Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Any tips for writing a MLP song?

Mystic Harmony

Hi, I'm new to the forum. 

I've recently started making Fan music and OC music (None has been uploaded yet), but I'm a little stuck on writing lyrics. Any tips on how to come up with some good lyrics? 

Thanks for any responses /)

Edit: Just realized the typo it the title, should be "an".

Edited by Mystic Harmony
  • Brohoof 1

Hi there! I can help! So, the way you can get started is think of a character, episode or scene from the show. Then, choose a genre of music. I suggest you start with piano, orchestral or rock. Electronica is to mainstream, plus it stales out after a while. If you want lyrics, the best thing to do is to not tie them directly to the scene by telling to much. Be descriptive and show how things occur in the scene. 

If you want to collab, leave me a shout on my profile and we can get started!

• Brohoof 1

Lyrics can be written in many different ways! The biggest thing for me though is showing, not teling (as mentioned above). For example:

Telling: He was happy.

Showing: He let out an excited gasp and grinned from cheek to cheek.

Basically, describe the emotion, or what is happening, instead of just up and say. This is a great way to add tons of emotion to lyrics, and have listeners connect with the song, or get a feeling for it.

However telling is not a bad thing. Packing your song with metaphor is going to make it look like you're trying too hard, and then you won't even know what your writing about.

Another thing that is great in songs is a hook line, or at least a chorus. A hook line is like a mini chorus, something that appears again over the course of the song. Hook lines, for me, are great because your song can become catchy, yet doesn't have to follow the same old boring song structures.

Look and observe your influences, who you want your music to be like. It's fine to imitate. You will have your own style in due time.

Finally, follow criticism. This site has no one who just insults people's music, but instead points out flaws and tries their best to help the musician in question.

Also C. Thunder Dash would be a great person to collab with.

Lengthy post but I hope it helps!!

• Brohoof 1

• 8 months later...

It really depends on if you want to be canon or headcanon.

If you want to be canon, I suggest "bouncing" off of one of their famous songs. (Rarity had a nice song in minor called "Life is a Runway")

If you want to be headcanon, think about the mood. I had one about changelings, so I changed the key signature and tempo often, to describe the feeling of being able to change. 

All in all, it depends on mood and, as Thunder Dash said, character. You need to really put yourself in the character's shoes to make it good. I find it the hardest part of songwriting/composing.