Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

At What Age Do Pegasi Learn To Fly?

RealLifeSpike

I Was Watching The "Baby Cakes" Episode Yesterday, And I Noticed Something, Pound Cake Was Flying Around (Obviously) But In Another Episode, Scootaloo Was Unable To Fly, Which Leads Me To The Question, At What Age Do Pegasi Learn To Fly?

• Brohoof 1

Well about pound cake, my theory is that baby pegasi's wings are big enough for them to fly, but as they grow up, only their bodies grow while their wings stay small up until puberty, when their wings start growing and they regain the ability to fly.

• Brohoof 5

They do not deserve to fly...That is a right reserved for Rainbow Dash and Rainbow Dash alone.

Seriously, I agree that they can fly when theyre babies but as they grow into fillies and colts, the winhs grow out of proportion amd then once they hit pony puberty, they can FLYYYY!

• Brohoof 1

Given we've seen them doing it as fillies, I'm guessing it's near equivalent to how humans learn to walk, and is indeed 'whenever they learn to', but still has some measurable age range in which most of them learn how to.

• Brohoof 1

I'm thinking they just made Pound Cake able to fly for a humor factor, though he could be very lucky, or something.

My theory stands that young Pegasi that grow up in Cloudsdale have better experience, and would learn to fly sooner than most other Pegasi. Speculation can be very rough now, after even two full seasons, hopefully this gets cleared up within season 3.

I'm also thinking about Scootaloo, and how this relates to her unknown background. In my Scoot thread, I said that she was probably not born and/or raised in Cloudsdale, thus not having much experience.

• Brohoof 1

Pegasi that live in Cloudsdale probably learn it sooner than those who live elsewhere since they need it to get pretty much anywhere. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were just fillies when they went to flight camp, but it is unsure whether they already knew how to fly before they went there of it they learned it there.

As for Poundcake, well I really don't know. Human babies are able to swim when they're newborns, so maybe it is similar for pegasi?

• Brohoof 1

Rainbow Dash explained why Pound was able to fly so early. I think around human age 16. The equivalent to learning to drive. Makes sense don't you think?

(edited)

No one listened to what RD Rarity and Twi said at the beginning xD

this guy remembers

vv

Rainbow Dash explained why Pound was able to fly so early. I think around human age 16. The equivalent to learning to drive. Makes sense don't you think?

http://www.youtube.c...fHT-_a_CU#t=85s

As for Poundcake, well I really don't know. Human babies are able to swim when they're newborns, so maybe it is similar for pegasi?

wow.... really? I didn't know that '~' Edited by Berryzoid

Scootaloo can't fly, and I said Rainbow explaind why Pound could fly. They probably forget how then relearn it.

oh yeah that makes sense
  • Brohoof 1

It's actually dependent on their own strength and their wingpower-weight ratio.

Pound cake can fly, true, but that's not hard with him only being a couple pounds. Scootaloo hasn't hit the point at which her dactyl system has grown to the point where it can generate the energy to support her weight. Likewise, Fluttershy has large enough wings, but she did not develop the strength to fly well.

Well about pound cake, my theory is that baby pegasi's wings are big enough for them to fly, but as they grow up, only their bodies grow while their wings stay small up until puberty, when their wings start growing and they regain the ability to fly.

Or like Rarity said, unicorns get weird power sparks, maybe it goes the same for pegasi.

It can be in their genes, after all, it is natural for us to learn things at different ages and we adapt to it in a different way. (Woohoo for biology! :D)

It can be in their genes, after all, it is natural for us to learn things at different ages and we adapt to it in a different way. (Woohoo for biology! :D)

But....b.b.ut.. D:

The Cakes' ancestry is responsibe for their babies' different races, but the Cakes' themselves should be responsible for how good the babies are at their abilities.

So....Pound was able to fly, and Pumpkin was able to levitate objects...both at one-month-old?! O-o

• Brohoof 1

But....b.b.ut.. D:

The Cakes' ancestry is responsibe for their babies' different races, but the Cakes' themselves should be responsible for how good the babies are at their abilities.

So....Pound was able to fly, and Pumpkin was able to levitate objects...both at one-month-old?! O-o

's just cuz scootaloo is a main character and the miserable scootaloo episodes r funny :P

I don't think it has anything to do with growth or size. I just think it's something a pony learns over time, like swimming or riding a bike.