Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How would you rate each of the Mane 6 getting along with Starlight & Sunset

Ninjaed

Many have compared the two, and although it does them disservice imho as they are two separate characters with many differences, they do share a few similarities, one of which is being a part of the Mane cast.

And yet, we haven't seen much bonding from neither Starlight nor Sunset with each of the Mane 6, Twilight aside. And so, while people are asking for on-screen bonding, I'd like to ask you: how well would each of the Mane 6 get along with them both?

Number 1 should be "best one", number 6 should be "least good one". And yes, excluding other characters (sorry Trixie, sorry Spike), though it could be another nice question! Anyway, here's my rating:

Starlight:

1- Twilight (because of her redemption, the shared interest in magic and well...because Starlight has only bonded with her so far and the teacher/pupil relationship)

2- Rarity (Starlight's manecut change has to have been somepony's idea and thinking of that other thread about Rarity learning new spells, Starlight could help in that too...plus they both go to the spa)

3- Fluttershy (there's been no sign of them not getting along really, and Fluttershy is kind enough to forgive and go past Starlight's mistakes. Also Starlight got bear hugged in the S5 finale)

4- Dashie (I don't think she's one to hold grudges, especially when one has shown genuine concern over Dashie's friends - which Starlight now has done, with prowess)

5- Applejack (she tends to be friendly with pretty much everypony but Starlight has given her poorer impressions than with others...they can still get along, but they're off to a bad start)

6- Pinkie (same as Applejack, but probably slightly worse...it's quite the rare sight to see Pinkie so worked up, even Cranky couldn't, so that's a bad start all right. Although it seems to have gotten better, but Starlight still doesn't seem like the kind who's always like Pinkie's antics)

Sunset:

1- Twilight/Sci-Twi  (pretty much the same reasons as for Starlight, also adding the fact Sunset is pretty much Sci-Twi's moral and magic guide right now)

2- Dashie (maybe it's just me, but Sunset gives off some rocky and sportsy vibes which would mesh well with Dashie's personality)

3- Applejack (as I said above, Applejack tends to be friendly with pretty much everyone, and this time no bad impressions after redemption)

4- Pinkie (a bit of a tie with Rarity, as I can see both getting along with Sunset though without any kind of special affinity...but Pinkie has a slight advantage since Sunset doesn't seem to mind her antics)

5- Rarity (as for Rarity, I haven't seen many interactions between the two so far and I'm struggling to see what the two could bond over...)

6- Fluttershy (why poor Fluttershy in last position? Simply because human Fluttershy is still pretty reserved on top of me struggling to see what the two could bond over... I actually half-expected LoE to give them some moments together what with the forest setting, but oh well)

Edit: Ack... "Sunset" got cut in the title... If a moderator sees this, can they please edit the end of the title into "Starlight/Sunset" instead? Thanks :grin:

Edit2: Thanks PiratePony, both for the edit and the tip. I can be an idiot at times... :blush:

Edited by Ninjaed
  • Brohoof 2

You should also take the chapter books, "Sunset Shimmer's Time to Shine" and "Twilight's Sparkly Sleepover Surprise" into consideration regarding Sunset as they take place in-between the movies and provide some additional detail. For example, Sunset has become a math tutor and also volunteers at the animal shelter. She can interact with Fluttershy despite the books not detailing that and her tutoring can help her interact with any of the girls who happened to need help regarding math.

Also, the 2014 Holiday Special can also be used as Sunset got a chance to interact with Applejack on a couple of occasions although I will admit that she spent a good deal of time talking to Twilight. As for Starlight... her chapter book should be considered seeing as it was released recently yet I have no idea what it's about.

• Brohoof 3

As for Starlight... her chapter book should be considered seeing as it was released recently yet I have no idea what it's about.

Starlight's chapter book barely has her interacting with the Mane 5, and mostly has her interacting with Twilight and Spike instead, there aren't many conclusions you can draw from it there, mostly just reinforces her bond with those two.

• Brohoof 1

Starlight's chapter book barely has her interacting with the Mane 5, and mostly has her interacting with Twilight and Spike instead, there aren't many conclusions you can draw from it there, mostly just reinforces her bond with those two.

Really? Well that's disappointing to hear.

Really? Well that's disappointing to hear.

I still thought it was pretty good for what it did, like I said it does involve more of Starlight hanging out with and bonding with Twilight and Spike, which isn't a bad thing by any means. Though, it is a bit of a missed opportunity to have her get some bonding with the others even before the show really did.

