Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Are We Entering A New Dark Age Of Cartoons?

OmegaBeamOfficial

Just because PPG2016 and TTG exists means fuck all. Cartoons are much more better now than they were in the dark days of 2007-2009

• Brohoof 2

Is Uncle Grandpa REALLY that bad?

I never said it was bad. Just that it's ending. Though I will say that I don't like it. Some people do, though. I do recommend checking out We Bare Bears and Clarence. I think those are pretty good. I've also been enjoying Mighty Magiswords (though I will say that the pacing could be slower).

• Brohoof 1

Just because PPG2016 and TTG exists means fuck all. Cartoons are much more better now than they were in the dark days of 2007-2009

I hear ya, but a lot of the good cartoons we have now are ending soon. Sure right now It's just a couple of dud shows, but what if that expands? Cartoon network seems to be going in a pattern of reviving shows to get money from nostalgia without putting in nearly as much effort, It's not just those two shows, they've continued to do it since with Ben 10, I have a feeling eventually the channel might get overrun with these kind of shows.

I never said it was bad. Just that it's ending. Though I will say that I don't like it. Some people do, though. I do recommend checking out We Bare Bears and Clarence. I think those are pretty good. I've also been enjoying Mighty Magiswords (though I will say that the pacing could be slower).

I may check out We Bare Bears but I'm not sure about Clarence, I've seen ads and trailers circling around and it doesn't look like my kind of show. Though I've not seen MM either, I feel like people should cut it a little slack, you can't really pace your show when you're restricted to 10 minute episodes.

Though I've not seen MM either, I feel like people should cut it a little slack, you can't really pace your show when you're restricted to 10 minute episodes.

Well, the pacing is quicker than other 11 minute shows.

• Brohoof 1

Any examples for that, because I can't think of any.

I said the pacing was quicker than other 11 minute shows. Not really sure how to give examples there. You said you haven't seen Mighty Magiswords. So do you have any idea what the pacing on it is like? The best way I can describe it is that everything moves faster than in other shows (that I've seen at least).

• Brohoof 1

I don't really think there is such a thing as the dark ages of cartoons (especially now and forward). If you look at one network or something, yeah maybe so.. but when you consider all the networks we currently have, all the independent stuff, the webshows, all the stuff you can find on Netflix or Hulu or whatever, all the DVD sets of old shows you may like or have never even tried and are curious about... there is just a wealth of cartoons out there still waiting to be discovered.

I think if you find yourself in the dark ages you are imposing it upon yourself.

To be fair some of their live action movies aren't half bad.

They aren't half good either.

• Brohoof 1

I said the pacing was quicker than other 11 minute shows. Not really sure how to give examples there. You said you haven't seen Mighty Magiswords. So do you have any idea what the pacing on it is like? The best way I can describe it is that everything moves faster than in other shows (that I've seen at least).

Well, compared to shows like Adventure Time, Steven Universe or Regular Show etc. how different is the pacing.

I don't really think there is such a thing as the dark ages of cartoons (especially now and forward). If you look at one network or something, yeah maybe so.. but when you consider all the networks we currently have, all the independent stuff, the webshows, all the stuff you can find on Netflix or Hulu or whatever, all the DVD sets of old shows you may like or have never even tried and are curious about... there is just a wealth of cartoons out there still waiting to be discovered.

I think if you find yourself in the dark ages you are imposing it upon yourself.

They aren't half good either.

Yeah, but the independent stuff needs money to keep going, and with no-one around to support it, the shows are eventually gonna die out quite quickly. I do see a market for streaming service exclusive shows however, but I don't think it should replace regular television. Netflix and Amazon Prime for example have some damn good exclusives here and there, and they have something that caters to everybody. Also, not really relevant, but while all the DVD's of shows around are great, everywhere other than America gets the short end of the stick when it comes to that, I should know.

The only bad one I can think of is Avatar...

I don't really have a comment on most of that since the only Disney Channel show I watch is Gravity Falls, and that's over so... Meh. I will agree that Big Hero 6 sounds exciting.

Too late to say that.

Powerpuff Girls Reboot

Ben 10 Reboot

Samurai Jack Reboot

Actually as a matter of fact, that video partially inspired me to make this post in the first place, so yeah. I love me some Saberspark.

You forgot the ReBoot reboot. :P Although, I think Samurai Jack is more a continuation than a reboot. From what I've seen, it continues the story of The Samuraiiiii, rather than retelling it.

• Brohoof 1

I don't really know what else to tell you, so I'll post a clip instead.

Ah, I see what you mean now.

You forgot the ReBoot reboot. :P Although, I think Samurai Jack is more a continuation than a reboot. From what I've seen, it continues the story of The Samuraiiiii, rather than retelling it.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one, mind you, I never watched the original so I guess I didn't follow up on it much, I've only seen the first couple teaser pictures for the reboot.

