Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you watch MLP in your language? Discuss foreign dubs

Shimmering Sparkler

My mother tongue is English but I've always had a knack for watching shows and movies in other languages besides English. It's fun and I like seeing other's interpretations on the characters. MLP is all around the world, with many different dubs. What's your countries dub like? Is it good? Is it bad? Are the voices somewhat good?

My personal favorite is the Latin American dub. I am part Mexican and I have a few younger cousins who don't speak English and watch the shows Spanish dub, so I watch that one sometimes. I think it's quite good! The voices may not be the most accurate but they do their jobs well enough! My favorite VA is Carla Castaneda who voices Twilight. She's a very good impersonation and sings very well for Twilight! But for some reason, for episodes 14-21 they replaced her VA and it was pretty noticable. Not sure who voiced her but while she did a good job she didn't quite match Carla's voice for Twilight. 

Since I'm a huge weeaboo XD I love the Japanese dub as well! My favorite VA from there is Pinkie's VA (or seiyuu) Suzuko Mimori who also voices Sonoda on Love Live. She impersonates Andrea Libman's voice flawlessly and she promotes MLP quite often on her Twitter. She also voiced Maud in Rainbow Rocks. Sadly, the show never got passed Season 2 in Japan but the Equestria Girls movies exist over there and the merchandise is quite popular too. I've heard rumors of it coming back through Netflix but I'm not sure if they're true.

So, what's your favorite dub? If you don't speak English and MLP airs in your country what's it like?

• Brohoof 1

If I were to watch MLP in another language as english I would have to watch it in dutch since that's my native language, but I honestly can't stand it. The dutch dub is awefull! Especially pinkie pie sounds terrible! I just stick with the english one since that's the best one in my opinion ^-^

I don’t watch MLP in Ukrainian (my mother tongue). Firstly, because I don’t need to – if a cartoon’s made in English, I’ll always watch it in the original. Secondly, I don’t like Ukrainian dub. They didn’t take MLP seriously and dubbed it as an average kids’ show – the voices are just lifeless, and the voiceover is done by like two people. So, it's only English for me.

• Brohoof 1

I strongly prefer not to. The characters' voices in the Finnish dub are quite difficult to listen to as many of them are so high-pitched. The original voices are way more memorable and fitting anyways. The only Finnish voice of MLP I actually like is Discord's but he doesn't appear in the show that often, which is a shame.

For now I watch the show in English only and it has remained my favorite.  :rarity:

I started watching MLP in the latinamerican dub, but I had to switch to English for the new episodes. Personally, I think it's pretty good, I love Elsa Covián as Rarity (although she makes her sound a little old), Melissa Gedeón as Pinkie Pie (everyone seems to agree she's the best foreign Pinkie), Carla Castañeda as Twilight (she doesn't sound like Twilight but her voice fits the character), and Maggie Vera as Fluttershy (The voice of Bubbles or "Burbuja", Mulan, Jasmin, and others, she's a Tara Strong level VA). Claudia Motta as Applejack is fine and I like she does a cowgirl accent, and I forgot who voices Rainbow Dash but I don't like her voice that much (it's still good though). The voices of other characters like Cadence (who shares voice with Anna from Frozen), Celestia, Discord and Shining Armor are great, but the voices of characters like the CMC and Luna could be better (actually Luna had a pretty great voice in Luna Eclipsed, but it was changed after).

The dub is good, but sometimes the voices are off, the songs aren't so good, or when they sound great the translation is pretty bad (like the Smile Song), I also don't know if this is because  I got used to the English dub, but since season 4 I feel the quality has been dropping. Whenever I watch MLP on TV (or any show for that matter) I always switch the language to English, even in episodes in which I love the dub (like A Canterlot Wedding and Magical Mistery Cure) because those are the voices that "feel right".

I watch it in french only in emergency case. I don't like the voices and some translations are really bad :T

And don't even get me started on the songs/singing voices. They're horrendous.

