Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

2fbt3Uq.png

"Alright, let us make this as quick and painless as possible.  My sister insists on forcing social interaction upon me, and the sudden and ruthless way in which she has implemented this reform of my perfectly organized schedule has left me in a sour disposition.  Go ahead then, ask about myself or my work, but do not waste my time."

(( Unless stated otherwise, all art used in this thread was commissioned from ask-ickle-mod.tumblr.com ))

Howdy. What is your name? What is your main field of study?

"Of course, an introduction typically involves...an introduction.  You are free to blame my current consternation for this.

"My full name is Soft Zoisite apo Koroundio.  Since I was ten, I have been studying Planar Physics.  I have never attended a college, and however you may view that, I have no interest.  The written word conveys much more absolute meaning than the regurgitated utterings tinged with bias that you will find at any scholarly institution."

• Brohoof 1

Oh, physics? The boring rules of how everything works... I must say I have  a habit of breaking those... I do like the quantum physics though. They are so random and fun!

Edited by Missklang
  • Brohoof 1

Oh, physics? The boring rules of how everything works... I must say I have  a habit of breaking those... I do like the quantum physics though. They are so random and fun!

nSMsaum.png

"...I assume that you are a corporeal spirit of chaos, then?  Allow me to express my utmost contempt for your unjustifiable existence.  You and avant-gardists vex me to the point of tempting homicide.

"It is ironic that you assume that quantum physics is completely random.  This is not true.  The probability of a particle appearing in one location can be predicted via wave function, and even though they maintain the appearance of dissonance with our relative reality, they are still bound by the laws of thermodynamics."

• Brohoof 1

@@Hazard Time,

Oh, no, you confuses me with Discord. I'm not a corporeal manifestation of chaos. I would love to, but sadly no. You know, I will tell you a secret. I like logic and laws of nature and physics. I studied them, understanding how they work. Because when I know how something works and should act,  I can use my magic to bend it so it don't work anymore. After all, everything in the universe is governed by numbers. Everything can be explained with maths and laws. Don't you agree? I just enjoy so much making things behave how I want them to. If everything is numbers, I could do something as simple as to change the value of one supposed "constant" and enjoy the crazy results. I could perhaps say I'm some sort of rebel. It's quite hard to explain to some ponies that I am, so similar to Discord and do chaos with magic, thinks that the "random" doesn't exist and prefers cold logic to emotions that don't allow clear reasoning ^_^ 

Edited by Missklang
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

@@Hazard Time,

Oh, no, you confuses me with Discord. I'm not a corporeal manifestation of chaos. I would love to, but sadly no. You know, I will tell you a secret. I like logic and laws of nature and physics. I studied them, understanding how they work. Because when I know how something works and should act,  I can use my magic to bend it so it don't work anymore. After all, everything in the universe is governed by numbers. Everything can be explained with maths and laws. Don't you agree? I just enjoy so much making things behave how I want them to. If everything is numbers, I could do something as simple as to change the value of one supposed "constant" and enjoy the crazy results. I could perhaps say I'm some sort of rebel. It's quite hard to explain to some ponies that I am, so similar to Discord and do chaos with magic, thinks that the "random" doesn't exist and prefers cold logic to emotions that don't allow clear reasoning ^_^ 

oscXeNV.png

"You...bend the laws of reality to your whim?  You monster.  You absolute, irredeemable ingrate!  Do you have the slightest idea of the forces you are messing with?  Do you honestly believe that the laws of our universe exist to be broken?  They are what give our universe structure, that prevents the atoms in our relative space from decoupling, from stemming the inevitable stagnation caused by ultimate entropy!  Please find the nearest plane gate out of my reality and into the next one, or better yet, make your own damn pocket reality, as I no longer have any desire to share this plane with you."

