Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will The Movie Hit Theatres Or Will It Be Straight To DVD?

OmegaBeamOfficial

I'd consider the movie and the MLP toy lines two completely separate can of worms, unless they make merch based on the movie of course.

You know they are going to release merchandise based on the movie. It's a foregone conclusion that they would as they need to make money as a business.

• Brohoof 2

I'm 100% positive that opening weekend ticket sales are critical to a movie's perceived success.

I don't actually know if positive reviews have a major impact on that or not.  

It seems like it might, but I've never seen data on that.  

Reviews don't influence movies as much as people believe. In few cases maybe, like with Suicide Squad and BvS, but they seem like the exception. Otherwise, Bayformers and Twilight wouldn't have been as ridiculously successful as they were(or are with Bayformers)

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 3

Reviews don't influence movies as much as people believe. In few cases maybe, like with Suicide Squad and BvS, but they seem like the exception. Otherwise, Bayformers and Twilight wouldn't have been as ridiculously successful as they were(or are with Bayformers)

Really? I thought the live action Transformers movie was OK, and it was received as at least decent. The sequels are what REALLY went downhill with fans including me, especially 2 & 4, 3 seemed to be a step in the right direction, but it wasn't good as the first one. As for Twilight though... Eh, it probably struck a cord with a lot of teenage girls I'm guessing.

Well, I figured they'd focus on making money from the movie itself.

Toy sales are Hasbro's first and foremost main focus with something like a movie being secondary.

• Brohoof 2

True, guess so. There's a reason I see a plethora of new Transformers merch whenever the next movie's coming out...

Because they want to get it out there to promote the toy line and to earn money. They usually release the toys roughly about half a year before the movie releases and then again later when it gets released on DVD.

• Brohoof 2

Because they want to get it out there to promote the toy line and to earn money. They usually release the toys roughly about half a year before the movie releases and then again later when it gets released on DVD.

Yeah, It's a little ridiculous. I don't buy transformers toys anymore either way, but the movie toys always look so unappealing...

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, It's a little ridiculous. I don't buy transformers toys anymore either way, but the movie toys always look so unappealing...

When I was young, I used to buy the generation one toys. I still have some of those stored away in a box inside of the shed because I didn't want to part with them. Compared to what they release today, the old toys are so much better and have a real nostalgia feel.

• Brohoof 3

When I was young, I used to buy the generation one toys. I still have some of those stored away in a box inside of the shed because I didn't want to part with them. Compared to what they release today, the old toys are so much better and have a real nostalgia feel.

I feel ya, it wasn't from my time, but I think G1 is the best thing to come out of the franchise, is that strange? Though the Prime show is a close second.

• Brohoof 1

I feel ya, it wasn't from my time, but I think G1 is the best thing to come out of the franchise, is that strange? Though the Prime show is a close second.

It was the original iteration of Transformers and became a cult classic despite the 1986 movie being controversial with characters. Generation one of MLP doesn't have the same kind of success although it did gain cult status in recent years.

Edited by Ganondorf8
  • Brohoof 2

It was the original iteration of Transformers and became a cult classic despite the 1986 movie being controversial with characters. Generation one of MLP doesn't have the same kind of success although it did gain cult status in recent years.

And yet I don't feel like going anywhere near the last 3 generations of MLP. Go figure.

• Brohoof 1

And yet I don't feel like going anywhere near the last 3 generations of MLP. Go figure.

Generations two and three weren't really good and three point five was the most heinous thing ever conceived regarding MLP, but generation one does have nostalgia despite not being the most engaging cartoon out there.

Anyway, it's fair to have concerns regarding the MLP movie since there is still much about it that is shrouded in secrecy.

• Brohoof 2

Generations two and three weren't really good and three point five was the most heinous thing ever conceived regarding MLP, but generation one does have nostalgia despite not being the most engaging cartoon out there.

Anyway, it's fair to have concerns regarding the MLP movie since there is still much about it that is shrouded in secrecy.

Yeah, there is a sense of panic about all this...

• Brohoof 1

We don't know what the story will be yet.

That's why I say we should have faith in them. They've done an excellent job over the years with the show and I'm sure they will use their best writers to bring this movie to life. Speaking of the movie, I'm hoping for the standard special features that are often included in DVDs.

• Brohoof 3

Have faith in the writing staff for coming up with the ideal story.

I have a good amount of faith in Meghan McCarthy and Rita Hsiao. I just tallied all the MLP episodes McCarthy wrote so far, picked the ones I thought were good, bad, or decent, and got the following result:

Good (8/10 and up): 10 episodes

Decent (5/10-7/10): 9 episodes

Bad (4/10 and below): 2 episodes

Some of my favorites from her were Rarity Investigates, Hearts and Hooves Day, and of course, Canterlot Wedding. The two bad episodes, imo, were Three's A Crowd and 28 Pranks Later.

As for Hsiao, she was one of the writers of Mulan and Toy Story 2. I liked the former and LOVED the latter.

Edited by ChB
  • Brohoof 2

I have a good amount of faith in Meghan McCarthy and Rita Hsiao. I just tallied all the MLP episodes McCarthy wrote so far, picked the ones I thought were good, bad, or decent, and got the following result:

Good (8/10 and up): 10 episodes

Decent (5/10-7/10): 9 episodes

Bad (4/10 and below): 2 episodes

Some of my favorites from her were Rarity Investigates, Hearts and Hooves Day, and of course, Canterlot Wedding. The two bad episodes, imo, were Three's A Crowd and 28 Pranks Later.

As for Hsiao, she was one of the writers of Mulan and Toy Story 2. I liked the former and LOVED the latter.  

That's a pretty good analysis you've presented right there.

• Brohoof 2

I think this movie wont release in my country, so i may watch cam version or wait for DVD version in... 2018 *sign*. 

What country do you live in? Lionsgate and Hasbro want the movie to be worldwide so if MLP airs in your country the movie will probably be released in your country. They might not use the same voice cast but it'll probably end up at least on TV.

• Brohoof 1

I think this movie wont release in my country, so i may watch cam version or wait for DVD version in... 2018 *sign*. 

What country do you come from?

That's why I say we should have faith in them. They've done an excellent job over the years with the show and I'm sure they will use their best writers to bring this movie to life. Speaking of the movie, I'm hoping for the standard special features that are often included in DVDs.

Yeah, you say that but plenty of people have already been harsh on the writing team for Seasons 5 & 6, who says they'll be any less critical of it here?

I'm unaware of any special features, I watch the show and movies on Netflix. Anything particularly interesting on those DVD's?

Yeah, you say that but plenty of people have already been harsh on the writing team for Seasons 5 & 6, who says they'll be any less critical of it here?

I'm unaware of any special features, I watch the show and movies on Netflix. Anything particularly interesting on those DVD's?

When old writers leave and new ones come in, the newer writers have to live up to incredible expectations placed upon them by fans who often take the show too seriously. I feel that they shouldn't be judged before they even write their first episode and should be given at least one freebie before they have to take their craft to an acceptable level.

In the Legend of Everfree DVD, they included the blooper reel, three sing-a-long songs and the director's commentary. I'm expecting way more than this for the MLP movie.

• Brohoof 3

When old writers leave and new ones come in, the newer writers have to live up to incredible expectations placed upon them by fans who often take the show too seriously. I feel that they shouldn't be judged before they even write their first episode and should be given at least one freebie before they have to take their craft to an acceptable level.

In the Legend of Everfree DVD, they included the blooper reel, three sing-a-long songs and the director's commentary. I'm expecting way more than this for the MLP movie.

Yeah, It's something all right.

Eh, don't get your hopes up.

• Brohoof 1