• Brohoof 2

@@Ganondorf8,

I completely forgot about Sunset volunteering for the animal shelter! Gives her 4th place then, but I won't edit my first post for that. Thanks for pointing it out. :grin:

Still, she's further ahead in the redemption process yet hasn't had any kind of bonding with the others. They feel like secondary characters at this point, it's a shame... I hope the specials can solve that a bit. It'd be interesting to see how Sunset interacts with the others, would give more depth to her character and help the Mane 5 live up to the "Mane" part of their title.

Too bad Starlight's chapter doens't make her bond with the Mane 5, though I'd say it's because the writers have some plans in mind for the future. Maybe Starlight herself will be the one to bring up the fact she hasn't really bonded with the others and that doing so during a friendship lesson doesn't make it feel genuine or something. Can you say I'm hyped for the upcoming season? Naaaah...maybe? :pinkie:

• Brohoof 2

I know you want a list, but I just can't see it currently. All that has really done is montages with them as far as building any sort of relationship.... Except for Twi and Pinkie I have not seen her really "get along" with any of them. I don't think they hate her or dislike her, so much as none of them "know" her, or know how exactly to react around her. Maybe S7 they can do some actual adventures with them together or some one on one episodes or something to fix that, but for now I just see them sort of treating each other like the friend of a friend... which is what they are. Thus the list is:

1 - Twilight = Obviously

2 - Pinkie = Because Pinkie likes everybody. No matter how you act around her, nothing phases her. Starlight could turn her into a turnip and Pinkie would be fine with it.

3 - Everybody else = They just need to work on this a lot. Starlight has more going on with Discord than she does with any of those 4 at the moment, and that is actually pretty sad if they intend to make her a regular member of the cast.

• Brohoof 1

I still thought it was pretty good for what it did, like I said it does involve more of Starlight hanging out with and bonding with Twilight and Spike, which isn't a bad thing by any means. Though, it is a bit of a missed opportunity to have her get some bonding with the others even before the show really did.

I think Starlight needs to broaden her horizons and interact with the others more often than she does. I know Twilight is both her friend and teacher and lives at the castle, but she can't continue to rely on interacting with her all the time--Spike is included in this sense but not in the list proper.

@@Ganondorf8,

I completely forgot about Sunset volunteering for the animal shelter! Gives her 4th place then, but I won't edit my first post for that. Thanks for pointing it out. :grin:

Still, she's further ahead in the redemption process yet hasn't had any kind of bonding with the others. They feel like secondary characters at this point, it's a shame... I hope the specials can solve that a bit. It'd be interesting to see how Sunset interacts with the others, would give more depth to her character and help the Mane 5 live up to the "Mane" part of their title.

Too bad Starlight's chapter doens't make her bond with the Mane 5, though I'd say it's because the writers have some plans in mind for the future. Maybe Starlight herself will be the one to bring up the fact she hasn't really bonded with the others and that doing so during a friendship lesson doesn't make it feel genuine or something. Can you say I'm hyped for the upcoming season? Naaaah...maybe? :pinkie:

With Sunset, she only gets so much screentime given that she only has appeared in four, seventy-two minute movies, so she doesn't have much wiggle room to be able to interact with the others aside from Twilight/Sci-Twi. Plus, I think the writers want her mentor status with Sci-Twi to be more prevalent in the movies since what we have now is a reversal of what happened in the first movie. If the movies were a bit longer then Sunset could spend more time with her other friends, but unfortunately she doesn't get that luxury which again is due to time constraints.

Those three specials will each be twenty-two minutes so that doesn't give Sunset much time to interact with everyone who isn't named Twilight/Sci-Twi, but we'll have to see what they come up with.

• Brohoof 1

Sunset already feels like she's friends with the six so it's just a matter of the others not named Twilight getting an appearance with her

Starlight though... is another case entirely, she doesn't feel like she's friends with them, nor does it feel like she considered them friends...the show just wants us to assume they are

Edited by Soundwave
  • Brohoof 2

@@GrimGrimoire,

You forgot Sunset. :P

I kind of agree with you otherwise, but Starlight had a pretty bad start with Pinkie whom she made mad and pout. That's quite unusual for her, so that must count for something. The others... I'd still put Rarity and Fluttershy higher. Both just didn't fit the bill during that NSP episode, with the animals not counting as "friends" and the dress taking too long to be made - because for some reason, Rarity suddenly needs a week to make a single dress. For the others, bad impressions - Mrs Cake, Big Mac and NOT KNOWING THE WONDERBOLTS?!!