Edited by Hazard Time
  • Brohoof 1

@@Hazard Time

Thanks for the compliment. Don't worry, I got some common sense. I don't want to destroy one of my favourite worlds. It's not like I'm foolish enough to accidently turn every molecule of water in acid or something. But in small doses, in a controlled environment that I am able to perfectly restore, it has too much potential research interest. After all, I want to know how my magic is able to do stuff like reverse gravity, or instantly terraform the moon into cheese. And, I don't usually change the laws of reality. I more often use my knowledge to create an illusion of the laws being bent or use it to actually do something that seems impossible. Like for example, I don't need to bend laws of reality to change my eye colour. I can simply use magic to rearrange the DNA sequence to do the desired effect. It's just a matter of knowing what you are doing. And don't you see? Eventually, this universe will suffer a heat death. The ultimate entropy state in which atoms will no longer be able to create anything. And if I'm still around, I can make stuff happen back... Probably... Anyway, I mostly research pony reactions and their psychology by making them experience certain things. It's quite amusing too! And how did you know I had a pocket reality? Eh, nevermind. It's not fun there. Since I'm the one who created it, I have no limitations and have infinite power over it. It's extremely annoying and boring when your every thought get immediately summoned...

• Brohoof 1

"My full name is Soft Zoisite apo Koroundio.  Since I was ten, I have been studying Planar Physics.  I have never attended a college, and however you may view that, I have no interest.  The written word conveys much more absolute meaning than the regurgitated utterings tinged with bias that you will find at any scholarly institution."

What interests you so much about this topic? Why do you prefer the static written word over the dynamic spoken word? I would assume that both are equally biased, even though the written word may conceal this slightly better.

What is it that you want? What do you desire in life?

• Brohoof 1

@@Hazard Time

Thanks for the compliment. Don't worry, I got some common sense. I don't want to destroy one of my favourite worlds. It's not like I'm foolish enough to accidently turn every molecule of water in acid or something. But in small doses, in a controlled environment that I am able to perfectly restore, it has too much potential research interest. After all, I want to know how my magic is able to do stuff like reverse gravity, or instantly terraform the moon into cheese. And, I don't usually change the laws of reality. I more often use my knowledge to create an illusion of the laws being bent or use it to actually do something that seems impossible. Like for example, I don't need to bend laws of reality to change my eye colour. I can simply use magic to rearrange the DNA sequence to do the desired effect. It's just a matter of knowing what you are doing. And don't you see? Eventually, this universe will suffer a heat death. The ultimate entropy state in which atoms will no longer be able to create anything. And if I'm still around, I can make stuff happen back... Probably... Anyway, I mostly research pony reactions and their psychology by making them experience certain things. It's quite amusing too! And how did you know I had a pocket reality? Eh, nevermind. It's not fun there. Since I'm the one who created it, I have no limitations and have infinite power over it. It's extremely annoying and boring when your every thought get immediately summoned...

"In the interest of not bursting a blood vessel, I shall restrain myself from responding to you any further.  I hope to never speak to you again."

What interests you so much about this topic? Why do you prefer the static written word over the dynamic spoken word? I would assume that both are equally biased, even though the written word may conceal this slightly better.

What is it that you want? What do you desire in life?

Vl1Fg8J.png

"Put simply, I find it...beautiful.  Elegant.  Perfect.  There is no ambiguity, no error, no unforseen consequences that you encounter in other schools of magic.  It is math, pure and simple, a language incorruptible by mortal beings.  It is perfection given form in a way that never fails to surprise me, and I am forever infatuated.

"The spoken word, however, is imperfect.  Words only have the meanings that we give them.  A word in one dialect means something else in another, and I have no time to bother with such petty differences.  Whenever a pony speaks, they are speaking their own words, filled with their own meaning.  There are tones, undertones, body language, sarcasm...all distracting from the lesson they are trying to teach.

"What do I desire?  I do not know.

"...

"...A name perhaps.  My name on a wall.  My name in a book.  In a journal.  To have my papers peer-reviewed.