• Brohoof 1

I agree with the others here. Most of the current cartoons will at least have a couple more seasons. And even if western animation dies there's always animie.

I agree with the others here. Most of the current cartoons will at least have a couple more seasons. And even if western animation dies there's always animie.

• Brohoof 1

I'm still not fully convinced we ever came out of one...Well, that's not exactly fair, I think the general quality of cartoons this past while has gone up after the "Dark Age", but most of it wasn't really my cup of tea. I love MLP of course, and after a few tries of watching it I've finally fallen in love with Steven Universe too, so there's that. Gravity Falls was pretty entertaining from what I saw, but I just didn't get into it as much as others seem to have...I should give that series a full watch some day.

Guess I'm saying, if we entered a new dark age I probably wouldn't even notice. But at the least MLP and SU both seem like they're sticking around for a while, and a few good shows can be the light in the darkness. :)

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one, mind you, I never watched the original so I guess I didn't follow up on it much,

Also, just have to say, I'd really recommend checking out Samurai Jack. I saw episodes of it here and there back when it was on and thought it was cool, but never really sat down and watched it fully. Since the revival is coming soon I figured I should do that, and I just got through season 1 and it's great! It holds up really well, and has a unique style all it's own you don't see in other cartoons.

Edited by BasementGlimmer
  • Brohoof 2

I love anime myself, but it can't replace cartoons I feel. Besides, let's keep the anime and cartoon industries separate, anime is doing just fine on It's own, there's a plethora of content there.

I'm still not fully convinced we ever came out of one...Well, that's not exactly fair, I think the general quality of cartoons this past while has gone up after the "Dark Age", but most of it wasn't really my cup of tea. I love MLP of course, and after a few tries of watching it I've finally fallen in love with Steven Universe too, so there's that. Gravity Falls was pretty entertaining from what I saw, but I just didn't get into it as much as others seem to have...I should give that series a full watch some day.

Guess I'm saying, if we entered a new dark age I probably wouldn't even notice. But at the least MLP and SU both seem like they're sticking around for a while, and a few good shows can be the light in the darkness. :)

Also, just have to say, I'd really recommend checking out Samurai Jack. I saw episodes of it here and there back when it was on and thought it was cool, but never really sat down and watched it fully. Since the revival is coming soon I figured I should do that, and I just got through season 1 and it's great! It holds up really well, and has a unique style all it's own you don't see in other cartoons.

I was actually referring to ReBoot when I said that, but maybe I'll look into Samurai Jack as well, while I was aware of it and had seen a couple of episodes, I've not seen the whole season. I mean, we noticed in the late 2000's, I don't think we wouldn't notice here. These kind of shows are the Luna to our Nightmare Moon.

I was actually referring to ReBoot when I said that, but maybe I'll look into Samurai Jack as well, while I was aware of it and had seen a couple of episodes, I've not seen the whole season.

Ah, my mistake then. My recommendation still stands, the first season alone has had quite the impressive impression on me.

I mean, we noticed in the late 2000's, I don't think we wouldn't notice here. These kind of shows are the Luna to our Nightmare Moon.

Oh, I have no doubt others would notice, just that I myself may miss it. I didn't notice it back when the dark age was supposedly ending, as shows like Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Gumball weren't really shows I got into despite people seeming to like them, so to me it was like not much had changed outside of MLP.

I imagine for me it might be the same if another dark age begins, I won't notice it until I see others complaining about it. :please:

• Brohoof 1

Ah, my mistake then. My recommendation still stands, the first season alone has had quite the impressive impression on me.

Oh, I have no doubt others would notice, just that I myself may miss it. I didn't notice it back when the dark age was supposedly ending, as shows like Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Gumball weren't really shows I got into despite people seeming to like them, so to me it was like not much had changed outside of MLP.

I imagine for me it might be the same if another dark age begins, I won't notice it until I see others complaining about it. :please:

True, I suppose if you're just sticking to a couple of good long running shows, you kind of miss that sort of thing.

Not everyone that's into western animation is into anime.

• Brohoof 1

It's too early to say that now. It feels that way because a lot of pioneers of this decade are ending or have ended (Adventure Time, Regular Show, Gumball, Gravity Falls). There will always be good and bad cartoons in every decade. Hell, even the fairly lackluster 2000s had some diamonds like Avatar and Phineas and Ferb.

As for Cartoon Network? Well, I won't call it doomed, rather, it's future is in limbo. Most of their shows are entering their final seasons, and very little has been said about future shows. There's still time for them to pull surprises, but it does paint a questionable future for them. Well see what they bring next year when OK KO, Twelve Forever, and Infinity Train get greenlit (the former two of which are basically garuenteed, while the latter is still up in the air). So no, I don't think we're entering another Dark Age, especially since Mighty Magiswords and Milo Murphy's Law just premired.

