Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think about the older generations

DreamFluff878

(edited)
On 3/26/2018 at 10:35 PM, The Whiteraven said:

Yeah I’ve seen more and I can see that. I do however think that G1 is the best old series imo. The ponies were cute including the 1986 film. I’ve found that in G4 the ponies just seem to be older and most of the mane 6 feel like women instead of baby ponies and even the cmcs don’t act as childish compared to the originals. I still don’t like G3 or 3.5 as they are quite bland compared to the styles of things like my little pony n friends.

I don't really get adult women from the main six, I get a teenager vibe from them, MAYBE 18-20. Or they're sort of written more in a perspective of how children would see/view adults. A lot of the storylines, sure, as adults we can watch the G4 cartoon and enjoy it but it does come across as a kids cartoon, with adult ponies who look like adults but it's more of how a kid would see an adult. But then again, this opinion is coming from someone who is in her 40's so I'm probably jaded in how I view most cartoons now. As much as I enjoy friendship is magic, it's reached a point in the last year to year and a half where I don't particularly care if I miss an episode or not. 

Edited by KarentheUnicorn

On 3/25/2018 at 7:57 PM, Momento Mori said:

I have never watched, nor do I play to watch any of the other generations. I have seen photos and clips and just, no, the art is terrible, the animation is cheap, and the toys just tip the uncanny valley for me. So no thank you. The marketing ploy was not only obvious, but it was slap you in the face with a tuna obvious. I think I'll go with a little less obvious pandering, if I have to go with pandering at all. But this is Hasbro so be prepared for it.

I'm sorry, but what? No seriously, WHAT?  The art is friggin fantastic

! bg1.JPG.c7b9f168da769dec0de32f1e2b5fa0f7.JPG

bg2.jpg.bb0cfe5428ffc0c33d30b50df32cf3c0.jpg

bg3.jpg.a1951cc7d2196897238318928af58cee.jpg

bg4.jpg.f573cedab2450bb2db64edc15e897f4b.jpg

• Brohoof 1

22 hours ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

I'm sorry, but what? No seriously, WHAT?  The art is friggin fantastic

! bg1.JPG.c7b9f168da769dec0de32f1e2b5fa0f7.JPG

bg2.jpg.bb0cfe5428ffc0c33d30b50df32cf3c0.jpg

bg3.jpg.a1951cc7d2196897238318928af58cee.jpg

bg4.jpg.f573cedab2450bb2db64edc15e897f4b.jpg

I should have been more clear. The ponies. Not the background art. Yes, admittedly the backgrounds are highly colourful and have some creativeness to them, but the ponies; not so much.

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly, I never watched the past generations, but from the YouTube videos, pictures, and other sources.

1. The face looks creepy

2. They look like fat horses

3. The scene is too girly?

4. They resemble the creepy toylines

13 hours ago, Kevin_Tang said:

2. They look like fat horses

OMG! Ponies that actually look like Ponies!!??

What madness is this!? Cartoon ponies and toys that

actually look like the animal they're meant to look like...

Yea, we were so craaazzzyyy back in the 80's and 90's.

• Brohoof 2

19 hours ago, Kevin_Tang said:

Idk but I don't like the body size, they looked fat to me, even though they resembles real ponies in real life

You must love G2 ponies then (LOL!) or sweetheart sisters from G1, or Flutterponies from G1. None of them are what you seem to be referring to when you say they look 'fat' to you.

(edited)
11 hours ago, Kevin_Tang said:

They look fat right? Like the body is too big and their head

Also, I looked at the G2 one, yeah they are much better than the last generation

maxresdefault.jpg

Actually, as far as toys go, G1 is far superior than the G2. They do not look fat to me, they look like ponies to me...but your idea of fat is clearly your own idea. What you are saying is fat (meh). It's someone drawing the ponies as well, the above image is not the toy.

The artwork you provided, From left to right, Glory (One of the original G1 unicorns), G1 Sprinkles (winged pegasus that was sold with waterfall playset and also later sold as a mail order), G1 Lickety-Split, and G1 Majesty (sold with the Dream Castle playset and later also sold as a mail order).

Sweetheart Sisters are G1, but they are in a different body mold than what you see in the above artwork, they were never on the cartoon so you would clearly be unaware of what they look like unless you actually did a google search. Flutter Ponies as well do not look like G1's, they are in a different body mold as well, are smaller and had super fragile wings which were quite pretty.

The G2 toys are actually my least favorite toys besides the G4 toys. Much like G4 toys they are not as well made as the G1 and G3 toy line.

Needless to say, when talking about My Little Pony, you really need to separate the discussion with me. I don't put a lot of stock in the cartoon, it's more like an accessory in how I view MLP. I know the G4 fans are 100% into the cartoon but I'm the exact opposite. I'm a more tangible person and a collector of the toy. As far as quality goes, style and variety of toys you cannot get any better than the G1 line. The quality of the G4 toy line is terrible compared. I've owned all generation of MLP. I rate the brand based on the toyline. G1 is first, G3 is second, and I'd have to give a tie to G2 and G4 in last place.

Edited by KarentheUnicorn

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

My opinions are all on the cartoons since I never have the toys.

G1 was sweet. And the concept of unicorn magic was definitely interesting though can be seen as similar to FiM. With mildly deep stories here and there. And the mix of humans and ponies is something that younger me can find really nice.