"...Maybe a husband.  That seems to be asking too much of the universe, however."

• Brohoof 1

@@Hazard Time

Ok, grumpy grump. I won't do anything that would interfere with any law if it upsets you to that point. If you want your name on the wall, I can help. I can take this bucket of permanent black paint and paint your name on the walls of the throne room in Canterlot castle, or perhaps in Sunbutt's private quarters? On the ceiling? Just tell me! I can write names on walls every day! And I guarantee the only way to get rid of that paint is to destroy the wall and build it back again since the paint can't be washed off or covered by other paint. It's my own recipe, made of poison joke extract mixed with a bit of other ingredients.

• Brohoof 1

@@Hazard Time

Ok, grumpy grump. I won't do anything that would interfere with any law if it upsets you to that point. If you want your name on the wall, I can help. I can take this bucket of permanent black paint and paint your name on the walls of the throne room in Canterlot castle, or perhaps in Sunbutt's private quarters? On the ceiling? Just tell me! I can write names on walls every day! And I guarantee the only way to get rid of that paint is to destroy the wall and build it back again since the paint can't be washed off or covered by other paint. It's my own recipe, made of poison joke extract mixed with a bit of other ingredients.

"Please do not.  Your constant prattling will enrage me, but putting my name out in public right now will complicate my life in ways you cannot imagine.  There is somepony looking for me, and it would not do well to remind them that I exist."

• Brohoof 1

@@Hazard Time

True indeed. Unwanted attention is the worse kind of attention. Especially it's from somepony that is after your life. But wouldn't your name in a book or journal have the same effect? Or do you only want to avoid "common press" and prefer an article in some scientific magazine? Perhaps a theorem with your name on it? I must say, "Koroundio's theorem" or "Zoisite's principle" does have a nice ring to it... 

Speaking of which... apo Korundio... That sounds vaguely familiar... I believe I heard it somewhere when I first visited the crystal empire a long, long time ago. Apo is a title of nobility, no? Meaning something like "great or wise leader" if I'm not mistaken. Are you a lord? A count? A baron? A marquis?

Edited by Missklang
  • Brohoof 1

@@Hazard Time

True indeed. Unwanted attention is the worse kind of attention. Especially it's from somepony that is after your life. But wouldn't your name in a book or journal have the same effect? Or do you only want to avoid "common press" and prefer an article in some scientific magazine? Perhaps a theorem with your name on it? I must say, "Koroundio's theorem" or "Zoisite's principle" does have a nice ring to it... 

Speaking of which... apo Korundio... That sounds vaguely familiar... I believe I heard it somewhere when I first visited the crystal empire a long, long time ago. Apo is a title of nobility, no? Meaning something like "great or wise leader" if I'm not mistaken. Are you a lord? A count? A baron? A marquis?

cjFw3L4.png

"I will keep my answer as vague as possible.  The more information I give, the more likely I will be inviting the wrong kind of attention.

"Apo is simply an article in the High Crystal tongue.  My full name translated into Standard Equestrian is Soft Zoisite of Koroundio.  I have no titles, though I may be styled as "Lord" and I have claims to several baronies throughout the Frozen North and Equestria.  It is due to Absolute Primogeniture, however, that my elder sister shall inherit all of our mother's titles upon her demise, though she has promised me any barony of my choosing when that should happen.

"In response to what you had asked earlier, I would prefer a scientific journal.  I will not dumb down my papers simply so that the plebeian could understand them.  They would get no use from it, anyway."

• Brohoof 1

@@Hazard Time

Very true. Those not interested or not worthy or capable of understanding shouldn't get access to such things. Eh, you look lordy enough for me. Got manners, speech, fancy hair and fancy dressing style. 