• Brohoof 2

Well see what they bring next year when OK KO, Twelve Forever, and Infinity Train get greenlit (the former two of which are basically garuenteed, while the latter is still up in the air).

I do hope Twelve Forever gets greenlit (haven't seen OK KO, so I can't comment on it, been meaning to though), but what makes you say they're guaranteed?

• Brohoof 1

I do hope Twelve Forever gets greenlit (haven't seen OK KO, so I can't comment on it, been meaning to though), but what makes you say they're guaranteed?

Remember that image that leaked on Toonzone with what looks like, a finalized version of the Twelve Forever cast? That tells me they're doing something with it. As for OK K.O., well it's been semi-leaked to have a show in development from the voice of KO. Ian-Jones Querty also isn't working on Steven Universe anymore.

Cartoon Network has also talked about introducing new properties through means other than a straight to TV series before, that's how Mighty Magiswords got greenlit. So the mobile game and the shorts are likely part of that initiative.

• Brohoof 1

It's too early to say that now. It feels that way because a lot of pioneers of this decade are ending or have ended (Adventure Time, Regular Show, Gumball, Gravity Falls). There will always be good and bad cartoons in every decade. Hell, even the fairly lackluster 2000s had some diamonds like Avatar and Phineas and Ferb.

As for Cartoon Network? Well, I won't call it doomed, rather, it's future is in limbo. Most of their shows are entering their final seasons, and very little has been said about future shows. There's still time for them to pull surprises, but it does paint a questionable future for them. Well see what they bring next year when OK KO, Twelve Forever, and Infinity Train get greenlit (the former two of which are basically garuenteed, while the latter is still up in the air). So no, I don't think we're entering another Dark Age, especially since Mighty Magiswords and Milo Murphy's Law just premired.

I suppose we do need to wait and see.

Remember that image that leaked on Toonzone with what looks like, a finalized version of the Twelve Forever cast? That tells me they're doing something with it. As for OK K.O., well it's been semi-leaked to have a show in development from the voice of KO. Ian-Jones Querty also isn't working on Steven Universe anymore.

Now I recognize you. I do remember that image, but RegularCapital then said that Cartoon Network Studios is known for people to have their own art on display, so I don't know. It could mean it's being picked up, but it could just be an art display (hoping for the former). Didn't know it was semi-leaked for OK KO to be in development. I am aware that Ian-Jones Querty left Steven Universe, so that could be a sign.

Edited by PinkiePie97
  • Brohoof 1

I've partially changed my mind about this because I've realized there's a plenty amount of shows I'm following now: MLP, Miraculous Ladybug, Star VS, Voltron and Milo Murphy. However I think it's opportune to precisize something: it's REALLY unprobable that Star is gonna go onward its S3, since Disney usually trends to end its show after that amount of seasons, Milo Murphy might be at risk of cancellation already because its first episodes' rating have been DISASTROUS, and of course like I've pointed a lot of times, I'll gonna quit MLP after its Movie the next year... so probably Voltron and Ladybug are going to be the onky shows I'm gonna watch beyond the 2017.... and right now the only upcoming show I'm interested in it is the Big Hero 6 show... so I might have a lot to watch now, but in a year I might not have almost anything to watch anymore, so it's better I enjoy what I have now, instead of thinking about what I won't have then...

• Brohoof 1

I've partially changed my mind about this because I've realized there's a plenty amount of shows I'm following now: MLP, Miraculous Ladybug, Star VS, Voltron and Milo Murphy. However I think it's opportune to precisize something: it's REALLY unprobable that Star is gonna go onward its S3, since Disney usually trends to end its show after that amount of seasons, Milo Murphy might be at risk of cancellation already because its first episodes' rating have been DISASTROUS, and of course like I've pointed a lot of times, I'll gonna quit MLP after its Movie the next year... so probably Voltron and Ladybug are going to be the onky shows I'm gonna watch beyond the 2017.... and right now the only upcoming show I'm interested in it is the Big Hero 6 show... so I might have a lot to watch now, but in a year I might not have almost anything to watch anymore, so it's better I enjoy what I have now, instead of thinking about what I won't have then...

One thing I want to mention, if I recall correctly the last big Disney cartoon receiving a lot of praise was Gravity Falls, and Disney didn't just cancel that show on a whim, the actual reason for cancellation after Season 2 was it was the creator's wish. Not much related, but my point is shows aren't always axed because of the companies themselves. You're quitting MLP next year? Well, I can respect that, but... Why?