Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology What code editor do you use?

Kaneki

Do you use Sublime Text, Atom, Brackets, Notepad++, or another code editor? Why do you like that one over the others?

I like Atom. It's similar to Sublime Text, without the nagging (when you haven't bought it yet), and has a deep amount of custom plugins and themes you can install. Plus, it's put out by the guys at GitHub, and I just adore that company.

• Brohoof 2

I used Sublime Text for a while when it was relevant to me. The full version. I liked the autocomplete features but I don't really code much anymore.

I used to use IntelliJ Idea for it's autocomplete but it was lagging a bit for me. I've switched to Atom now with a few plugins and it's going really well for web development

• Brohoof 1

@@Cloggedone

As this is dealing with code it has been moved to the appropriate sub-section.

Thanks. :)

You can't go wrong with either Atom or Sublime. I've used both. I do prefer Atom, but I feel it's like as close to a tie as it gets. If you are short of funds you can download Sublime for free, but you will have to deal with the purchase reminder popping up after every few saves.

Vim because I can be almost guaranteed vi will be on any Linux box I work on. VSCode is also pretty good, especially when im working with python, but I have yet to get it working properly with nodeJS.

Vim because I can be almost guaranteed vi will be on any Linux box I work on. VSCode is also pretty good, especially when im working with python, but I have yet to get it working properly with nodeJS.

Vim is really lovely if you know it! I've used it a lot over SSH on my servers. ;)

Sublime Text, also i use IDEs like Netbeans for Java and PHP, and Visual Studio for C++.

Maybe in the future i will replace Sublime Text for VSCode or GVim, idk

Never used NetBeans for much, is it good? I was gonna use it for Java but I no longer have the desire to do any Java programming.

Plus if I did, I have Eclipse anyway.

Edited by Cloggedone

For anything like Java, Python, Ruby, and other high-level languages, you can't go wrong with JetBrains' various products. For C, C++, and general editing, Sublime Text is where it's at.

• Brohoof 1

Never used NetBeans for much, is it good? I was gonna use it for Java but I no longer have the desire to do any Java programming.

Plus if I did, I have Eclipse anyway.

I also started programming Java with Eclipse, but nowadays I preffer NetBeans over it because its debugger and documentation (and community) it's much better (at least for me)

Edited by Faze Five
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Qt Creator.  Oh look first QT mention.  I decided on Qt Creator just because I prefer working closer to the C libraries, and QT itself handles C++/QML GUI across many platforms.  I have not heard of Atom or Sublime Text before, so I am at least going to give them a try now.

Vim is really lovely if you know it! I've used it a lot over SSH on my servers. ;)

I also use Vim a lot, probably almost as much as Qt Creator.  It does not have the auto-complete or live syntax of an IDE, but it is unbeatable for quick edits, remote access, and it even works on new platforms like Ubuntu Touch.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Visual Studio Code ftw

(EDIT: I use SharpDevelop for C#, though it doesn't support C#7, it does what it does and with a lite file size)

Edited by Vinyl Melody
Added C# desc since I also code in CS

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Man, Sublime used to be my go to, until I discovered Brackets, then I started using Notepad ++, and ended up leaving it and started using LightTable, I pretty much use that, but it depends on what language I'm writing in, ya know, compatibility issues with compiling and all.