Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology What code editor do you use?

Kaneki

There seem to be a lot of Sublime users here! It is a very handy and intuitive editor. I use Sublime as a general text editor and for coding simple programs in C and Java. For larger programs in C++ and Java, I use Visual Studio and IntelliJ, respectively. When working with C# in Unity, I just use the MonoDevelop IDE that comes with it. I have also on occasion used Vim and Emacs on Linux machines when other editors are unavailable.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Dang, not much love for Visual Studio and Visual Studio Code here. That's a shame considering some of your beloved Poniverse staff have started using it (and have liked it).

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Brackets for light stuff and web stuff, because I love how lightweight and snappy it is. And how unobtrusive the autocomplete is.

For C++ I tend to use Visual Studio because it's just so beefy and solid. And I've spent a lot of hours building many-thousand-of-lines projects. A lot of other editors tend to start dying a bit at the 2 or 3 thousand mark, I find. Also lovely broken CLR support.

Python is either Pycharm (*unf* sadly I cannot afford a thing these days:(() or Spyder/Python's own IDLE. Both have their pros and cons: Spyder is awesome, has great displays, and is great for integration with Conda, etc. and allows you to test in a temporary file. But it's so slow to start on my machine. IDLE is fast, snappy, but lacking in some pretty basic features, like line numbers.

Rather than starting us off with text editors, my high school threw us into the hungry jaws of IDEs... 

I guess the thing which most accurately answers the question is Vim for C projects in school :pinkie: I grab whatever the latest Eclipse is for java and use Pycharm for Python of course! 

Edited by Beached Whale

• 1 year later...

I use netbeans for java development, but Visual Studio Code for everything else (and for opening projects which won't open in netbeans for some reason)

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

Usually it's Eclipse for Java development and Notepad++ most of the time for anything else (like Python or Lua). I've used Sublime Text (v2) and VIM a bit, particularly for C in some of my college classes and I like them both. But NPP is better for WIndows and I'm not keen on what seems like an excessive price to actually have a ST license (it's up to $80 now). Atom and VS Code are neat, but both are too unsure of what exactly there are imho and then, well Electron...

Edited by StormyVenture

(edited)

Notepad++ or Kate for the bigger things and nano for the small scripts that would be not worth the hassle to edit in one of the other ones.

However, I do not usually edit large programs that consist of many files.

Edited by Pentium100

• 3 weeks later...

Gonna sound dumb, but usually I go with notepad (literally notepad) on windows or gedit when on anything linux with GNOME. I kind of grew too lazy on college and just use those, then I compile on whatever compiller needed, except when doing stuff in C# because I use mono because Unity3D installs it.

Unless I am hunting bugs. Then I use either codeblocks or whatever comes with a direct test thingie. Like when I did flash stuff or when running simulations with matlab.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Yep, can confirm, sounds dumb.

Notepad is right up there with the worst editors ever. For one it doesn't respect/understand anything other than Windows line endings. Also word wrap is a select-able feature that shouldn't even exist, because enabling it means you can't tell the difference between a file that is just one long line and one with actual line breaks. I'm sure I could come up with a few other reasons. It's even more terrible when it comes to coding for a hundred reasons, not least because it doesn't syntax highlighting, indentation handling, line numbers (and jumping to them), and half a dozen other really useful baseline features..

It's okay for quick note taking, reading old school text documentation for games/software, and editing config files. For every other case I'd rather use almost anything else.

Edited by StormyVenture

I use pycharm ide. Otherwise i just use idle for python. I might use notepad++ for some stuff and i used a bit of visual studio code even tho it's meh to me lol 

I've been learning some vim too. And I have atom installed just for some web project stuff.