Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think about the older generations

DreamFluff878

The older generations definitely relied a lot on gender stereotypes given how back then it was seen as a social norm, but then I also see generation one as being full of nostalgia. It was the generation that started MLP and while it hasn't stood up to the test of time, it still has its admirers.

• Brohoof 4

They're great! :grin:

The G1 pony toys are especially adorable and I always try my best to check through the local thrift stores in hopes of finding some. G2 is something that I'm not that familiar with and I haven't owned any toys from that generation either. They're still cute and I'd like to have some in my collection. G3 was the generation I grew up with so the toys naturally have a nostalgic effect on me. G3.5 is something that isn't to be talked about.

I'm not entirely sure about them being demeaning to women though as I haven't watched the older generations' episodes. There are some G3 stuff I've seen but that's about it.

Funny this topic came up.  Netflix recently added a bunch of MLP vids from 2004-2010, which I suppose is the previous version before FIM.  They're not bad except for Twinkle Wish Adventure, which was too childish for my taste.  

It was interesting to see some of the FIM crew in these vids, namely Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash and Spike, portrayed so differently.

• Brohoof 2

G1 has great toys and a fun fantasy adventure show

G1 Tales is slice of life. It's not something I watch anymore, but still has a place in my heart

G2 I don't own any of the toys. So I can't vouch for their quality.

G3 The show being the worst thing ever is blown away outta proportion. I haven't watched much, but it's simply a bit bland and saccharine. The toys are gorgeous and highly varied. It's not all pink and flowers, ponies come in every color, including black,(Art Pop pony Black and Blue) gray (Velvet Bow) and red (Comic Con Super Hero pony). The symbols are full of variety too, from skis to angels, tropical fish, cats, candy apples, bails of wheat, leaves, smoothies, sea shells, bowls of soup. I just love them.

G3.5 I personally don't like them or the toys.

Newborn Cuties is pretty bad.

Funny this topic came up.  Netflix recently added a bunch of MLP vids from 2004-2010, which I suppose is the previous version before FIM.  They're not bad except for Twinkle Wish Adventure, which was too childish for my taste.  

It was interesting to see some of the FIM crew in these vids, namely Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash and Spike, portrayed so differently.

Other way around. They came first. 4 doesn't come before 3 on the number line.

Edited by Leave a Whisper
  • Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

I like My Little Pony N Friends, it was a good Show with a very good drawing Style and interesting Plots.

But i like My Little Pony Tales a little bit more, i like that the Ponys this time, just live a normal life and try to deal with Teenager Problems, its very cute and also has a very good Drawing Style.

G2 had a Good Game, also with good Animation. I liked it.

The G3 Movies and Shorts, were mostly cute, but just a little boring, There were not terrible though. ( at least for me they werent. )

G3.5 had a Good Direct to Dvd Movie, which i thought was a little better, than most G3 Stuff, also with a cute Style.

The G3.5 Shorts were....bad. Not just boring, but the Animation looked cheap, i specially remember, that in one of the 2 Specials, their mouths didnt even moved correctly while talking.

It seems, that the Series got cancelled and the second short was never fully finished.

The G3.5 Shorts were....bad. Not just boring, but the Animation looked cheap, i specially remember, that in one of the 2 Specials, their mouths didnt even moved correctly while talking.

I think you're talking about Newborn Cuties, which isn't quite the same as the rest of G3.5. G3.5 had 2 shorts in the same style as Twinkle Wish Adventure (Sweetie Belle's Gumball House Surprise, Pinkie Pie's Ferris Wheel Adventure), but Over Two Rainbows and So Many Ways to Play, which based on what you said are what I'm guessing you saw, are part of Newborn Cuties. I'm a bit confused on how this works myself, so apologies if I said anything wrong.

Edited by PinkiePie97
  • Brohoof 1

I think you're talking about Newborn Cuties, which isn't quite the same as the rest of G3.5. G3.5 had 2 shorts in the same style as Twinkle Wish Adventure (Sweetie Belle's Gumball House Surprise, Pinkie Pie's Ferris Wheel Adventure), but Over Two Rainbows and So Many Ways to Play, which based on what you said are what I'm guessing you saw, are part of Newborn Cuties. I'm a bit confused on how this works myself, so apologies if I said anything wrong.

Youre right, i mean the two Shorts Over Two Rainbow and So many ways to play.

I wasnt quiet sure, how many normal Shorts they were, i only remembered one of the normal ones. 

Sweetie Belles Gumball House and Pinkie Pies Ferris Wheel Adventure were okay i guess, even though i dont really remember.

Never could get into them. It just didn't appeal to me since it seemed more aimed towards girls than this generation - this generation, while definitely aimed towards young girls, can seem to aim towards anyone. Maybe that's just because of the fandom I've seen, though...

Well, they were product of their time, but I haven't watched any of them. What little I might now however is:

First G1 cartoon was an average 80's cartoon, but ponies suffered of being generic in favor of Megan who was an audience surrogate 

second G1 (MLP Tales): is a stereotypical preteens show

G3 shows: stereotypical little girls show

I have no love-hate towards generations two, three, and 3.5 of MLP given I never invested any time towards them--and because they were barely aired on television. Generation one, on the other hand, I have some slight experience with though it's restricted mainly to Escape from Nightmare Tower due to watching it on YouTube a couple of years ago. I'm willing to give generation one a shot because of the nostalgia that surrounds it.

I have no love-hate towards generations two, three, and 3.5 of MLP given I never invested any time towards them--and because they were barely aired on television. Generation one, on the other hand, I have some slight experience with though it's restricted mainly to Escape from Nightmare Tower due to watching it on YouTube a couple of years ago. I'm willing to give generation one a shot because of the nostalgia that surrounds it.

Just a small thing: It's Castle, not Tower.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I love the past generations. And I was surprised to see a lot of cast for FIM being in the past gen shows. Like Cathy Weseluck being the singing director for mlp tales or that the voice or the voice of Starlight Glimmer was also in mlp tales. But some people tend to forget without the previous gen there would be no gen 4.

Edited by PrincessOfCompassion
  • Brohoof 4

I love the past generations. And I was surprised to see a lot of cast for FIM being in the past gen shows. Like Cathy Weseluck being the singing director for mlp tales or that the voice or the voice of Starlight Glimmer was also in mlp tales. But some people tend to forget without the previous gen there would be no gen 4.

The "Brony" fandom was built on degrading the past generations and sweeping them under the rug. Take it from someone who has been watching this fandom since it started. The older toy collecting MLP fandom is much more friendly to older generations.

• Brohoof 5

• 3 weeks later...

The first generation was the best of the older generations, as it was not as childish or "sugary" as the second and third, but rather innocuous, yet deep and dark at times. It, especially Rescue at Midnight Castle, was more like something for a fantasy movie, such as "The Last Unicorn".

The "Brony" fandom was built on degrading the past generations and sweeping them under the rug. Take it from someone who has been watching this fandom since it started. The older toy collecting MLP fandom is much more friendly to older generations.

I know about the brony fandom's vehement hatred of G3 (especially G3,5). Can you show us some more examples about their attitude towards G1 and G2? Thanks.
Edited by HorsesandMOARGaloar
  • Brohoof 4