I've watched some episodes in French and I think the dub it's pretty good (I don't know so much about the translation though, I still struggle to understand what they're saying). I know the lyrics of "In Our Town" and "Friends Are Always There For You" because I love Starlight's voice, I like "Acadeca" better than the original, and I've watched A Hearth's Warming Tail quite a few times. Aside from Starlight's, I think Twilight's voice is pretty great, the rest of the mane 6 and Spike are alright. I've only watched season 6 episodes though so I won't judge the whole dub, but so far I like it.

• Brohoof 1

My native Language is German, so i always try to watch in German.

Even though, not everything was released in Germany or some releases dont have all the Bonus Episodes. ( G3 )

The first German Voice Over for My Little Pony N Friends, is terrible.

I dont think the Dvd Release of G1 actually got the Original German Voices but instead they just cheaply made a new Dub to save Money.

Or, this Show really was that horrible when it aired in Germany.

Almost every female Character is voiced by a Male. Im not kidding.

And those male Actors try to sound like females by trying to high pitch their Voices.

It sounds incredible painful and i seriously cant believe, that such an horrible Dub was released in Germany.  :confused:

The 1986 Movie has good Voice Actors ( yeah, actual female ones ) so i guess, they either lost all their Voice Actors for the Series or the Dvd Company didnt had enough Money or enough Motivation, to actually get the real Dub.  :dry:

My Little Pony Tales had a very good German Dub.

I would even go so far and say, that the Dub is amazingly great.  :squee:

Every Character sounds on Point and cute and specially in contrast to the other horrible German Dub, this Dub is an excellent improvement.

Sadly this Version didnt made it to Dvd, there are only a few German Tapes, which are hard to find, since they are very rare.

I only managed to collect 4 out of 6.

And i still havent seen the last 2 Tapes anywhere.

G2 didnt got a Dub, since the game was never released in Germany.

G3 had a good Dub. But it didnt stay in my Memory like the Dub from Tales did.

So, it was good, but not great. But still better than the N Friends Dub.  :lol:

G4 also has a great German Dub, specially since it uses some familiar Voices, like for example, Voices from the German Dub of Case Closed.

So...i prefer the English Dub in My Little Pony N Friends but all the other Shows and Movies have a good German Dub, so i watch it in German.

Well, if the German Version is available.  :wat:

I've only watched MLP in English but I have watched clips of the title song and various episodes in other languages courtesy of both YouTube and Equestria Daily providing links to those videos. If I could watch the show in another language on a more consistent basis, I'd like to watch the Japanese version.

Wouldn't dream of watching MLP in Dutch. Honestly, it's terrible. There are a couple of songs in Dutch that sound decent, but none of them are sung by the Mane 6. The English version is superior in every way.

My native language is Polish, so I like to watch MLP in Polish language.

They're derping here and there from time to time, but generally I like our dubbing - it isn't that bad.

To be honest there are songs, that I like more in English language and some that I think they were performed better in Polish, which results in me listening to both versions.  :-P

One thing I love in Polish dub is Spike's voice. It's totally different than in original, but personally I think it matches better to him, because he's cuter that way. x3

Not the best example, but that's what I managed to find:

• Brohoof 1

My native language is Chinese (but I'm Taiwanese), and sometimes I watch MLP in that language. The dubs have been getting better after each season, though it's a few episodes behind the main English version. 

The dubs tend to be softer toned, and since there aren't many translators from Taiwan or Hong Kong, sometimes the voices for some supporting characters can sound the same. 

I started watching it in german, but restarted the series in english at ~ episode 10.

At first I already was used to the german voices and it felt weird, but luckily I got used to the voice change (even though the german dub is still one of the better ones).

What I'd like to say: Nah, I only watch MLP in Vietnamese to confuse the shit out of myself.

What's actually true: I only watch in English; the one language I speak and understand.  I do like Rainbow Dash's Japanese dub voice, but I don't watch entire episodes and seasons in Japanese.