Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Discord

Jon the VGNerd

I use Discord because my friends use it but:

in my opinion it's lot better than Skype (I have my reasons to not like Skype)

And TeamSpeak isn't too much worse in my opinion, but the fact that you can make freely free private "servers" with Discord (as far as I know, they have cost in Teamspeak if you want to make your own) makes it better for me.

Edited by The Cerberus

It definitely is better than Skype, simply because of performance. Skype tends to crash on me a lot, it tends to have slowdown constantly and it can even slow down my laptop entirely. Have not experienced this at all with Discord so far. Really makes me wish Microsoft would look into Skype and revamp it.

I also prefer Discord. First of all it doesn't do the same kind of lagging or crashing shenanigans like Skype tends to do obnoxiously often. The whole internet friend group of mine has also more or less moved to Discord so I followed, and have been enjoying it ever since. 

Discord's background color is also comfortably easy on the eyes - I'd much rather look at that instead of Skype's bright white.  :grin:

Discord is far better. Skype will lag, or glitches happen that make everyone appear offline randomly. I even had a situation where all my contacts were temporarily all erased at one point (thankfully, they were restored). Discord runs more smoothly, and has better features. It's far more secure, too. I prefer it over Skype any day! :)

• Brohoof 1

I actually migrated to Discord a few weeks ago and I've never had a problem with it. It's a hell of a lot better - resources and reliability wise. Skype would often crash for me. I.e. "Not Responding", people would keep disconnecting from calls or the call would drop altogether, Skype relies too heavily on ads which wastes bandwidth and the call connection is constant, and Skype causes FPS issues with certain games.

Teamspeak, I only used once and it was a little difficult to use first time so I don't have much to say about it.

However, Discord, hats off to it and it's developers. The audio quality in voice channels is far, far clearer, latency is low, never had it crash once, doesn't use too much bandwidth since voice broadcasting is stopped when the recipient isn't speaking, RAM usage us a little lower than Skype, the UI looks better and sleek, not an ad in sight, and.. custom emojis on your server. You can't go wrong.  :orly:

Honestly, though, if you're a gamer who voice chats a lot, move over to Discord. I promise, you won't regret it.

I even had a situation where all my contacts were temporarily all erased at one point (thankfully, they were restored).

Well, least I wasn't the only one who experienced that issue. :lol:

Oh, you too? Yeah, it was pretty stressful! Before it was fixed, I tried re-adding people, but it would delete them just as soon as I logged out. Discord is far more trustworthy for sure! :D

Oh, you too? Yeah, it was pretty stressful! Before it was fixed, I tried re-adding people, but it would delete them just as soon as I logged out. Discord is far more trustworthy for sure! :D

Yes, it happened to me one night. It was all fine and dandy on one device, whereas my main had no contacts whatsoever. Took a good 15 minutes for them all to come back. D: & Yes, Discord is literally a reliable source. :P

Short answer: Teamspeak sucks, Skype is good. Discord is almost perfect.

Long answer: TeamSpeak is the worse of the 3. I can usually figure chat things out in a day. I was still confused wit that so I deleted it. Skype is great. Used it for years and still do sometimes. Though it's gotten worse now since it crashes a lot and it's kinda slow. Mobuile Skype to. If they fixed that than I'd say it's better than Discord.

Discord is easy to use and you can have a lot of channels in one server. It's amazing for RP if you have multiple AU's. Or just have different chat with friends. It isn't perfect though. If they ad video cam, screen sharing, and mood messages than I'd say it'd be perfect.

Some points of all 3

Discord:

• Multiple Servers
  • Multiple Channels
  • Ranks and permissions (and server groups)
  • Friends
  • Group Chats
  • Calls (group and single)
  • Free (Even to make a server)
  • Somewhat buggy, not as much as Skype
  • Stream friendly
  • Overlay
  • Emotes
  • Status (Away, Invisible, Do Not Disturb,Online)

• Group chats
  • Friends/Contacts
  • Calls (group and single)
  • Status updates
  • Most buggy of the 3
  • Emotes
  • Status (Away, Invisible, Do Not Disturb,Online)
  • Screen Sharing

Teamspeak 3

• Servers (Not free)
  • Channels (Plus descriptions and images in the channels)
  • Easy use of plugins
  • Away status (custom ones too)
  • Multiple servers
  • Contacts (Eh, not really the same way as the other two)
  • Overlay
  • Few emotes

In my experience, Skype is by far the most unreliable, Teamspeak is ok, but Discord is by far the best. It takes from the best of both and puts them together in a free platform. Skype and Teamspeak are both Technically free, but have another fees/payments associated with them (optional). Far easier to just create a Discord server.

• Brohoof 1

Ok I have never heard of discord until joining this site besides the character. What the heck is it?

It's a VoIP application.

Of the available options I like it the best. I loathe Skype in general, I just find the service very aggravating and buggy as all hell. I don't like Teamspeak very much either do to several bad experiences with it and the gaming community.

I find Discord the most useful of the three.

I'm partial to running my own Mumble/Murmur server instead:

https://wiki.mumble.info/wiki/Main_Page

Free, open source, runs on pretty much anything, and it's had awesome latency/voice quality for ages.  Been around a lot longer than Discord, but it's purely a VoIP chat geared for gaming (rooms/channels vs. one-on-one private stuff).

But then I like running all my own servers in my basement, so. :P

im a mod for the UkofEquestria Discord now, but I hate it for massive groups like that, I much prefer and utterly miss TeamSpeak. 

Teamspeak had better organisation of it and you could keep tabs better on people there and were more encouraged to use the voice chat.

i dunno if its the same with other discord chats, but the 3 im in do not use the voice chat... which is stupid considering the UKofE one just transferred from TS which we used voice chat the entire time. Now no one even bothers unless I insist on using it and announce it on the forums or Twitter.

I swear the only reason they got discord was because the admins wanted their own server for overwatch (which our usual TS group dont play anyway) ugh

i want TS back. 

• 2 months later...

I've been using Discord way more than with Skype, even though some of my friends still use the later xD Skype keeps bugging out on me and receive messages only days after the conversation, so yeah Discord seems more of a convenience for me :b

Discord is works better from group discussions, while Skype is better for one on one conversations. The Skype group feature is quite bare bones in terms of features, Discord gives more options like diving the group in different channels for different topics and assigning different permissions to different group roles, making moderation much easier.

Skype started as mainly a VoIP program, and I get the impression that the chat feature was just an afterthought. But it still works great when you want to call someone.

Discord isn't bad, but I can't stand its notification system. It's like there's no setting between "Pinkie Surprise Party All Over Your Screen" and "Fluttershy Clears Her Throat In The Background"; either I get bombarded with every message sent my way or I never see any of them at all.

Edited by BlueStreak98

I hate Skype. I recently migrated to discord. I love that you only hear people when they make enough sound so that you don't hear your own voice played back to you. The audio quality is also great. I love the theme and the fact that you can create servers on discord.

• 4 years later...

Discord is great. I remember those times before Discord: Having an IRC client on the one hand and on the hand Skype and similar progs. If it was a bit more professional you were using Teamspeak (TS)  1-3. But still Discord is much better than TS. And of course this time were other alternatives to TS were used

• Brohoof 1