Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rated G or PG?

Plonkett

64 users have voted

1. 1. G or PG?

• G
    • PG

I think in this day and age, ratings are really nothing worth anymore, considering every animated movie these days are rated PG, eventhough back in the day animated movies like the secret of nimh, an american tail, Beauty and the beast and the lion king, all of which have a few very adult undertones. even more adult then some animated movies today and they still received a G rating.

In short: It dosen't matter. :P

• Brohoof 1

Hmm... I would like it to be PG, since I am in favor of keeping options open. Mesme has a point though, some of the stuff in the show itself even had some adult and violent undertones, and it is Y-7 rated! (communist village, turok battle, ect). What I would really like is for it to be rated G and still have all the content of PG. I guess that says something about what I consider appropriate for kids to watch lol

• Brohoof 2

I think in this day and age, ratings are really nothing worth anymore, considering every animated movie these days are rated PG, eventhough back in the day animated movies like the secret of nimh, an american tail, Beauty and the beast and the lion king, all of which have a few very adult undertones. even more adult then some animated movies today and they still received a G rating.

In short: It dosen't matter. :P

Yeah it kind of does matter. These days those movies would have EASILY gotten a PG rating.

Here's something people need to understand: if the MLP movie has any action, peril, suggestive/"crude" humor, or genuine emotion it gets an automatic PG from the MPAA. And it's a guarantee that at least one of those will be in it.

I'm not stating an opinion; I'm stating a fact by today's MPAA.

Here's something people need to understand: if the MLP movie has any action, peril, suggestive/"crude" humor, or genuine emotion it gets an automatic PG from the MPAA. And it's a guarantee that at least one of those will be in it.

Can you please link me to a reliable source that back-ups that claim? Not trying to be controversial, just asking.

Can you please link me to a reliable source that back-ups that claim? Not trying to be controversial, just asking.

Take a look at any animated film that came out in the past few years. They're all rated PG except for the Peanuts Movie which had extremely light conflict.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah it kind of does matter. These days those movies would have EASILY gotten a PG rating.

You know, people usually bring out some kind of a source on that. It's very easy to say "it's a fact."

I stay with my opinion that ratings don't matter these days.

I don't know why some people think the movie will be uninteresting if it's rated G. I know theirs this stigma nowadays that if it's rated G it's for babies. But look at any previous Disney movie! They weren't baby movies! Well most of them weren't. My point is that G rated movies can be just as engaging as PG movies.

• Brohoof 1

Take a look at any animated film that came out in the past few years. They're all rated PG except for the Peanuts Movie which had extremely light conflict.

Toy Story 3 had some perilous and emotional moments, and it passed for rated G. Granted, there are very few good animated G-rated movies after 2009, but I'm not sure if action scenes of the likes of Twilight's Kingdom would qualify as "fantasy violence" that would force a PG rating.

If it's like the Changeling fight in Canterlot Wedding, then maybe, but nobody got zapped by the beams in Twilight's Kingdom.

I don't know why some people think the movie will be uninteresting if it's rated G. I know theirs this stigma nowadays that if it's rated G it's for babies. But look at any previous Disney movie! They weren't baby movies! Well most of them weren't. My point is that G rated movies can be just as engaging as PG movies.

True. I loved Monster's University and Toy Story 3 (both rated G) a lot more than Frozen and How to Train your Dragon 2 (both rated PG). 

Edited by ChB
  • Brohoof 1

I think it will be rated PG. Now, cartoon violence might do that, but I have a different reason why. This movie will be aimed at both the older and younger demographic.

Now, the rating system has changed over time, and while the general rules are the same, many companies purposely bump up the rating. You see, G-rated movies were often seen as just for kids, or uninteresting to any teenage or adult audiences. So many movies that should have gotten a G rating have gotten a PG or even as far as a PG-13 rating instead, often from a single instance placed specifically to bump up a rating. Just look at practically any Pixar movie.

Since this is directed at both audiences, I have no doubt that they would aim for a PG movie, as no parent would ever bar their kid from watching one, and it might attract more parents/older viewers.

Of course, bronies would watch it either way, and I'm not saying a G rating is impossible. I just was reminded of a common producer tactic.

Either way, I don't think anything might be affected by this rating. G-rated movies are disappearing, and PG movies are basically what G movies were 10 or 20 years ago.

