Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rated G or PG?

Plonkett

64 users have voted

1. 1. G or PG?

• G
    • PG

I think it's going to be rated G. Sorry for sounding like a broken record, but if the show's primary target audience are young girls, why would Hasbro make parents have second thoughts about letting their 3-5 year old child watch it?

I think it's going to be rated G. Sorry for sounding like a broken record, but if the show's primary target audience are young girls, why would Hasbro make parents have second thoughts about letting their 3-5 year old child watch it?

Minions and Frozen are rated PG, and they are even more kiddie than MLP.

• Brohoof 4

I don't know... It ought to be rated G because that's what it is and it doesn't need more to be as awesome as the show is, but it probably (and sadly) should be rated PG so that people actually care enough to watch and discover MLP. Frozen and Hunger Games are both rated PG, just to show how dumb the rating is nowadays. Nostalgia Critic made a video about the rating system 2 months ago that I suggest you watch, if you haven't already.

• Brohoof 4

If this was released 10 years ago, it'd most definitely be G, but considering the ridiculous standards the MPAA have for children's movies, any movie that want's to be rated G has to have absolutely zero conflict to get it. So it'll likely get a PG, not that it means anything anymore

That said, if they manage to get that G rating, I wouldn't be surprised

• Brohoof 3

G rated? Aren't those only reserved for like Barney, Dora, Callou, Lazy town and nature documentaries? 

I mean, if we're gonna get anything like the S5 finale, the S4 finale, or even the S2 finale, it's gonna have to be rated PG. Heck, I think even the G1 MLP movie would be PG by today's standards. 

So since the general feeling is that this will be a fantasy adventure epic, it'll probably be geared towards the whole family, likely the 7-10 year old demographic. I mean think about it. The show started 6 years ago. It will be 7 by the time the film comes around. Even the youngest of the target audience would by then be 10 years old. Remember, a key tenet of the show is that it talks with it's audience, not down to it. So being that the show's audience is a little older (and why would any parent want to bring a 5 year old to the movies?), a PG rating would be best for the spirit and content of the show. 

• Brohoof 3

G rated? Aren't those only reserved for like Barney, Dora, Callou, Lazy town and nature documentaries? 

I mean, if we're gonna get anything like the S5 finale, the S4 finale, or even the S2 finale, it's gonna have to be rated PG. Heck, I think even the G1 MLP movie would be PG by today's standards.

Toy Story is G. All Disney for some time have been rated G, including the Lion King and Bambi with on-screen deaths. Frozen and other such ones should be G as well, but because of how the system is made (there's a swear word/mature joke omg!!) they're rated PG...and it's on purpose that there's this out of place "mature joke", swear word or whatever.

After all, G is now considered to be for braindead people or very young children, toddlers even. So PG is the thing to be if a film wants to be considered watchable/enjoyable by 7+ yo. Do watch the Nostalgia Critic video if you have time, he explains it better than me.

• Brohoof 1

If this was released 10 years ago, it'd most definitely be G, but considering the ridiculous standards the MPAA have for children's movies, any movie that want's to be rated G has to have absolutely zero conflict to get it. So it'll likely get a PG, not that it means anything anymore

That said, if they manage to get that G rating, I wouldn't be surprised

. The Peanuts Movie was miraculously able to keep a G rating, so hopefully the MLP movie could do the same.
  • Brohoof 1

One problem though: MLP has action and fantasy elements

Didn't stop Rainbow Rocks from getting a G rating, as far as I know. And yet, the Dazzlings were more suggestive than what you usually see in MLP.

Rainbow Rocks has close to no fantasy elements except two lasers. This film couldn't be further from Equestria Girls.

And...how does that make this new film more inclined to getting a PG rating? Especially when there's non-fantastical touchy touchy moments with Adagio and sensual dancing.

Also, RR still has that portal and the ponies appearing, plus magical-induced brain control and transformations. That car just can't be legit, Vinyl!!

I mean, if we're gonna get anything like the S5 finale, the S4 finale, or even the S2 finale, it's gonna have to be rated PG. 

Why are the standards for a Y rating on TV a lot more lenient than the standards for a G rating in movies?

Edited by ChB