@@Ganondorf8,

You're right Sunset doesn't appear that regularly to have such luxury, but it could be with small doses here and again, instead of being 95% with Twilight/Sci-Twi. The new powers might be a good way to have them bond together...or could have been, since they apparently master them already. :dry:

That's why I kind of wish for a spin-off with EqG.

• Brohoof 1

You forgot Sunset. :P

I kind of agree with you otherwise, but Starlight had a pretty bad start with Pinkie whom she made mad and pout. That's quite unusual for her, so that must count for something. The others... I'd still put Rarity and Fluttershy higher. Both just didn't fit the bill during that NSP episode, with the animals not counting as "friends" and the dress taking too long to be made - because for some reason, Rarity suddenly needs a week to make a single dress. For the others, bad impressions - Mrs Cake, Big Mac and NOT KNOWING THE WONDERBOLTS?!!

I don't watch EQG.. so cannot comment.

Pinkie will be fine in less than 5 minutes. She does not do grudges unless she is wronged on some really deep level, and even then I think she won't hold one. She is just too optimistic and happy go lucky to let anything phase her for very long. Even the cake situation did not phase her... so as i said, I can see Pinkie getting along with her pretty much no matter what.

All of the others just seem horribly uncomfortable. In NSP when she spent that little time with each of them, she pissed off Applejack, shocked RD and made her suspicious, bailed on Fluttershy and did not seem to impress Rarity at all. Like I said... they don't hate her or anything, they just don't know how to proceed with her. It does not help that the writers fumbled the season when it came to trying to accomplish that particular goal.

Also, ELTSD did no one any favors when it comes to relationship building. Every character in that episode was handled poorly, and in a hurry to do something wacky that forsake character development, when they could have done both at the same time and gotten way better results all the way around with just simple little tweaks. Oh well... better luck next season.

@@Ganondorf8,

You're right Sunset doesn't appear that regularly to have such luxury, but it could be with small doses here and again, instead of being 95% with Twilight/Sci-Twi. The new powers might be a good way to have them bond together...or could have been, since they apparently master them already. :dry:

That's why I kind of wish for a spin-off with EqG.

At this point, an Equestria Girls spin-off would be an obvious choice considering that one movie per year isn't going to be an ideal arrangement forever: fans won't want to wait that long and Hasbro wouldn't like it because money wasn't being made when it comes to their toy sales. I think Sci-Twi is going to be fine by herself now since she has embraced the magic that was inside of her so now Sunset can focus on developing stronger bonds with the others.

• Brohoof 2

@@GrimGrimoire,

Forgot you're not watching EqG. For the rest, you're right they don't know how to handle her. And neither does she. ELTSD is a bit of a missed opportunity indeed. Just having at the end time spent with them but with a bit of dialogue instead of 5-10 seconds each would have accomplished much more.

Right now, it's pretty much as you say. Twilight, then Pinkie, then the others. I was thinking more about a bit later on in the show, admitting they've all bonded at least a bit. Who has the best chemistry? How do the others compare? That was more what I had in mind. That's also why I put Pinkie last, because Starlight seems to serious and stressed to truly enjoy her antics.

@@Ganondorf8,

Nothing for me to add here, just Hasbro, make this spin-off become a reality! Don't let it be just a dream! :(

@,

I agree with you, just to nuance though. Starlight and Sunset aren't at the same stage, redemption-wise. Starlight has barely reached the Rainbow Rocks point equivalent. Sunset is quite a fair distance ahead already. That's why it's doing a disservice to both characters. The Mane 6 were awkward around Sunset during RR as well.

Edited by Ninjaed

Jesus, finally a good Starlight topic . Overall, the bonding between mane 6 and Sunset is stronger than Starlight's, it's too obvious, i will take some scenes, moments in the show, not include comic and Legend of Everfree, it not an analysis, just an observation.