That reminds me of a thing. I never told that to anyone, but you seem nice. I am technically a legitimate noble by my father's side. But, well... It was so long ago. No one remembers the names. And besides, when the alicorn diarchy was installed, they appropriated the land from lack of anypony that would be a "descendence" to the family. Well, except me, but I was unavailable at the moment. And everyone assumed every member of that family dead anyway. Now, not even the oldest books remember the Don Gaser family. Not even the princesses. At least I don't think they do. After all, the family disappeared before they arrived into power. Eh, I don't really care anyway. I'm the last descendant, but eh, all that responsibility, for what? You would agree that giving me any kind of responsibility would lead to devastating results. So, I change it to Dengeser. It sounds about right.

So, you mentioned your sister? I assume she's the one forcing to communicate with other sentient beings of the same or approximate level of intelligence? What kind of pone is she? You get along with her?

"Put simply, I find it...beautiful.  Elegant.  Perfect.  There is no ambiguity, no error, no unforseen consequences that you encounter in other schools of magic.  It is math, pure and simple, a language incorruptible by mortal beings.  It is perfection given form in a way that never fails to surprise me, and I am forever infatuated.  

"The spoken word, however, is imperfect.  Words only have the meanings that we give them.  A word in one dialect means something else in another, and I have no time to bother with such petty differences.  Whenever a pony speaks, they are speaking their own words, filled with their own meaning.  There are tones, undertones, body language, sarcasm...all distracting from the lesson they are trying to teach.

Nothing can be objective to a mortal being. There is always value in the interpretation of things. It feels easier to put your thoughts into words, because you are not subjected to the dynamic of conversation, sometimes forcing you to alter your way of words. However, aside from the disadvantages of (spoken) language, it is extraordinary versatile and can convey your thoughts way more easily at times. Nevertheless, that relies on the premise that the being you're talking to is able to grasp your concepts without you even fully elaborating on them - and vice versa.

Regardless, the written language, with the addition of math, is far from being incorruptible. It is subject to the very same subjective perception that spoken language is, no matter how you may view it - it relies on interpretation of beings in order to attain a meaning.

"What do I desire?  I do not know.   "...   "...A name perhaps.  My name on a wall.  My name in a book.  In a journal.  To have my papers peer-reviewed.   "...Maybe a husband.  That seems to be asking too much of the universe, however."

What would your name on a wall/in a book/in a journal mean to you? Why would you want that?

Why does a husband (or a significant other) seem to be too much to ask?

• Brohoof 1

@@Hazard Time

Very true. Those not interested or not worthy or capable of understanding shouldn't get access to such things. Eh, you look lordy enough for me. Got manners, speech, fancy hair and fancy dressing style. 

That reminds me of a thing. I never told that to anyone, but you seem nice. I am technically a legitimate noble by my father's side. But, well... It was so long ago. No one remembers the names. And besides, when the alicorn diarchy was installed, they appropriated the land from lack of anypony that would be a "descendence" to the family. Well, except me, but I was unavailable at the moment. And everyone assumed every member of that family dead anyway. Now, not even the oldest books remember the Don Gaser family. Not even the princesses. At least I don't think they do. After all, the family disappeared before they arrived into power. Eh, I don't really care anyway. I'm the last descendant, but eh, all that responsibility, for what? You would agree that giving me any kind of responsibility would lead to devastating results. So, I change it to Dengeser. It sounds about right.

So, you mentioned your sister? I assume she's the one forcing to communicate with other sentient beings of the same or approximate level of intelligence? What kind of pone is she? You get along with her?

"Her name is Proud Ametrine, and I believe the correct adjective to use when describing her is 'passionate'.  I respect her tenacity and force of will, however she is quite informal and her anger is explosive.  It can be dangerous talking to her sometimes, especially when she is in one of her moods."

Nothing can be objective to a mortal being. There is always value in the interpretation of things. It feels easier to put your thoughts into words, because you are not subjected to the dynamic of conversation, sometimes forcing you to alter your way of words. However, aside from the disadvantages of (spoken) language, it is extraordinary versatile and can convey your thoughts way more easily at times. Nevertheless, that relies on the premise that the being you're talking to is able to grasp your concepts without you even fully elaborating on them - and vice versa.