Tales was likable. The kind of story is something that I can find enternaining, yet not delve too deep into it/invest too much time putting things and theories together. I do enjoy things like that occasionally. Plus they have pony aliens! Those was unexpected.

G3 is my favourite and I am glad I was curious enough to look into it despite what most say. The desings are bright and colourful. And the characters are beautiful, design and personality wise. And background is so well drawn. The story itself is light, happy and adorable with some lessons that are more... serious? So to speak. Like responsibility in Runaway Rainbow. Plus the music! I love it to bits and peices.

G3.5 is something else. Looking at it from a child's mind, I think it would be fine. The story is simpler (I don't have too big of a problem with this) and the rest of the citizens seems to be mostly absent. Plus I have a personal grudge against it. The chibi is well, a chibi and younger version of 3.5 and is not too different I think. Although the whole Cheerilee being Scootaloo's sister was nice. And the later's friendship with Sweetie Belle caused by their young age. 

New born Cuties is well. In it's defense it probably was a toddler show. I might like it when I was a kid, colouful and moving. Though I have only watched an episode.

FiM is what dragged me into ponies and that is mostly because i was older (12 I think) and know that I can look things at the internet (plus defy my mother's orders) The animation is totally different. Not quality, style. The colours are was I call more bright like a printer with new ink. And the story of friendship is what mostly got me, along with the Elements of Harmony. The design is new and somewhat varied, from Celestia's super height to Cadence and Twilight's not-so-tall-but-kinda and all the way to the fillies. But what madee lose interests is mostly the gerneral, but not all, fandom's attitude and the absence of the Element themselves (though it was slightly brought back with S7's finale)  and kinda like the moral? I won't dwell on the last one since it might clash with and offend almost all of the fandom. But in a sense of wold building, it did brilliantly. With myth-like history and lands out of Equestria. 

From the reactions of G1 I have watched, I enjoy it. The ponies are very sweet and it has adventure. Though I do miss some pony characters that are never seen again after one episode (R.I.P. Firefly), and I found the two other children besides Megan to be really annoying for some reason. Maybe because it felt like they were trying to shove their way into the story. I would've preferred it'd be more special to only have one human appear through the whole series.

I wouldn't say the My Little Pony Tales is terrible. It's watchable, but I find human life very boring.

I actually really enjoy G3, maybe more than G1, because for the fact it doesn't have much plot. It is quite relaxing to watch and the atmosphere is cute and sweet. I will agree that at some points, the ponies don't look the best, but as long as they're at least decent, I'm not going to judge how someone looks. Though this show also has the habit of making characters disappear (I really would want to see how Sweetie Belle and Star Song would react to seeing more ponies like them), it's still has more consistent characters than G1. These ponies are even more innocent and sweet than G1 because they have never known evil or violence. They live in a beautiful, peaceful world. I'm sometimes envious of them. If there was one fictional world I would choose to live in forever, it would be this one.

• Brohoof 2

I've collected gen 1-3 toys for as long as I can remember. As a little girl I loved them, and would have my Star Trek action figures ride them. G1 and G3 are sturdy toys that have a satisfying size and amount of hair for a little kid. G2 is the cutest gen, as far as toys, in my opinion, albeit with the least amount of variety in poses and symbols. 

Generations before G4 always remind me of Dragon Tales. The fancier art style and surface-level stories kinda blend together, although, AFAIK, G1 had one or more pretty compelling villains.

But, really, given that G4 is almost entirely sourced from previous generations, and given how much we all like G4, could they really have been bad at all?

Edited by Arkadios

11 hours ago, Arkadios said:

Generations before G4 always remind me of Dragon Tales. The fancier art style and surface-level stories kinda blend together, although, AFAIK, G1 had one or more pretty compelling villains.

But, really, given that G4 is almost entirely sourced from previous generations, and given how much we all like G4, could they really have been bad at all?

I loved Dragon Tales as a kid. Too bad the episodes I've rewatched as an adult didn't age well due to being crammed into 10 minute episodes. At least G1 MLP had multi part episodes. 

1 hour ago, Khoufu said:

I loved Dragon Tales as a kid. Too bad the episodes I've rewatched as an adult didn't age well due to being crammed into 10 minute episodes. At least G1 MLP had multi part episodes. 

I agree, Dragon Tales is firmly a relic of 2005 for me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I LOVE the past generations! I grew up with G3 so I'm very familiar with it and G3 will hold a very special place in my heart. I also collect G1 ponies, and have seen at least two of the specials so far. 

G2 is the only gen I'm not familiar with at all. 

• Brohoof 1

On 5/9/2018 at 9:31 AM, KarentheUnicorn said:

Sweetheart Sisters are G1, but they are in a different body mold than what you see in the above artwork, they were never on the cartoon so you would clearly be unaware of what they look like unless you actually did a google search.

I'm ashamed to admit I wasn't even familiar with them before reading this post. My G1 toy knowledge is still foggy, but I'm beginning to get into them (G3s have been my favorite for quite some time). But OMG. Sweetheart Sisters are downright gorgeous and I now must have them all!

I was aware of the great variety in molds in G1, though. Like Pony Bride, which I do have, is very different from the "standard" G1's and the Sweetheart Sisters.

• Brohoof 1

They were okay but mostly the show was boring and its weird that there is no boys ponies. One thing I always been wondering that, how are the ponies born cause there are no boy ponies.

And the films was more kid-ish, but duh they were for little girls and not for grown ups.