People still debating this huh? Honestly no one really cares much about ratings anymore I would imagine.... I can't speak for anyone else but I certainly don't. Unless someone makes it a point to tell me, "Hey this film is rated Y" (can't say X because that is a whole other argument) I honestly would not know.... for me it is a preview and I either am interested... or I am not. The problem though has NOTHING to do with the rating itself. Here is a list of ratings and more or less what to expect from them.

http://movies.about.com/od/dvds/fl/How-Does-a-Movie-Get-Its-Rating.htm

Now that may all seem pretty simple, but there are films that sort of toe the line and have gotten by with lower ratings from time to time.. and some of it is open to interpretation... since actual people rate this stuff, thus a simple opinion from the right or wrong person can knock it up or down a point. But still none of that actually matters.. the issue is the filmmakers themselves and what they are seeking. If Hasbro WANTS a G rating... they may self regulate it and do everything in their power to ensure it gets that rating... which means nixing stuff they feel might cause it to get a PG and the like. You have to understand, if the film is rated a PG for example... it is up to Hasbro (or Lionsgate or whomever) whether to go with it, or take it back and make cuts so it gets under the rating... for an animated film this is much more of an issue than for a live action film. The company may want to avoid spending that kind of money and taking that risk, so they may indeed decide to just guarantee it will get a G rating and not roll the dice. Several of those PG films may have started out with hopes for a G for all we know.. and they just rated too high, and in the end the company just went went with it to save money. MLP is a bit different in the fact that is is seen primarily (no matter how anyone feels about this) as a (toy) franchise aimed at little girls, or at the very least at small children in particular. What anyone thinks is irrelevant since it is what Hasbro is wanting and aiming for to accomplish with this film (which we do not fully know). I expect they will go for the G because as much as the brony fandom has caught their attention, I don't see them committing to them at the moment with anything more than a nod here and there and a couple of pieces of humor now and again. The show itself has run for 6+ seasons on this principle, and they are not going to change now because they have not needed to. To be fair, the cartoon itself has gotten away with several things you would not typically expect in a simple "little girls' cartoon... but I don't see them as taking a chance with this film, which I expect has more riding on it than any "brony" thinks or realizes. I would imagine this film and how it does is of great importance to Hasbro not just a toy company but as a future company in general. I don't think it would hurt the film to be given a PG rating, but I just expect Hasbro to want to go the VERY safe route and avoid it due to an image they currently seem very keen on protecting.

• Brohoof 1

Toy Story 3 had some perilous and emotional moments, and it passed for rated G. Granted, there are very few good animated G-rated movies after 2009, but I'm not sure if action scenes of the likes of Twilight's Kingdom would qualify as "fantasy violence" that would force a PG rating.

If it's like the Changeling fight in Canterlot Wedding, then maybe, but nobody got zapped by the beams in Twilight's Kingdom.

True. I loved Monster's University and Toy Story 3 (both rated G) a lot more than Frozen and How to Train your Dragon 2 (both rated PG).

But Frozen and Htty d 2 should have been rated G. The content wasn't anymore objectionable then in past animated movies. Especially for Frozen. Though to be honest I enjoyed Httyd 2 much more than any of the other animated movies you mentioned.
  • Brohoof 1

I don't trust G-rated movies. As many others in this thread have stated, no movie gets to be G-rated without a full immersal in liquid bubblewrap. A PG rating would mean that the movie is kid-friendly and not-brainless, which is exactly what I look for in entertainment and exactly what I'm hoping for in the MLP movie.

• Brohoof 2

Honestly, ratings these days are pretty much useless. A good example I can think of is Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which is the only film in the main series other than Revenge of the Sith (which actually had pretty good reason to be PG-13) to get PG-13, and yet it's pretty much just as tame as all of the ones that got PG. The MPAA just doesn't know what they're doing anymore, so it could go either way.

Edited by NeonCobalt

What do you think the film's rating should be, G or PG?

PG no doubt...not sure rated G exist anymore.

ps interesting profile avatar you have. 

• 2 weeks later...

All the EqG films were rated G if I'm not mistaken. So there's a quite high chance that this one gets rated G as well. Not that I see what PG would allow it to do any better anyway...

None of the EQG films were rated, at least in America. So we can't rely on them to judge the rating for this movie before we really know anything about its content.

I see them trying to go for a G rating, but with the way the MPAA overreacts with things today in their ratings. (See the nostalgia critics video for good examples.) I could see this getting the PG. Either way I think they will be happy because I think it will still make the money.

Ether way I am seeing it.

NC-17!!!! yessssssss like all of my pony roleplays are :D

"Mommy Mommy! Can we see the pony movie?"

"Why of course sweetie. Those cartoons teach good lessons about friendship"

*Movie starts*

"Ooooooh Rainbow Dash..." "Oooooh Pinkie"

"Mommy...what kind of friendship is this? I've never seen girls hug that way before?"

Edited by SONICchaos
  • Brohoof 3

close to G, but they'll go out of their way to find something to nick it  up to PG, if in name only, just for the good publicity it'll give, since that tends to generate better sales than G overall.

Would you say a scarred eye and a clearly artificial leg would do the trick?