Regardless, the written language, with the addition of math, is far from being incorruptible. It is subject to the very same subjective perception that spoken language is, no matter how you may view it - it relies on interpretation of beings in order to attain a meaning.

"There is no such thing as subjectivity in math, and I am appalled that you would suggest such a thing.  If I make a statement in mathematical form and provide definitions for all of my variables, then there is only one logical conclusion that can be drawn from that.  You cannot say that the statement dS >= 0 describes the entropy of a system because it is simply incorrect.  There is no other way to describe it.  Mathematics is perfect."

What would your name on a wall/in a book/in a journal mean to you? Why would you want that?

"I don't know.  I just want it.  Perhaps it is because I want something to show for this life, proof that I accomplished something?"

Why does a husband (or a significant other) seem to be too much to ask?

"We are countless distances away from each other, and so the reasons are not immediately obvious.  To speak to a pony, however, is something my personality takes great qualms with.  

"I cannot bear to meet their eyes.  Every time I do, it is as if two magnets brought together so that their positive poles are forced to meet, and I cannot bear it for more than a second.  

"When a stranger speaks, I do not know how to respond.  How do I respond?  How do I know that what I say is not ambiguous?  Will they understand?  They wait for a response, and I have nothing to give them except things that nopony comprehends but me.  I do not understand them.  They say things and laugh, and I cannot see the humor.  What defines humor?  How can you tell when somepony is being sarcastic?  They try small talk about meaningless things, and I lose interest.  What is the point in talking about things that do not matter?

"The worst, however, is when they attempt to touch me.  My chest grows tight, and I begin to cough.  I feel every gram of that hoof against my fur, and I feel...stripped, smothered, violated.

"In other words, I was meant to be alone."

• Brohoof 1

"There is no such thing as subjectivity in math, and I am appalled that you would suggest such a thing.  If I make a statement in mathematical form and provide definitions for all of my variables, then there is only one logical conclusion that can be drawn from that.  You cannot say that the statement dS >= 0 describes the entropy of a system because it is simply incorrect.  There is no other way to describe it.  Mathematics is perfect."

Everything relies on a basis. In math, this basis is, as far as I know, based on axioms, which are assumed to be true. However objective those may seem, they are actually arbitrarily, if you dare say so, chosen or, if you prefer, subjectively established. Regardless of your answer, even if we were to acknowledge things like that as objective facts, their status as such is altered the second we interact with any of that data. Our perception of those facts varies greatly, and so does every other variation of interaction with them.

Feel free to prove me wrong on this, though. It's very well possible that I have made grave logical errors in my conclusion (or on the way thither), because of my lack of knowledge on the matter.

"I don't know.  I just want it.  Perhaps it is because I want something to show for this life, proof that I accomplished something?"

Fair enough. "Man can do what he wants, but he cannot will what he wills." - Arthur Schopenhauer - quote is slightly out of context, but appeared fitting.

"We are countless distances away from each other, and so the reasons are not immediately obvious.  To speak to a pony, however, is something my personality takes great qualms with.     "I cannot bear to meet their eyes.  Every time I do, it is as if two magnets brought together so that their positive poles are forced to meet, and I cannot bear it for more than a second.     "When a stranger speaks, I do not know how to respond.  How do I respond?  How do I know that what I say is not ambiguous?  Will they understand?  They wait for a response, and I have nothing to give them except things that nopony comprehends but me.  I do not understand them.  They say things and laugh, and I cannot see the humor.  What defines humor?  How can you tell when somepony is being sarcastic?  They try small talk about meaningless things, and I lose interest.  What is the point in talking about things that do not matter? "The worst, however, is when they attempt to touch me.  My chest grows tight, and I begin to cough.  I feel every gram of that hoof against my fur, and I feel...stripped, smothered, violated.   "In other words, I was meant to be alone."

