Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rated G or PG?

Plonkett

64 users have voted

1. 1. G or PG?

• G
    • PG

I think it's going to be rated G. Sorry for sounding like a broken record, but if the show's primary target audience are young girls, why would Hasbro make parents have second thoughts about letting their 3-5 year old child watch it?

I doubt the parents would.  I go to a lot of movies and, unfortunately, I see parents bringing in little kids to R-rated flicks all the time.  PG would mean nothing to them.

• Brohoof 3

Minions and Frozen are rated PG, and they are even more kiddie than MLP.

I doubt the parents would.  I go to a lot of movies and, unfortunately, I see parents bringing in little kids to R-rated flicks all the time.  PG would mean nothing to them.

Points taken, but considering MLP's primary target audience, and the fact that it maintained a TV-Y rating in all episodes, I would think that - despite how strict and arbitrary MPAA standards are, and regardless of how lenient most parents are nowadays - that Hasbro would make every effort to make the movie rated G, so that it would be unquestionably appropriate to all age groups (unless the movie will be primarily geared towards Bronies, which I highly doubt).

To say it another way, it doesn't seem logical to me for Hasbro to make the show appropriate for young girls in all episodes for 6+ seasons, only to all of a sudden create a movie where they must warn the parents that it might not be appropriate for that same audience.    

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind if the movie ends up being Rated PG. In fact, there is a small part of me that wants that lol.

Edited by ChB

Points taken, but considering MLP's primary target audience, and the fact that it maintained a TV-Y rating in all episodes, I would think that - despite how strict and arbitrary MPAA standards are, and regardless of how lenient most parents are nowadays - that Hasbro would make every effort to make the movie rated G, so that it would be unquestionably appropriate to all age groups (unless the movie will be primarily geared towards Bronies, which I highly doubt).

To say it another way, it doesn't seem logical to me for Hasbro to make the show appropriate for young girls in all episodes for 6+ seasons, only to all of a sudden create a movie where they must warn the parents that it might not be appropriate for that same audience.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind if the movie ends up being Rated PG. In fact, there is a small part of me that wants that lol.

In what way is PG going to drive little kids away?

In what way is PG going to drive little kids away?

It won't, but it might make some parents prevent them from watching, depending on how strict or conservative they are. Maybe they're not too prevalent anymore, but they probably still exist. One time at a library, I overheard a parent not allowing her daughter to rent The Powerpuff Girls movie, just because it's rated PG (the daughter looks 4 years old). Edited by ChB

It won't, but it might make some parents prevent them from watching, depending on how strict or conservative they are. Maybe they're not too prevalent anymore, but they probably still exist. One time at a library, I overheard a parent not allowing her daughter to rent The Powerpuff Girls movie, just because it's rated PG (the daughter looks 4 years old).

I don't think Hasbro is going to lose sleep over a couple of overly protective mothers

• Brohoof 3

They'll maybe slip in enough violence or the same level of innuendos as the actual show for a PG rating.

why? Just, why? MLP doesn't need that stuff to make it good. And I certainly hope they leave that out
  • Brohoof 1

why? Just, why? MLP doesn't need that stuff to make it good. And I certainly hope they leave that out

If The Powerpuff Girls Movie got rated PG for that reason, it's possible the same could happen to the My Little Pony movie. Filmmakers actively try to avoid G-ratings because it makes their movie look kid-friendly. There's an entire trope about this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AvoidTheDreadedGRating

• Brohoof 1

It won't, but it might make some parents prevent them from watching, depending on how strict or conservative they are. Maybe they're not too prevalent anymore, but they probably still exist. One time at a library, I overheard a parent not allowing her daughter to rent The Powerpuff Girls movie, just because it's rated PG (the daughter looks 4 years old).

Well, PPG is pretty violent, but if the rating was the sole criteria, she doesn't really know what that means.

...unless the movie will be primarily geared towards Bronies, which I highly doubt).

A broney MLP would be interesting.  I wonder if Hasbro (Hasbrony?) knows about us?

A PG rating would give them a wider latitude of what they could do.

• Brohoof 1

A broney MLP would be interesting. I wonder if Hasbro (Hasbrony?) knows about us? A PG rating would give them a wider latitude of what they could do.

A broney MLP film would stray too far from the intended goal and audience though. It's like 99% certain this won't happen, and imo neither should it.

• Brohoof 1

If The Powerpuff Girls Movie got rated PG for that reason, it's possible the same could happen to the My Little Pony movie.

PPG is still different from MLP. PPG had more violence and the show was even rated TV-Y7-FV, so the PG rating was obvious. MLP, on the other hand, is rated TV-Y. I'm not saying the MLP movie won't be rated PG, but I don't think just because the PPG movie was is a sign MLP might.

• Brohoof 3

All the EqG films were rated G if I'm not mistaken. So there's a quite high chance that this one gets rated G as well. Not that I see what PG would allow it to do any better anyway...

• Brohoof 1

One possible benefit of a PG rating is that it might get some non-bronies curious. :grin:

"What?! A little girl's show about rainbows and talking ponies gets a PG rating? I wonder why that is." 

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just watch, it'll end up being rated R for "nudity throughout".

Also, I would recommend checking out the documentary "This Film is Not Yet Rated" if you want a better understanding of how the MPAA works. It straight up proves that the organization is a complete failure and needs to be done away with.

Best thing about it though, is that they actually gave it an NC-17 rating. How's that for irony?

• Brohoof 3

What do you think the film's rating should be, G or PG?

Well it will probably be G considering both the tv show and all four EQG movies are rated G. But even if it is rated PG it won't be for crude humor. Just fantasy violence.
  • Brohoof 1

It is getting to the point it seems for a film like this to receive a G rating, the characters will just have to stand there and blink and do nothing else except smile.... any movement or action outside of that.. and BAM.. PG rating.

Them is the breaks.. PG it is I would imagine.

• Brohoof 7

It is getting to the point it seems for a film like this to receive a G rating, the characters will just have to stand there and blink and do nothing else except smile.... any movement or action outside of that.. and BAM.. PG rating.

Them is the breaks.. PG it is I would imagine.

Only for fantasy violence hopefully. And not adding in some stupid crude joke that isn't even funny.
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

While it would be cool to see a PG mlp movie, the film will almost certainly G. Unfortunately, the general thought is that this show is for little girls from outside viewers, so the movie suddenly appearing out of the blue as a PG may concern them, which could hurt ratings.

That being said, I would love to be proven wrong. 

• Brohoof 2