Sunset

Rainbow Rocks: 
+ We can see the mane 6 accepted her as a member of the group and go along with her, Sunset and her friends ALWAYS APPEAR IN THE SAME SCENE IN THE WHOLE MOVIE (+5)

+ They have a sleep over (+1)

+ Sunset helped the mane 6 defeat Siren and became the main part of the group (+10)

+ Sunset writes "Dear Princess Twilight"... (+5)

Two lastest Rainbow Rocks musical shorts (Friendship Through the Ages and My Past is not Today) 
+ Do i have to explain more!? Well, they look like a true group of friends now and based on Friendship Games, these musical clips are not A LIE   (i will talk about it later) (+5)
Friendship Games:
I dont score for the same achievement, Sunsets has been already a core of the group before Friendship Games so...
+ Sci-fi has a special bonds with Sunset and replace Twilight so... (+5)
+ Sunset is the leader of the group (+5)

Total score; 36

Starlight (here we go):
Screw the scores  :orly: This group of friends is NOT working. Here is why:
+ The S5 song is a lie, Every little things she does proved that.
+ The whole friendship things is just a program to cure Starlight anxiety and keep her from returning to her old ways.
+ Starlight absense in every mane 6 activity (Saddle Row, Newbie Dash...). Somepony called her Twilight's imaginated friend.
+  Starlight is TWILIGHT'S FRIEND, not mane 6's friend, it's Twilight who forced her. It's a Maud Pie situation here, a friend of your friend may not be our friend. 
+  Just like Sunset, Starlight has prove herself by defeat the villain, but she didnt fight along with the Mane 6 so...
+ Here is Starlight's Friend list when she needed: Twilight, Spike, Sunburst, and Trixie.

I love Starlight as a character but i DONT like what Twilight trying to force friendship upon her. The staffs should decide, if they want Starlight become a part of mane 6, do it properly, or else, let her go outside to make real friends or...... no, i dont want to think about it :wacko:

Ah, wait, oh crap, I'm off-topic here... Ok, back to topic.

Sunset

1.Twilight/Sci-fi: Twilight is the one who offer a chance to Sunset and Sunset do the same to Sci-fi. Their bonds are the best.

2. Rainbow Dash: They both drive motor cycles, and they both use electric guitar, i think they are best pair in sport competition.

3. Pinkie Pie: Too random, but it look like Sunset doesnt mind her at all.

4. Applejack = Rarity = Fluttershy, not enough clue.

Starlight  
1. Twilight: Twilight and Starlight share the same interest (magic), they are Student/teacher and friends at same time. Look how piss Twilight was when Trixie took Starlight away from her  :P YOU CANT TAKE AWAY HER PROPERTY
2. Rarity: She is pony who are the most "OK" with Starlight. I wonder why Starlight's hair look like the same with Rarity...

3. Applejack: She is first one in the group who forgive her in Every little thing she does. even she is Element of Honesty, she scolded Rainbow Dash for her brutal honesty in To where and back again.

4. Pinkie Pie: Yeah, Pinkie Pie loves everyone. However, she is the only one who didnt forgive Starlight instantly (my favorite portrayal of Pinkie), burn her cakes means an end to friendship  :lol:

5. Rainbow Dash: Starlight dont know anything about Wonderbolt, so they dont share the same interest.

6. Fluttershy: When Fluttershy talking about her animals, Starlight cut her out, again, Every little thing she does has any evidents you want :fluttershy: . However, it looks like Angel love Starlight, so Starlight is nice with animals, Fluttershy may have a chance. :fluttershy:
Edited by Lambdadelta
  • Brohoof 1

Sunset clearly has a much stronger relationship with the other members of the group she is supposed to be friends with. Even if I may be starting to warm up to her, she still doesn't interact with the remane 5 in any meaningful way, or feel like an actual friend to them.

@@Lambdadelta,

I don't exactly like either that Twilight is trying to "force friendship"...again. I'd just love to see an episode where she laments that the friendship lessons aren't doing much and Starlight more or less runs away, but Trixie is away (she is a travelling illusionist after all), Spike is with Twilight, and so on...and she ends up meeting one of the Mane 5, say Pinkie Pie. She sees her all moody and gloomy and decides to turn that frrown upside down - possibly with the help of other Mane 5. It doesn't exactly work as intended and Pinkie starts feeling a bit down, which is when Starlight cheers her up and confides in her. After letting out what she had on her mind, she feels much lighter and finally able to enjoy herself.

On the other hoof, Twilight is all angsty about what she's doing wrong and she asks for advice here and there, with the other Mane 5 telling her she's missing the point (hint hint). She then thinks back on how she befriended the Mane 5 and simulates a "threat" - which may or may not turn out to become more real than she intended. Twilight and Starlight eventually meet up again, the latter calling out on Twilight "what the hay?!" and Twilight tries to explain herself but stops midrack, seeing how much closer Starlight and Pinkie already were before they pitched in. Twilight then realises she has a tendancy to be too short-sighted and to think too much "by the book", acknowledging friendships come in many flavours and can happen in many ways...or something like that.

