Clare?"

@@Raven Rawne

Clare nods "Sounds like a plan" she says while stifling a yawn and moving on "We should probably leave the treasury until then as well" she says and then thinks on what her friend had said "We usually do, but nothing as enchanted like the armor" she says then looks to the sky "Looks like we've been here for hours, we really ought to get going to the rendezvous, they're probably set out with a search party by now"

• Brohoof 1

@@Orange Sparks

Crys wasn't finished with this place just yet. "But can we just take a glance at the treasury? Who knows how long these trails will last and I just want a peek to assess how much we earned. Can we see it, pleeeease?" Okay, the crystal puppy eyes were a bit excessive, but the adventure just wouldn't be complete without a treasure!

@@Raven Rawne

Clare smirks and then nearly faints from the cuteness "Hnng, come on Crys, you know I c-can't resist it when you do that!" she exclaims then nods "Very well, but we shouldn't stay longer than necessary,  even though the mage was...well kindly in a way, and even gentle, this place still gives me the chills" she says as she looks towards the trail heading to the treasury "In all honesty, I feel a lot of the treasury should go towards the citizens, I always feel bad that we live in a life of luxury at home and they struggle just to make ends meet" she says. Despite her disliking of inheriting the throne in the future, she knew it was inevitable and that she wanted to be a good and just Crowned Princess, meaning she wanted her subjects to be happy and well looked after.

• Brohoof 1

@@Orange Sparks

Crystal Clear was very satisfied with her marefriend's decision. "Yes! You're the best Clare!" She then hugged the other mare so hard, one could think that if not for the armor, she would break her ribs. Realising that, Crys let go and grinned sheepishly. "Sowwy... I couldn't resist, you know. I uhh... let's go to the treasury, shall we?"

The mares left the armory and Crys closed the heavy door and took the key in order to prevent any surprises in their absence. The pair went up the stairs to follow the trail towards the treasury. It led them to the fourth floor and into the Lord's chambers. They didn't go inside the private rooms however, since the trail led them towards another pair of heavy doors, this time reachable from the corridor. As previously,  they were slightly ajar and had had a key inside the lock.

"Let's see if your subjects are in luck then. I like it how you actually care for them, you know. Most of my father's vassals are content with just collecting taxes and governing the towns and villages, but they wouldn't spend a dime on actually helping their people..." She opened the door just wide enough to enter, and for once led the other mare in first. The keep was safe it seemed.  Unless you're allergic to dust that is. Once the princess was inside, the countess followed suit.

The vault wasn't big, but rather... proportionate to the rest of the keep. Crys noticed with satisfaction that there were quite a few big chests inside,  as well as things resting on the shelves, like a richly decorated dagger with a diamond in it's hilt, for example. But one thing quickly caught her attention. Something she would never, ever suspect to find here.

"No. Way. This can't be..." Crystal Clear approached one of the shelves and took something off it, then shook it to remove all the dust. A faint, white light shone inside the vault.  She was holding a crystal, long and narrow, about as long as the middle finger of an adult pony and as thick as one too. It was set into a golden cap on one end and fashioned like a necklace.  What was unusual about it was that it shone on it's own, not just reflected the light. A glow-crystal from the long lost, ancient Crystal Empire.

She turned around to show it to the other mare, grinning.  "Look Clare! Look what I found! It's a real glow-crystal from the Empire! Well it's set in gold so it's an Equestrian export but still! I can't believe it! Can I keep it pleeeeeeease?"