Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which pony least lives up to her element?

Ezynell

Which of the mane 6 least live up to her element?  

57 users have voted

1. 1. It's time to choose.

• Applejack
    • Fluttershy
    • Pinkie Pie
    • Rainbow Dash
    • Rarity
    • Twilight Sparkle

Hmm... I was pondering something, lemme see if I can word it. People always answer Rarity for this, but we forget something. In each episode, we all see a characters fault. Considering this, the character grows at the end of the episode. Rarity has had many, many episodes. So wouldn't she truly be closer to her element then say... Aj. Aj has had few episodes, so we never see her work with herself, while Rarity does. So Rarity is not in fact far from her element, as she has learned from her mistakes.

• Brohoof 2

I sorta hate topics like this because I think it causes people to over analyze the show, which everyone already does.

I hate seeing Rarity winning this because generosity is a hard thing to personify all the time. Because there is a moment where generosity becomes too much and you end up with people walking all over you. (This is actually mentioned on the first page of this thread.)

And just because they're whichever element they are, doesn't mean they can never not be that element. We've seen AJ lie, yes, lies of omission count. Fluttershy had an entire episode dedicated to being mean. RD be not so loyal. The problem with things like this is you're enforcing labels on people. Labels, or stereotypes, positive, or negative, can be hurtful and will not always be true.

I honestly don't think there's any one pony that personifies her element all the time. At least not to the point where I look at it and say "Wow, they're really stretching her character thin with this kind of attitude."

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I thought it was really interesting when they gave Rarity the element of generosity, looking at how she was portrayed in the beginning but in her defense, I can also see why the writers did it. Rarity is a tad uppity, vain, and materialistic. I don't think the creators wanted these traits to totally define her so they gave her the contrasting element. I think in terms of generosity she is meant to be a "good Samaritan." In everyday situations she doesn't really show her element but when someone is in need she is willing to give up what she wants in order to help that person; like when she cut her tail for the dragon (I was actually surprised to see her do that so willingly).

generosity is a hard thing to personify all the time. Because there is a moment where generosity becomes too much and you end up with people walking all over you.

I agree, I actually think that generosity is one of the hardest virtues to have; she may not be generous all the time but you gotta give her some slack.

Edited by Twilight Yagami
  • Brohoof 2

To be honest, I'm fine with the show's direction on allowing them to break elements which they are supposed to represent. Imposing such rigidity would've made most characters inorganic and hard-to-associate with. (aside from Pinkie Pie that is)

(edited)

This site is terrible when comparing the Mane 6 to each other for a negative trait because without fail it's always Rarity who is ganged up on as Chigens put it.

The Mane 6 all have moments of weakness and should be treated equally as such.

You all make The Doctor sad, angry, and hurt.

Yes, I mad so save your trollfaces

k not rly mad, but this is weaksauce and Trixie still sucks

Edited by Doctor XFizzle

I sorta hate topics like this because I think it causes people to over analyze the show, which everyone already does.

I hate seeing Rarity winning this because generosity is a hard thing to personify all the time. Because there is a moment where generosity becomes too much and you end up with people walking all over you. (This is actually mentioned on the first page of this thread.)

And just because they're whichever element they are, doesn't mean they can never not be that element. We've seen AJ lie, yes, lies of omission count. Fluttershy had an entire episode dedicated to being mean. RD be not so loyal. The problem with things like this is you're enforcing labels on people. Labels, or stereotypes, positive, or negative, can be hurtful and will not always be true.

I honestly don't think there's any one pony that personifies her element all the time. At least not to the point where I look at it and say "Wow, they're really stretching her character thin with this kind of attitude."

"I hate when people over analyze" What did you do then?

Yes, I mad so save your trollfaces

Posted Image

All of them have their bad moments. It would always seem that Rarity gets the most heat because she doesn't "live up" to her element as often as the others, which is actually quite true. However, when she is generous, it's always of great intent and is very high quality.