HAPPY END!! :squee:

... I should stop telling myself stories like that. :blush:

Sunset clearly has a much stronger relationship with the other members of the group she is supposed to be friends with. Even if I may be starting to warm up to her, she still doesn't interact with the remane 5 in any meaningful way, or feel like an actual friend to them.

It's true, undeniable even. But you must remember that the two are not at the same stage of redemption. Starlight is barely at a Rainbow Rocks equivalent. Sunset is currently way ahead, but used to feel "awkward" just the same in that film, being there with the other Manes. Comparing the two is unfair to Starlight and denies Sunset of the progress she has made by putting them on the same level.

Anyway, the aim of this thread was more to discuss the affinity Starlight and Sunset may have with each of the Mane 6. For instance, I feel like Sunset has the most affinity with Dashie and Starlight, with Rarity. Excluding Twilight of course. :D

... I should stop telling myself stories like that.

Fimfiction.net always welcome you with open hoofs :orly:. I am waiting for a day, a day Princess Twilight Sparkle realized how flawed her friendship program was. Somebody say Every little thing she does is Lesson Zero 2.0, THAT BULLCRAP :angry: , i will wait for a true "Lesson Zero", when Friendship study program is broken and a true friendship will be formed.  :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 1

Fimfiction.net always welcome you with open hoofs :orly:. I am waiting for a day, a day Princess Twilight Sparkle realized how flawed her friendship program was. Somebody say Every little thing she does is Lesson Zero 2.0, THAT BULLCRAP :angry: , i will wait for a true "Lesson Zero", when Friendship study program is broken and a true friendship will be formed.  :fluttershy:

Haha, we'll see :fluttershy:

I think ELTSD has similarities with Lesson Zero in their execution, but I disagree it was Starlight's version of Lesson Zero. Like you said, it discontinued something or rather, brought a change to it. We haven't seen anything of the sort yet. Maybe it has, who knows? There hasn't been a single episode with Starlight since, finale excluded. Interactions with the Mane 5 are quite scarce...and there hasn't been many on-screen friendship lessons either yet.

• Brohoof 1

There hasn't been a single episode with Starlight since, finale excluded. Interactions with the Mane 5 are quite scarce

If they can do what they did with Trixie or at least Spike, oh god, he enjoyed mocking Starlight  :orly:

Hum... I heard the movie will have no Starlight, so... Maybe she will depart the show in S7  :adorkable: Not enough time to develop friendship...

If they can do what they did with Trixie or at least Spike, oh god, he enjoyed mocking Starlight  :orly:

Hum... I heard the movie will have no Starlight, so... Maybe she will depart the show in S7  :adorkable: Not enough time to develop friendship...

Probably no Starlight and no Sunset (or EqG for that matter), as well as no changed-lings...and maybe no Discord? I mean, those are all spoilers so if the movie is trying to reel in more people, yeah. Makes sense they wouldn't be there. And I assume the movie was already in the works when they decided to add Starlight to the show cast as a non-villain. But let's try not to digress too much. :-P

• Brohoof 1

I'll just rank the mane six's ability to get along with Starlight.

1. Twilight - On top of how much interaction they've had, she's clearly been shown to be willing to allow Starlight get away with most anything, mostly so that she won't be seen as a poor mentor. 

2. Pinkie - Despite being quite angry that Starlight made her burn cake, Pinkie is pretty tolerant towards most people, even those who have wronged her. 

3. Fluttershy - Given how she has a fairly high tolerance for Discord's antics, I think that she would have a high tolerance for Starlight as well. 

4. Rarity - She acted quite stand-offish towards Starlight in their scene together in No Second Prances, and apparently would not let her borrow one of her many dresses. Her sense of generosity would probably also clash with Starlight's selfishness. 

5. Rainbow Dash - She has nothing in common with Starlight, and though she enjoys ribbing against Twilight, she clearly still respects her. I doubt she has much respect for Starlight. 

6. Applejack - She has received more evidence of Starlight's utterly broken sense of morality than the rest of her friends. On top of that, like with Dash, they have nothing in common. Given how she acts towards Flim and Flam, she obviously doesn't have much tolerance for those who wrong her family. I imagine that if Starlight ever did anything to Apple Bloom or Granny, she would refuse to have any more contact with her. 

@@Ninjaed, I edited your title as per your request.

As a friendly tip, to edit your own titles, which you click "edit," there is an option for "full editor."  Once under "full editor," the title can be edited.

Also if you need any assistance from a moderator, do not hesitate to contact us.

Take care!