So, you would consider the repulsion of (two) magnets via the electromagnetic force a good analogy for your lack of interpersonal communication? Would exploring this part of life not be an interesting endeavor? Despite all the anxiety that comes with it - which does not necessarily have to be a negative thing. To me it seems as if you are overthinking things too much that would be way easier without putting so much thought into them. 

Is it not part of life to somehow find someone who actually does understand you, without even necessarily talking to you?

• Brohoof 1

So, you would consider the repulsion of (two) magnets via the electromagnetic force a good analogy for your lack of interpersonal communication? Would exploring this part of life not be an interesting endeavor? Despite all the anxiety that comes with it - which does not necessarily have to be a negative thing. To me it seems as if you are overthinking things too much that would be way easier without putting so much thought into them.    Is it not part of life to somehow find someone who actually does understand you, without even necessarily talking to you?

JxwzzZ9.png

"How quaint.

"To think it was as easy as conquering my fears.  How have I never considered that?  I must simply take a deep breath, approach a pony, open my mouth, and suddenly suffer a conniption instigated by my Trotsberger's.

"How quaint it is to think that social interaction is something anypony can do.  What is the point if every stallion I have ever approached has excused themselves because of my behavior?  Do you think it is that easy to conquer something that is hard wired into my mind?  Do you know what it is like living on that sort of leash, constantly getting as close as you can and then running back to safety before you do something truly stupid?

"This has led me to the conclusion that there is no point, and yet my sister and others keep trying to prove me wrong.  It's all in vain, really, though I admire her tenacity.  I'm a lost cause, why do they even bother?"

sig-4737561.JxwzzZ9.png

"How quaint.

"To think it was as easy as conquering my fears.  How have I never considered that?  I must simply take a deep breath, approach a pony, open my mouth, and suddenly suffer a conniption instigated by my Trotsberger's.

"How quaint it is to think that social interaction is something anypony can do.  What is the point if every stallion I have ever approached has excused themselves because of my behavior?  Do you think it is that easy to conquer something that is hard wired into my mind?  Do you know what it is like living on that sort of leash, constantly getting as close as you can and then running back to safety before you do something truly stupid?

"This has led me to the conclusion that there is no point, and yet my sister and others keep trying to prove me wrong.  It's all in vain, really, though I admire her tenacity.  I'm a lost cause, why do they even bother?"

Never has my intention been to trivialize your problems and fears, but by rationalizing them and taking failure for granted, you're effectively shutting yourself off, living in a created bubble, cocoo, or whatever you want to call it. 

I'm also quite positive that others don't intent to prove you wrong any more than they want to help you. Being stubborn about "being right" isn't going to benefit you, since obviously shutting off from the outside world comes with a price. If you're willing to compromise on this, very well then, but you might just be trying to deluding yourself into not caring.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

Never has my intention been to trivialize your problems and fears, but by rationalizing them and taking failure for granted, you're effectively shutting yourself off, living in a created bubble, cocoo, or whatever you want to call it. 

I'm also quite positive that others don't intent to prove you wrong any more than they want to help you. Being stubborn about "being right" isn't going to benefit you, since obviously shutting off from the outside world comes with a price. If you're willing to compromise on this, very well then, but you might just be trying to deluding yourself into not caring.

3taMkqR.png

"Delusions or not, this is my comfort zone.

"Nothing bad happens in my comfort zone.

"Nothing unpredictable happens in my comfort zone.

"Nothing changes in my comfort zone.

"That is the way I like it.  Now, moving on..."

(( So sorry for the SUPER late reply!  Let's revive this thread :P ))

• 3 weeks later...

@

uvSYOpc.png

"I have thought about it in the time that I have been left to my own devices, and I have reconsidered my position.  I do not have much of a desire to share my findings with academia.  They can find their answers on their own.  I explore the unknown for my own reasons."