That's what the developers want us to do, really. Knowing we're interested in this stuff that way gives them more than enough reason to keep making more episodes and giving them an onslaught of ideas.

It's also the reason why there's so many fanfics circulating around the internet. :)

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Rainbow Dash is more of a jerk than Rarity, but since her element is loyalty and she doesn't ditch on her friends, she's considered a better pony. That's crazy. Just because you're an Element, it doesn't mean you HAVE to abide by that element 24/7. It's the trait that's strongest within you and that you exude higher than anyone else. I feel Rarity is held to a higher standard because she's Generosity while the others are not held to the same standard.

Yeah I went there, Rainbow fans. Poking dat beehive. (Let's not get carried away with this and start a yelling war. Boredom + teeny tiny bit fed up with Rarity hate = wanting to be bold and controversial :P)

and Trixie still sucks

Edited by Doctor XFizzle

"I hate when people over analyze" What did you do then?

I analyzed the elements they represent and stated how hard it is for anyone to personify any one element all the time. :)

That's what the developers want us to do, really.

I know, and I'm cool with it to a point. But when people start talking about continuity errors in like background animations and stuff like that, it's gone too far, in my eyes. It is after all, just a cartoon. That's just me though.

I personally do not mind Rarity; in fact she is my favorite one in the show. I believe she has the most potential to grow out of all six. Although she needs to sort out her obsession of getting into Carterlot society, which so far has been revealing to have a very few 'competent' ponies surrounded by the glory-leeching snobs, she is self-driven and demands perfection of her own work and is very critical of herself. It takes that kind of mentality to truly reach the highest level of what you can be capable of.

I just see a very few room for self-improvement from Applejack or Fluttershy, Twilight Sparkles' drive is largely dependent on her bond with Celestia and Rainbow Dash still has a high degree of immaturity and over-competitive issues.

Rainbow Dash is more of a jerk than Rarity, but since her element is loyalty and she doesn't ditch on her friends, she's considered a better pony. That's crazy. Just because you're an Element, it doesn't mean you HAVE to abide by that element 24/7. It's the trait that's strongest within you and that you exude higher than anyone else. I feel Rarity is held to a higher standard because she's Generosity while the others are not held to the same standard.

Yeah I went there, Rainbow fans. Poking dat beehive. (Let's not get carried away with this and start a yelling war. Boredom + teeny tiny bit fed up with Rarity hate = wanting to be bold and controversial :P)

and Trixie still sucks

You should be so glad this isn't a certain section of a certain non-4chan imageboard.

All of them have their moments, but what can you expect? They're just ponies. However, I think it's Rarity that most contradicts her element of generosity. On more than one occasion, she's claimed something as her own, shouting "MINE!". Of course, she does have a taste for luxury and nice things, but still, she's showing greed, not generosity. Sorry Rarity.

She yells because no one listens too her. And sometimes her meaness in unintentionall. putting your hoof down being a counter example.

Also, She was probally just so confused by the animals being afraid of her that she simply lost it.

Yeah I suppose. I guess I just chose her cus I don't really like her ..

Rainbow Dash in my mind loyalty is sticking by your friends no matter what yet time and time again she ignores them to try and meet the wonderbolts, who don't care about her. She never listens to her friends problems and only looks out for herself instead of encouraging her friends to be better. Also EVERYTHING is a competition with her. Can't you just hang out with your friends?

Oh yea, I forgot about that episode where she lied about the competition and winning the ribbons :P

She didn't lie. She didn't tell the whole truth but she didn't lie.

I'm going to have to go with applejack here, certain parts of the show she dosn't really tell the truth....

IIRC, the only time she lied (Skipped over Dragon Quest, Sweet and Elite and Show Stoppers) was in Party of One when she said they were doing construction.

In The Last Roundup, I don't remember outright lying. I don't remember her telling the whole truth either.