Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will FiM ever go hoof to toe with the Simpsons and break records?

ManaMinori

http://www.altpress.com/news/entry/the_simpsons_renewed_for_29th_30th_season_prove_theyll_never_end

While I'm with the group who is ready for a 5th generation rather than an insane streak of 30 years running for a single generation, some small part of me wants MLP to break records like this. It's quite impressive, and I wish something better (and more wholesome) than the Simpsons got the record. Can you guys see a single generation of pony doing the same, or breaking the Simpson's record?

• Brohoof 1

It would be interesting to see, but nope. As popular as MLP: FiM is, ultimately, it's about the merch' for Hasbro, and they'll want to see a new direction and a new toyline soon.

The Simpsons might be breaking records for longevity, but it ain't setting any records for being good. It should've ended after season nine.

• Brohoof 1

No. FiM CAN'T go for as long, due to two linked reasons.

The Simpsons has the ability to go on for so long due to the general lack of continuity and character development- rarely do any changes last more than the episode they are made in.

FiM, on the other hand, has character development (so much so they needed to bring in Starlight to have a character they can keep developing), and the continuity is kept. FiM also has a static timeline, unlike the Simpson's having a sliding timeline.

As it is, I feel FiM has already gone on too long, although it may improve again.

• Brohoof 3

I don't see Friendship is Magic lasting as long as The Simpsons has done over the past three decades. While I want to see MLP go on for as long as possible, it all really depends on what Hasbro ultimately decides to do. As a toy company, selling toys is their prime directive so if any of their current shows aren't contributing to that, they will stop it and demand a restart where the brand is well... rebranded for a new generation.

The only shows that could beat The Simpsons in terms of episode count are Pokémon and One Piece despite them being anime.

• Brohoof 1

The Simpsons are past the point in which the should have died so long ago it doesn't even matter how long they remain on air anymore, and I don't want that for MLP. Also, Hasbro still needs new toys to sell, so I doubt they will hold on to the same generation forever, at some point they'll have to start it over.

• Brohoof 2

If they do it, they'll have to do it differently. If I were Hasbro, and I wanted to do that, I'd follow the Transformers/Beastwars example and show different generations of characters as new toy lines were introduced. (Beast Wars -> Transmetals -> Beast Machines, etc) Same characters, different eras, some new characters introduced, some deaths (RIP Dinobot), and departures... though I guess that last one is technically a separate show and would reset the clock...

It opens the door for more world building, while also being traditionally profitable for merchandise without getting on the audience's nerves with stale plot lines.

I get the feeling that they may be doing something like this with the slightly updated art style of the movie. That could be the start of a new era, especially if the plot triggers it and isn't just some random 90 minute long slice-of-life thing. Afterwards, you get a new series within the same series.

My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic... IN SPACE

Edited by Regent
  • Brohoof 1

I already feel that with six seasons, the show might have already lasted too long.

I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really don't want to see FIM last anywhere near as long as the Simpsons has and become a hollow shell of itself devoid of creativity and originality.

• Brohoof 1

No. FiM CAN'T go for as long, due to two linked reasons.

The Simpsons has the ability to go on for so long due to the general lack of continuity and character development- rarely do any changes last more than the episode they are made in.

FiM, on the other hand, has character development (so much so they needed to bring in Starlight to have a character they can keep developing), and the continuity is kept. FiM also has a static timeline, unlike the Simpson's having a sliding timeline.

As it is, I feel FiM has already gone on too long, although it may improve again.

Status-quo. You are trying to say that SImpsons has a status quo for every season whereas MLP breaks the status quo multiple times a season making it incapable of lasting too long. I remember this whole argument when the crusaders got their marks... which is bs because like everyone else has said the main point of MLP is for the toy line - it's starting to feel like the only reason they are exploring new areas and breaking status quo is just to have a bigger toy line to make the bronies buy because we all now the children are not going to remember that background character from one episode but they can't acknowledge the bronies contribution to the fandom because reasons, which is just bs.

I already feel that with six seasons, the show might have already lasted too long.

I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really don't want to see FIM last anywhere near as long as the Simpsons has and become a hollow shell of itself devoid of creativity and originality.

Season 8 and we'll talk.

Season 4 ended and I do not remember people complaining to much - those who were are just... wrong for saying it will go down on a "high note".

Season 5 ended and I think the argument was more about Starlight than anything (I don't remember).

Season 6 just ended, and they actually have something to explore and elaborate on: the Changelings.

Status-quo. You are trying to say that SImpsons has a status quo for every season whereas MLP breaks the status quo multiple times a season making it incapable of lasting too long. I remember this whole argument when the crusaders got their marks... which is bs because like everyone else has said the main point of MLP is for the toy line - it's starting to feel like the only reason they are exploring new areas and breaking status quo is just to have a bigger toy line to make the bronies buy because we all now the children are not going to remember that background character from one episode but they can't acknowledge the bronies contribution to the fandom because reasons, which is just bs.

It's not so much that MLP breaks the status quo, more that it moves along steadily.

And yes, they do explore new areas to tie in new toys. Hasbro is a toy company, and any show it makes is to help promote the toy lines.

And they HAVE acknowledged the Bronies- remember Slice of Life? That was clearly a nod to the fandom. But by not giving any overt nods, they keep bronies interested- after all, us liking it despite not being the targets is one thing that makes the fandom stand out. Hasbro are wisely not messing with that.

• Brohoof 1